Latest leak purports to show closer look at back panel of Apple's 'iPhone 6'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110

I think we are looking at the 4.7 which will have lower specs than that of the 5.5 version. Kinda like the 5C and 5S. 

• Reply 42 of 110

All the leaks from the "asians" have been 99.7% spot on.

• Reply 43 of 110
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member
    How often do such a 'leaked' alleged clandestine photographs of so called Mac products turn out to be true? What would be more interesting would be to know how much 'Appleinsider' and other media organisations pay for these so called 'leaked' images. If there is money in it that could be a nice little earner!
  • Reply 44 of 110
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    Friends, this back panel is far too thin to be the back panel of an iPhone 6. The included battery must become worse should it be that thin, and I could not beleave that Mr. Ive would accept a step back.

Thus, all leaked back panels seem to show the back panel of the next generation iPod Touch. This would also be the reason wh the camera hole is same es before.
  • Reply 45 of 110
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    Friends, this must be either a complete fake or an iPod Touch back panel. There isn't enough space for the battery to be an iPhone back panel. The good news: iPhone 6 deaign has still not been leaked ... :-)
  • Reply 46 of 110
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    goldfinger wrote: »
    Why would apple get rid of a true tone flash that they just added last year as an improvement. Apple generally doesn't walk backwards.

Right now they use two LEDs, they say one is amber and the other is white but it's not obvious if it's an amber LED or a white LED behind an amber color filter. They vary the brightness of each light for 1,000 combinations of flash color. Perhaps they figured out a way to put a single white LED in there with an amber filter than can be adjusted. Imagine a single LED behind a circle that is split either concentrically or vertically and there would be an adjustable filter for opacity behind each color the way electrochromic glass works.

There is also the possibility that this is in fact a cheaper iPhone to replace the iPod Touch and doesn't have the features of the higher-end iPhone or could even just be the 5C equivalent - the 5SC. This would suggest they'd move the whole lineup to larger displays.
    solipsismx wrote:
    If so, I don't think that design looks so great but I'm also reserving judgment since the leaked images of the iPhone 4 from Gizmodo made the device look cheap before we saw good images.

Sometimes materials don't show up well in certain lighting conditions. I have that problem - I'm not very photogenic but I just know I'm beautiful. The metal and plastic will reflect the light differently so a camera might show a different contrast that you'd see in person. The iPhone 5 looks different in person than a lot of pictures of it.

I think this design looks like it would be very comfortable to hold.

If the corners are plastic though, they might not hold up well if the phone is dropped as that will often be the point on impact. Not much worse than the 5C though.
    solipsismx wrote:
    I don't think any design has been bad although I would say the iPhone 3G/3GS did take an aesthetic backwards from the original iPhone.

I thought the 3G/3GS looked better. The original iPhone was very bulky. The glossy plastic made some nice reflections vs the base on the old one:

• Reply 47 of 110
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Looks more like a cheaper version, iPhone 6c or something like that. It certainly looks cheap
  • Reply 48 of 110
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The new design looks professional and sexy in this mockup from MacRumors:

I have faith Apple will polish the iPhone 6 off nicely.

Looks like every other run of the mill android powered garbage.  There is no mistaking any current iPhone for the dozens of androids/windows phones out there.  This one would have that exact problem.  "Oh is that the new Galaxy 6?  No, an iphone.  Oh".

• Reply 49 of 110
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axcoatl View Post

Friends, this back panel is far too thin to be the back panel of an iPhone 6. The included battery must become worse should it be that thin, and I could not beleave that Mr. Ive would accept a step back.

Thus, all leaked back panels seem to show the back panel of the next generation iPod Touch. This would also be the reason wh the camera hole is same es before.

I really feel sorry for people that are this clueless, and yet post such confidently wrong statements.

1. This IS the iPhone 6

2. Truetone Flash got smaller. WHAT A SHOCKER. APPLE MADE SOMETHING SMALLER.

• Reply 50 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Looks like every other run of the mill android powered garbage.  There is no mistaking any current iPhone for the dozens of androids/windows phones out there.  This one would have that exact problem.  "Oh is that the new Galaxy 6?  No, an iphone.  Oh".

What kinda crap is this? What Android phone is that slim, or a solid piece of aluminum with rounded sides, and minimalist buttons, speakers, and ports?

Every Android phone looks like radio shack gadget. 

• Reply 51 of 110
    chazbcnchazbcn Posts: 26member
    Nope, those antenna cutouts doesn't seem to grow on me at all, with every mockup from weeks before and now with this allegedly leaked shell. I know, we still have to see the final product, but I don't like this design solution for the radio transparency. It's too bad, because I otherwise love the form factor an new size, curved edges and everything else.
    I hope they make a plastic "c" version with this curvy form. I'd go for that instead of the aluminum high end, if it also included touch ID (which I doubt).
  • Reply 52 of 110

Start getting used to the bands on the back. They are obviously the separators for the antenna mechanism, and absolutely critical to the design.

I have to continuously LMFAO at every single article with pics that is followed by 20 comments from clueless doofs that chime in with "APPLE IS GETTING RID OF TRUETONE FLASH?!?! THEY WOULDNT GO BACKWARDZ!?"

How shamefully lacking in imagination. You shouldn't be allowed to post here if that is the best you can come up with.

• Reply 53 of 110
    greatrixgreatrix Posts: 95member

That's because 97% of the design of new iPhones look like the previous ones.

• Reply 54 of 110
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What kinda crap is this? What Android phone is that slim, or a solid piece of aluminum with rounded sides, and minimalist buttons, speakers, and ports?

You're very passionate about a rumored leaked design.

• Reply 55 of 110
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    ... Apple is expected to announce a 4.7-inch iPhone -- and possibly a 5.5-inch version...

If there indeed will be another, larger iPhone model, I'm really curious about how they're going to differentiate it from the base model. I've got a feeling it needs some unique features, other than just being larger. Like... pen support for artists? Roll out display? I don't know what to expect..
  • Reply 56 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

While not as rounded off, the Sony Xperia Z2 is single frame aluminum and quite thin and minimal, except for their choice of the dedicated camera button...but that's their standout thing. Probably the closest looking to the mockups.

• Reply 57 of 110
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

If there indeed will be another, larger iPhone model, I'm really curious about how they're going to differentiate it from the base model. I've got a feeling it needs some unique features, other than just being larger. Like... pen support for artists? Roll out display? I don't know what to expect..

If Apple is going to release a 5.5" then I think your reasoning is sound.

There wasn't enough to differentiate the 5c from the 5s... except for $100... and people, of course, went for the 5s.

I doubt if Apple would make that same mistake twice.

Mind you, I still don't believe there is a 5.5" model.

• Reply 58 of 110
    createriocreaterio Posts: 26member
    undefined
  • Reply 59 of 110
    rogifan wrote: »
    WWDC ends and now we get three months of leaked iPhone cases. Sigh.

Just skip the rumours if you find them that tiresome.
  • Reply 60 of 110
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So then the question becomes, how much battery can be fit in this thin case?  Yeah, it's longer and wider, but so too will be the energy-hungry display.  Should be interesting to see how this all comes together in the fall.

As we've seen with the significantly less power efficient Android-based devices using off-the-shelf components the power needed for the display components doesn't at the same rate as the volume gained by going with the volume from a larger footprint. We've seen plenty of Android-based devices get a larger display and become much thinner all while sporting a longer battery life with a larger battery.

So far, Apple has not made any of the mistakes of most of their competitors by focusing on a specific feature at the risk of ignoring the overall usability of the device so until that happens I have to think that if Apple thinks they can go thinner and lighter they will do so with the knowledge that the device will not have a lower usage time than in the previous model.

I think you're probably right. The only very slight pause for thought is the iPad 3. If you remember, it was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, took longer to charge and had slightly worse battery life. Of course, it also had the retina display, which probably outweighed the other negatives for most people, but to my mind, it was a small misstep by Apple. However, I'm confident that Apple will strive to at least keep the same battery life, if not make it longer.