Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 221 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Don't they, though? 

I mean, when Samsung gets it right when Apple screws the pooch completely like they keep doing, it really makes me sick too.

Hey, Apple, get a clue.  People NEED to be able to change their batteries sometimes. 

I have two iPhones.  Why?  Because I can't change the battery.  I have to pop out the SIM card and move it to the spare phone when the battery dies.  It's completely ridiculous.

Seriously, where are you working that you can't get a charge? Why don't you invest in a solar charger if you work outdoors away from a vehicle? Why don't you invest in a car charger if you work from a vehicle. What legitimate reason prevents you from charging your phone throughout the day?

• Reply 222 of 328
    Seriously, where are you working that you can't get a charge? Why don't you invest in a solar charger if you work outdoors away from a vehicle? Why don't you invest in a car charger if you work from a vehicle. What legitimate reason prevents you from charging your phone throughout the day?

Just a troll who wants you to think they've got 10 iPhones (no, they don't have any Apple products...the post is simply designed to spread FUD) cause that's the only possible scenario. Can't change out the battery so must have to have back-up iPhones. It's the only way.
  • Reply 223 of 328
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    darkvader wrote: »
    I have to pop out the SIM card and move it to the spare phone when the battery dies.  It's completely ridiculous.
    I know you think it must work this way, but it doesn't. That's why you don't really have two identical iPhones.
  • Reply 224 of 328
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

And how long before that did he charge his phone?

This is a ridiculous viewpoint to have because you have no idea when he charged it and what he was doing to run the battery flat.

My experience with Android on the phone work gave me was if I didn't turn off mobile data my battery would last less than 3 hours. 3 hours gained by turning off the one feature that makes the phone something more than a phone. It's not a signal issue either because we have pretty good signal in most places around here.

Android seriously does suck.

Ok.

Put on charge the night before and left on charge over night even though it finished charging after a short time. If the following two days are work days, the data is only on when checking emails, browsing the web, facebook, and google+. I listen to music to and from work. 

On a none work day, my battery will last me a whole day as i use it more. 

So as you can see, Android does not seriously suck as you so eloquently put it.

• Reply 225 of 328
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Nothing is less believable.
  • Reply 226 of 328
    biterbiter Posts: 1member

I actually think Samsung are onto something. You cant fault them for identifying a weakness in there competition and running with it.

Many of my business collegues have complained about the battery life of the iphone 5 and are looking at possibly moving away from the brand, as I am also.

Myself I feel sure that the reception on my iphone 5 is the worst of any phone I have owned in 15 years. Either that or O2 are switching of there towers in the UK. This only adds to the poor battery life.

I wish the iphone 6 had double the battery size. I can handle a thinker phone. It makes little difference.

Galaxy 5S

Screen size 5.1

Weight 145 Grams

Battery 280mAh

iPhone 5S

Screen size 4

weight 112Grams

Battery 1570mAh

Really I would rather the iphone6 weighed that 33 grams had an extra 50% battery life.

• Reply 227 of 328
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Pages, Keynote, Numbers - Open office

Iphoto, Imovie, garageband - Never personally used these before so I'm not sure what capabilities they have. Windows Media Player seems like it may be equivalent iphoto and imovie.  Quick search of garageband equivalents for pc provide multiple free results and I'm fairly certain there are other freeware photo and movie editing programs available for pc.  iTunes is free and available on pc.

Viruses aren't issues for a user with any common sense.  Not to mention there is an abundance of good free anti virus programs.

If deciding a version of Windows to install is considered a problem, then I'm guessing you have much bigger issues.

Aesthetics is irrelevant. You don't have to place the computer tower on top of your desk in plain view.

Great that you kept a Mac running for 25 years, but that's also irrelevant.  It's not running any software made in the last 10 years.  If you found me a copy of Windows 3, I could probably install it and get it running.  Wouldn't be functional with today's standards by any means and neither is your 25 year old mac.  Also, Windows machine parts can be replaced and upgraded.  Can't say the same for Macs. 

Learning Curve.  That's a very specific task, and not really a basic one.  Not only that, you have no way of assessing if the Windows group learned additional skills beyond performing that single task.  And it's not the same people in both groups and you may not be using the same programs and you have no way of judging the quality of work done nor retention of said training.  You're not comparing equivalent things. 

I'll concede on the pricing Mac Pro, but that is the only desktop Mac that coming in with a lower bill of materials, and it is a very niche product.  The more average buyer is going with an iMac and if you compare hardware specs, it's not even close.

Then I don't think you can necessarily say that a "500" box equals or beats a "1000" box.  If you can, give a Mac a try; I really think you will be impressed.

