1Password for iOS/Mac gets temporary price cut, upcoming iOS 8 version to be free update [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    deleted double post
  • Reply 62 of 97
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I don't see why they don't offer the same app Mac and IOS version in 1 package in first place.

It is because the only way to get iOS apps is through Apple App Store. There is no way to tie iOS App Store sale to Mac App Store or non Mac App Store sale.

• Reply 63 of 97
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Does surfing the web through the browser from 1Password help? I understand it automatically can log you in, but does it automatically log you out? Asked by [@]DocNo42[/@]

[I]Most importantly the authentication token in your cookie is unencrypted - how many people think to log out when done surfing a site?[/I]

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181695/apples-steve-jobs-had-vision-of-building-an-open-wi-fi-utopia/40#post_2576299
  • Reply 64 of 97
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I don't hate - I bought a computer to do things for me. Sounds like you may have bought a computer to be a rather expensive notebook. No worries. Whatever time you perceive to save by having your computer run faster than mine is more than eaten up by the amount of time taken to switch apps back and forth repeatedly to copy and paste.

Really, personal digs aside, each of us has our workflow preferences. However, us Mac users generally spend a lot of money for our computers and to me the cost of the software in comparison is not much considering the convenience and security of password management. I mean, really. I have spent a lot of money on tools like OmniFocus when I could just track my tasks in a spreadsheet (or a spiral notebook). Again, I bought a computer to do things for me and I like the way OmniFocus helps my workflow. 1Password is another one of those tools that I feel saves me time and mental energy.

iCloud Keychain works without copying and pasting.  I can also memorize a few strong critical passwords without taxing my mighty brain.  Not that hard, champ.  :smokey:

I run lean systems, and preserve CPU/resources by avoiding non-essential add-on apps.  That should tell you where my computer priorities are.  However since this subtle nuance is probably lost on you, as is the importance of doing so, I'll try to explain so 'serious' 1Password and Omnifocus users can understand:

CPU and data intensive tasks often require the full resources of a computer.   1Password is not an intensive task for a computer.  If you are the type of computer user that does a lot of intensive tasks, you're probably not phased in the slightest by website passwords, and therefore not bloating your system with needless cruft.

For any knowledgable Mac user, the feature set of 1Password is mostly redundant, and the rest are far from mission critical.  For those computer users whose needs top out with the 'tremendous complexity' of logging into websites, then extraneous remembering-passwords utilities are probably for you.  Maybe you should also consider some productivity seminars too?
  • Reply 65 of 97
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    redefiler wrote: »
     Maybe you should also consider some productivity seminars too?</span>
    [/COLOR]

What is wrong with you?
  • Reply 66 of 97
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What is wrong with you?

It's just a problem with your screen resolution settings.

• Reply 67 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

iCloud Keychain works without copying and pasting.  I can also memorize a few strong critical passwords without taxing my mighty brain.  Not that hard, champ.  :smokey:

I run lean systems, and preserve CPU/resources by avoiding non-essential add-on apps.  That should tell you where my computer priorities are.  However since this subtle nuance is probably lost on you, as is the importance of doing so, I'll try to explain so 'serious' 1Password and Omnifocus users can understand:

CPU and data intensive tasks often require the full resources of a computer.   1Password is not an intensive task for a computer.  If you are the type of computer user that does a lot of intensive tasks, you're probably not phased in the slightest by website passwords, and therefore not bloating your system with needless cruft.

For any knowledgable Mac user, the feature set of 1Password is mostly redundant, and the rest are far from mission critical.  For those computer users whose needs top out with the 'tremendous complexity' of logging into websites, then extraneous remembering-passwords utilities are probably for you.  Maybe you should also consider some productivity seminars too?

Ouch... So I capitulated in my last post and admitted you and I have different workflows. Which one of them is correct? Both - I don't get yours, but it works for you, just as mine works for me. Feel free to (continue to) correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I never insulted you nor asked for you to be so degrading. I'll take my ignorance (and my years of experience) and leave you to either enjoy your superiority, or the insecurity that causes you to insult me; I'm not sure which it is because, I'm afraid, subtle nuances are clearly beyond my grasp.

Or maybe, just maybe it's you who can't understand how anyone could possibly have a different idea than you and yet still have a couple of brain cells knocking about? Hmmm... I'll leave you to ponder that. Either way, I'll just leave you alone. I'd hate to continue embarrassing myself.

• Reply 68 of 97
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I don't see why complaining isn't legitimate. I'm running on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 at home and the vast majority of software I use runs just fine on it.

