Apple's Maps team calling businesses to resolve user-reported address issues

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't use Street View much at all. I know it is important for realtors and home buying, leasing and getting to know a new city, but I rarely need that. What do you use Street View for?

All of those, my wife is a Realtor so we definitely scope out areas for those reasons. Plus when I am going somewhere on vacation I like to explore the area at ground level. I find when I get there I get my sense of where I am kicks in very quickly from the visual memory of seeing the place for real before. On top of that I just love exploring places I will never go and seeing what they really look like and lastly I explore places I know, but haven't visited in decades (such as the UK and Spain where I used to live) to see how they have changed. I probably missed many other reasons out.

Pure coincidence ... just came across this article: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/first-time-ever-you-can-explore-angkor-wat-google-street-view-180950348/
  • Reply 62 of 79
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I want to know where Apple and Google gets these addresses in the first place. If we knew that, we'd at least have a place to start making corrections.

No one seems to know where they get this data from... yet all the POI data is dependent upon it.

You'd have to contact the individual companies in question, but in many cases, there are clues in the copyright block for the mapping service. Sources like Navteq, TomTom, OpenStreetMap, etc. are often quoted, so those are some of the original sources. 

If Navteq put your nearby pizzeria on the wrong block on their maps, and Big Internet Company X buys Navteq's map data, well, Big Internet Company X's map will have that pizzeria on the wrong block.

Note that Big Internet Company X's deal with the map provider may not include incremental updates. If that is the case, it is up to Big Internet Company X to make their own changes to the original dataset. Now if you were Big Internet Company X and you identified the correct location of the nearby pizzeria using their own team/effort, would you contact the map vendor and tell them their data was wrong? No, you'd keep the new/updated information to yourself and your map would be a bit more accurate than theirs.

If there is an original data source, you will find that information if you dig deep enough due to copyright law.

Remember that a map dataset is like a photograph, a snapshot in time. If I buy a map from the gas station, or if I pick one up from the AAA office, that's a map that covers street data from a narrow time band. It won't list the previous names of streets, it won't show new construction (like the new eastern span of the SF Bay Bridge). Unless the map vendor and the customer agree on terms for periodic data updates, it's likely a one-time dataset purchase.

Based on Apple's behavior (including acquisition of numerous mapping companies), it is highly likely that Apple made a one-time map dataset purchase and walked away, believing that they would be able to do a better job at updating the dataset themselves versus subscribing to updates from the map vendor.

• Reply 63 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,215member
    mpantone wrote: »
    You'd have to contact the individual companies in question, but in many cases, there are clues in the copyright block for the mapping service. Sources like Navteq, TomTom, OpenStreetMap, etc. are often quoted, so those are some of the original sources. 

If Navteq put your nearby pizzeria on the wrong block on their maps, and Big Internet Company X buys Navteq's map data, well, Big Internet Company X's map will have that pizzeria on the wrong block.

Note that Big Internet Company X's deal with the map provider may not include incremental updates. If that is the case, it is up to Big Internet Company X to make their own changes to the original dataset. Now if you were Big Internet Company X and you identified the correct location of the nearby pizzeria using their own team/effort, would you contact the map vendor and tell them their data was wrong? No, you'd keep the new/updated information to yourself and your map would be a bit more accurate than theirs.

If there is an original data source, you will find that information if you dig deep enough due to copyright law.

Remember that a map dataset is like a photograph, a snapshot in time. If I buy a map from the gas station, or if I pick one up from the AAA office, that's a map that covers street data from a narrow time band. It won't list the previous names of streets, it won't show new construction (like the new eastern span of the SF Bay Bridge). Unless the map vendor and the customer agree on terms for periodic data updates, it's likely a one-time dataset purchase.

Based on Apple's behavior (including acquisition of numerous mapping companies), it is highly likely that Apple made a one-time map dataset purchase and walked away, believing that they would be able to do a better job at updating the dataset themselves versus subscribing to updates from the map vendor.
    http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=386

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/Maps White paper_UK.pdf
  • Reply 64 of 79
    robkorobko Posts: 5member
    B.S. I've used Maps reporting well over a dozen items over 3 years to tell Apple that the town I live in, Marblemount, WA, is not 25 miles from here on a mountain inaccessible by road. Considering we have a post office, which I repeatedly pinpoint, Apple has not corrected this, nor has anyone contacted me.

They're so concerned about an individual business, but don't care when they misplace an entire town - after being notified over a dozen times.
  • Reply 65 of 79

Those two links are meaningless at this point.

Apple purchased a map dataset of ___ quality from TomTom at a certain point. They have been updating it with their own corrections.