Completely out of the box, as is, the Mac (well, the iMac or a notebook, the others need a display that is not include) can handle the tasks that I discussed.  You don't need to look for free apps or download anything.  The apps share many of the same features, making the learning curve faster.  The aesthetics, in particular the visual look of the display and UI, make learning easier and more enjoyable (yeah, IMHO!).  There is no need to choose a Mac OS version; there is only one that works great for everyone, and it's free; beginners don' t have to even ask.  Beginners don't know about viruses and thus are likely to fall victim to them; why should they need to worry about them in the first place?

A computer is not just hardware specs.  It is a complete system that includes software, the UI as well as the physical machine and the display.  Then there are differing needs amongst users.  For some, a room full of Mac Pros would be very helpful (3D video rendering, etc).  For others, the 25-year-old Mac I discussed would work fine; it certainly did for Tom Clancy (he used a Mac Plus, if I recall correctly).

• Reply 228 of 328
    I really wish Tim Cook would do something about these lying ads. Steve Jobs would never let this happen. I had to watch this crap for 3 years now. When the Mac vs PC commercials came on they were poking fun at vista. It was a failure and had many problems after a successful windows XP. Samsung is the one with problems poking fun at Apple. That's like saying Vista is better than Mac. Android sucks.

And Samsung sucks worse. They're the one with all the problems. My co-workers are the ones asking for phone chargers. It's a reason you have to be able to exchange batteries, SD cards, memory cards..cuz the phone is crap! The battery life is terrible. The SD cards deletes pictures. The memory card loses contacts. I can go on for days why iPhone is much better. I am starting to hate SamSuck more and more each commercial or dumb android fan (galaxy fan mainly ) I come across.
  • Reply 229 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post

Apple doesn't integrate external batteries because Steve would roll in his grave if they did.  They are completely against the whole mission of apple.  Phones should be made with big enough batteries that the hassle of changing them is unnecessary.  I don't know how you use your phone but the iPhone 5s should last a normal person at least one day on a full charge. 

When used as a phone sure but not as a mini tablet, which people will probably start doing a lot more of once Apple releases an iPhone with a larger screen. Movies, games, online music streaming, surfing for hours at a time are all things that will drink up your battery's precious juice faster then an alcoholic at a open bar. So what you might think is normal, others might call down right fruity, dainty behavior and a complete waste of a good phone's CPU cycles. Don't judge less thee be want'n to be judged too, or something along though lines, I forget, just don't assume what the norm to be.

Emphasis above mine. There is a normal expectation for battery capacity. Manufacturers do lots of research to arrive at a design specification. For example your next car, the Tesla X, will have a battery that will allow you to drive approximately 300 miles on level terrain, however, if you plan to make an extended day long trip over the Alps, that would probably require more energy than the vehicle was designed for, hence you'll likely need to stop and recharge somewhere along the way.

• Reply 230 of 328
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeapple1999 View Post

I really wish Tim Cook would do something about these lying ads. Steve Jobs would never let this happen. I had to watch this crap for 3 years now. When the Mac vs PC commercials came on they were poking fun at vista. It was a failure and had many problems after a successful windows XP. Samsung is the one with problems poking fun at Apple. That's like saying Vista is better than Mac. Android sucks.

And Samsung sucks worse. They're the one with all the problems. My co-workers are the ones asking for phone chargers. It's a reason you have to be able to exchange batteries, SD cards, memory cards..cuz the phone is crap! The battery life is terrible. The SD cards deletes pictures. The memory card loses contacts. I can go on for days why iPhone is much better. I am starting to hate SamSuck more and more each commercial or dumb android fan (galaxy fan mainly ) I come across.

I will do my best not to take your last line personally. Please be aware that not all Apple fans use Apple products exclusively.

• Reply 231 of 328
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Can’t Samsung be sued for this advertisement, then?

• Reply 232 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Can’t Samsung be sued for this advertisement, then?

What did they lie about?
  • Reply 233 of 328
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

The Galaxy S5 and the Note 3 both have higher resolution and bigger screens than any current or future iPhone namely iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5"

The champion on battery stamina and runtime is the NOKIA LUMIA 1520 with its 6 inch FULL HD 1920x1080 screen as tested by GSMArena:

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=5760

Good luck to the iPhone 6 5.5 inch beating any of those 3 monster.

There is no linear relationship between a device's display size/resolution and battery consumption. Yes, a larger, higher res display will consume more power. But the additional power drain is more than offset by the larger battery in a larger device.

Just compare battery life between iPhones and iPads. Clearly the iPads have much larger screens, but the larger batteries compensate for this many times over, resulting in several days of battery life instead of several hours.

iOS is far more power efficient than Android. Name a single Android phone with comparable performance and display as an iPhone that gets the same or better battery life. There aren't any. In fact, the technical difficulties associated with getting top performance and battery life out of a smaller and thinner device is the primary reason why Samsung and other Android OEMs have focused on larger phones - they lack the engineering prowess to compete head to head with Apple on a small and thin device.

