Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Comments

• Reply 61 of 224
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

This is Johnny I've remember; he's shaving millimetres off of desktops when it's completely unnecessary and actually reduces function... Therefore I'm leaning toward the former, even though it'd look really ugly as it does on the Touch. Plus they don't seem to care much about battery life on the 5s, mine's crap.
  • Reply 62 of 224
    Originally Posted by winchester View Post

lol. It's an actual apple patent, genius. As is a 2014 patent for adhering a print-resistant layer to crystalline surfaces.

Your point is what? That if it exists as a patent it is a good or even valid idea?

• Reply 63 of 224
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member

Yep, because as every photographer knows, the BEST thing to be doing to a lens is touching it. With your greasy, disgusting, flesh-worn, secretious, fingerprinted fingers.

Agreed! I burst out laughing when I read the comment about using the camera lens as a button. No way would that happen.
  • Reply 64 of 224
    sog35 wrote: »
    I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone.

Sorry, I hardly know of anyone who uses their phone ON A DESK.   I mean seriously.  ON A DESK!  

I must be one of the 10% who would rather a slightly thicker phone with a better battery, better camera and the ability to put it down without it rocking.

What extra functionality do you gain by having a phone 0.77mm thinner? Would anyone even notice the difference if you put two phones together with 0.77mm difference between them? I think not.
  • Reply 65 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

So it looks like there will be a sub-1mm lens on the iPhone 6. I really hope it'll still lay mostly flat on a surface without a case.

We need to find you a supplier of self-adhesive rubber "feet" that are exactly 0.77mm thick. You could put them in the three corners that don't have a camera and then it would not only be level but wouldn't slip!

Of course they'd come off in your pocket so you'd need a lot of 'em over the years you're likely to own the phone.

Do you use the camera in the phone? If not you could just file or grind down the protrusion!

Maybe one of those no-slip drawer liners laid on your desk surface would hold it steady enough.

• Reply 66 of 224
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    elijahg wrote: »
    This is Johnny I've remember; he's shaving millimetres off of desktops when it's completely unnecessary and actually reduces function

Huh? When did he do that? If you're referring to the removal of the SuperDrive in the iMac, you don't get what Apple, tech and innovation is about. None. Zip. Zilch.
  • Reply 67 of 224
    bobschlob wrote: »
    If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

I'll take the latter.

I always put a paper towel or cloth down underneath it at my desk, either at work or home. This also removed the worry of a little spec of sand on the surface scratching up the back of it.
  • Reply 68 of 224
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I cm is about the width of a fingernail. 0.7 cm is about 70% of the width of a fingernail. Basically, flush.

No need to teach me about cm, I'm from Europe

<< see?

And btw, you've got it wrong. If it protuded 0.7 cm I'd be extremely worried.

• Reply 69 of 224
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone.

Sorry, I hardly know of anyone who uses their phone ON A DESK.   I mean seriously.  ON A DESK!  

I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

• Reply 70 of 224
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

Its no big deal

Monolith glass/metal design was a huge differentiation factor between iPhones and most of the junk out there with parts sticking or popping out.  Now they are about to join the same camp?  And it is not only about design - it is also about usability - it will lay on a surface unevenly. They could just make it flat and put more available volume into the battery.

This is as stupid as it could get.

• Reply 71 of 224
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Because Apple always boasts how great their designs are. They should just increased the entire thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm to remove the hump since its such a "small" value. But then probably couldn't stroke their e-peen about having a thinner phone than everyone else.

Not to mention it would allow for a slightly larger battery as well.  They don't have to increase the battery size if weight is a more important factor.  

The bump- even though I dont mind it on the iPod Touch 5- isn't ideal for design.

• Reply 72 of 224
    elijahg wrote: »
    This is Johnny I've remember; he's shaving millimetres off of desktops when it's completely unnecessary and actually reduces function... Therefore I'm leaning toward the former, even though it'd look really ugly as it does on the Touch. Plus they don't seem to care much about battery life on the 5s, mine's crap.

I love his designs, making the devices as thin as possible. It is simply a work of art (and shows the future of what computing devices will look like).
  • Reply 73 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

Don't buy it. Easy. I and millions of others will buy it.

I don't intend on buying it, I'm perfectly content with my non-rocking iPhone 5S, thank you.

Now, that won't stop me from talking about it. Oh I know, how dare I !

Saying "don't buy it" to people who criticize isn't argument, it's just lame.

• Reply 74 of 224
    philboogie wrote: »
    Huh? When did he do that? If you're referring to the removal of the SuperDrive in the iMac, you don't get what Apple, tech and innovation is about. None. Zip. Zilch.

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.
  • Reply 75 of 224
    Quote:

You do know that the 5S volume buttons also protrude?

And why in the world do they protrude?

Oh yes, it's because THEY ARE FREAKING BUTTONS !

Also, they are not on the back.

• Reply 76 of 224
    irun262 wrote: »
    I love his designs, making the devices as thin as possible. It is simply a work of art (and shows the future of what computing devices will look like).

I like the designs too, but I think he's a bit OCD over thinness. The top complaint about iPhones is battery life, which could be fixed in one fell swoop by making it a mm or two thicker and having a decent sized battery. When's the last time you heard anyone complain that the iPhone is too fat?
  • Reply 77 of 224
    sog35 wrote: »

if you don't believe now then you don't believe we landed on the Moon.

Why? Because Foxconn leaked screenshots of the Moon landing too?
  • Reply 78 of 224
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I don't intend on buying it, I'm perfectly content with my non-rocking iPhone 5S, thank you.

Now, that won't stop me from talking about it. Oh I know, how dare I !

Saying "don't buy it" to people who criticize isn't argument, it's just lame.

That's fine and you certainly have that right. I will not disagree with you there. Although, I find that people who complain and/or criticize about a product they have no intention of buying is pretty lame. Just my opinion.

• Reply 79 of 224
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

And why in the world do they protrude?

Oh yes, it's because THEY ARE FREAKING BUTTONS !

Also, they are not on the back.

Clemy- go grab a shoe from your closet.  Now hold that shoe up to face level.  Now yell into it.  That's about the equivalent of arguing with sog35.

• Reply 80 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

Also, there's a little problem with his phrase :

"I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone."

I think that 90% of people would rather have a phone that's 0.07mm fatter than this one and still thinner than the current 5S AND with a better camera AND no protruding lens AND maybe a better battery.