Before there was anyone on the Internet doing mapping stuff, there were only a couple of these databases around. Now there are more players, but most of them go back to a handful of sources, licensed at different times, of course.

What is your point of posting those two links dated from 2012? Sure, those links would have been relevant in the online mapping world in 2012, but things have changed, companies move forward (Apple itself has purchased a number of other mapping companies and appear to be fixing issues on a daily basis).

• Reply 66 of 79

What is your point of posting those two links dated from 2012?

It should be obvious if you read the linked articles. One explains the data that goes into a map and how updates are put together. The other lists the data sources and partners for Apple maps along with what now appears to be fairly accurate comments on potential issues for them as they begin their mapping venture. Both are things that you yourself discussed. I simply added more detail from professional sources for anyone interested. You are not one of those interested parties it would seem.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It should be obvious if you read the linked articles. One explains the data that goes into a map update while the other lists the data sources and partners for Apple maps. Both are things that you yourself discussed. I simply added more detail from professional sources for anyone interested. You obviously are not one of those interested parties.

Ah, but we don't know if Apple is using the TomTom service as a subscription, as many GPS navigation app services might be doing, or if they purchased the Tele Atlas data as a one-time event.

Let's say you are little GPS app developer: yes, you can purchase and repackage the TomTom map data, and all the updates come from TomTom. 

Note that the PDF you linked refers to TomTom's retail product, including Map Share. There is no interface on Apple Maps to access Map Share.

The blog entry is even more tenuous. It is penned by a third-party map industry writer written before Apple actually released their map to the world. Basically, it was a speculative "reply" to what was announced during WWDC 2012.

Again, your two links are not really relevant in mid-July 2014.

You appear to have a tendency to post technical links that actually have no or minimal relevance to the topic at hand.

I'm just Joe Consumer.

• Reply 68 of 79
    Ah, but we don't know if Apple is using the TomTom service as a subscription, as many GPS navigation app services might be doing. 

Let's say you are little GPS app developer: yes, you can purchase and repackage the TomTom map data, and all the updates come from TomTom. 

Note that the PDF you linked refers to TomTom's retail product, including Map Share. There is no interface on Apple Maps to access Map Share.

The blog entry is even more tenuous. It is penned by a third-party map industry writer written before Apple actually released their map to the world. Basically, it was a speculative "reply" to what was announced during WWDC 2012.

Again, your two links are not really relevant in mid-July 2014.

Makes no difference to the relevancy whether TomTom is supplying on-going map updates or not. Apple would have to go thru the same general steps TomTom would if doing it themselves. So yeah, it's kinda relevant to those that have an interest. Regarding Dr. Dobson's article written prior to Apple Maps public release here's his blog article written post-release.
    http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399

I guarantee that if you read those links in their entirety you learned something you didn't know. I did and I'd be willing to wager I'm at least as familiar with the subjects of mapping and location services as you good sir. ;)
  • Reply 69 of 79
    So far over the past month Apple has implemented many of the fixes I have submitted, however they still have not added the 2 major hospitals they are missing in my city. I included the address, phone number and websites when i reported the missing locations.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Makes no difference to the relevancy whether TomTom is supplying on-going map updates or not. Apple would have to go thru the same general steps TomTom would if doing it themselves. So yeah, it's kinda relevant to those that have an interest. Regarding Dr. Dobson's article written prior to Apple Maps public release here's his blog article written post-release.

http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399

I guarantee that if you read those links in their entirety you learned something you didn't know. I did and I'd be willing to wager I'm at least as familiar with the subjects of mapping and location services as you good sir. image

Here we go again.

Whatever procedures Apple, TomTom, OpenStreetMaps, whatever goes through to updated and improve their map data is completely irrelevant to Joe Consumer. 

Reading some highly speculative technical article by some map tech blogger does nothing to improve that map on Joe Consumer's smartphone or computer. I can read all of the blogs, spec sheets, whitepapers, whatever you throw at us. You describe the solution, but the documents describing the procedures still don't DO anything themselves. You reallydon't get that do you?

Plus, we don't even know if what map blogger and TomTom whitepaper is exactly what Apple does. Guess what? WE DON'T NEED TO KNOW WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES. Heck, Apple doesn't even tell ADC members how they are updating map data.

You know, I could easily use my favorite search engine and find all the same documents you do. Why don't I? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER. Learning how it might work/be accomplished doesn't make it happen.

• Reply 71 of 79
    Here we go again.

Whatever procedures Apple, TomTom, OpenStreetMaps, whatever goes through to updated and improve their map data is completely irrelevant to Joe Consumer. 

