Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 184
    I was waiting for my new phone (non iPhone) and I was given a loaner iPhone at work. I only had it for 4 days and the nightmare I had to live because of it was ridiculous. All of you ranting and raving about "do this, do that" probably don't live in the business world. If I pay a service on a $600 phone, I don't expect to have to jump through hoops, reconfigure the world, contact every person I texted with instructions on how to fix their texts to me because I used an iPhone for 4 days nor should I feel responsible for a multi billion companies mistake, or what I think is a purpose built strategy. I had people pissed at me for not replying to them and even some thought I suddenly quit my company of 14 yrs. Yes, you can say, why didn't they call or google "why isn't my text going through" but why? Being a victim of this problem, I agree with her. Its not about the money. Its about apple doing the right thing and fixing it. Like how you can't charge your iPhone with a "non-apple" cord, this is just another example of apple controlling their customers. Break free of this bs and stand up to them. You are an American right?
  • Reply 102 of 184
    Tried it and it didn't work. Again, why should I, the consume be doing all the work, when apple can fix it?
  • Reply 103 of 184
    Nope, I had loaner iPhone for 4 days and I became a prisoner to imessage. I sat with my friend, deleted my profile, reconfigured it, etc and it still won't send as SMS. Again, its not about the money. Its about apple doing the right thing and fixing it. You can badmouth the little guy all you want and defend a multi billion dollar organization. I'm defending the little guy who's simply trying to get a well known issue fixed. But I'm sure that Tim is paying your mortgage and your bills. That's why you're so loyal to him, right?
  • Reply 104 of 184
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I think this lady actually thought she will will be able to receive iMessages after switching to Android.  This is like the smartphone kill mechanism many Android users want that they coerced lawmakers to force smartphone makers to implement it although I think Apple has a patent.  

She thought she could continue receiving text messages. There should be a end user handshake that ensures a message got through, if the handshake doesn’t happen then the message should be resent via SMS. It's not that hard.
  • Reply 105 of 184
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hadn't seen that. Thanks.

I also didn't know that existed or had forgotten about it which still leads me to the same conclusion that there should be a more obvious solution. But I agree the lawsuit is unnecessary, but I also feel that way about most of these lawsuits.

PS: I had a crap load of devices on there. My original iPhone, iPad and Apple TV were all on there as well over a dozen more devices.

There should be one single place to go and deactivate a phone. I've already read about 5 different "all you have to do" solutions.
  • Reply 106 of 184

This is the most pathetic and desperate attempt I've seen to make a quick buck and grab some attention...

It is very simple.. Regardless of where her "sim card" came from whether it be that the sim card came with her iPhone or she placed it in the iPhone from another device; When she activated the iPhone, she created a iCloud account, she activated iMessage willingly and had communicated effectively with her contacts that also use the same features, iPhone, iPad, Mac. 

When this woman decided to just yank the sim card out and place it in a non-iPhone device, it seems to be that she never deactivated her iCloud account from being associated with iMessage and simply just place the sim card into the non-iPhone device which is fine and that won't interfere with her sending SMS to contacts that are using only SMS, furthermore it too won't interfere with her sending SMS to contacts that use iMessage if they have "SMS" activated along with "iMessage" but if she and the recipient held any previous conversation with iMessage and she sends them an SMS from the non-iPhone device and they reply in the same window using their iPhone or other Apple device that uses the same iMessage service, by default their device will attempt to send their message as iMessage and if this women's iPhone she formerly used is connected to wifi and her iCloud account is assigned to iMessage which is also still activated than those message will be sent to iMessage and ignore her SMS.

If this womann had half the brain it took to file this law suit (if this is the case) than she should undo the settings that she, herself took to activate iMessage so that she may use SMS without any possible inference!

This lawsuit will more than likely be dismissed and never reach "class status" 

Chase~

• Reply 107 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There should be one single place to go and deactivate a phone. I've already read about 5 different "all you have to do" solutions.

