Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I think of it as Karma for dumb people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hence the stupidity remarks, perhaps the person selling the new phone should give some advice or perhaps they are too preoccupied with commissions or spending the points they just earned in kickbacks from the new phone manufacturer.

Wow. So you're saying there is NO area of your existence in which you are not an expert? There is no way your inexperience with a device or system could lead to you being caught in a situation you didn't expect? Especially one that isn't particularly obvious?

Every day there's a story about how someone got caught off guard, even when they THOUGHT they were doing everything right -- SNAFUs with home renovation permits, automotive or appliance failure issues, employment conflicts -- regular, "smart" people exercising due diligence and still being hit with unexpected unpleasant outcomes. I don't know why you'd disparage anyone in that situation. I feel bad for her and know that something similar could happen to me at any time.

• Reply 62 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    If they are selling phones they should know their products.

When wiping a phone iMessage is turned of, find my iPhone disabled and the iPhone wiped.

Then everything will work properly.

Someone did a half-assed job.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! PAY ATTENTION! WIPING YOUR PHONE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY RELEASE YOUR PHONE NUMBER AS A VIABLE ADDRESS ON THE iMESSAGE SERVER (NOR SHOULD IT) WHICH IS WHY OTHER iPHONES SENDING OUT AN iMESSAGE END UP GOING NOWHERE! YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN THIS INFO FOR DAYS NOW OVER TWO THREADS AND HUNDREDS OF POSTS AND EVEN NOW, IN A THREAD WHERE APPLE HAS ACKNOWLEDGED AN ISSUE WITH THEIR SETUP, YOU"RE STILL CLAIMING IT'S THE CUSTOMER'S FAULT! SOMEONE DID A HALF-ASSED JOB AND IT WAS APPLE, BUT YOU'RE DOING AN EVEN WORSE JOB AT UNDERSTANDING THIS ISSUE.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

When wiping a phone iMessage is turned off, iCloud unlinked, find my iPhone disabled and the iPhone wiped or the person who buys it will not be able to activate it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! PAY ATTENTION! WIPING YOUR PHONE DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY RELEASE YOUR PHONE NUMBER AS A VIABLE ADDRESS ON THE iMESSAGE SERVER (NOR SHOULD IT) WHICH IS WHY OTHER iPHONES SENDING OUT AN iMESSAGE END UP GOING NOWHERE! YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN THIS INFO FOR DAYS NOW OVER TWO THREADS AND HUNDREDS OF POSTS AND EVEN NOW, IN A THREAD WHERE APPLE HAS ACKNOWLEDGED AN ISSUE WITH THEIR SETUP, YOU"RE STILL CLAIMING IT'S THE CUSTOMER'S FAULT!

I've done it dozens of times when switching from my iPhone to my Galaxy S4 and back again with NO ISSUES whatsoever.

• Reply 64 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! PAY ATTENTION!

I smell a new tagline for this website. Also,

• Reply 65 of 86
    I've done it dozens of times when switching from my iPhone to my Galaxy S4 and back again with NO ISSUES whatsoever.

1) Then post a fucking video of this removing your phone number from the iMessage server as soon as you turn off iMessage on your iPhone.

2) That action makes no sense because, as previously mentioned, you may have lost, broken, or had your phone stolen and had it wiped remotely, but you don't want to miss any messages that would be sent to you between the time you initiated this and setup a new device.

3) Your experiences, which sound extremely dubious, are not a reflection of what others have experienced. As noted many, many, many, times before THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUCKIGN HANDSET BUT WITH THE SEVER NOT RELEASING THE NUMBER. This isn't rocket science!
  • Reply 66 of 86
    Quote:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

In the story the whole issue came about because she didn't turn iMessage off before wiping the iPhone.

Don't you think the person selling her the new phone should advise her of that?

• Reply 67 of 86
    In the story the whole issue came about because she didn't turn iMessage off before wiping the iPhone.

Don't you think the person selling her the new phone should advise her of that?

The whole issue came about because there is a server-side problem with Apple's iMessage design.

Why don't you show me that you can turn off iMessage and then have the next message from another iPhone automatically default to SMS because the server told all other iPhones that you're phone number is no longer a valid iMessage address.

edit: Screw the video since Apple stated they have already fixed the server-side bug that was keeping the numbers from being released. The next fix is an iOS update that likely push the server to cause the release, something that will not automatically happen if you only disable iMessage from your iPhone but still use that phone number on other devices as a viable address for iMessage.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What do you mean? Are you saying that if I come in to a store you run and ask you about a new device, you're going to divert the discussion to ask if I've previously owned an iPhone because there might be an issue with iMessaging persistence? Seriously? Are you saying you honestly think that's the responsibility of the person selling me a phone?

Further, what does asking me about whatever phone I will no longer be using have to do with a sellers' knowledge of her/his products? One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:

When wiping a phone iMessage is turned of, find my iPhone disabled and the iPhone wiped.

No! Wrong! That's the point! Even if you *DO* turn it off and reset before parting with your phone, the problem can persist ANYWAY. It's not within your control.

Quote:

Yes. Apple.

And honestly, you. You haven't done a particularly excellent job of following the plot in this case. That's not like you.

• Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

What do you mean? Are you saying that if I come in to a store you run and ask you about a new device, you're going to divert the discussion to ask if I've previously owned an iPhone because there might be an issue with iMessaging persistence? Seriously? Are you saying you honestly think that's the responsibility of the person selling me a phone?

Further, what does asking me about whatever phone I will no longer be using have to do with a sellers' knowledge of her/his products? One has nothing to do with the other.

No! Wrong! That's the point! Even if you *DO* turn it off and reset before parting with your phone, the problem can persist ANYWAY. It's not within your control.

Yes. Apple.

And honestly, you. You haven't done a particularly excellent job of following the plot in this case. That's not like you.

Smart Switch is one of Samsung's selling points, they purposely sell Android as an easy switch, the latest version even syncs with iCloud.

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Samsung goes to a lot trouble trying to convince iPhone users how easy it is, they even have specific instructions about iMessage here.

Caveat emptor.

• Reply 70 of 86
    Wow. So you're saying there is NO area of your existence in which you are not an expert? There is no way your inexperience with a device or system could lead to you being caught in a situation you didn't expect? Especially one that isn't particularly obvious?

Every day there's a story about how someone got caught off guard, even when they THOUGHT they were doing everything right -- SNAFUs with home renovation permits, automotive or appliance failure issues, employment conflicts -- regular, "smart" people exercising due diligence and still being hit with unexpected unpleasant outcomes. I don't know why you'd disparage anyone in that situation. I feel bad for her and know that something similar could happen to me at any time.

Wow, Lorin, you sure know how to make a leap of logic! I've been both dumb and stupid in my life. The difference of which is how many times I have to make the same mistake before I change my way of thinking, and Karma is the pain of being a slow learner.
  • Reply 71 of 86

He's trying to move the conversation away from the truth with that question.
    Smart Switch is one of Samsung's selling points, they purposely sell Android as an easy switch, the latest version even syncs with iCloud.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Samsung goes to a lot trouble trying to convince iPhone users how easy it is, they even have specific instructions about iMessage here.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Caveat emptor.</span>

1) None of that has anything to do with your claims there was no server-side bug affecting some iMessage users.

2) Of course Samsung has instructions on how to migrate from an iPhone to their phones. The iPhone is popular so they want to do whatever they can do make it easier to get switchers. Where is Samsung's documentation on how to turn off all their stuff so you can migrate over to a different vendor's solution?
  • Reply 72 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Then post a fucking video of this removing your phone number from the iMessage server as soon as you turn off iMessage on your iPhone.

2) That action makes no sense because, as previously mentioned, you may have lost, broken, or had your phone stolen and had it wiped remotely, but you don't want to miss any messages that would be sent to you between the time you initiated this and setup a new device.

3) Your experiences, which sound extremely dubious, are not a reflection of what others have experienced. As noted many, many, many, times before THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUCKIGN HANDSET BUT WITH THE SEVER NOT RELEASING THE NUMBER. This isn't rocket science!

I gave up on explaining this issue to some people here. They clearly don't understand the problem. They still insist that it is the users fault even when Apple came out and said “We recently fixed a server-side iMessage bug which was causing an issue for some users, and we have an additional bug fix in a future software update."
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I gave up on explaining this issue to some people here. They clearly don't understand the problem. They still insist that it is the users fault even when Apple came out and said “We recently fixed a server-side iMessage bug which was causing an issue for some users, and we have an additional bug fix in a future software update."

"Some users" all in the group being those who did not turn off iMessage on their iPhone.

• Reply 74 of 86
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Wow, Lorin, you sure know how to make a leap of logic! I've been both dumb and stupid in my life. The difference of which is how many times I have to make the same mistake before I change my way of thinking, and Karma is the pain of being a slow learner.

I get that. Once upon a time I was feeling down about the number of mistakes I was making at work, and my daughter told me that I must be doing something right, because each day I made NEW mistakes! Failure is an obvious and unavoidable consequence of progress.

What I don't get is why you seem to feel that the plaintiff fits the "slow learner" description. There's nothing in the story to indicate that she should have had prior knowledge of the problem. Honestly, before this I don't think I would have given a single thought to the consequences of having used iMessaging if I were changing platforms. To me, the fact that there's a mitigating factor (the server-side bug) is above and beyond the frustration of learning the hard way that the benefits of things that "just work" without the user ever thinking about them can bite them on the ass when they don't think about them! :) 

• Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:

Samsung goes to a lot trouble trying to convince iPhone users how easy it is, they even have specific instructions about iMessage here.

Caveat emptor.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

• Reply 76 of 86
    "Some users" all in the group being those who did not turn off iMessage on their iPhone.

Sure, Apple admits there is a server-side bug, a bug they have fixed, because some people didn't turn off iMessage¡ Perfectly fucking reasonable, especially when there is a lawsuit that is looking for any proof Apple is at fault.

Look, you jumped the gun in the other thread because and then you doubled down on it because a Samsung Android phone was mentioned. You looked like an idiot in that thread and now with an admission of guilt from Apple you're coming across a troll.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    Quote:

Sure, Apple admits there is a server-side bug, a bug they have fixed, because some people didn't turn off iMessage¡ Perfectly fucking reasonable, especially when there is a lawsuit that is looking for any proof Apple is at fault.

Look, you jumped the gun in the other thread because and then you doubled down on it because a Samsung Android phone was mentioned. You looked like an idiot in that thread and now with an admission of guilt from Apple you're coming across a troll.

The entire time I have said you have to turn it off in settings on the phone and you won't have issues.

Not doing that shows a lack of understanding which can be overcome by educating oneself BEFORE wiping the phone.

• Reply 78 of 86
    The entire time I have said you have to turn it off in settings on the phone and you won't have issues.

Which is the fucking issue with your ignorant comments.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Jeez man. Why don't you get it?! "Some users" did turn it off before and that didn't work. Hence the need for server side fix. What part of "bug" you don't understand. The other part that Apple promised to fix is not yet fixed. It is most likely related to where iOS does not properly turn off/sign off of iMessage services before erasing the device. And don't tell me that turning off iMessage is obvious because it is not. Clearly iOS handles all other iCloud service without issues when erasing the device. You don't have to go turning off services one by one before erasing.

AGAIN.. TWO SEPARATE ISSUES. One is as bug on Apple servers where turning off iMessage on your device will not turn off iMessage on Apple servers. This is the fix Apple said it just did. The other is iOS not turning off iMessage properly before erasing the device (fix coming).
  • Reply 80 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

When wiping a phone iMessage is turned off, iCloud unlinked, find my iPhone disabled and the iPhone wiped or the person who buys it will not be able to activate it.

Does that someone include Apple?