Video shows alleged 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' mockup is taller than Samsung's Galaxy Note 3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    In profile it looks like there's been some major internal innovations. These things are super slim! New batteries? Reduced power use? I'd like to see a totally different face though.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member

The new iPad mini mini?

• Reply 43 of 80
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Without a stylus like the Galaxy Note series, users could need two hands for text input and UI navigation.

Because you only use one hand with a stylus ??

Anyway, I hope this big iPhone isn't real. If it is I don't ever want to see that monster.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    ljm8283ljm8283 Posts: 5member
    You know, if they were to make these phones with the same hardware and software ( 4'7 & 5'5) and same camera pixilization I can really see these phones taking off. 1 phone who like the one handed and pocket friendly easy to put anywhere and, 2 a phone for people who like big screens. Just keep the same specs. The bigger phone don't make a mass load all at first. Gotta see how the world wide audence embraces the 5'5 first.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    keviouskevious Posts: 1member
    Just wait and see people...
  • Reply 46 of 80
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The idiots are at it again. Bezels!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you realize how slim and sleek it will look compared to an iPad mini?!
  • Reply 47 of 80
    ksec wrote: »

He's got a 5.5 mockup? The mockups aren't produced by Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First the guy in the video is an idiot, He makes a statement he like when technology gets thinner and bigger, really? he like both extremes at the same time.

I am beginning to think that Apple is changing its strategy. We all are seeing too many of this leaked stuff, there is no reason to have these mock-up out in the wild since Apple never cared if phone covers were readily available when they launched a product. Why all of a sudden create all these mock-ups and distribute them widely.

They either do not care about the hardware design leaking out or they doing this on purpose  to hold people who may jump ship to Samsung from making that decision. I have seen on other discussion boards not related to apple talking about the iphone 6 and they are now going to wait, before that they were considering something else. I also heard other say they are doing to hold off on their upgrades of their samsung products to see what the iphone 6 has to offer.

• Reply 49 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

C'mon, don't deny it... you want it...

I can’t wait for it to… not come out, again proving wrong the people that say the same thing every year.

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

So as much as i hate to admit it..........maybe 5.5" really is coming.

The device for which we’ve seen absolutely nothing whatsoever, you mean? Contrasting the one for which all leaks (and “leaks”) have shown.

• Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am beginning to think that Apple is changing its strategy. We all are seeing too many of this leaked stuff, there is no reason to have these mock-up out in the wild since Apple never cared if phone covers were readily available when they launched a product. Why all of a sudden create all these mock-ups and distribute them widely.

They either do not care about the hardware design leaking out or they doing this on purpose  to hold people who may jump ship to Samsung from making that decision. I have seen on other discussion boards not related to apple talking about the iphone 6 and they are now going to wait, before that they were considering something else. I also heard other say they are doing to hold off on their upgrades of their samsung products to see what the iphone 6 has to offer.

I don't think Apple is handing out these mockups. I don't think Apple is producing them. I can't say where the mockups came from, but the story reported by rumor sites is that it's based on "leaked specs" or schematics. The mock ups appear pretty consistent with each other and those so-called leaked specs that I've seen, so this is plausible.

I'm not sure who is making the mockups, but my hypothesis is that whoever is making them (there may be multiple parties producing them) is selling them to interested parties, and more often than not, rumor sites are getting their hands on them, because that is a source of demand for mockups. The other source might be the dozens of case makers eager to get a jump on iPhone 6 cases. My hypothesis is that is what is driving all the mockups you see. Once the alleged specs leaked out, the mockup makers go to work, and rumor sites report the results. It's like a cottage industry.

• Reply 51 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Is there any information about the measurements of the bezel on these 2 mockups? It is hard to gauge from just the photo but I am curious what the measurement is from the edge of the screen to the bottom and also on top. How many cm is the 5s for comparison? Is the bezel area for the iPhone 5 the same as the 4s since that might give a hint.   If it remains the same distance as the 5s then the bezel will actually appear smaller with much larger displays than a 4" screen. The bottom is hard to shrink due to the home button and TouchID, but the top bezel area could easily be reduced if Apple wanted to save space by moving things around. Personally I had hoped for just a new 4.9 or 5" iPhone but 4.7" is close enough that I am excited. I would have to hold the 5.5" in person  before I decide but the fact that it is larger than a Note 3 which is already about the limit for a phone gives me some pause especially when the actual display is a bit smaller. If this turns out to be true I think Apple would get a lot of flack about that. 

• Reply 52 of 80

Here is another video about the next (most likely) iphone 6 (4.7):

• Reply 53 of 80

These pictures give a good comparison of the size.

• Reply 54 of 80
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

For those who say Apple will not make an asymmetrical device, where is the logic for that coming from? Good design does not necessarily mean symmetrical design. In my eyes, the original iPhone is one of the most beautiful designs.

• Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

For those who say Apple will not make an asymmetrical device, where is the logic for that coming from? Good design does not necessarily mean symmetrical design. In my eyes, the original iPhone is one of the most beautiful designs.

I agree and have no idea why some people think Apple would not reduce the top bezel based on symmetry alone. When you look at the pictures I posted just above it is really hard to think the iPhone just doesn't look as nice as those other phones from the front.  That bezel area at the top could easily be made much slimmer by moving things around. Apple can't really do much about the bottom bezel due to the home button, but silly to think they could not shrink the top due to some allegiance to exact symmetry with bezels. If these mockups turn out to be accurate I would bet is because they need the extra space for components or a larger battery and not because of symmetry. 

• Reply 56 of 80
    tom599tom599 Posts: 1member
    What bothers me with the prospect of a larger iPhone is: where am I going to keep it?

All my coats and jackets have phone pockets that I can just about squeeze my iPhone 5 into. Is this just me, or have they started making bigger phone pockets?

I really hope a bigger phone is an option, like the iPhone 5c.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

• Reply 58 of 80
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

the vid host lost all credibility with this:

Quote:

"the iPhone 5c which could be consider a flop"

...uh, nope. the US carriers are reporting it as their 2nd or 3rd best selling handset, right behind the 5s. its selling better than the second-tier before it in years past.

not a flop. these pundits/bloggers/analysts simply refuse to accept it.

• Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

And also, at last, improve their batteries!

ever wonder why nobody has exceptional batteries? hint: physics. we're using century-old battery concepts. this stuff isnt magic, and it isnt a matter of miniaturization or increased processor frequency (which is also petering out).

• Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

First the guy in the video is an idiot, He makes a statement he like when technology gets thinner and bigger, really? he like both extremes at the same time.

1) bigger screen and thinner body are two different things, and yes, can both be desired at the same time.

2) apple is not making nor leaking these mockups. as quoted in the video -- the case makers are making these mockups, based on what they believe are authentic leaked blueprints.