Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    crowley wrote: »
    Smart Switch is about transferring data, not ensuring that your previous handset hadn't hijacked part of your SMS service.

This problem has nothing to do with Samsung.  Poor form to suggest that it does.

Why not Smart Switch backs up messages.

jasonx wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

scotty321 wrote: »
    I fully support this lawsuit 100%. It is completely unethical & illegal that Apple is hijacking people's text messages, just because those people decide to switch to a different phone.

At the very least, Apple should give people the option to log into the iCloud website and disable iMessage.

For those people commenting here that this woman should have known better, I'd love to see the temper tantrums you would be throwing if this happened to you. So just shut your traps. Your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant.

iMESSAGE IS OPT IN, OPT IN AS IN YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AND AGREE TO IT BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT.

Hey here's an idea, do a little research BEFORE you get pressured to "switch".
  • Reply 62 of 184
    It's her fault for switching to a galaxy. That's her iphone 4 revenge on her. The iPhone did the right thing
  • Reply 63 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why not Smart Switch backs up messages.

iMESSAGE IS OPT IN, OPT IN AS IN YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP AND AGREE TO IT BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT.

Hey here's an idea, do a little research BEFORE you get pressured to "switch".

No, you should do a little research. There are tons of people that" opt out" and do what they are supposed to do before leaving and still don't get text messages no matter what they do. That's all on Apple. Stop blindly defending this one issue as you are so very wrong. This is a major issue that has been going on for a long time and Apple has done nothing to fix it.
  • Reply 64 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Interesting predicament. The easy answer is to disable the phone number as a viable address option as soon as you log out of iMessage or wipe your device. However, you can also have iMessages go to other devices that use that phone number. Should the system disable that phone number a valid address if, say, if your phone was lost, stolen or broke? What if you have a Mac or iPad but still like to use that phone number as your iMessage address instead of giving out your email address?

Perhaps what Apple needs is an iCloud portal so you can look at and adjust your settings from a Mac/PC. Perhaps also a way on an iPad, for instance, to say "Disconnect this iMessage phone number/email address from all device on my account" for those that have moved to a Post-PC world.
  • Reply 65 of 184
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonX View Post

I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

Seriously you think this is a big issue?

No is not but this one is

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/14/samsung-issues-apology-to-cancer-stricken-semiconductor-plant-workers

Samsung admits killing people, if something like this happened with Apple will be the end 

• Reply 66 of 184
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    No, you should do a little research. There are tons of people that" opt out" and do what they are supposed to do before leaving and still don't get text messages no matter what they do. That's all on Apple. Stop blindly defending this one issue as you are so very wrong. This is a major issue that has been going on for a long time and Apple has done nothing to fix it.

If she researched she would know that she has to contact all her contacts who still use iMessage and ask them to delete and re-add her as a contact.

I don't want Apple or anyone snooping around MY details because someone who has ME as a contact, switches to Android, why should iMessage users privacy be affected because people are misled at a store into "Android is better", when obviously it isn't.

Caveat emptor, now stop wasting the courts time.
  • Reply 67 of 184
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I fully support this lawsuit 100%. It is completely unethical & illegal that Apple is hijacking people's text messages, just because those people decide to switch to a different phone.

At the very least, Apple should give people the option to log into the iCloud website and disable iMessage.

For those people commenting here that this woman should have known better, I'd love to see the temper tantrums you would be throwing if this happened to you. So just shut your traps. Your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant.

"unethical" "illegal" "hijacking" "just shut your traps" "your opinion on this matter is truly irrelevant and unimportant? Not much for hyperbole or self-aggrandizing, eh?

C'mon.  As indicated, iMessages is an opt-in service. It's not enabled by default when you activate an iPhone.

The primary issue here is more about how Apple does not make it clear that you need to log your device out of Apple ID, Find My iPhone, and other services before moving a phone number or SIM card over to a different device. I suspect that the vast majority of problems people have with iMessage have more to do with their devices still being logged onto Apple's services when they move their SIM card or phone number over to a different device. Yes, the way Apple designed this system is a pain in the butt and needs to be fixed in the worst way, but I don't see any nefarious intent or anything "illegal."

• Reply 68 of 184
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Interesting predicament. The easy answer is to disable the phone number as a viable address option as soon as you log out of iMessage or wipe your device. However, you can also have iMessages go to other devices that use that phone number. Should the system disable that phone number a valid address if, say, if your phone was lost, stolen or broke? What if you have a Mac or iPad but still like to use that phone number as your iMessage address instead of giving out your email address?

