Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Comments

• Reply 121 of 224
    This [B]rumored[/B] official promo shot should hopefully calm the seas of the [B]rumor[/B] this thread describes

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47469/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

And if this promo shot is in fact the iPhone 6 I can't wait to preorder the gold one.
  • Reply 122 of 224
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    sog35 wrote: »
    making such a big deal about such a small thing.

The camera bump did not hurt the Samdung S5.
    It wont hurt the iPhone6

Are you taking more bets? I'll bet whatever you want that there is no extruding camera - unless of course it automatically retracts so that the phone can still lie completely flat - which is very unlikely! If they were going to add a moving part, it would be great to have an optical zoom - but I think the chances of them adding a moving part are very close to zero, and the chances of them releasing the iPhone 6 with a permanently extruding camera is exactly zero!
  • Reply 123 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

I strongly think many people will indeed notice the difference. They will pick it up for the first time and say "Wow! It is thinner!" This will improve the user experience which is what Apple is all about. I think it will sell phones.

Yes, and the second thing they'll say is "What's this?"

I'm tellin' ya, that 0.77mm protruding lens will stand out like a red dot on a white cashmere sweater.

• Reply 124 of 224
    I don't think these are legit since the overall design still looks too ugly. If it DOES come out like that, Apple should ditch Jony and hire Marc Newson.
  • Reply 125 of 224
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The difference with you and me is I don't like the 5.5 but I can see beyond my personal opinions and can see the massive opportunity the 5.5 is.

Opportunity to what, fail spectacularly? Sell to imbeciles?

The actual difference between us is that when we see a bad idea, I don’t think that Apple needs to waste time, money, and blow their history of quality by making a garbage product just to prove it to people too dumb to get it already.

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

This rumored official promo shot should hopefully calm the seas of the rumor this thread describes

No, it’s just a photoshopped version of the existing product imagery, which Apple has never reused across product lines.

• Reply 126 of 224
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This rumored official promo shot should hopefully calm the seas of the rumor this thread describes

And if this promo shot is in fact the iPhone 6 I can't wait to preorder the gold one.
    It's not real. It's a render posted to Behance based on a rumor from back in June that those antenna bands were just placeholders and wouldn't be in the final design.
  • Reply 127 of 224
    natesfnatesf Posts: 13member
    It's interesting when you go back to the very first leaks on the iPhone 6 -- which date back nearly a year ago -- what we read indicated their would be a strong resemblance to the current iPod touch. So... (protruding ring and all) whoever leaked that info early on had a pretty good inside track on where they were heading. Which means this same person or persons probably has a good idea about next year's revision to the iPhone 6 -- which of course means its time to start talking about that already.
  • Reply 128 of 224
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like the idea of a 5.5" iPhone and will buy one if it becomes available, thus your comment about selling to imbeciles is a direct insult to me, and my response rhymes with "Duck you."

You really can be an asshole sometimes, you know that?

• Reply 129 of 224
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    createrio wrote: »
    I don't think these are legit since the overall design still looks too ugly. If it DOES come out like that, Apple should ditch Jony and hire Marc Newson.
    Marc Newson?!? Why?!?
  • Reply 130 of 224
    elijahg wrote: »
    So should I sell it and go buy another? If it was upgradable I wouldn't have to buy another. Upgrading wouldn't require a whole new machine to be made if Apple's thinness OCD was toned down a notch. Buying anything newly manufactured will lays be less eco-friendly than just upgrading a component or two.

Among other things you can sell it, give it away, recycle it. Apple never said to throw it away, and they've made the phone highly recyclable when it reaches the end of its useful life. I am just addressing the false dilemma you presented to support your questioning of Apple's eco-friendliness. My point is that you, the smartphone owner, have a responsibility to be eco-friendly by choosing not to throw it away. Apple did its job in making it recyclable. What you do with it at the end of its life is yours.
  • Reply 131 of 224
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

I like the idea of a 5.5 iPhone and will buy one if it becomes available, thus your comment about selling to imbeciles is a direct insult to me...

No, it’s indirect.

So people who buy large phones are imbeciles.

What would you call someone who bought a product designed to be too large to use as the product it is? Nice strawman, though.

• Reply 132 of 224
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

a product designed to be too large to use as the product it is

lol.

Product lines and usages aren't as black and white as you want them to be.

• Reply 133 of 224
    Jeeminy Priest, are you guys still on this?!! Are you not looking at the picture? Can't you see the narrow strips at the top and the bottom that are recessed below the main body of the back? Probably by the same .77mm? It's not going to rock! Settle down!