I've seen some software where the developers say that the APIs they need changed starting in Lion so they dropped Snow Leopard support and only support Lion and newer. I don't like that either, but a least it's a fair excuse. But I can't think of any other software I know of that demands so recent an OS version for their Mac client as 10.8.5.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about 1Password and have never run it, so if it's possible to use it just on an iOS device and still be able to enter passwords while I'm on my Mac, I'm all ears - but most of the benefits of a password manager come from Forms auto-fill which obviously isn't possible in that scenario.

What can I say? If you're happy with Snow Leopard and iOS as it is... then you're just going to have to accept and forfeit using some of the apps available.

Not only now mind you, but when Yosemite and iOS 8 hit in October, a number of devs will drop old versions (as of Lion I expect) and new titles will surely be for 10.9 or iOS 7 and above.

Sorry... but that's how Apple and it's dev community works. Regardless, and in everything else in life... "Be Happy" and don't be a complainer...:smokey:
  • Reply 69 of 97
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    1Password stores every piece of important info and makes it secure to "carry" with you. Logins, credit cards, bank accounts, driver's licenses, Social Security numbers, passports, reward membership, etc. And it's all secured through tight encryption.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    iCloud Keychain does everything I need. Stores credit card details securely and enters them automatically in Safari. Safari suggests strong passwords when needed. For all the other bumpf like serial numbers, Driving Licence, etc., I store these separately, as it's very rare that I need access to that information.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iCloud Keychain does everything I need. Stores credit card details securely and enters them automatically in Safari. Safari suggests strong passwords when needed. For all the other bumpf like serial numbers, Driving Licence, etc., I store these separately, as it's very rare that I need access to that information.

1. How do you keep track of the age of your last password change?
    2. How can you tell if you have any duplicate passwords?
    3. How can you tell if you have any weak passwords?
    4. How can you tell which passwords should be changed because their site has recently been compromised?
    5. How do you keep track of all your secret questions and answers in case you need to reset a password?
    6. How do you store your credit card details, like annual fee, when the annual fee is charged, APR, when the bill is due, percentage rate for purchases, percentage rate for cash advances, and other aspects of a CC that iCloud Keychain has zero fields for?

Additionally, I also use 1Password to store the proper email address with alias (e.g.: [email protected]) for various sites. Granted, that is easy to parse out but not enough people use it at this point that I doubt it's commonly used and it makes it easy for me to set up smart folders in Mail.
  • Reply 72 of 97
    solipsismx wrote: »

1. How do you keep track of the age of your last password change?
    2. How can you tell if you have any duplicate passwords?
    3. How can you tell if you have any weak passwords?
    4. How can you tell which passwords should be changed because their site has recently been compromised?
    5. How do you keep track of all your secret questions and answers in case you need to reset a password?
    6. How do you store your credit card details, like annual fee, when the annual fee is charged, APR, when the bill is due, percentage rate for purchases, percentage rate for cash advances, and other aspects of a CC that iCloud Keychain has zero fields for?

1 because Safari only suggests strong ones, I don't need to keep changing them, and therefore don't need to keep track of password changes.

2 Safari keeps track of duplicate passwords. It always suggests unique passwords, so there are none.

3 Safari only suggests strong passwords.

4 A reputable site will tell you if their passwords have been compromised; I only frequent those.

5 I store these answer separately, if at all, as it is unlikely I would need them. All sites will reset these if necessary anyway.

6 I'm not interested in storing these minor details.

I don't understand your sentence about 'proper email addresses.'

Additionally, I also use 1Password to store the proper email address with alias (e.g.: [email protected]) for various sites. Granted, that is easy to parse out but not enough people use it at this point that I doubt it's commonly used and it makes it easy for me to set up smart folders in Mail.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    1 because Safari only suggests strong ones, I don't need to keep changing them, and therefore don't need to keep track of password changes.

2 Safari keeps track of duplicate passwords. It always suggests unique passwords, so there are none.

3 Safari only suggests strong passwords.

4 A reputable site will tell you if their passwords have been compromised; I only frequent those.

5 I store these answer separately, if at all, as it is unlikely I would need them. All sites will reset these if necessary anyway.

6 I'm not interested in storing these minor details.

I don't understand your sentence about 'proper email addresses.'

1) What good does that do if the site was compromised to the fullest?

2) So if you have duplicate passwords from before Safari will suggest the ones you need to change?

3) So if you have weak passwords from before Safari will suggest the ones you need to change?

4) So you'd like to believe.

5a) If you store them separately, I guess that's fine, but it's less convenient than having data split all over the place.

5b) If you don't have to write them down then you either have an eidetic memory, you're using the same questions and answers, or you're using authentic questions and answers for each site.

5c) If a site resets them then what good do they do you?