Perhaps what Apple needs is an iCloud portal so you can look at and adjust your settings from a Mac/PC. Perhaps also a way on an iPad, for instance, to say "Disconnect this iMessage phone number/email address from all device on my account" for those that have moved to a Post-PC world.

They do, it's called "Remove this device", which works when the device is not connected at the time.
  • Reply 69 of 184
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/14/samsung-issues-apology-to-cancer-stricken-semiconductor-plant-workers

Samsung admits killing people, if something like this happened with Apple will be the end 

This is an issue with Apple devices. I don't know why you drag Samsung into it. There is a separate discussion about that topic in the link you provided. Please.. stay on topic. And yes, this is a big issue related to Apple iOS and their messaging system.

• Reply 70 of 184
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Of course that's a far bigger issue, but what does it have to do with this, unless you're into score-keeping? I don't see why you would look at something you hate and something you like though, and point out that one isn't as bad as the other. I don't know why Samsung even crept into this thread. That she bought a Samsung phone is irrelevant here.

• Reply 71 of 184
    They do, it's called "Remove this device", which works when the device is not connected at the time.

Therein lies the rub. You may not want the phone number to be removed from all the devices simply because you logged out on your phone either by a regular logged out wiping the device as these could be temporary and the phone number as an iMessage address is can used on other devices for both sending and receiving.

Apple needs a system in place that makes it go beyond just removing a device. You need to be able to remove that phone number from your account.
  • Reply 72 of 184
    hmm wrote: »
    Quote:
    Of course that's a far bigger issue, but what does it have to do with this, unless you're into score-keeping? I don't see why you would look at something you hate and something you like though, and point out that one isn't as bad as the other. I don't know why Samsung even crept into this thread. That she bought a Samsung phone is irrelevant here.

On its own it doesn't make sense but as a response to [@]JasonX[/@] it seems reasonable to me, especially after his "screaming bloody murder" comment.
  • Reply 73 of 184
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nevermine.. I see that you were talking about iCloud.com (Find my iPhone).

• Reply 74 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    If she researched she would know that she has to contact all her contacts who still use iMessage and ask them to delete and re-add her as a contact.

I don't want Apple or anyone snooping around MY details because someone who has ME as a contact, switches to Android, why should iMessage users privacy be affected because people are misled at a store into "Android is better", when obviously it isn't.

Caveat emptor, now stop wasting the courts time.

Seriously!? You know that even contacting all your contacts, which is a dumb thing to have to do and shouldn't have to, doesn’t even work all the time either.

Some people have over a 1000 contacts, you really think it's practical to inform each and every single one of them to delete and re-add you. You shouldn't have to do that at all.

You also know that some people like to try different tech, despite what you think that Apple is the only way to go, to see what is going on in the tech industry. Or maybe people are just plain tired of Apple, yes people do think that, or they want something that better fit their needs, not everyone has the same needs as you, or they go to a Windows phone, not everyone goes to Android, or just likes to try all kinds of phones.

This is a Apple issue no matter how you try and spin it. If someone wants to try an Apple phone and use iMessage they shouldn't have to worry about if they won't get messages if they switch even if the sign out properly before they go somewhere else.
  • Reply 75 of 184
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

There should be a way to link and unlink #s from iCloud.com using your account. 

• Reply 76 of 184
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On its own it doesn't make sense but as a response to @JasonX it seems reasonable to me, especially after his "screaming bloody murder" comment.

Blah. I hate that he mentioned that too, as it's kind of irrelevant. As far as issues, the two aren't in the same stratosphere in terms of which is worse.

Quote:

Therein lies the rub. You may not want the phone number to be removed from all the devices simply because you logged out on your phone either by a regular logged out wiping the device as these could be temporary and the phone number as an iMessage address is can used on other devices for both sending and receiving.

Apple needs a system in place that makes it go beyond just removing a device. You need to be able to remove that phone number from your account.

That would be sensible. Some of the anger here is probably how long the problem has gone unsolved. My suspicion is that if it was an easy fix, it would have been fixed long ago.

• Reply 77 of 184
    She will use her winnings to buy a new iPhone....LMAO

I switched to an S4 last year and nothing happened. I think and would bet she didn't take the time to disassociate her iCloud account with her phone number and didn't reset/erase the phone before she traded it.
  • Reply 78 of 184
    Turn off your iMessege on the old iPhone. Problem solved. My cousin just went through this same situation. She called Apple, they told her to do this, and boom, problem fixed
  • Reply 79 of 184
    Quote:

Then this wouldn't be an issue as you are still receiving your messages.

Before you switch remove your device.

• Reply 80 of 184
    Then this wouldn't be an issue as you are still receiving your messages.

Before you switch remove your device.

I'm not following.