Apple's wearable 'iWatch' not expected to ship until early 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wasn't it Re/code insisting just several days ago that both the iPhone and a wearable WOULD be revealed on the 9th?

Revealed, yes but that doesn't necessarily mean going on sale soon, with the exception probably being the 4.7" iPhone

• Reply 22 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    Wasn't it Re/code insisting just several days ago that both the iPhone and a wearable WOULD be revealed on the 9th?

That's been the general word for some time now. Maybe not the 9th specifically but perhaps announcing it early with no actual product available until very late 2014 or early 2015. FWIW Kuo has been saying as much for quite awhile, with Paczkowski now joining him.
  • Reply 23 of 135

They are still saying the same thing. It will be revealed. Why anyone would think apple would release a device that depends on apps a week after it's revealed is beyond me. Let developers have fun with it, this isn't a windows phone after all
  • Reply 24 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So Apple's getting in the game of vaporwear? It seems odd that they would announce something in the fall but not have it available to ship for the holidays. If it's not ready why announce it now? Unless Apple is that worried about it leaking? Or are they getting in the business of showing off prototypes so Cook can say to Wall Street "see we are innovating"? I'd love to call this rumor bunk, but the source is usually very accurate.

Besides time for regulatory approvals, the interim would allow developers time to create or modify apps for the new device.

• Reply 25 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess they could be announcing it early to give developers lead time for apps and to prevent FCC leaks? I just hope if they do announce something there really is something to show and even demo; not vaporware.

It kind of makes me wonder though if this device really isn't ready for primetime. Otherwise wouldn't it have made more sense to announce it at WWDC (where the developers are) with availability for sale this holiday season?
  • Reply 26 of 135
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I agree, but ... people are waiting anyway.  Basically the current market for smart watches is currently non-existent, so I find it unlikely that Apple will demo a non-quite-ready watch on the 9th.  If the rumor of not being ready to ship them until next year is correct, Apple is at least likely to demo a feature-complete, ready-to-be-mass-produced prototype.  Right?  There is no way Apple is going to just going to waive their hands around and announced "we've just about finished the long awaited watch, here's what it will do!" so that everyone else can copy it before it's even on the market.

I think it'll have similar features as what the other smart watches claim now.  But just like everything Apple does- it will be easier and do it better.  We're 7 years into iPhones and the others still can't get it right.  I'm not worried about them copying- it'll be more like "Ours already does all that"- but no one will buy the others.

• Reply 27 of 135
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

So Apple's getting in the game of vaporwear? It seems odd that they would announce something in the fall but not have it available to ship for the holidays. If it's not ready why announce it now? Unless Apple is that worried about it leaking? Or are they getting in the business of showing off prototypes so Cook can say to Wall Street "see we are innovating"? I'd love to call this rumor bunk, but the source is usually very accurate.

I think it's a chicken/egg thing. Parts will leak soon as production begins and Apple is managing expectations. Would be surprised if it doesn't ship by Thanksgiving. 

• Reply 28 of 135

So Apple's getting in the game of vaporwear?

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

...wouldnt that be the vaporware...

Neither of you knows what vaporware is.

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

t's different in the sense that the iPhone was a completely new device category.

So is the watch. It’s exactly the same.

Are they going to have a functioning device(es) for people at the event to try out?

It’s Apple. There are always demo models.

But yesterday people here were calling LG's new watch vaporware even though it apparently will be shipping before Apple's wearable device does.

As long as the thing ships expediently, they were wrong.

• Reply 29 of 135
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The might have to do this to get developer buy in. In particular this kind of functionality will need devs, and therefore I believe there will be a limited release to people who are devs.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    Doubt it. They aren't showing it if won't be on sale for the XMAS shopping season. No way.
  • Reply 31 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I am so tired of seeing that same mannequin hand illustration.

Your words are our voice.

• Reply 32 of 135
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Why are the delusions of a madman (aka, analysts) considered breaking? You know what's breaking? Appleinsider's journalistic integrity.

• Reply 33 of 135
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator

Here's an idea.  Introduce it at the Sept 9th event.  Tell the world the approximate date it will ship.  Tell the world that Apple will preview it in stores for a two, or maybe three, week period beginning on the date the new iPhones go on sale in Apple stores.  Tell the world that those who purchase a new iPhone (any new iPhone) at an Apple store will be able to make a pre-order reservation for the iWatch.  Having it in stores for a limited-time preview will draw more people into Apple stores for their iPhone upgrade, providing an opportunity for Apple to sell more iPhone accessories and AppleCare warranties and to cross-sell more other Apple products versus having more people go to their carrier for an upgrade.  Offering iPhone buyers the ability to reserve a pre-order spot would allow Apple to refine their estimates of demand which would allow them to adjust the actual release date to ensure adequate supplies on hand to meet that demand.  Just dreaming...

• Reply 34 of 135
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Neither of you knows what vaporware is.

My response, as you referenced in your final retort, was in reference to those that were calling the Moto 360 and G Watch R vaporware hence my air quotes. I clearly know what vaporware is, but people here tend to criticize other companies for a certain practice, then give Apple a pass for doing the exact same thing.
  • Reply 35 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My response, as you referenced in your final retort, was in reference to those that were calling the Moto 360 and G Watch R vaporware hence my air quotes. I clearly know what vaporware is, but people here tend to criticize other companies for a certain practice, then give Apple a pass for doing the exact same thing.

Because those other companies are known for and prone to it. Apple isn't.

• Reply 36 of 135
    The reason why they're announcing this early is to give developers a few months head start on doing apps. They'll probably release the SDK on the 9th along with the iWatch announcement. Same thing was done with the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Would be surprised if it doesn't ship by Thanksgiving.

So, shipping by Monday, October 13 then?

• Reply 38 of 135
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by distantsuns View Post

The reason why they're announcing this early is to give developers a few months head start on doing apps. They'll probably release the SDK on the 9th along with the iWatch announcement. Same thing was done with the iPad.

Succinctly said.

• Reply 39 of 135
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Because those other companies are known for and prone to it. Apple isn't.

What vaporware has Motorola or LG recently shown?
  • Reply 40 of 135

BREAKING: No one freaking knows!