Reading some highly speculative technical article by some map tech blogger does nothing to improve that map on Joe Consumer's smartphone or computer. I can read all of the blogs, spec sheets, whitepapers, whatever you throw at us. You describe the solution, but the documents describing the procedures still don't DO anything themselves. You reallydon't get that do you?

Plus, we don't even know if what map blogger and TomTom whitepaper is exactly what Apple does. Guess what? WE DON'T NEED TO KNOW WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES. Heck, Apple doesn't even tell ADC members how they are updating map data.

You know, I could easily use my favorite search engine and find all the same documents you do. Why don't I? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER. Learning how it might work/be accomplished doesn't make it happen.

What are you on about now? You've lost your way. Do you even remember the question you attempted to answer that started this discussion? Here's the reminder
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181336/apples-maps-team-calling-businesses-to-resolve-user-reported-address-issues/40#post_2563356

Micheal Scrip asked and you offered an answer, albeit incomplete. I filled in the blanks for someone who had a stated interest. It's pretty silly that doing so bothers you so much.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    dhodorydhodory Posts: 6member
    I always found Apple's entry into mapping short-sighted and reactionary (to distance themselves from Google). When I look at their platforms Google has a very broad platform built on "good enough" levels of software and devices (that's not a criticism, by the way, since "good enough" usually wins in consumer markets)., whereas Apple's claim to fame, whether you agree with it or not, is much more "perfecting the use-case". Additionally, Google has tremendous breadth and depth to support mapping activities, namely search and advertising. You almost couldn't come up,with a better prerequisite foundation for maps than search. Pile on top of that Google's head start and massive investment in the space (Google street view cars mapping everything in sight) and I find it hard to believe how Apple will *ever* catch up .... as in ever. The only possible saving grace for Apple is their recent entry into the automotive space. If they can somehow leverage that presence to refine their mapping data they will catch up quickly ... but right now I don't know how they would do that from a practical perspective.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Was Yelp the only source they used?

Of course not, read their attribution.html:
    http://gspa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html

sully54 wrote: »
    I can actually appreciate now how apple didn't announce anything new for maps at WWDC. It seems they want to get the current iteration right first before they attempt to add new features. Perhaps in September when ios 8/Yosemite is launched they will finally add on new features.

Good point. May I add: please Apple, let me import/overlay my .gpx files on the Apple Maps app on OSX! And I can't find a good alternative to the shitty BaseCamp app from Garmin.
    My question is why don't they just use tomtom's POI data?

They already do, see above link.
    chris_ca wrote: »
    That would be Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska.
    Glacier National Park is in Montana.

(Pedantry abounds!)

Sorry, you are correct, my bad.

I may have failed before, but I copied your "Glacier National Park" in Maps* and added ", Alaska" and it found it, telling me it's actually called "Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve"

(*on OSX)
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think iAds is really a commercial success either.

1) Neither do I

2) Merely responding to that line in order to stay on topic: I silly wanted people to check out the iAd Producer video on their software; looks really cool!

http://advertising.apple.com/tools/iad-producer/
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Citation?

Citation is my post.  It's my opinion, not something I read elsewhere.

• Reply 75 of 79
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Citation?
    Citation is my post.  It's my opinion, not something I read elsewhere.

I think your phrase "is coming" caused him to request a link or citation, which I think is understandable.

I agree with your wish for Apple Maps to gain a Spotlight-like search algorithm, though see my previous reply to [@]digitalclips[/@] on his search for a place in Alaska.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    tbell wrote: »
    I like Ape Maps, but POI data is it's big weakness.

Been watching Planet of the Apes recently? Lol!
  • Reply 77 of 79
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I wonder where they got that data from?

Did you move your business from one address to another? Or is it listed somewhere completely wrong? Maybe they have old data that hasn't been updated... but what is that data?

I want to know where Apple and Google gets these addresses in the first place. If we knew that, we'd at least have a place to start making corrections.

No one seems to know where they get this data from... yet all the POI data is dependent upon it.

I Don't know, I'm trying to track down the source of the data at the moment. I get about 4 customers a day baffled by the map directions who eventually find us. I would say there were the same number of customers that never find us = lost business.

• Reply 78 of 79
    I Don't know, I'm trying to track down the source of the data at the moment. I get about 4 customers a day baffled by the map directions who eventually find us. I would say there were the same number of customers that never find us = lost business.

I pointed to the answer a few posts back but to be specific Apple is apparently using at least three disparate sources: Acxiom, Localeze, and Yelp reviews. I imagine trying to combine the three into one when they sometimes differ on POI locations has been a headache.
  • Reply 79 of 79

i think Jiayu G4Tphone is ok.