Jony Ive reportedly says 'iWatch' will be trouble for Switzerland

Comments

• Reply 121 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Here's what he originally wrote, in response to no one at all, his first post in this thread:

"Let's crush Switzerland! Apple will lead the way! I never did care much for "neutral" countries anyhow. It's a bit of a cop out, and pretty cowardly, if you ask me."

We're not talking about "a different opinion," see? We're talking about someone who has a compulsion to start something by insulting another class or nationality, repeatedly, in thread after thread, for no other reason than to play the ugly American yahoo. We got readers in Switzerland. I think if he was saying something that stupid about Australia, you might not mind seeing him get a smack or two back. But he wouldn't dare go off on Australians, because his dim feelers have detected some quick wits from there who post here.

Actually I wouldn't give an upside-down rat's ass if anybody said anything about Australia.

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else.

And it would present me with a wonderful opportunity to better myself by using self-control.
  • Reply 122 of 243
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Only the lowest sort of boorish oaf would wish for such a thing. Surely you didn't mean that, did you?

You're basically calling Jony Ive a boorish oaf, because he's the one that said that the iWatch will be trouble. According to the rumor of course, which is what this thread is about.

• Reply 123 of 243
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No doubt. I like chocolate a lot. 

I'm not too familiar with Swiss women, the check box on my conquest list for Swiss women is still empty, but I'm sure that they're ok. Perhaps I will find out one day.

I think a lot's empty in your place.

Be certain that European women don't really like American teenage brawlers.

They're too sophisticated for people like you

• Reply 124 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Just joshing... ;)  I remember hearing a version of the story also (But from Germany, my family is of german ancestry).

Yeah, I also heard that story from my high school science teacher about 40 years ago and it was between England and Germany.

• Reply 125 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Actually I wouldn't give an upside-down rat's ass if anybody said anything about Australia.

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else.

And it would present me with a wonderful opportunity to better myself by using self-control.

Just wait until the next article comes along that has something to do with Apple and Australia. There's not too many of those. If I feel that Australia is in the wrong, then don't worry, I would have no problems with bashing Australia, or anybody else for that matter!:)

• Reply 126 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I think a lot's empty in your place.

Be certain that European women don't really like American teenage brawlers.

They're too sophisticated for people like you

You would be quite mistaken.

I am quite familiar with many European women, and quite a few of those checkboxes are checked off already. I said Switzerland in particular.

And no, I don't believe that they're too sophisticated for somebody like me. I find some of them to be like hillbillies, only that they're dressed slightly better. Their ignorance, naivity and intolerance is quite primitive in my humble view.

• Reply 127 of 243
    imatimat Posts: 209member

I'm sorry. Usually I don't feed trolls. But considering your utter ignorance, I thought maybe you need to understand a couple of things or more.

You don't care for neutral countries. Well, luckily for you someone does.

You might want to check which country is currently representing the US interests in Iran. Both parties agreed upon a country to act as a bridge between them. That country is my country. Switzerland.

You might be of the idea that bombing everyone who disagrees is a wonderful idea to bring peace to the world, but then again, you are entitled to have your opinion.

Then we might talk about the countless lives saved by the Red Cross, also in the US, whose main seat is in Switzerland because in case of conflict it's the only nation that can credibly send someone to check for the well being of POW or other prisoners.

Furthermore you might also ask yourself where many of the UN agencies are based. And, most importantly, why.

We were a country of warriors. In the middle ages the Swiss were regarded as one of the most fierce and ruthless warriors. So much so that the Pope STILL MANTAINS A SWISS GUARD for personal protection in recognition of the courage the Swiss showed in protecting him.

The Swiss discovered there was good money in good fighting. So they became mercenaries.

And they slaughtered themselves because of other kings and tyrants all around Europe. So, in order to live peacefully together among religions and languages, the Swiss decided to become neutral.

And last, but not least, you are talking about a country that was founded in 1291 and is still there.

A country whose motto is "uno pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"

Your motto is "et pluribus unum" 

The structure of the US closely mimics the Swiss structure, with some key difference I know, but with a lot of similarities.

Finally.

Monsieur Chevrolet.

So yeah. Opinions are important. But knowing what you speak about is too.

On topic. I don't fear the Casio style smart watches everyone is putting on the market. But as a Swiss Apple fan I fear for one of the pillars of our industry because the unique combination of style and function might be successful. And I might buy one :-)

• Reply 128 of 243
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Woah! This is big!

Does Ive ever comment on anything, especially on something that is not released yet?

