Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Comments

• Reply 81 of 224
    krawall wrote: »
    As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.

Full disclosure: AI is paid by Google to post this stuff. Literally paid by Google (in ad revenue).
  • Reply 82 of 224
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    mstone wrote: »
    I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

I strongly think many people will indeed notice the difference. They will pick it up for the first time and say "Wow! It is thinner!" This will improve the user experience which is what Apple is all about. I think it will sell phones. Apple's new iPhone will stand out compared to the others.
  • Reply 83 of 224
    Why would some factory worker risk getting caught to "leak" photos of screenshots? Unless there's money involved. In which case, it's industrial espionage.
  • Reply 84 of 224
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Clemy- go grab a shoe from your closet.  Now hold that shoe up to face level.  Now yell into it.  That's about the equivalent of arguing with sog35.

That hurt !

• Reply 85 of 224
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Also, there's a little problem with his phrase :

"I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone."

I think that 90% of people would rather have a phone that's 0.07mm fatter than this one and still thinner than the current 5S AND with a better camera AND no protruding lens AND maybe a better battery.

You nailed it.

• Reply 86 of 224
    elijahg wrote: »
    Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

I think it is. It makes the devices thinner and weigh less. I have no desire to upgrade anything. Most people (not on this site) don't care either about upgrading RAM.
  • Reply 87 of 224
    I like the designs too, but I think he's a bit OCD over thinness. The top complaint about iPhones is battery life, which could be fixed in one fell swoop by making it a mm or two thicker and having a decent sized battery. When's the last time you heard anyone complain that the iPhone is too fat?

My current one will be as soon as I hold my new iPhone 6 in my hand.
  • Reply 88 of 224
    Why would some factory worker risk getting caught to "leak" photos of screenshots? Unless there's money involved. In which case, it's industrial espionage.

Agreed. I find some of the leaks stunning.

I wonder if any fake ones are planted (by Apple) just to create confusion such that real leaks are seen as being less certain.
  • Reply 89 of 224
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    irun262 wrote: »
    I think it is. It makes the devices thinner and weigh less. I have no desire to upgrade anything. Most people (not on this site) don't care either about upgrading RAM.

So throw it away and get a new one? How eco-friendly, which is what Apple's supposedly all about. Who cares if a desktop is a few grams lighter or a couple mm thicker because it doesn't have a RAM access door? No one.

irun262 wrote: »
    My current one will be as soon as I hold my new iPhone 6 in my hand.

You just said you have no desire to upgrade anything, so iPhone 6 is not allowed, sorry ;P
  • Reply 90 of 224
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode.

Have you disabled Notifications on the Mac? I did, by taking everything out of NC and setting it to not disturb me from 22:00 till 21:59 (no option of disabling it) but the freaking thing still tells me there are software updates, batteries low on Trackpad et cetera. I'm annoyed by them because I use Aperture in full screen mode and don't want NC to nag me.

/rant

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

Erhm, where on the product page of that Mac did they mention that one would be able to upgrade the RAM? Nowhere, so you bought the wrong model. What's next, moan about the disappearance of the HDD in the nMP? How about an iPhone with swappable HDD, battery and RAM¿ Or no LOM on a Shuffle...
  • Reply 91 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

Witness the iMac and reconsider your position.

• Reply 92 of 224
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

people... the protruding nib (lens) only matters if you are not using a case. If you put a case on the phone, the lens will only benefit from protrusion as it will handle light better then it otherwise would if it was deeper in a "hole". (as one positive use case)

• Reply 93 of 224
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    We need to find you a supplier of self-adhesive rubber "feet" that are exactly 0.77mm thick. You could put them in the three corners that don't have a camera and then it would not only be level but wouldn't slip!

Of course they'd come off in your pocket so you'd need a lot of 'em over the years you're likely to own the phone.

Do you use the camera in the phone? If not you could just file or grind down the protrusion!

Maybe one of those no-slip drawer liners laid on your desk surface would hold it steady enough.

Congrats on twisting what I said. Feel better?

I said as long as it has the quality optics that the iPhone always does, I'll get used to it. You didn't quote that part because you needed to feel better about yourself. Glad I could help.
  • Reply 94 of 224
    So throw it away and get a new one? How eco-friendly, which is what Apple's supposedly all about. Who cares if a desktop is a few grams lighter or a couple mm thicker because it doesn't have a RAM access door? No one.
    You just said you have no desire to upgrade anything, so iPhone 6 is not allowed, sorry ;P

You don't throw it away, you resell it. Apple products have great resale value (and they last long enough to be resold while my wife's Samsung computer(s) are purchased because the old one failed...and thrown away). And they are thicker. :)
  • Reply 95 of 224
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Have you disabled Notifications on the Mac? 

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

killall NotificationCenter

But I don't use Mail app on OS X. I get my email in the browser.

• Reply 96 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

I strongly think many people will indeed notice the difference. They will pick it up for the first time and say "Wow! It is thinner!" This will improve the user experience which is what Apple is all about. I think it will sell phones. Apple's new iPhone will stand out compared to the others.

You're right, but not the way you think you are.

I don't believe for .77 seconds that reducing the thickness of the phone by .77mm will improve the user experience in any meaningful way. In fact, I think having a little "button" on the back to catch on things and make it wobble when laid flat will actually have a very slight negative effect on the user experience.

I *DO* agree that it will increase the "curb appeal" and thus will sell more phones. That's not the same as actually improving the experience of owning one though.

• Reply 97 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

Most people (not on this site) don't care either about upgrading RAM.

Probably true, but they DO often want to access the storage device, either to increase storage capacity as it becomes available and affordable and/or to replace a failing drive.

Even if we assume that only a minority will ever need to open their computer, why impose a limitation at all? What is the benefit of making a DESKTOP computer thinner?

• Reply 98 of 224
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

killall NotificationCenter

But I don't use Mail app on OS X. I get my email in the browser.

BIG thanks for that one. No more low battery warnings, while I have a spare set laying in the drawer.
  • Reply 99 of 224
    Purportedly I no longer care, Purportedly.
  • Reply 100 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Congrats on twisting what I said. Feel better?

Whoa, wait... I'm not mocking you or being sarcastic! I was trying to make light of an annoying development (do "light" and "development" count as puns in the context of discussing a camera lens or is that too much of a stretch?). Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Please forgive the weakness of my humor. As I've said before, I try hard but I'm just not that bright! :)

Are we good?