I don't know whether the lens protrudes from that strip because they couldn't reduce the thickness of the camera without sacrificing optical performance, or because the main part of the back would hulk into its field of view like a mountain. I suspect the latter. In either case, it's not going to be higher than the flat part of the back.

Plus, maybe that recess is covered with something, who knows? This is just the metal part. Maybe the whole back will be flat, with the lens flush, and these strips are filled with plastic or something.
  • Reply 134 of 224
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What would you call someone who bought a product designed to be too large to use as the product it is? Nice strawman, though.

Where is it written that a phone has to be used with one hand only? If that's your opinion then you're within your rights, but smartphones are not necessarily one size fits all.
  • Reply 135 of 224
    herbapou wrote: »
    elijahg wrote: »
    Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

This is one of the reason I bought the 27", ram is accessible.

He doesn't know that the RAM on the 27" iMac is accessible. He's never used, or maybe even seen, an iMac in his life. It's just one of the scripted criticisms in his troll manual. "When is Apple going to give us a two-button mouse, anyway!"
  • Reply 136 of 224

Although I agree the protruding camera might spoil the whole design(We'll see for sure when it is announced officially) but the only reason I can think of Apple going after thinner body is weight. 

Currently iPhone 5S weight is 112gms and I'm pretty confident they want to keep it same. There was a nice surprise for people when they reduced the weight of the iPhone 4S(140gms) to iPhone 5(112gms). So I don't think they'd increase the weight.

Look at this way if they are going to increase the dimension the weight 'd obviously increase. The only way to keep the weight at same level 'd be to make it thinner.

• Reply 137 of 224

And when you use it, its size increases privacy (blocks part of your face).

That got a snort. I like that a lot.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Where is it written that a phone has to be used with one hand only?

As every phone before Android in the last 140 years has been usable–as designed–with one hand, well...

• Reply 138 of 224
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The smallest one is designated N51, presumably meaning the iPhone 5. The middle one is labelled N61, whihc one might guess means iPhone 6. So what do we make of the biggest one being labelled N56? Half-way between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 6?

It makes me wonder if there may actually be the much-feared and detested feature differentiation between models, but favoring the 4.7" version, NOT the 5.5.

Good catch.
  • Reply 139 of 224
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I recall a few years back Apple was advertising about having a 5 micron tolerance to the fit of the iPhone parts, or something like that. Jony Ive made a video mentioning it, I think.  They produce multiple sizes of one part, so they can match it to the variations in machining of another part.  Within 5 microns.  

Nope, that doesn't sound like a company that would let a camera lens protrude by 770 microns--150 times it's standard tolerance!

And they make photos of each to find the matching parts, out of 725 parts

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 140 of 224
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Quote:

What is a spectacular failure?  If there is a market of even just 1,000,000 users who have chosen to purchase an Android phone instead of an iPhone because of size alone, then that would be an extra 1,000,000 sales for Apple this year if the 5.5" model turns out to be real.  Would that be a spectacular failure?  Would it be a failure at all?  How many units do they have to sell for it to not be a failure?  Plus - according to your own speculation - we don't just have the market of people who want a large phone for valid reasons - apparently you're suggesting that we'll also capture the imbecile market!  So that's awesome!  How many imbeciles are there in the market for a new Smartphone?  Selling to them alone would probably be enough to keep this from being a failure!  If the imbeciles are a slam-dunk, what does Apple need to change about it to attract the idiots and the morons too?

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post>

I don’t think that Apple needs to waste time, money, and blow their history of quality by making a garbage product just to prove it to people too dumb to get it already.

What makes you think that a large phone won't be a quality device?  The iPads are quality devices and they are larger - so size alone can't be directly related to quality.  It kind of amazes me that you know for certain that an unannounced product that you claim does not exist is not a quality product.  LOL   Do you see how silly that logic is?

I haven't read all the comments on this thread that led up to this one - but why is a big phone a bad idea in your mind?  I take most of my calls on a blue tooth headset.  Currently I travel with an iPad mini and an iPhone 5s.  On a lot of occasions, I would find it far more more convenient to travel with a single device instead of those 2 and a 5.5" model seems like a great fit!  I know everyone is not going to have the same use case I have, but I'm damn sure that there will be enough people that have their own (valid) reasons for wanting a bigger one!

Anyhow - if they don't end up releasing a 5.5" model, I'm going to take full advantage of the new iOS 8 handoff/continuity features.  I can leave my iPhone in my pocket 100% of the time and use my iPad mini to make calls via the iPhone!  Sure - it's 2 devices instead of one - but it's better than being limited to a tiny little 4.7" screen.   :)