Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 184
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    She thought she could continue receiving text messages. There should be a end user handshake that ensures a message got through, if the handshake doesn’t happen then the message should be resent via SMS. It's not that hard.

What you are describing is what happens if you properly unregister your iPhone and other iMessage devices from your iCloud account. I know because I have a friend who did just that: switched to android, but cleanly unregistered. After that, when I send him a message, it tries to send via iMessage, fails the handshake (because iMessage tracks that) and then my iPhone will automatically resend the message as SMS a few seconds later. I have seen it work as design. And this feature has been there since at least the iMessage in iOS 6. So no, what you are describing is not that hard because that's how iMessage works already.

The issue is about people who don't properly unregister their device from iMessage before selling or disposing of it. I believe Apple hasn't done enough to make it easy for Apple users to unregister a device--I proposed that one should be able to login to iCloud and do it over the Web.

I don't believe, however, that lawsuits are the solution, unless Apple customer service flat out told these customers there was nothing Apple could/would do about it, or if the company promised and failed to deliver a fix. Then sue Apple.
  • Reply 122 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I guess with Apple interfering with SMS, it could be argued that Apple are intentionally undermining a feature of the more open world.

There is no evidence to support Apple is intentionally interfering with SMS. If that were the case they could have not included it with iOS in the first place or removed it after iMessage was added. Are they intentionally undermining it? Well, creating an alternative system to SMS/MMS is evidence enough of that but you could also say that WebKit undermined IE and Firefox's marketshare and iOS undermined Symbian and WinMo's marketshare, but the notion that being a competitor is wrong isn't a reasonable argument anyone should take.

What we have here is iOS defaulting to the free and more versatile iMessage over the archaic and costly SMS service. That's it. Although Apple should change their system so it's more intelligent and easier for a customer to remove a device there is no proof of any skullduggery.
  • Reply 123 of 184
    It would be versatile if it worked cross platform.

If users were more slow to adopt iMessage would by now have adapted to the real world.
  • Reply 124 of 184
    It would be versatile if it worked cross platform.

It is. iOS and Mac OS X. Why does it need to work outside of Apple's OSes? If you want that there are plenty of options on the App Store that are universal, like AIM, or the Jabber-based IMs like GTalk.
    If users were more slow to adopt iMessage would by now have adapted to the real world.

No idea what this means, but iMessage adoption has been extremely fast. Perhaps even the fastest adopted messaging system in the world.
  • Reply 125 of 184
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/43337/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

The answer is easy. Just tell her friends to turn on send message as SMS when iMessage is not available.
  • Reply 126 of 184
    crosslad wrote: »

The answer is easy. Just tell her friends to turn on send message as SMS when iMessage is not available.

But isn't the problem that your contacts still get a blue button to send to your phone number because that's still registered with the iMessage Server?
  • Reply 127 of 184
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The irreparable harm was caused by switching from iOS to Android, just as you would expect.

Would've happened switching to any other mobile OS.  The fault was with the source, not the destination.  Nice try though.

You're correct; the fault was with the source-her stupidity.

• Reply 128 of 184
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    rtdunham wrote: »
    I think that's a wise description of the situation. I'm an unapologetic Apple fan but I think this is very bad PR for the company. If another phone maker was doing this the howls of anguish on this forum would be unimaginable because people would suspect it was intentional. Fix is needed.

If you read some of the previous quotes you will find that it is quite easy to unregistered your device via any web browser, which then disassociates it with iMessage. It can be done AFTER you have changed phones, from any computer , on any operating system, on any web browser. So no further "fixes" are needed, it's already in place.
  • Reply 129 of 184
    leighr wrote: »
    If you read some of the previous quotes you will find that it is quite easy to unregistered your device via any web browser, which then disassociates it with iMessage. It can be done AFTER you have changed phones, from any computer , on any operating system, on any web browser. So no further "fixes" are needed, it's already in place.

Tell me how that is an obvious solution. Where does anything on Apple's site state that it will delete your phone number from the iMessage server?
  • Reply 130 of 184
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Tell me how that is an obvious solution. Where does anything on Apple's site state that it will delete your phone number from the iMessage server?

Similarly when I tried sending a SMS message from hangouts they did not send until I found out you have to change the setting to SMS. iPhones do this automatically so you don't have to choose manually each time you send a message. I can't remember Google telling me how to do this.
  • Reply 131 of 184
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member

Way to prove you have failed to read and understand the issues raised in this thread.

You do know that even when people do all the things they are "supposed" to do, it sometimes still doesn't work and they don't receive messages?

Do you actually have any evidence that this method works? Have you ever done it yourself? Did you know about the supportprofile site before? There's plenty of evidence that even when people follow the non-obvious steps to try and extricate themselves from iMessage, that it doesn't always work. Often the only solution requires action from the person sending the message, and frankly this is not acceptable. Apple need to develop a fully automatic method that requires no intervention from message senders.
  • Reply 132 of 184
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Exactly. Apple's support page on iMessage doesn't even mention it! I seriously doubt that the supportprofile route is the piece of the puzzle missed by those that are having issues.