The problem with these "all you have to do" solutions is NOT the complexity (or rather, lack thereof) in the steps detailed but the fact that people simply don't know they exist. How many people that read this site immediately upon seeing the article thought to themselves, "Just go to supportprofile.apple.com"? I didn't even know it existed and I consider myself fairly well versed in Apple's products and services and have no qualms about doing a modicum of research to find a solution. How is it this site has escaped me for so long?

Since it's the same login as your iCloud ID I don't see why all this can't be organized under the same site. Even if it needs a portal put a Settings icon in iCloud that will allow you to access all your registered devices. And perhaps, at least, a modal view on the iPhone that warns you that if you're disabling iMessage for a phone number that you'll still receive iMessages to that number unless you deactivate your device, even though I'd rather it just be smart enough to know when you no longer have a device registered with iMessage that is accepting of a phone number as a valid address.
  • Reply 108 of 184
    usarmyctr wrote: »
    If this womann had half the brain it took to file this law suit (if this is the case) than she should undo the settings that she, herself took to activate iMessage so that she may use SMS without any possible inference!

I see nothing about switching SIM cards in a phone that indicates she doesn't have a brain. Isn't SIM card switch the method that telcos instruct you to switch devices for the same account?
  • Reply 109 of 184

Okay-- 

Well, you suggest that resolving issues is a matter of "complexity" however, it wasn't so complex or perhaps it was when you or this women set up iMessage and the same steps you took to set it up are the same ones you take to deactivate the feature!

You say "complexity in the steps detailed but the fact that people simply don't know they exist."

To that I say... You and others had fair enough common sense to set up features and you and other should use the same common sense to turn the features off!

No need to read "support forums" 

Follow the steps you took to activate features and services in reverse... Very simple eh?!

Chase

• Reply 110 of 184

The issue is not with her "sim card"

My post in this forum more than cover the issue. (read all) 

• Reply 111 of 184
    Okay-- 

Well, you suggest that resolving issues is a matter of "complexity" however, it wasn't so complex or perhaps it was when you or this women set up iMessage and the same steps you took to set it up are the same ones you take to deactivate the feature!

You say "complexity in the steps detailed but the fact that people simply don't know they exist."

To that I say... You and others had fair enough common sense to set up features and you and other should use the same common sense to turn the features off!

Follow the steps you took to activate features and services in reverse... Very simple eh?!

Chase

Aren't these features activated by simply clicking a switch on the device? If activation was that simple why isn't deactivation just as simple?
  • Reply 112 of 184
    Chase needs to chill out and understand that the ends will justify the means. This has been a known, ongoing issue and apple is ignoring it. Why don't they just fix it? She's not attacking the apple user community. She's calling out a corporate giant that accepts money from consuming based on the idea that the customer should be happy. A lot of people are not happy. Just accept the fact that people are moving off the iPhone to something else. They're not traders or losers, they're simply move on to something else....you know what America was built on, freedom and the right to choose without persecution.
  • Reply 113 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    This is the most pathetic and desperate attempt I've seen to make a quick buck and grab some attention...

It is very simple.. Regardless of where her "sim card" came from whether it be that the sim card came with her iPhone or she placed it in the iPhone from another device; When she activated the iPhone, she created a iCloud account, she activated iMessage willingly and had communicated effectively with her contacts that also use the same features, iPhone, iPad, Mac. 

When this woman decided to just yank the sim card out and place it in a non-iPhone device, it seems to be that she never deactivated her iCloud account from being associated with iMessage and simply just place the sim card into the non-iPhone device which is fine and that won't interfere with her sending SMS to contacts that are using only SMS, furthermore it too won't interfere with her sending SMS to contacts that use iMessage if they have "SMS" activated along with "iMessage" but if she and the recipient held any previous conversation with iMessage and she sends them an SMS from the non-iPhone device and they reply in the same window using their iPhone or other Apple device that uses the same iMessage service, by default their device will attempt to send their message as iMessage and if this women's iPhone she formerly used is connected to wifi and her iCloud account is assigned to iMessage which is also still activated than those message will be sent to iMessage and ignore her SMS.

