Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [quote name="FreeRange" url="/t/181120/samsungs-latest-apple-targeting-ad-slams-battery-life-calls-iphone-users-wall-huggers/120#post_2559486"]Next, just like Samsung, get a good battery back up you can carry in your purse or briefcase, or even attached to your phone - a great model is the uNu Power DX case - it's brilliant, easy to put on and take off, and comes in handy on those rare occasions when I need it. You can find it here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP0U76S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/QUOTE]

For the very rare times I'll be without a plug for a few days I have the inexpensive Anker charger. Seems to work well enough and I like that it will also charge my iPad or anyone else's devices, if needed. Packs away nicely.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Smartphones-Adapters--Lightning/dp/B005NF5NTK/
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 142 of 328
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member

I just noticed - Samsung used the full-sized iPad chargers in some of the shots. You know it was intentional, so why would they do that? To imply that iPhone users have to carry around a "brick" instead of the space-saving cube chargers that come with an iPhone? In another shot there's clearly an aftermarket charger as it looks nothing like anything Apple makes.

• Reply 143 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I just noticed - Samsung used the full-sized iPad chargers in some of the shots. 

Ah...good catch. That might be explained in that they have an iPad and an iPhone and while traveling they only want to carry one charger so they choose the more powerful unit. Savvy Apple users! I do recall that the larger chargers did ship with the original iPhone. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

• Reply 144 of 328
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member

Sorry but unfortunately it may be an effective campaign.  iPhone users do often run low because the phones are so much more useful.  With all of the aps and better web surfing people actually USE iPhones.  A heavy user can run the battery down with a few hours of constant use.  This would happen to a Samsung just as fast (or faster!).  I need to charge my 5S midday sometimes after heavy use especially in a low signal area. 

• Reply 145 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Have never had to charge my iPhone in less than 24 hours. 

Me either. Very rarely I get a low battery message late at night but that just means I need to go to bed. I was FaceTiming for several hours yesterday and the iPhone still had 50% left in the tank when I was ready to call it a day.

• Reply 146 of 328
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I don't think this is a very compelling ad for Samsung.  They're talking battery life?  Neither phone lasts more than a day.

This is like saying a Honda Accord gets 6% better gas mileage than a Toyota Camry (ignore the numbers please, I just made them up).

That's not going to sell the Accord, not even if you lie about it and make it look like Camry owners spend ALL their time waiting in line to buy gas.

Maybe it it were a Prius vs. a Hummer.

But it ain't.  

Fail.

• Reply 147 of 328
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gbenitez View Post

Apple's CEO can make low brow classless remarks about competition every time he gets on stage.

Such as?

Quote:

Samsung makes an actually funny ad

When did this happen?

• Reply 148 of 328
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This is like saying a Honda Accord gets 6% better gas mileage than a Toyota Camry (ignore the numbers please, I just made them up).

You've been here for 10 years. You know that's not how it works here...  ;)

• Reply 149 of 328
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

I need to charge my 5S midday sometimes after heavy use especially in a low signal area. 

Yes, the transceiver will kick up the power if there's a low signal and drain the battery faster.

But *any* phone will do that. A coworker and I stream music and stuff all day in our low signal offices. I have iPhone and he has an Android something or other. We both leave them plugged in because the radios power up enough to make the phones very warm.

There's so many variables here that trying to make it brand unique is just horseshit. Of course all the ubergeek morons across the net are nodding their empty heads in unison to this ad because there's not a single independent thought amongst them.

• Reply 150 of 328
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    This desperate move is not gonna work.
    iPhone users know the deal.
  • Reply 151 of 328
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Have never had to charge my iPhone in less than 24 hours. Most often I charge it every two days. Granted, I am retired and not constantly texting, playing games, surfing the internet, or checking email, but the phone is never turned off. And I do a some all of those things several times a day. Battery life has never benn an issue for me, and I've owned every model ever made.
    mstone wrote: »
    Me either. Very rarely I get a low battery message late at night but that just means I need to go to bed. I was FaceTiming for several hours yesterday and the iPhone still had 50% left in the tank when I was ready to call it a day.

Same here.

The only time my iPhone ever COMPLETELY died was in Vegas. I was using it all day for GPS and photos... and uploading photos to Facebook.

My phone finally died in the early evening sitting at the bar in the Riviera. But I didn't panic... I put it away and enjoyed the night!
  • Reply 152 of 328
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Marvin wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?

You should've omitted the first 2, in the first one a iPod classic is being charged, and it looks like iDevices are being charged in the second.
  • Reply 153 of 328
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    mstone wrote: »
    Do you remember the PC hunter ads MS released? Sort of the same concept. Not so much trying to convert as it is trying to stop the bleeding.

Oh boy, do I. Pathetic beyond belief. :lol:

I see your point. I concede.
  • Reply 154 of 328
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

can't argue with that - my iphone 5 drains pretty fast and i cannot figure out which app is responsible for it. I recharge twice a day at least. I read that iOS 8 will support a feature that lets you see how much power each app consume.

Do you connect to an Exchange server?

Delete the account then readd it. I used to have that problem every time Apple update iOS although I haven't seen the issue with iOS 7.

• Reply 155 of 328
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You're this guy-->

Awesome in his own fantasies.

That looks like an ad for domestic violence to be honest with you.

• Reply 156 of 328
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

i have the Samsung Galaxy Neo Y (provided by my company) and the charge lasts really long.. sometimes I just find it being dead after few days.. now.. you know why it lasts long, right??? :D

• Reply 157 of 328
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How do you know that they aren't buying advertising space on network television?

I assume they haven't because I haven't seen it featured on any of the professional advertising groups I subscribe to or these Apple-focused blogs haven't referenced an actual tv spot yet. But I guess we know what assuming can lead to :)
  • Reply 158 of 328
    revenant wrote: »
    it is not bravery- they spent truckloads of money last year on advertising.  in the end it helped negligibly.  now they want to pull back on spending.

Good point about the business reasons! But I still use the word "bravery" for this reason...
    Putting it on their own website would cost almost nothing if they really believed the message could work. But they don't, and they still want to find a way to insult Apple without taking any risk – I call that being a cowardly company. And when you try to influence customers with negative emotions about their decisions or making fun of other customers, then I think it's fair game to talk about "bravery" and "cowardice".
  • Reply 159 of 328
    Cheap shot, misinformation, call it what you will. It's an incredibly poignant ad that hits a chord for a lot of people. Here's hoping it manages to get under Apple's skin...
  • Reply 160 of 328
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    mistercow wrote: »
    Why does it matter if they were the underdog? I'll counter and say why does Apple have to talk about malware on Android when they're one of the largest smartphone manufacturers in the world.

It must really bother Apple that people are willing to choose Android and risk getting their identity stolen just to get all the things Android has to offer.
    Maybe they just hate to see people fooled into thinking they are safe when they are not. They also know that these facts are buried by Google unless there is a quote from Apple
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Doesn't matter when they last charged it, the fact is that the poster was swarmed for 3 hrs by iPhone users looking to charge their phones. The scenario he experienced directly correlated with the Samsung ad.

Sounds odd to me and any iPhone user I know. I work 12 hour shifts and use my phone a lot. Unless there is an issue with the wifi I always have at least 20% left. If I don't use it much I actually have had days I have 70 to 80% left. swarmed by iPhone users for 3 hrs sound bogus to me. The last band I was in, everyone but one had iPhones. The android guy was the only one who always had to plug his phone into my keyboard or laptop, every gig or practice.