Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 521 of 757
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,528member
    There is no 'well' when it comes to diversity. Either Apple hires the best possible people it can for the jobs, or it doesn't. Diversity is simply a right-on term to appeal to the liberals of today, like you.

You really don't get it.
  • Reply 522 of 757
    crowley wrote: »
    Funny how one person can declare something to be universally acceptable and for it to mean.... well nothing actually.

No, it isn't universally acceptable.  That's why it hasn't been universally accepted.  The flaws in your proclamations are so glaringly obvious it's a wonder you can dress yourself in the morning.

I'm beginning to think that he's speaking tongue in cheek.
  • Reply 523 of 757
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm beginning to think that he's speaking tongue in cheek.

Not too long ago Ben posted that he loves to troll here.  I suspect you're all getting your chain yanked big time.

• Reply 524 of 757
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps he discovered the mathematical definition of harmony, but it hardy predates rhythm. I can imagine African tribes with their dance, drums and melodic vocals existing eons before the Greek philosophers. 

I'm talking about musical theory, and understood and used. Obviously, before it was understood, and used in a repeatable way, rhythm was used. But it's interesting to note that rhythm is used by primitive societies, without harmony. Most primitive cultures have few instruments other than some form of percussion. Occasionally there is something resembling a flute, but with no real mathematical relationships between the notes, just what seems right when the maker build one. Stringed instruments are rare, and usually not very harmonic.
  • Reply 525 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'm talking about musical theory, and understood and used. Obviously, before it was understood, and used in a repeatable way, rhythm was used. But it's interesting to note that rhythm is used by primitive societies, without harmony. Most primitive cultures have few instruments other than some form of percussion. Occasionally there is something resembling a flute, but with no real mathematical relationships between the notes, just what seems right when the maker build one. Stringed instruments are rare, and usually not very harmonic.

The human voice is a very adept musical instrument.

• Reply 526 of 757
    The human voice is a very adept musical instrument.

Of course. But if you listen to some music from other parts of the world, your ears would burn.

But again, I'm talking about someone who was the first (as far as we know, but the evidence from around the world seems to back it up) to understand the relationships mathematically. That's exceedingly important. In other areas, including China, Japan, India and other societies, this understanding came much later, and never fully evolved.

The biggest difference between Western music and the music elsewhere is that elsewhere we have variation but no evolution. So when listening to a piece from India, as an example, Western ears find it difficult, even boring. It's why much music from the Indian subcontinent and Asia have remained the same for centuries. There was no way out of traditional forms.

But really, much of this came later, after the fall of Constantinople. When the scholars fled the fall, and came to Europe it opened up a vast treasure of information and philosophy. That's what got Europe, likely one of the most backwards of the great civilizations, to become the most adventurous, and enlightened. It's what made the Renaissance possible. That changed music to the point where it could evolve. Before that. Nada!
  • Reply 527 of 757
    melgross wrote: »
    What come from Pythagoras?

Sorry I took so long just got back from dinner.

The harmonic scale, which is called the Pythagorean Scale or the musica mundana, which is C, D, E-flat, E, G, A, B-flat, B, D. That's Aristotle's interpretation of his scale for The Music of The Spheres, a Pythagorean concept.

I'm sure as someone involved with Christianity, you're familiar with that, of course.

But the one most people are familiar of his is the other Pythagorean Scale, the musica instrumentalis. This is the scale used for many centuries. He discovered the arithmetic relationships between harmonic intervals. The major and chromatic scales. The major, what we think of as the white keys, and the sharps and flats between them, the black keys, all together are the chromatic scale.

Interesting. Not sure the reason for your snark.

So Pythagorus was the guy who discovered notes' origins. Clever guy. But how deep did he go? Did he know of the natural harmonic series?

The modern scale is a mathematician's dream. The connections that link everything together are astounding, and probably why it came to be the dominant scale.
  • Reply 528 of 757
    Quote:

But again, I'm talking about someone who was the first (as far as we know, but the evidence from around the world seems to back it up) to understand the relationships mathematically. That's exceedingly important. In other areas, including China, Japan, India and other societies, this understanding came much later, and never fully evolved.

The biggest difference between Western music and the music elsewhere is that elsewhere we have variation but no evolution. So when listening to a piece from India, as an example, Western ears find it difficult, even boring. It's why much music from the Indian subcontinent and Asia have remained the same for centuries. There was no way out of traditional forms.

But really, much of this came later, after the fall of Constantinople. When the scholars fled the fall, and came to Europe it opened up a vast treasure of information and philosophy. That's what got Europe, likely one of the most backwards of the great civilizations, to become the most adventurous, and enlightened. It's what made the Renaissance possible. That changed music to the point where it could evolve. Before that. Nada!

Sounds reasonable from a technical perspective. I like my music raw and improvised.

Regarding India, how does the scale of a sitar relate to a diatonic or chromatic scale? Don't they have like 10 notes instead of 7?

• Reply 529 of 757
    Lol. You sound like my brother.
    Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?
  • Reply 530 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    In the interests of not offending people who aren't called Crowley, I shall now call you Forum Member.

That makes no sense. It's like if you called everyone Benjamin Frosties when you're referring to everyone in the thread. We use Holiday Season because it's not a specific religion being referenced, but Christmas tree and menorah because they are specific to Christmas and Hanukkah, respectively. THERE IS NO WAR ON CHRISTMAS!
  • Reply 531 of 757
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

THERE IS NO WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

In terms of seasonal representations thereof, there certainly seems to be opposition.

• Reply 532 of 757
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In terms of seasonal representations thereof, there certainly seems to be opposition.

Sucks there will be no more white christmases and they will be shutting down the north pole due to global warming?

• Reply 533 of 757
    Lol. You sound like my brother.
    Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?
  • Reply 534 of 757
    [@]mstone[/@], that's a personal attack.
  • Reply 535 of 757
    Quote:

@mstone, that's a personal attack.

Ok, if I get another elder with seniority who confers, I'll apploogize. But I think he deserves admonishment after all the BS he has posted.

• Reply 536 of 757
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you want to encourage wusses, sure.

Excuse me?  Men taking an equal share in the parenting OF THEIR OWN CHILDREN makes them "wusses"?  When did you become a troll?  I can't believe you wrote that. LOL

• Reply 537 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

To what end? Once you start walking backwards and giving in to offended people they will continue to push you back. What are you going to do when they say "your complexion offends us?"

"Sorry, but there's nothing I can do about that, and I think that's an unreasonable and intolerant thing to say.  My tolerance of you does not extend to your intolerance of others."

• Reply 538 of 757
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,116member
    Well, after 20 pages of discussion, I can only say one thing: this the most [B]diverse[/B] discussion string I've ever encountered on AI, or anywhere else! Thank you all for your thoughts!
  • Reply 539 of 757
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Is that why people are promoting Holiday Trees and banning (non religious) Christmas songs at schools?

Merry Christmas!
  • Reply 540 of 757
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is that why people are promoting Holiday Trees and banning (non religious) Christmas songs at schools?

Merry Christmas!

So as soon as someone says, "Hey, other children have other religious holidays," it's OK to jump to, "You're attacking my religion!"?