This lawsuit will more than likely be dismissed and never reach "class status" 

Chase~

Okay-- 

Chase

And yet, even doing all that doesn't work all the time. People have done the correct steps and still can't receive text.
  • Reply 114 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The problem with these "all you have to do" solutions is the complexity in the steps detailed but the fact that people simply don't know they exist. How many people that read this site immediately upon seeing the article thought to themselves, "Just do supportprofile.apple.com"? I didn't even know it existed and I consider myself fairly well versed in Apple's products and services and have no qualms about doing a modicum of research to find a solution. How is it this site has escaped me for so long?

Since it's the same login as your iCloud ID I don't see why all this can't be organized under the same site. Even if it needs a portal put a Settings icon in iCloud that will allow you to access all your registered devices. And perhaps, at least, a modal view on the iPhone that warns you that if you're disabling iMessage for a phone number that you'll still receive iMessages to that number unless you deactivate your device, even though I'd rather it just be smart enough to know when you no longer have a device registered with iMessage that is accepting of a phone number as a valid address.

Agree with this whole heartedly, and, since I've also just discovered this http://supportprofile.apple.com site, and a couple of sadly missed products registered to me on there, I'd also like for the portal to allow you to report a device as stolen.

• Reply 115 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The irreparable harm was caused by switching from iOS to Android, just as you would expect.

Would've happened switching to any other mobile OS.  The fault was with the source, not the destination.  Nice try though.

• Reply 116 of 184

She signed into iMessage on her iPhone to add the phone number. As noted simply signing out of iMessage on her iPhone doesn't remove that phone number from the iMessage server.
  • Reply 117 of 184
    Terrible analogy. Hondas are bullet proof, last forever and cheap to fix. Mercedes on the other hand break down all the time, are expensive to fix and you HAVE TO go to an authorized (which means overpriced) dealer to fix. My ego doesn't need to be fed by peer pressure and what the "cool guy" is doing. Once again, this lady just wants apple to do the right thing and fix this issue. Why are you all making this about something else
  • Reply 118 of 184
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    mr. h wrote: »
    I think suing is way over the top, but this is a problem for which Apple needs to develop a better solution. It's too easy to be ignorant of the fact that - or to forget that - you need to deactivate iMessage before moving to a different type of phone.

Similarly, it can be easy, when selling a device, to forget to deactivate it for iTunes purchases. Normally, you can only deactivate a device from that specific device, but if you've already sold it, it can be too late. In that case, Apple offers a mechanism that allows you to deactivate all devices, via a log-in to your iTunes account from any device, and the effect is immediate. They need some way that a user can deactivate iMessage without needing the actual device and without having to wait for 45 days.

I think that's a wise description of the situation. I'm an unapologetic Apple fan but I think this is very bad PR for the company. If another phone maker was doing this the howls of anguish on this forum would be unimaginable because people would suspect it was intentional. Fix is needed.
  • Reply 119 of 184
    That will always be a feature of the walled garden Apple policy.
    If you want to interact with the outside world then you should learn before quitting.

I guess with Apple interfering with SMS, it could be argued that Apple are intentionally undermining a feature of the more open world.
    They could have made iMessage more world wide web compatible, but it is really there to compete against 'open'.

That would be another way to resolve it, yes. Either release iMessage for all platforms (and keep it closed source) or just make it open source and allow others to make apps for their platforms. However, AFAIK, iMessage is powered by Apple's server farm, so unless they're willing to service everyone for free, or create some kind of payment system for other platforms, or open up the back-end to competitors is something that has to be addressed. It's not a peer-to-peer system. And the problem with opening up the protocol is that there would be nothing to stop mobile carriers from saying: ok, iMessage is the new SMS, so we can charge you per message (or per device).

(And of course as a non-Apple user you are forgiven for misunderstanding that iMessage does not interfere with SMS at all--as an iPhone user, I can force my iPhone to send SMS to another iPhone if I really wanted to, but I don't)

And contrary to what you might think, Apple has put technologies into open source, most notably WebKit and the Darwin kernel.
  • Reply 120 of 184
    I had an iPhone for 4 days. I never signed into anything at all. I simply sent a text and got sucked into this prison.