Apple's support page on iMessage states that in order to stop being a part of iMessage, you just have to turn it off on your device. This is demonstrably not true. There is a real issue here and Apple should fix it.
  • Reply 133 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    mr. h wrote: »
    Exactly. Apple's support page on iMessage doesn't even mention it! I seriously doubt that the supportprofile route is the piece of the puzzle missed by those that are having issues.

Apple's support page on iMessage states that in order to stop being a part of iMessage, you just have to turn it off on your device. This is demonstrably not true. There is a real issue here and Apple should fix it.

You turn it off it stops working, you do something stupid like being talked into switching and wipe your iPhone without turning it off then it's your own fault.

I switch it off when I put my SIM in my Galaxy S4 and receive SMS no problems, I switched it off when I went overseas so I didn't use data also no problem, when I got a SIM with data on it I switched it back on.

It was very convenient to receive iMessages on my Australian number using a Fijian SIM.

It's just another sucker conned by the usual second rate crap experience brought to you by Android.
  • Reply 134 of 184
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    You turn it off it stops working, you do something stupid like being talked into switching and wipe your iPhone without turning it off then it's your own fault.

I switch it off when I put my SIM in my Galaxy S4 and receive SMS no problems, I switched it off when I went overseas so I didn't use data also no problem, when I got a SIM with data on it I switched it back on.

It was very convenient to receive iMessages on my Australian number using a Fijian SIM.

It's just another sucker conned by the usual second rate crap experience brought to you by Android.

How do you know that they were conned into switching? Ms. Moore had at least a 2 week period in which she was able to return the phone that she was according to you 'conned' into buying. Instead she chose to keep the device, and find a solution to her problem of which we don't know what steps she took in a attempt to resolve them.
  • Reply 135 of 184
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Way to prove you have failed to read and understand the issues raised in this thread.

You do know that even when people do all the things they are "supposed" to do, it sometimes still doesn't work and they don't receive messages?

Do you actually have any evidence that this method works? Have you ever done it yourself? Did you know about the supportprofile site before? There's plenty of evidence that even when people follow the non-obvious steps to try and extricate themselves from iMessage, that it doesn't always work. Often the only solution requires action from the person sending the message, and frankly this is not acceptable. Apple need to develop a fully automatic method that requires no intervention from message senders.

Yes, is my role in I.T. Support at a school I've done this a couple of times for Teachers who have switched from iPhones to Android phones, and it's worked without any issues.  I agree that it may not be obvious to the non-technical, and I think I found the site by searching Apple's KB, but I guess you can't expect them to have a big banner on the front page saying "Have you bought an Android phone - here's what to do". 

• Reply 136 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Find me the faultless method to turn an iMessage connection to your phone number off.
    Find me the clearly signposted Apple support document that tells a user that they need to do this, and how to do it.

Then you can call the user stupid.

Or, stop being a blowhard and realise that this is Apple's implementation and guidance problem.
  • Reply 137 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Find me the faultless method to turn an iMessage connection to your phone number off.

Find me the clearly signposted Apple support document that tells a user that they need to do this, and how to do it.

Then you can call the user stupid.

Or, stop being a blowhard and realise that this is Apple's implementation and guidance problem.

Settings>Messages

Not stupid enough for you?

• Reply 138 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How do you know that they were conned into switching? Ms. Moore had at least a 2 week period in which she was able to return the phone that she was according to you 'conned' into buying. Instead she chose to keep the device, and find a solution to her problem of which we don't know what steps she took in a attempt to resolve them.

Stupid and conned into thinking her experience would be better and conned by whoever talked her into an android phone without going to settings>messages and sliding the iMessage switch to off.

She was too dumb to realise that wiping and selling her iPhone without taking this simplest of steps would lead to the usual second rate, shitty Android experience.

• Reply 139 of 184
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Stupid and conned into thinking her experience would be better and conned by whoever talked her into an android phone without going to settings>messages and sliding the iMessage switch to off.

She was too dumb to realise that wiping and selling her iPhone without taking this simplest of steps would lead to the usual second rate, shitty Android experience.

Again, how do you know she was conned? Could be that there wasn't a salesperson involved with the increasing number of people ordering online.

It's obvious that the solution isn't as simple as you suggest. That's evident with the 4-5 different suggestions I've read on here from various posters.

I have much respect for you, but your continued blaming of the victim is childish, and immature. What's done is done. Let's not harp on the why, and how but on the what can be done to remedy the problem.
  • Reply 140 of 184
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    disturbia wrote: »
    Agreed and on the same note, I would love to show her in person! :smokey:

But she needs a larger screen.