6) I am, because I like to know when these charges are coming up so I maximize how much I take advantage of my credit rating. I even write down the bonus points each cards gets for various purchases which is on each card so I can maximize how much money I get back. This yield me a couple thousand US dollars each year without having to pay any interest to the banks.

7) I gave an example of what an email alias is and why one would use it. It's been a part of the email protocol for many years now and is in use by all the major email servers to which I'm aware.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Speaking of weak passwords, why is there an UPPER password length limit for iCloud accounts? I can’t use my standard password in its entirety there.

• Reply 75 of 97
    Speaking of weak passwords, why is there an UPPER password length limit for iCloud accounts? I can’t use my standard password in its entirety there.

I'd say so the DB field can be limited, but a lot of sites are far too low. Oddly, I see financial institutions that tend to have short password lengths. That said, that's not my biggest issue with password length, it's when they don't tell you there is an upper limit and then silently truncate the password you've saved so that the next time you log in it doesn't work. How hard is it to say "password must be between x and y" before you put it in or come back with a PHP error saying that the password is too long?

PS: One thing I'd like 1Password to add, which I haven't yet inquired about, is getting to choose which special characters will be used for a site or, more conveniently, having them be aware of which websites allow only a small selection of special characters.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How can you tell which passwords should be changed because their site has recently been compromised?

How does 1Password know if a site has been compromised?

• Reply 77 of 97
    How does 1Password know if a site has been compromised?

I'm glad you asked. Right now it checks the SSL to see if it's vulnerable to Heartbleed. This is what caused them to create this feature in the first place. After Heartbleed occurred I had this "novel" idea that I thought would be great for the next major revision of 1Password… so I told them, and they said it was already in the works and would be in the next update.

Note this is just the first step and isn't only reliant on Heartbleed.
  • Reply 78 of 97
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    redefiler wrote: »
    If the recent stolen password thing is anything other than hype, it's yet another fine reason not to add another entity like 1Password, and point of failure into the ways your junk can get jacked.

Let's see, you store your passwords on an online service in an unencrypted form so that "if the password thing is anything but hype" you just about guarantee easy access to, by your own admission, your most critically account credentials.

vs.

Storing them in an extremely secure tool that keeps them encrypted at all times, automatically secures itself after a short time, gives you a way to make using your passwords more easy to encourage you to actually use completely random and different ones per web site, and can be used with just about any mix of device and OS.

Yes, what an incredible point of failure that is :rolleyes:

And to who ever made a quip about writing down passwords as being insecure - just stop it. That single worst piece of security advice EVER is what causes most people to pick asinine passwords in the first place. Writing down passwords is perfectly fine if you secure the paper they are written on! Telling people to write them down then secure them is far more realistic than telling people to use different passwords and just memorize them.

No matter where they are, I routinely print out all my names and passwords and stick 'em in my safe or safety deposit box. Because crap happens, be it iCloud deciding to randomly wipe out documents in your iCloud account or you forgetting your master password to 1Password. Being prepared is always a good thing.

As well as having some common sense. Really people, there is nothing magical about this crap. Passwords based on words are weak due to little things called dictionaries. Entropy is your friend, but it's not magic. Whole words decrease entropy, randomness and password length increase it. And no, substituting a 3 for an E doesn't increase entropy that much - for some crazy reason crackers are on to 'leet speak' :rolleyes:
  • Reply 79 of 97
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Does surfing the web through the browser from 1Password help?

Nope - as I answered over there it's the way web browsers work and 1Password does nothing to change internet standards. It's a separate security issue.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Let's see, you store your passwords on an online service in an unencrypted form... blah blah blah

vs.

Storing them in an extremely secure... blah blah blah

:rolleyes: iCloud is encrypted.  iCloud documents are encrypted. 1Password is encrypted.  Everybody is encrypted.  This isn't the unique snowflake feature that some of you think it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Ouch... So I capitulated in my last post and admitted you and I have different workflows. Which one of them is correct? Both - I don't get yours, but it works for you, just as mine works for me. Feel free to (continue to) correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I never insulted you nor asked for you to be so degrading. I'll take my ignorance (and my years of experience) and leave you to either enjoy your superiority, or the insecurity that causes you to insult me; I'm not sure which it is because, I'm afraid, subtle nuances are clearly beyond my grasp.

Or maybe, just maybe it's you who can't understand how anyone could possibly have a different idea than you and yet still have a couple of brain cells knocking about? Hmmm... I'll leave you to ponder that. Either way, I'll just leave you alone. I'd hate to continue embarrassing myself.

Sweet, I accept your capitulation and await significant reparations (I accept Major credit cards/Paypal).  :smokey: