Apple's secret iPhone 6 digital payment system said to also include Visa & MasterCard

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Hot on the heels of a report that Apple has inked a deal with American Express, a second report has stated that the company has also signed deals with Visa and MasterCard.

Touch ID


Re/code initially reported that Apple is poised to unveil a digital payment system for iPhone 6 on September 9, allowing users to make secure purchases via their phone.

Later this afternoon, Matt Townsend of Bloomberg reported that deal are also in place with Visa and MasterCard. Neither Apple nor either of the two credit card vendors offered to comment on the issue.

An AppleInsider reader had earlier commented that MasterCard would be an initial partner, stating that "Mr. Gary Flood, MasterCard's President of Global Products and Solutions, as well as Ed MaLaughlin [the firm's chief emerging payments officer] will both probably be attending the event" Apple has scheduled in Cupertino early next month.

The initial Re/code report had stated that AmEx was "one of several partners" that Apple will need to sign up, but didn't indicate who else might be involved.

Apple has filed for patents that describe mobile payment systems utilizing NFC [Near Field Communications] technology. But to date, the company has relied on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for short-range wireless functions, most notably with the company's proprietary combination of the two, dubbed iBeacon.

Rumors of NFC functionality in a future iPhone have persisted for years, and seem to appear leading up to just about every new handset launch. And though there have been a multitude of NFC-capable smartphones on the market for years, has never been an Apple product with NFC functionality.

One rumor that surfaced this summer claimed that Apple was accelerating work on a mobile payments system that could be ready by this fall, launching as part of the "iPhone 6." That report claimed that Apple was in talks with partner companies, including Visa, in an effort to debut its own e-wallet platform.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 146
    The lack of grammer editing is painful.
  • Reply 2 of 146
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    In this day and age where everything is 24/7 I cannot believe how slow this site is on reporting on these Apple topics. [S]Some[/S] Many will consider this as 'old news'.
  • Reply 3 of 146
    I remember the days 3 years ago this was predicted on the then expected iPhone 5(now 4S), they all said it was needed to compete the still failing google equivalent. As so I would expect any company with an iPhone app already to chip into this NFC card idea.
  • Reply 4 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member

    Here's some breaking news about Apple.

     

    On the front page of Drudge:

     

     

  • Reply 5 of 146
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

    Here's some breaking news about Apple.

     

    On the front page of Drudge:

     

     





    So’d they hack Apple or hack the accounts of people too airheaded to use anything other than 12345?

  • Reply 6 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    So’d they hack Apple or hack the accounts of people too airheaded to use anything other than 12345?


     

    I don't know the details, though it's probably the dumb celebs who use idiotic and easy to guess passwords I'm assuming.

     

    However, as we see, it is being reported as if somehow Apple got hacked.

  • Reply 7 of 146

    I know there are people bringing up the point that NFC in the iPhone 6 would make the mobile payment game exclusive to the new hardware, but the "iWatch" has been rumored to include NFC also. While its true then that the iPhone 6 could be used as a standalone device to make payments, what if the "iWatch" does indeed include NFC, and they also fitted in the Touch ID sensor under the screen as seen in previous patents. I could see it working as the "iWatch" wouldn't need a physical home button, and Touch ID isn't tied to a hardware button. It would simply be turned on and brought up on the screen to ID the user once a tap to pay event is started. Then this whole mobile payment initiative wouldn't be exclusive to only the iPhone 6. 

     

    Here is a link to the Touch ID patent. http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/25/apples-plans-to-enhance-touch-id-with-trackpad-capabilities-and-display-integration-revealed/

  • Reply 8 of 146
    Visa, MasterCard, and Amex do seem like basic prerequisites, so this is unsurprising news. I honestly expect we will see Discover in that mix as well.

    Apple is the proverbial 10,000 lb gorilla - if Apple indeed does roll out a payment system, it would be unwise for any of the major providers to decline such a partnership.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I don't know the details, though it's probably the dumb celebs who use idiotic and easy to guess passwords I'm assuming.

    However, as we see, it is being reported as if somehow Apple got hacked.

    Or completely fake since Victoria Justice says the photos aren't really her.
  • Reply 11 of 146
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,360member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Or completely fake since Victoria Justice says the photos aren't really her.

     

    I admit that I don't follow celebs much, and I've never heard of that person before.

     

    But I read that many other celebs have said that the photos of them were real. There's a list of about 100 celebs.

     

    I don't really give a crap about celebs or celebs getting hacked at all. I do care about Apple getting bad publicity, if it had nothing to do with them.

  • Reply 12 of 146
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I admit that I don't follow celebs much, and I've never heard of that person before.

    But I read that many other celebs have said that the photos of them were real. There's a list of about 100 celebs.

    I don't really give a crap about celebs or celebs getting hacked at all. I do care about Apple getting bad publicity, if it had nothing to do with them.

    If we're talking about 100 celebrities and it's an actual hack of Apple's iCloud servers then it's likely there is a whole lot more user's information that was also stolen. If not, then it's most likely directed hacks targeting week security.
  • Reply 13 of 146
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If we're talking about 100 celebrities and it's an actual hack of Apple's iCloud servers then it's likely there is a whole lot more user's information that was also stolen. If not, then it's most likely directed hacks targeting week security.

    One celeb after the other say the pics are fake. If true; nothing hacked. If false; possible hack, but I don't think 'iCloud' was hacked. I can't imagine Apple would storing 'everything' on a 'single' server.

    If you search for iCloud hack you'll get a gazillion hits. Year after year.
  • Reply 14 of 146
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,562member
    philboogie wrote: »
    One celeb after the other say the pics are fake. If true; nothing hacked. If false; possible hack, but I don't think 'iCloud' was hacked. I can't imagine Apple would storing 'everything' on a 'single' server.

    If you search for iCloud hack you'll get a gazillion hits. Year after year.

    The Jennifer Lawrence pics are definitely real (and glorious), and she's the highest profile star on the list so far. Her reps have confirmed:

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/08/31/nude-photo-leak-jennifer-lawrence-ariana-grande-kate-upton/14915163/
  • Reply 15 of 146
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    The Jennifer Lawrence pics are definitely real (and glorious), and she's the highest profile star on the list so far. Her reps have confirmed:

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/08/31/nude-photo-leak-jennifer-lawrence-ariana-grande-kate-upton/14915163/

    10 points for an informative post, minus one point for not posting the pictures.
  • Reply 16 of 146
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,562member
    philboogie wrote: »
    10 points for an informative post, minus one point for not posting the pictures.
    Check your PM :)
  • Reply 17 of 146
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Check your PM :)

    You're kiddin' me!

    {checks PM}

    Nope, not kidding. Ok, so, these look more like, well, I'm repulsed, no, revolted, no, can't find the word. But it feels like voyeurism, and I don't like that. Thanks though.
  • Reply 18 of 146
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

    1) Yes, the Jennifer Lawrence pics are real.  And apparently the Mary Elizabeth Winstead ones are too, judging by her response.

     

    2) As hot as I find J-Law, I have no interest in seeing these pics, and taking part in a crime.  Her privacy and beyond, and that of anyone else who was legitimately hacked, was violated and the people who did it are pond scum.  I really hope that J-Law uses some of her extensive (~$40M at last count) resources to hunt this disgusting sleaze down, and have the law smacked down on him like a house on a witch in the Wizard of Oz.

     

    3) And before anyone starts attacking me for being some over-moralistic do-gooder, believe me: I love porn.  But the difference there is when someone like Jayden James or Alexis Texas makes a movie, it's her choice.  This, on the other hand, was more or less an assault.

  • Reply 19 of 146
    1) In 2012 a hacker was sentenced to 10 years in jail after posting nude photos of Scarlett Johannson and Mila Kunis and hacking a number of celebrity email accounts for more than a year.

    [LIST]
    [*] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165249/Computer-hacker-leaked-nude-photos-Scarlett-Johansson-ordered-pay-actress-66-000-troubles-sentenced-years-prison.html
    [/LIST]

    2) Call me a hypocrite but I've looked at the photos gleefully but hope the bastard that stole them goes away for many years.

    [LIST]
    [*] http://www.reddit.com/r/TheFappening/comments/2f44n0/new_celeb_leaked_pics_all_in_one_place/
    [/LIST]

    3) Why do celebrities take these in the first place? Do we need to create an entire semester class for middle school students to not take questionable photos or say things that could hurt them in the future? Seems like it’s more important than sexual education or home economics at this point. NOTHING EVER GOES AWAY!

    4)
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/47898/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 20 of 146
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    3) Why do celebrities take these in the first place? Do we need to create an entire semester class for middle school students to not take questionable photos or say things that could hurt them in the future? Seems like it’s more important than sexual education or home economics at this point. NOTHING EVER GOES AWAY!

     

    All sorts of people, not just celebrities, do these sorts of things as I'm sure you know.  And AFAIK, kids ARE already often told not to do these sorts of things.  But then again, we all do stupid stuff -- when we're told not to.  

Sign In or Register to comment.