Apple pledges to fix longstanding iMessage bug in upcoming iOS update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 849member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The "Send as SMS" option does what you want.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. The function SENDS sms. The problem is RECEIVING iMessages when data roaming is turned off. Apple doesn't know that data roaming is turned off, and sends you an iMessage which then is not delivered to the iPhone. The only way to get iMessages on your iPhone as sms when traveling overseas, it to detach your phone number from iMessages on ALL your devices. It can't even be called a bug. Its a functionality that was not thought through, or assumed that travellers will keep their data plans on when overseas (and pay thousands of dollars per week on roaming charges).

• Reply 22 of 86
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    The biggest bug in iMessage is still the "Messages (saved)" bug that takes up 4GB of space on my iPhone and cannot be deleted. Hoping for a fix in iOS 7.1.x ...
  • Reply 23 of 86
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    I hope Apple see this as an opportunity. Seamless data roaming + "any" device messaging sounds like a good package if they can enhance iMessage to handle all these edge cases and extended use cases.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The problem, dating back to 2011, occurs when a user switches from an iPhone to a non-iOS device without formally disconnecting their phone number from the iMessage service... 

...in settings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wait, I thought this was just something that had to be turned off in settings. So there actually is a problem that Apple needs to fix?

Not if you turn it off in settings, as the article says.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

So, everyone that was saying that you just need to do this or that and it'll work were wrong. Apple has admitted that there is an issue just like all the other rational people were saying.

Nope, as you can see in the article it only becomes a problem when not turned off in settings.

• Reply 25 of 86
    wubbus wrote: »
    The biggest bug in iMessage is still the "Messages (saved)" bug that takes up 4GB of space on my iPhone and cannot be deleted. Hoping for a fix in iOS 7.1.x ...

Dude, you should log a report or see a Genius so Apple know about it.

Or restore your phone to get back 4GB.

Waiting for a fix without doing anything won't help you.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I expect consumer law suits if Apple was aware of this for 3 years.

They will get a lawsuit either way.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    sflagel wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it doesn't. The function SENDS sms. The problem is RECEIVING iMessages when data roaming is turned off. Apple doesn't know that data roaming is turned off, and sends you an iMessage which then is not delivered to the iPhone. The only way to get iMessages on your iPhone as sms when traveling overseas, it to detach your phone number from iMessages on ALL your devices. It can't even be called a bug. Its a functionality that was not thought through, or assumed that travellers will keep their data plans on when overseas (and pay thousands of dollars per week on roaming charges).

Ah, I stand corrected. Yes, iMessage doesn't work that way. Your iMessage senders would know that you did not read the message, and you will eventually see those message when you are connected to iCloud again, but while you are data roaming, you won't receive them. The only way to receive SMS is to ask your senders to use SMS, which is inconvenient. iMessage should make it easier for you to indicate your data roaming status.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member
    patsu wrote: »
    Dude, you should log a report or see a Genius so Apple know about it.

Or restore your phone to get back 4GB.

Waiting for a fix without doing anything won't help you.

Unfortunately a restore doesn't work. Some fairly lengthy complaints about this on the Apple boards as well. Admittedly I have not made a genius appointment to see if they have any ideas so perhaps I should do that.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 849member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah, I stand corrected. Yes, iMessage doesn't work that way. Your iMessage senders would know that you did not read the message, and you will eventually see those message when you are connected to iCloud again, but while you are data roaming, you won't receive them. The only way to receive SMS is to ask your senders to use SMS, which is inconvenient. iMessage should make it easier for you to indicate your data roaming status.

Correct. I spend about a quarter of my life traveling. My wife also has an iPhone, and does not want to constantly change her settings between iMessage (for her friends and family in the UK) and SMS (to reach me). Not to mention people that do not know that I am traveling. Very very annoying. And very expensive because I end up just having data roaming ON all the time.....

• Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Unfortunately a restore doesn't work. Some fairly lengthy complaints about this on the Apple boards as well. Admittedly I have not made a genius appointment to see if they have any ideas so perhaps I should do that.

I've done a restore and got the space back, people send one too many gif's now. 

• Reply 31 of 86
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,677member
    I had essentially the same problem with texts being lost when switching carriers. The old carrier still captured my texts and didn't route them properly. It was a PIA so I feel bad for the people who are suffering a similar fate with switching away from Apple. The root cause of these issues is tied to the ability to customize and personalize the fundamental message routing model with non-standard behaviors. Of course all of this non-standard behavior is intended to provide a better quality of service to a segment of the market. If you are in that segment life is good, but if you wander too far afield these features can turn out to be pain points.

But rest assured that Apple will fix this problem in due time. In the meantime - deal with it.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you being serious?

Yes, all those "just do this..." and "she's an idiot and it's her fault for being a different phone" comments were all wrong.

I wonder what the fix will be. I am guessing the change will be mostly, if not entirely, hidden from the user. I don't expect the change to be for each user to more easily send an iMessage as an SMS to certain contacts as that doesn't fix the problem.

I suspect it will be along the lines of disabling iMessage either informing you that you phone number will no longer be a valid a iMessage address if you disable this service or asking you if still want your phone number to be a valid iMessage address or removed as a valid address from the server. I hope the latter since switching iPhones does happen for a variety of reasons: new phone, lost, stolen broken.

This is mostly a change on the back end on how these messages are handled which means it could make this update not happen as quickly as I'd like to.

This problem happens for my daughter, too, when she goes over her data plan quota and her phone becomes just a phone when not in WiFi.

I think that the solution should be that Apple attempts to send via iMessage (as usual), checks for successful delivery, and then resends the text as SMS if the delivery fails.  They already do something like this now, but whatever they are doing has two issues:  (1) it doesn't always do it, and (2) even when it does, it sometimes takes way too long.  Apple should be able to implement a system that checks for the iMessage delivery over data channels, and if the delivery doesn't happen in X seconds, pings for the presence of the phone over the same channels, and then if the phone is not found in Y seconds (or minutes) just sends the SMS version.  This all should take place relatively rapidly, say within a couple of minutes.  Problem solved for my daughter, international travelers, and Android users.

• Reply 33 of 86
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I expect consumer law suits if Apple was aware of this for 3 years.

A consumer lawsuit is what finally got Apple to address the problem after three years.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/16/apple-sued-over-text-messaging-issues-related-to-switching-away-from-iphone

• Reply 34 of 86
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...in settings.

Not if you turn it off in settings, as the article says.

Nope, as you can see in the article it only becomes a problem when not turned off in settings.

So the people that did turn it off in setting before switching and still have issues must all be wrong? Also, the various other articles stating that people did so the right procedure and still have issues must all be wrong right? Only AI is right 100% of the time.

• Reply 35 of 86
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

But rest assured that Apple will fix this problem in due time. In the meantime - deal with it.

LOL, it's been 3 years already! 

• Reply 36 of 86
    thompr wrote: »
    This problem happens for my daughter, too, when she goes over her data plan quota and her phone becomes just a phone when not in WiFi.

I think that the solution should be that Apple attempts to send via iMessage (as usual), checks for successful delivery, and then resends the text as SMS if the delivery fails.  They already do something like this now, but whatever they are doing has two issues:  (1) it doesn't always do it, and (2) even when it does, it sometimes takes way too long.  Apple should be able to implement a system that checks for the iMessage delivery over data channels, and if the delivery doesn't happen in X seconds, pings for the presence of the phone over the same channels, and then if the phone is not found in Y seconds (or minutes) just sends the SMS version.  This all should take place relatively rapidly, say within a couple of minutes.  Problem solved for my daughter, international travelers, and Android users.

Apple probably do that already. I suspect some of the problems may lie with the telcos. Their SMS systems, especially in countries with lax regulations, don't always acknowledge a delivery under heavy load. Apple won't be able to know for sure that the SMS went through.

Whatever their fix is or will be, it may require tighter telco cooperation.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patsu View Post

Apple probably do that already. I suspect some of the problems may lie with the telcos. Their SMS systems, especially in countries with lax regulations, don't always acknowledge a delivery under heavy load. Apple won't be able to know for sure that the SMS went through.

Whatever their fix is or will be, it may require tighter telco cooperation.

Yes, as I said in one of my sentences, they already do something like this, but it is very very crappy.  They should do a better job.

And this doesn't have anything to do with the SMS system and telcos... the failure happens when they are checking for delivery of the iMessage over data channels.  They should be able to do this far more reliably and quickly than they are doing it now.  

Thompson

• Reply 38 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

That's another issue Apple needs to address but I have doubts your daughter's usage habits will be addressed with this update. The issue I see with your solution is that the iMessage server stores the messages (just like an SMS server) and then forwards them on when there is a connection to another device. This relay isn't always instant as there are times when an iPhone might be turned off (dead battery), in AirPlane mode (at movie theater), or just no signal (at state park).

For your system to work Apple needs to add a timer which will then get back to the sender to inform them that the message was received by their server but not pulled by the recipient from the server within a certain time frame, then ask them if the want to instead send the message as an SMS. To me that sounds more complicated and a separate issue of what I presume will be their resolution of simply having the receiver tell the iMessage server that they no longer want their phone number associated with the iMessage server.

I'd think your daughter's situation requires an additional switch in the iMessage settings that will only allow iMessages to be sent/received over WiFi, which I don't think will ever happen.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's another issue Apple needs to address but I have doubts your daughter's usage habits will be addressed with this update. The issue I see with your solution is that the iMessage server stores the messages (just like an SMS server) and then forwards them on when there is a connection to another device. This relay isn't always instant as there are times when an iPhone might be turned off (dead battery), in AirPlane mode (at movie theater), or just no signal (at state park).

For your system to work Apple needs to add a timer which will then get back to the sender to inform them that the message was received by their server but not pulled by the recipient from the server within a certain time frame, then ask them if the want to instead send the message as an SMS. To me that sounds more complicated and a separate issue of what I presume will be their resolution of simply having the receiver tell the iMessage server that they no longer want their phone number associated with the iMessage server.

I'd think your daughter's situation requires an additional switch in the iMessage settings that will only allow iMessages to be sent/received over WiFi, which I don't think will ever happen.

I am fine with Apple continuing to try doing what they are currently doing with their iMessage, but I think they should fire off an SMS version relatively quickly to all unconfirmed iPhone endpoints (the ones they couldn't confirm delivery to) associated with an iCloud account.  Worse case scenario, your iPhone may occasionally receive both versions.  (Note that iOS could even suppress the second one received if iCloud associates a tag with the iMessage once it goes out.)  But even if the user ends up getting both versions, that is far better than not receiving any, which is what happens now.

Thompson

• Reply 40 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am fine with Apple continuing to try doing what they are currently doing with their iMessage, but I think they should fire off an SMS version relatively quickly to all unconfirmed iPhone endpoints (the ones they couldn't confirm delivery to) associated with an iCloud account.  Worse case scenario, your iPhone may occasionally receive both versions.  (Note that iOS could even suppress the second one received if iCloud associates a tag with the iMessage once it goes out.)  But even if the user ends up getting both versions, that is far better than not receiving any, which is what happens now.

Thompson

I would personally hate that as it would cost me a lot of money to be on a flight and get dozens of messages sent to SMS as well as iMessage once my phone reconnects.

Even if they removed the iMessage messages from the server I would still be annoyed because 1) I now have disjointed conversations that are spread across multiple threads, and 2) have to pay 30¢(?) per each SMS/MMS on AT&T since they only have a per message or $20(?) per month unlimited service which I think is ridiculous.

In the past I have had AT&T disable SMS/MMS but I have one person who still needs to send me an occasional SMS so it's now enabled. If I turned it off again under your system all those would get forwarded to my telcp's SMS server and then vanish as the SMS server doesn't inform the sending server of this setting as it's not designed for that, just as iMessae severs arenlt designed to send to telco SMS servers — and I doubt they ever will. SMS messages are sent directly to the telco from the device over the carrier signal, not as standard IP data.