Jony Ive reportedly says 'iWatch' will be trouble for Switzerland

Comments

• Reply 41 of 243
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I've been saying all along, for a successful iWatch, Apple has to approach the market the way a high fashion house would. And the hires --Deneve, Ahrendts, and the guy from Tag Heuer, among others, give very very strong indications that Apple is doing exactly that. It's going to be Swatch kicked at least two notches upmarket. The retail pitch will be different from anything we've ever seen before from Apple. It's going to be high glamour, high style and high tech. There will be far more models than Apple has ever made before and more frequent new model introductions. The goal is to sell more than one watch to a customer; have them collect different models so they have a watch to suit whatever mood they're feeling or outfit they're wearing that day: sporty, casual, elegant, you name it.

Oh, and that land barge they're building at the 9/9 venue? Think IKEA show floor but the stuff they're demoing is a far cry from Scandinavian disposable chic. I'm talking Homekit, Healthkit, iBeacons, Carplay amd iWatch, or whatever they call it deployed in simulated settings --at home, at work, on the road, out running, etc. And I wouldn't rule out live models if Apple has enough iWatch pre-production models in hand.
  • Reply 42 of 243
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hard to believe something said by Ive would actually get leaked.

However, it makes for a good news story. The Swiss are quite stubborn (and arrogant) when it comes to watches. So much so they stood by and watched as Asian manufacturers embraced quartz while they stood by their time-tested mechanical watch industry.

The quote sort of implies that Apple is going to do a repeat of the Asians in terms of taking a huge bite out of Swiss watch producers.

That which can be called stubbornness and arrogance is actually the art of making fine mechanisms taken to the highest degree on Earth. It shouldn't be allowed to disappear completely, because those are centuries-old unbroken knowledge traditions, not to mention machinery installations perfected over generations.

If Jony Ive said something like this, which I doubt, he would have been joking, because he knows about traditions like these, as do all Englishmen. But nobody does it like the Germanic and Celtic central Europeans. You have to include the Bavarians and Bohemians in this group.
  • Reply 43 of 243
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    sflocal wrote: »

I flat-out do not believe someone on Ive's team would disclose something like that.  If so, I hope that guy is fired on the spot.

Unless it comes out of Ive's mouth directly, I say BS.

Unless it's a strategic leak.
  • Reply 44 of 243

What if it's the watch that has the NFC chip, and uses BT to communicate with the iPhone6 enclave?

• Reply 45 of 243
    rogifan wrote: »
    So is this Apple PR saying "Jony help us out here we're getting killed by celebrity photo hack"? If it's a deliberate leak I'm not so sure it's a good idea as it only intensifies the hype machine and really puts pressure on Apple to deliver the goods.

Worry, thy name is Rogifan.
  • Reply 46 of 243

C'mon, Relic... wake up and chime in!  This thread has your name on it.  :)

• Reply 47 of 243
    I highly doubt Ives or anyone on his team would leak such info. This article is nothing but click-bait to generate ad revenue. Nice try.
  • Reply 48 of 243
    Who needs watches for time anyway? Rich people have watches as jewelry to show of their wealth and taste and on that level the Swiss will have nothing to fear, certainly not from a high tech product like an iwatch.
  • Reply 49 of 243

slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah see, the thing is, noone fucking asked you. Quite pathetic how you feel the need to inject your vitriolic brand of politics and xenophobia into absolutely everything. Do us a favor and keep that useless vomit to yourself.
    Typical chauvinistic hogwash from a retarded person who does not now much about the world in general nor Switzerland in particular.
  • Reply 50 of 243
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    C'mon, Relic... wake up and chime in!  This thread has your name on it.  :)

I hope she's okay. She hasn't posted for five days.
  • Reply 51 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

iKeiretsu

If I wanted to build a new product in complete secrecy, in a country with an existing high technology manufacturing industry and workforce, and if that product was so compact in size that most assembly tasks needed to be performed by machine, where would I look for manufacturing and even parts sourcing?

For secrecy, I'd look to a country with a monoculture that holds honor in high regard.  Where every worker, down to the lowest paid, takes seriously his total commitment to the company and the quality of the product being produced.

