iOS 8 will bring third-party keyboards, Notification Center widgets, Safari extensions

Comments

• Reply 61 of 196
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

They demoed Swiftkey?  Where?  They added Swiftkey style keyboard.  That's essentially like the Google Keyboard (which also does swiping).  I still prefer Swiftkey which has a good 3 years head start on Google and it shows.  The Google keyboard is good enough.  But Swiftkey is awesome.

D'okay... before we continue, you should go watch the keynote.

The demoed the new keyboard with predictive text buttons. LATER, they demoed third-party keyboard extensions, and explained how they're sandboxed for security, unless you specifically give them network access.

• Reply 62 of 196
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

You forgot Newton (of course you did).

You forgot the HP-150 (of course you did).

We can do this forever.

• Reply 63 of 196
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

*looks at his iPad*

*looks at his Surface*

*looks at his Lumia*

Right.

Shocked you would say that.  Juuuuuust kidding.  We knew you would.  :err:

• Reply 64 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

DaHarder, is that you?

Who?

• Reply 65 of 196
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

We can do this forever.

Well, at least until we hit the first Apple computer. Then you’re screwed.

• Reply 66 of 196
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Now you're officially clueless. Apple brought up the Neonode and included the owners manual as a reference in their patent application.

Why don't you think about why Apple did that before making yourself look worse than you already do.

EricTheHalfBee, how long is you block list going to be by the end of the day :D

• Reply 67 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Shocked you would say that.  Juuuuuust kidding.  We knew you would.  :err:

Why else would I be on an Apple forum?

• Reply 68 of 196
    Quote:

From my experience the logic always comes around to that everything was stolen from Apple. Always. Every time. Every product. Even unannounced ones. Even on features Apple never even had. It's all Apple. Apple invented fucking everything. Because it's Apple. Burning Apple juice running through our veins as we all power our souls with iOS and turn our vision into SceneKit. We power our brain with Swift and put on Beats headphones as we continue our trip through the road where every turn will lead us to Apple. Apple is love. Apple is life. 

Truth is, a LOT is from Apple. Don't forget that Apple has been around for a long time, and without them a lot of the things we take for granted in tech land wouldn't exist. They patented a lot of those things too.

Common sense helps too. Pretty easy to see the line of demarcation pre-and-post-iPhone. And the iPhone was based on the original Newton, and a lot of underlying technology has it's roots from pre-OSX Apple.

• Reply 69 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Now you're officially clueless. Apple brought up the Neonode and included the owners manual as a reference in their patent application.

Why don't you think about why Apple did that before making yourself look worse than you already do.

No. No they didn't. 

• Reply 70 of 196
    Quote:

Who?

Someone you'd probably get along well with.

• Reply 71 of 196
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Quote:

So basically they ripped off a whole lot of Android features.

Quote:

My point still stands; these features were on Android first. Considering how passionate Apple fans are about ripping off, I thought I'd point out the irony.

Yes, we know. Thank you for having them "first"

You are aware that the current smartphone os market is at a certain level of maturity, right? Meaning what A has that B, i and W don't, B, i and W will put their spin on. Same for what i has that A, B, and W don't.

You've also checked the calendar, right? It isn't 2007 anymore. It's 2014. I don't care who had it first. I choose based on who does it best for me.

• Reply 72 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Yes, we know. Thank you for having them "first"

You are aware that the current smartphone os market is at a certain level of maturity, right? Meaning what A has that B, i and W don't, B, i and W will put their spin on. Same for what i has that A, B, and W don't.

You've also checked the calendar, right? It isn't 2007 anymore. It's 2014. I don't care who had it first. I choose based on who does it best for me.

You quote the post that explains my point of view, yet you miss the point.

• Reply 73 of 196
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]These extensions work with other iOS technologies to provide iOS-flavored security.

They will need to share data with various components, not to mention the front most app and its own bundled app.

I think it is more than meet the eyes. Otherwise Apple won't have to wait so long to introduce them. The sessions will likely reveal more.

It is premature to say Apple copy Android. They may evolve from Mac and OSX instead. After all, widgets and extensions are faily old concepts and implementations in System 7.
  • Reply 74 of 196

I wonder when KDarling will show up.....

• Reply 75 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Truth is, a LOT is from Apple. Don't forget that Apple has been around for a long time, and without them a lot of the things we take for granted in tech land wouldn't exist. They patented a lot of those things too.

Common sense helps too. Pretty easy to see the line of demarcation pre-and-post-iPhone. And the iPhone was based on the original Newton, and a lot of underlying technology has it's roots from pre-OSX Apple.

Apple takes a lot of things. Google takes a lot of things. Microsoft takes a lot of things. Yet when Google and Microsoft do it, it's insane and awful and they're literally Hitler, and when Apple does it, it's all sunshine and butterflies and patents. 

Honestly, if people didn't scream about how everything about Android is a rip-off, I probably would've never posted what I posted. 

But, Apple fans always find excuses. Yesterday having file system access was awful, today it's the best thing ever. Nothing new here. 

• Reply 76 of 196
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member

Yeah, must why the vast majority of malware is targeted at Android. Maybe you should stop drinking the Android Kool-Aid.

• Reply 77 of 196
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You really gotta stop drinking that Apple Kool-aid.

http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

Yeah, must be why 99% of the malware attacks are Android only. Maybe, you should put down the android kool aid. You seemed to have spilled some on your keyboard. 

• Reply 78 of 196
    Quote:

Apple takes a lot of things. Google takes a lot of things. Microsoft takes a lot of things. Yet when Google and Microsoft do it, it's insane and awful and they're literally Hitler.......

Godwin's Law strikes again. Whenever somebody references Hitler/Nazism the rest of their post(s) can be thrown in the trash.

• Reply 79 of 196
    Quote:

But, Apple fans always find excuses. Yesterday having file system access was awful, today it's the best thing ever. Nothing new here. 

No, it's awful to take a desktop concept file system and slap it onto a mobile device. There's nothing inherently wrong with a file system, but they're often not very intuitive and present a complication of average users. 

The best thing Apple has done in the last 7 years (IMO) is to make computing devices so accessible for people who aren't considered tech-literate. 

• Reply 80 of 196
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So when Apple doesn't have these features people complain that they're falling behind competition. Then when Apple announces them people complain that they're just copying Android or Windows or whatever. Is there anything Apple announced today that looks and works exactly like the competition? With the exact same implementation?