Latest leak purports to show closer look at back panel of Apple's 'iPhone 6'

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2014
The latest pictures claiming to show the back panel of Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" are consistent with previous parts, showing a redesigned metal frame with space for a lock button on the upper right side.

The pictured part claimed to be from Apple's next-generation iPhone was first highlighted on Sunday by Nowhereelse.fr. Like previous parts shown online, it appears to be an entirely metal back panel, eschewing the glass strips found at the top and bottom of the rear of the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s, but still keeping separation lines near those points.

The part also has holes for elongated volume buttons and a mute switch on the left side of the device, while a SIM card slot is found on the right side. In addition, the part appears to show that the lock button has been moved from the top of the handset to the upper right side a detail that's consistent with earlier rumors.

Strangely, the hole for the camera flash in the latest part is still circular and not oval-shaped, potentially suggesting that Apple could be planning to either improve on or abandon the "True Tone" flash it introduced with the iPhone 5s. That's consistent with earlier leaks claiming to show Apple's next iPhone.

The Apple logo on the back panel shown Sunday is also cut out, a detail that was also found on an alleged "iPhone 6" panel revealed last month. The second-generation iPad mini was found to have a similar feature when parts for the tablet first leaked in August 2013 -- on the final product, Apple ultimately embedded a piece of metal that serves as a radio-transparent window.

Apple is expected to announce a 4.7-inch iPhone -- and possibly a 5.5-inch version -- later this year as part of the company's annual refresh cycle. If the company sticks with its usual release pattern, the next iPhone would debut in September and would arrive alongside the public release of iOS 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    Why would apple get rid of a true tone flash that they just added last year as an improvement. Apple generally doesn't walk backwards.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    I could be wrong but I find it hard to imagine that they would abandon the true tone flash after one year
  • Reply 3 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Interesting that the Apple logo is cut out.

I could be wrong but I find it hard to imagine that they would abandon the true tone flash after one year

Why must they abandon it? Why can't it be in the space provided?
  • Reply 4 of 110
    psilopsilo Posts: 7member
    agreed, it seems more likely that someone is producing a LED that provides both (or more) 'tones' in one compact LED device, similar to that of RGB LEDs produced today.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    WWDC ends and now we get three months of leaked iPhone cases. Sigh.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member
    Apple has never before abandoned useful tech in previous iPhones from one gen to the next, so I would think they've just found a way to compact the true tone flash.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator

Looks to be as thin as the iPod Touch.  If not for the SIM card slot I'd have thought maybe it is a new iPod Touch.  That might explain the round flash opening.  But clearly this would have to be the iPhone case.  So then the question becomes, how much battery can be fit in this thin case?  Yeah, it's longer and wider, but so too will be the energy-hungry display.  Should be interesting to see how this all comes together in the fall.

• Reply 8 of 110
    So then the question becomes, how much battery can be fit in this thin case?  Yeah, it's longer and wider, but so too will be the energy-hungry display.  Should be interesting to see how this all comes together in the fall.

As we've seen with the significantly less power efficient Android-based devices using off-the-shelf components the power needed for the display components doesn't at the same rate as the volume gained by going with the volume from a larger footprint. We've seen plenty of Android-based devices get a larger display and become much thinner all while sporting a longer battery life with a larger battery.

So far, Apple has not made any of the mistakes of most of their competitors by focusing on a specific feature at the risk of ignoring the overall usability of the device so until that happens I have to think that if Apple thinks they can go thinner and lighter they will do so with the knowledge that the device will not have a lower usage time than in the previous model.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    rogifan wrote: »

Don't forget updates on what's fixed or changed in each new iOS 8 beta.

I love this time of year. Not because I'm a die-hard Apple freak who's starving for any news no matter how trivial, but more for the entertainment provided by all the trolls who get so upset about something they claim to not care about.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    I'm personally not a fan of the use of what seems to sealant on the back of the device. I'm aware that it probably is a necessity but still... :s.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    chipsy wrote: »
    I'm personally not a fan of the use of what seems to sealant on the back of the device. I'm aware that it probably is a necessity but still... :s.

You mean those strips that look like masking tape placed on a wall before you paint? If so, I don't think that design looks so great but I'm also reserving judgment since the leaked images of the iPhone 4 from Gizmodo made the device look cheap before we saw good images. I don't think any design has been bad although I would say the iPhone 3G/3GS did take an aesthetic backwards from the original iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 110
    Don't forget updates on what's fixed or changed in each new iOS 8 beta.

I love this time of year. Not because I'm a die-hard Apple freak who's starving for any news no matter how trivial, but more for the entertainment provided by all the trolls who get so upset about something they claim to not care about.

1) But these trolls have used Apple products for decades and have bought everything from Apple so they know best¡

2) I'm quite excited about Swift. I hope this will be the first programming language I can truly learn and my dozen or so app ideas can finally come to fruition. That's where my head will mostly be for the next several months, and hopefully next year I'll be able to attend WWDC without feeling like I'd be taking a seat away from a real developer. Note: I'm assuming WWDC 2015 will be Swift-based, not Obj-C.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

I'm not a fan of the color, the "Xiao Long Tea House" sticker, or the "Republished by www.nowhereelse.fr" etching on the case but still… /s

• Reply 14 of 110
    At first I didn't like the big size of the phone, but I have gotten used to it. But please let the rumors about the changed position of the lock button be false! It looks so stupid to have it on the side! You probably won't be able to reach it with one hand, and on an iPad it works just fine being on the top even though you can't reach it with one hand.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Looks real.

• Reply 16 of 110
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Looks real.

I agree. 

I actually think this will look good when it's all put together.

I'm hoping for an edge to edge display on the front though. Some of the front panel leaks seem to show side bezels bigger than the current iPhones which wouldn't make sense, IMO.

• Reply 17 of 110
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean those strips that look like masking tape placed on a wall before you paint? If so, I don't think that design looks so great but I'm also reserving judgment since the leaked images of the iPhone 4 from Gizmodo made the device look cheap before we saw good images. I don't think any design has been bad although I would say the iPhone 3G/3GS did take an aesthetic backwards from the original iPhone.

That is indeed what I mean, those on the top and the bottom of the back of the device. To me they look like sealant to waterproof or something like that. I've seen it before in other 'leaks'. I hope this isn't the final design or at least looks better when released. But yeah all we know this 'leak' could be completely fake, no way to know for sure until release of course. Usually we aren't disappointed.

• Reply 18 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I have two iPhone 6 cases sitting on my desk. No idea if they'll fit the actual iPhone 6, but still...:D

• Reply 19 of 110
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    What's to happen to the 5C - will it grow into a 6C?
  • Reply 20 of 110
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

I'll be very sorry to see the current, iconic design go in favour of what appears to be a utilitarian design. Certainly, Apple will do it well.