For technology manufacturing expertise and automation, I'd look to a country where automated manufacturing is at its pinnicle.

For bespoke and miniaturized components that need to be designed from whole cloth, I might look to the companies and industry of a country with a long history of high tech manufacturing.

What country has all of the above attributes?  Japan. 

iWatch. Designed in California.  Made in Japan.

Hmm... Almost sounds plausible.

I do hope you are right. In my book, electronics made in Japan are usually the highest of quality.

'iWatch. Designed in California.  Made in Japan.' has a nice ring to it.

• Reply 52 of 243
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Which is only a problem if they don't have the goods already on hand to deliver in six days.  I sure hope they do.
    I hope they have the goods too.
  • Reply 53 of 243
    krawall wrote: »
    I was wondering about this a while ago. I think the watch industry as we know it now, (the luxury one) is doomed, certainly. But is it because of the iwatch, not so sure.

As some have mentioned watches are a personal thing. As long as smart watches don't get that involved that you NEED to replace that thing on your wrist, many people won't.

I'm a watch enthusiast myself and I think for me it takes a pretty strong reason to use a smart watch.

- battery life
    - functionality
    - ruggedness
    - looks

None of the existing smart watches are there yet (most of them you have to press a button to see the time!) and battery life is mediocre at best.

I wear automatic watches so I never really need to worry them running out of steam. The few battery powered watches I have are sitting in a drawer with empty batteries.

Nah, they aren't doomed. Right now, today, you can by a hundred dollar quartz watch that is more accurate than the fanciest mechanical movements. But the luxury watch market is not about accuracy. It's about putting something on your wrist that represents the finest, most advanced and most expensive iteration of what is really an obsolete technology. Hey, some people spend thousands on a single dress, why not on a piece of kinetic jewelry? For the smart watch to succeed, lux mech watches don't need to lose. Actually, I fully expect that a lot of people will buy both. Why would anyone assume that people will buy only one kind of watch?
  • Reply 54 of 243
    heinrichz wrote: »
    Who needs watches for time anyway? Rich people have watches as jewelry to show of their wealth and taste and on that level the Swiss will have nothing to fear, certainly not from a high tech product like an iwatch.

“We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,” [Palm CEO] said. “[Apple] are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”

Remind me how that turned out?
  • Reply 55 of 243
    rogifan wrote: »
    Which is only a problem if they don't have the goods already on hand to deliver in six days.  I sure hope they do.
    I hope they have the goods too.

I do, too. If they don't, it's a worry.
  • Reply 56 of 243
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gtr wrote: »
    I stand corrected.

He does appear to have a different point of view from some and is not afraid to explain or stand up for it.

Let's cut his fucking head off and upload the video onto the internet as an example against this kind of thing.

Ha, now yer talking.

Seriously, I and maybe Slurpy and a few others have a grim take on Apple ][ and his bilge because it's the same shit that's kept the US starting wars and suppressing popular democracies around the world since the end of WW 2. Same as if you're German, making antisemitic jokes is not so funny. Apple ][ is not so funny here in Rupert's adopted land where his network can sell a war, and did.

I'm not saying he should be censored, but if somebody smacks him down for slobbering and soiling himself in the middle of a civil discussion, then I wouldn't attack that person.
  • Reply 57 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'm not saying he should be censored, but if somebody smacks him down for slobbering and soiling himself in the middle of a civil discussion, then I wouldn't attack that person.

But you didn't just not 'attack that person'. You supported them.

So, I assume you approve of attempts to censor those with different opinions?

• Reply 58 of 243
    solipsismx wrote: »

“We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,” [Palm CEO] said. “[Apple] are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”

Remind how that turned out?

It's amazing how far we've come in so few years!
  • Reply 59 of 243

And sometimes it also feels we haven't gone anywhere at all when people think it's impossible for a company to move into a different area of business successfully.
  • Reply 60 of 243
    solipsismx wrote: »

Yep. A hundred years ago, we were putting a phone up to our ear. Today, we're putting a phone up to our ear. ????