When Apple releases larger screen phones later this year, Android OEMs will find themselves backed up against a wall as they will no longer be able to fool customers into thinking they offer better battery life unless they redesign their models to be even thicker and heavier than they already are.

• Reply 234 of 328
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    freediverx wrote: »

iOS is far more power efficient than Android. Name a single Android phone with comparable performance and display as an iPhone that gets the same or better battery life...
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-Moto-G-battery-life-test-the-long-distance-runner_id52497
  • Reply 235 of 328

Looks like someone just got exactly what they asked for. Nice job Gatorguy.

• Reply 236 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    PCs are as cheap as much as you want them to be, and as expensive as you are willing to pay. Like cars. You can get them cheap or uber-expensive, depending on your budget and requirements. But they are available on both ends of the scale.

PCs don't get viruses. Stupid users get viruses. Same as with cars, where drunk drivers get crashed and killed, not cars.

They are not difficult to use. They are more difficult than average tablets, but also can do more. Motorcycle is more difficult to use than bicycle.

They don't require constant IT support. Working for IT support firm, I can tell you that with absolute authority. Number of support calls we are receiving is abmusmally low nowadays. Most support calls we do get is from users having problem to access corporate printer, files share and such. Guess what? We get those calls from Mac users who bring their Macs to work.

Everyone know that, too.
    Wrong... PC's do get viruses, even by browsing Google search results, sometimes the user hasn't even performed a single action and their machine becomes compromised. We had this happen a TON of times at the law firm, and now the university, where I've worked.

I get users constantly coming to my desk with issues with Outlook crashing or loosing content, PC's crashing with a BSoD, issues with getting onto the corporate wireless, you name it, I get it all. The Mac's don't have any of these issues, and the only users of that platform I get are the ones with questions doing certain functions as they were recent converts. I have RARELY had any serious Mac issues.

The only thing I will give you is the corporate printer questions on Mac. As our network printers don't broadcast Bonjour, the Mac's need manual setup. But even then, it's painless, because the Mac's automatically detect the brand and model, go get the software and install it, and you're off to the races in under two minutes.

Please don't be a PC fanboy, because you will get destroyed in your FUD.
  • Reply 237 of 328
    jeffarinojeffarino Posts: 15member
    Hamstrung uses a rather ineffective marketing technique: mock the people you want to attract as customers!
  • Reply 238 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    robogobo wrote: »
    Spare battery! Yes, now if only I had a place to charge the dead battery while I'm using the fresh battery in the phone. Hmmm, ok I'll use the new battery until I get home and then I'll swap out the dead one when I go to bed to charge it. And then I'll have a half used battery for tomorrow and use it when the fully charged battery does and then I'll have two dead batteries tomorrow night. Oh heck I'll just set my alarm for 4am and swap batteries every other day. Problem solved! Thank god for power saving mode that tells me I'll get through the rest of the day by NOT USING MY PHONE.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Reply 239 of 328
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

This ad is right on the money.  I was at Starbucks in SOHO, NYC, sitting next to a wall socket charging my MacBook last week. I was swarmed by iPhone users the whole three hours. Some even asked if they could use the USB ports on my MacBook to charge their iPhones -- I let them. Perhaps Android phones aren't very popular in this particular neighborhood -- there were a lot of tourists -- , but there was no Galaxy phone users asking for charging. 

This image should explain why everyone who needed to charge their phone at the SoHo Starbucks had an iPhone. Hop over to Jersey and you may see the opposite. 

• Reply 240 of 328
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Don't they, though? 

I mean, when Samsung gets it right when Apple screws the pooch completely like they keep doing, it really makes me sick too.

Hey, Apple, get a clue.  People NEED to be able to change their batteries sometimes. 

I have two iPhones.  Why?  Because I can't change the battery.  I have to pop out the SIM card and move it to the spare phone when the battery dies.  It's completely ridiculous.

Back in the dumbphone days, I had a Motorola RAZR v3xx, and three batteries.  I had an external battery charger that would charge two at the same time.  I was pretty much guaranteed to never run out of power.

Now, I have to have two identical phones, and I get far less battery life than in the dumbphone days.

Why don't I just get a Samsung?  iOS is better than dumbphones, and it's better Android (well, at least once it's jailbroken, I would NEVER run iOS without a jailbreak). 

So all your photos, apps, data, text messages is scattered between 2 phones? Because you choose the most expensive, senseless, and least logical option for extending battery life?

Yes, Apple "doesn't have a clue" what people want. It's how they accidentally tripped into this position of ridiculous success. If people gave a shit about removable batteries the iPhone would have been DOA, not selling 50,000,000+ every quarter and replicated by everyone in the industry. For those that need more battery life (and are away from chargers the entire day) there are literally HUNDREDS of options out there for the iPhone, all of them superior to buying 2 phones. Please just buy a Samsung and spare us your never-ending lies.