iOS 8 will bring third-party keyboards, Notification Center widgets, Safari extensions

Comments

• Reply 81 of 196
    ezhikezhik Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Yeah, must why the vast majority of malware is targeted at Android. Maybe you should stop drinking the Android Kool-Aid.

Android's open, and more popular. Malware comes to silly people who went in their settings, turned off the 'install unapproved apps' feature, pressed "OK" on the warning screen that warned about malware, then got a rogue app, and even though they could clearly see all the permissions the app had, like sending paid sms, still installed it. 

If a user ignores every warning sign, then perhaps it's not the OS that is to blame.

• Reply 82 of 196
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Godwin's Law strikes again. Whenever somebody references Hitler/Nazism the rest of their post(s) can be thrown in the trash.

Nah, this is like a reverse Godwin's law. The OP is stating that people who don't share his viewpoint compare Google & M$ to Hitler, thus THEY invoke Godwin's law, and THEIR point is moot and discrediting THEM, not the OP. 

Which is kind of a straw man argument?

• Reply 83 of 196
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    patsu wrote: »
    These extensions work with other iOS technologies to provide iOS-flavored security.

They will need to share data with various components, not to mention the front most app and its own bundled app.

I think it is more than meet the eyes. Otherwise Apple won't have to wait so long to introduce them. The sessions will likely reveal more.

It is premature to say Apple copy Android. They may evolve from Mac and OSX instead. After all, widgets and extensions are faily old concepts and implementations in System 7.

Again, what does it matter? If Apple and it's users see a value in widgets and "Hey Siri" and 3rd party keyboards then they should offer them. Seems an easy choice. Who cares if the idea came from elsewhere. You really think anyone other than a few fans of one OS or another is going to complain of having optional widgets, optional keyboards or being able to say "Hey Siri" to wake her up? Google ain't suing over any of it nor should anyone else. It all moves tech forward when someone makes even an iterative improvement on an existing feature which is a good thing, right?
  • Reply 84 of 196
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

Androids open

HOW ON EARTH is anyone still ignorant enough to believe this?!

…and more popular.

Which explains why iOS is used more, huh.

If a user ignores every warning sign, then perhaps it's not the OS that is to blame.

If the OS is designed to ignore every warning…

• Reply 85 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

No, it's awful to take a desktop concept file system and slap it onto a mobile device. There's nothing inherently wrong with a file system, but they're often not very intuitive and present a complication of average users. 

The best thing Apple has done in the last 7 years (IMO) is to make computing devices so accessible for people who aren't considered tech-literate. 

Never said Apple should've done that. But when people posted file system concepts, they were treated like files are some horrible 1980 concept that should just go. 

Apple have been making computers for the normal people since their very beginning, and I think that's cool. But the fans are quite crazy.

• Reply 86 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Nah, this is like a reverse Godwin's law. The OP is stating that people who don't share his viewpoint compare Google & M$ to Hitler, thus THEY invoke Godwin's law, and THEIR point is moot and discrediting THEM, not the OP. 

Which is kind of a straw man argument?

Well it was supposed to be an example of some terrible terrible terrible thing. If it makes you so upset I can edit it with something else.

• Reply 87 of 196
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You really gotta stop drinking that Apple Kool-aid.

http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

So you link to one shitty blog that noone has ever heard of, that says something opposite to that every other respectable publication and verifiable stats that are actually available to check- then you tell people to stop drinking the Koolaid? Fucking hilarious. It's not Apple coming up with these numbers, in case you're confused. 

• Reply 88 of 196
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    ezhik wrote: »
    You forgot the HP-150 (of course you did).

LOL, HP-150. Worst Fandroid talking point attempt ever?
  • Reply 89 of 196
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Well it was supposed to be an example of some terrible terrible terrible thing. If it makes you so upset I can edit it with something else.

I'm not upset, why would I be upset? Capitalization is only for emphasis.

• Reply 90 of 196
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google ain't suing over any of it nor should anyone else. It all moves tech forward when someone makes even an iterative improvement on an existing feature which is a good thing, right?

Google isn't suing because none of it's patented. I'm still waiting for someone to show me anything in iOS (any version of iOS, not just 8) that was a copy of something another company (like Google/Android) have a patent on. Apple never sued Samsung over some imaginary concepts - they had actual patents that they developed.

This is the logical fallacy with people saying Apple and their fans are hypocrites when Apple adds a new feature that previously existed. They list things Apple has added that have been around forever and aren't owned by anyone yet completely ignore that Apple only accuses people of theft when they have an actual patent in place. There's no hypocrisy involved.

• Reply 91 of 196
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    Why else would I be on an Apple forum?

The same reason a thousand other Fandroids are: missionary work.
  • Reply 92 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

LOL, HP-150. Worst Fandroid talking point attempt ever?

Two can play at the "name an obscure device from the dark past that did something an iPhone does today" game.

Plus didn't I already say that I don't own any Android devices? 

• Reply 93 of 196
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Again, what does it matter? If Apple and it's users see a value in widgets and "Hey Siri" and 3rd party keyboards then they should offer them. Seems an easy choice. Who cares if the idea came from elsewhere. You really think anyone other than a few fans of one OS or another is going to complain of having optional widgets, optional keyboards or being able to say "Hey Siri" to wake her up? Google ain't suing over any of it nor should anyone else. It all moves tech forward when someone makes even an iterative improvement on an existing feature which is a good thing, right?

It matters to set the history straight. Credits where credits are due.

Advancing technologies is great but it doesn't mean people can accuse Apple for copying Android for some random argument.

We should be able to learn more about how iOS parts fit together in WWDC.
    Optional keyboard, widgets and Hey Siri may not be important individually, but putting them together, it will speak about Apple's approach, direction, and overall experiences.

The way they highlight OSX, iOS and dev platform, Swift itself sounds like a third platform for Apple too.
  • Reply 94 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No. No they didn't. 

Yes. Yes they did.
  • Reply 95 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes. Yes they did.

Nope. 

• Reply 96 of 196
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

The same reason a thousand other Fandroids are: missionary work.

Ha!

I look to the forums and what do I see,

Comin’ here to stir up some crap…

I see posts supporting Apple, and all of them free,

Comin’ here to stir up some crap…

Give dough (give dough) and I’ll spread your FUD,

Give enough and I’ll work from hoooome…

Give dough (give dough) and I’ll spread your FUD,

Give enough and I’ll work from hoooome…

Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post

Nope. 

GOTTA GET THAT $0.50 PER POST!

• Reply 97 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nope. 

Yep.

Maybe next time you'll take the 12 seconds to research it before making yourself look like an idiot.
  • Reply 98 of 196
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

I hope they have worked out the security issues that plague 3rd-party system-wide keyboards. Android definitely hasn't.

They specifically noted that third party keyboards would require explicit user authorization for network access.

• Reply 99 of 196
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Android had intents and notifications done right basically from the start. Still, does the Apple Polish (tm) make stealing things okay? Why are Apple fans always at war with Samsung, which is guilty of the same thing (even if they kinda suck at it)?

Honestly, I am happy that iOS gained these features - but the hypocrisy of the fans pisses me off.

Apple had Services and other forms of inter-app communication since before iOS and Android even existed. Widgets have existed in OS X since Tiger. There are things that have been adopted from Android but Android took quite a bit more from iOS, especially in the early days.

• Reply 100 of 196
    Quote:

Yep.
    Maybe next time you'll take the 12 seconds to research it before making yourself look like an idiot.

Or you could just open the Neonode article on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonode