Samsung says iPhone 5s users have 'screen envy' of Galaxy S5 in latest ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
In a commercial released on Monday, Samsung goes after Apple's rumored larger-screened iPhone offerings expected to launch this fall, saying the Galaxy smartphone line has had the feature for two years.

Source: Samsung via YouTube

The ad is an obvious dig at Apple's reluctance to roll out big-screened "phablet" phones, instead opting for more manageable screen sizes with ratios both conducive the one-handed use and backwards compatibility with older apps.

Two friends sit at a coffee bar, one with an iPhone 5s, the other with a Galaxy S5. The iPhone owner makes a comment about rumors regarding Apple's expected launch of a larger-screened "iPhone 6."

"That hasn't happened yet," the Samsung user asks before a narrator says, "You know that thing you've been waiting on for like two years, and how it's supposed to be awesome and how it's going to blow your mind? Well it's been here this whole time. But maybe you like waiting."

The two friends compare phones, with the 4-inch iPhone 5s showing a Macworld article regarding rumors of the so-called "iPhone Air," which is thought to hit later this year with a 5.5-inch screen.

The Galaxy owner says, "You must be happy," before stepping out to answer a call.

Interestingly, the Galaxy S5 employs a 5.1-inch screen, a size in between Apple rumored next-gen hardware, which is thought to be coming in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch flavors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Samsung is doooom
  • Reply 2 of 105
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Pathetic.

All Samsung is doing is insuring more people will switch to the iPhone 6.

The iPhone 6 is the mother of all upgrades.

Samsung is desperately trying to avoid the Typhoon, Hurricane, Earthquake and Tsunami that is coming right at it.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 4 of 105
    I guess Samsung would have to tread carefully here. By showing a rumor article from a magazine they're covering their asses by giving away inside information they might already know (because they're a supplier of LCD screens).
  • Reply 5 of 105
    Where is Samsung's TV Ad about Apple's 'child labor envy'? Opps... too soon?
  • Reply 6 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Oh Samsung are you pathetic....pathetically obsessed with Apple. Clearly they're freaked out about what's coming from Apple and how it will impact future Galaxy sales. Probably why we're hearing rumors of an all metal Galaxy phone coming out in the fall.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Yeah, except I don't. I like my 3.5" screen to be honest (little thumbs). I think big phones look stupid and if you use one I assume you are a socially and economically depressed douche.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    LOL, Apple has sold so many more iPhone 5's than Samsung has sold S5. I love desperation!!
  • Reply 9 of 105
    Shows how terrified they are of the new iPhone 6, it's cute really. They know the iPhone 6 will be their demise.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member
    I'd really like to see Samsung come out with ads that simply talk about their own products instead of featuring iPhones in every ad.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    I wish Apple would come out with a SMALLER phone like the old Palm Pre - just to F* wit the industry.

Then we'd know for sure that all these other companies are just copy-cats.

G
  • Reply 12 of 105
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Okay, I realize Samsung is trying to change perceptions or sway current iPhone users to switch.

But this could come back to haunt them.

What if the iPhone 6 does indeed address all the 'shortcomings' Samsung has mentioned?

Then surely, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy a Galaxy S5.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Really could a company BE more needy that Samsung?

• Reply 14 of 105
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

LOL, Apple has sold so many more iPhone 5's than Samsung has sold S5. I love desperation!!

IIRC they've sold more 5Cs than Sam has sold S5's.....

• Reply 15 of 105
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Just hope we still have a 4" high end model as an option. Me and millions of other happy iPhone owners do not have big screen envy. Please don't forget about us, Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I admit I have Samsung screen envy, but that's doesn't mean I'm going to buy one. In 2 months this commercial will be irrelevant.

• Reply 17 of 105
    satchmo wrote: »
    Okay, I realize Samsung is trying to change perceptions or sway current iPhone users to switch.

What if the iPhone 6 does indeed address all the 'shortcomings' Samsung has mentioned?

Ummm....are you under the illusion that it hasn't already come back and kicked samsung? Their mobile sales are falling and the S5 is selling worse than 5S's and they've been out for almost a year. Also, there are no shortcomings in an iphone that could make samsung look like a viable alternative.
  • Reply 18 of 105
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

In 2 months this commercial will be irrelevant.

As will the Galaxy S5.

• Reply 19 of 105
    woodbinewoodbine Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Then Samsung will just have to bring out an even bigger phone, Oh wait, they have, it's called the Note and it's a massive success, not.

• Reply 20 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh Samsung are you pathetic....pathetically obsessed with Apple. Clearly they're freaked out about what's coming from Apple and how it will impact future Galaxy sales. Probably why we're hearing rumors of an all metal Galaxy phone coming out in the fall.

Rogifan,this time I agree with you 100%!

Samsung is promoting a rumor that Apple is coming out with a larger iPhone screen. The people who not aware of the rumors are being made aware of the rumors thanks to Samsung spending mucho money to promote the rumors. How stupid can this company get?