It has yet to been proven these are his words.
  • Reply 129 of 243
    Oh damn! Oh no he didn't!
    Well, with that rumored declaration I would like to say goodbye to Casio 's G-Shock.
    It was good while it lasted.
    All hell bout to brake loose next week!!!
  • Reply 130 of 243
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    C'mon, Relic... wake up and chime in!  This thread has your name on it.  :)

I would imagine she is generating high pressure stream right now and is unable to tap away at her cell phone. Either that or she finds the statement so hilarious that she fell to the floor contorted with laughter.
  • Reply 131 of 243
    "a fashion-forward wearable"

What does this mangling of the English language mean?
  • Reply 132 of 243
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    imat wrote: »

I'm sorry. Usually I don't feed trolls. But considering your utter ignorance, I thought maybe you need to understand a couple of things or more.

You don't care for neutral countries. Well, luckily for you someone does.
    You might want to check which country is currently representing the US interests in Iran. Both parties agreed upon a country to act as a bridge between them. That country is my country. Switzerland.
    You might be of the idea that bombing everyone who disagrees is a wonderful idea to bring peace to the world, but then again, you are entitled to have your opinion.

Then we might talk about the countless lives saved by the Red Cross, also in the US, whose main seat is in Switzerland because in case of conflict it's the only nation that can credibly send someone to check for the well being of POW or other prisoners.
    Furthermore you might also ask yourself where many of the UN agencies are based. And, most importantly, why.

We were a country of warriors. In the middle ages the Swiss were regarded as one of the most fierce and ruthless warriors. So much so that the Pope STILL MANTAINS A SWISS GUARD for personal protection in recognition of the courage the Swiss showed in protecting him.

The Swiss discovered there was good money in good fighting. So they became mercenaries.
    And they slaughtered themselves because of other kings and tyrants all around Europe. So, in order to live peacefully together among religions and languages, the Swiss decided to become neutral.

And last, but not least, you are talking about a country that was founded in 1291 and is still there.
    A country whose motto is "uno pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"

Your motto is "et pluribus unum" 

The structure of the US closely mimics the Swiss structure, with some key difference I know, but with a lot of similarities.

Finally.
    Monsieur Chevrolet.

So yeah. Opinions are important. But knowing what you speak about is too.

On topic. I don't fear the Casio style smart watches everyone is putting on the market. But as a Swiss Apple fan I fear for one of the pillars of our industry because the unique combination of style and function might be successful. And I might buy one :-)

Interesting post. I'm thinking that the mechanical watch will continue to thrive, and become even more highly prized, following Marshall McLuhan's rule that the obsolete forms continue on as objects of art, increasingly, taking on a second life.
  • Reply 133 of 243
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Their chocolate and women are pretty good
    Their woman covered in chocolate are pretty good.
    FTFY
  • Reply 134 of 243
    gtr wrote: »
    Let's cut his fucking head off and upload the video onto the internet as an example against this kind of thing.

He can do that himself as well, only needs someone to upload that video.
    http://www.thespreadit.com/man-decapitates-self-31487/

pscooter63 wrote: »
    C'mon, Relic... wake up and chime in!  This thread has your name on it.  :)

She won't respond to him. It'll leave her frustrated anyway.
    gtr wrote: »
    I'm just doing what I can with what I got...

Nailed it.

"a fashion-forward wearable"

What does this mangling of the English language mean?

I think they mean it's ahead of it's time. A leading design, if you will.
  • Reply 135 of 243
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is his opinion only. I doubt it compared to other really expensive watches coming from Switzerland.

• Reply 136 of 243
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A bit of hubris Johnny ...

I remember a story from my youth where the US was fixated on outdoing watches made in Switzerland ...

As the story goes American technology produced a golden wire as fine as a human hair. Gloating, they sent it to the Swiss along with a message saying: "What do you think of this?"

Before long, the package was returned with a note that said: "Look at this closely."

Examination under a microscope showed that the Swiss had drilled a hole through the fine wire ... Lengthwise!
    Nice Story.
  • Reply 137 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just wait until the next article comes along that has something to do with Apple and Australia. There's not too many of those. If I feel that Australia is in the wrong, then don't worry, I would have no problems with bashing Australia, or anybody else for that matter!:)

I will count the days...

;)

• Reply 138 of 243
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I've been saying...

In the realm of dedicated watches, the world's first GPS watch cost $2300. This watch uses GPS signals to synch your watch to the local time as you cross time zones (versus using the radio signals normally used to synch high-end watches with an atomic clock as you change time zones). $2300 for a watch that tells you the time, has some chronograph features, and updates itself as you cross time zones. How do you get $2300 for a watch with no more functionality than one included app on any modern smartphone? Two words: Style. Materials.

Apple's iWatch will perform hundreds of functions. Add some Apple style and you boost the price. Make a model incorporating precious metals, like gold or platinum and you boost the price higher. But Apple has a third potential means of boosting the price. Apple can, and as widely speculated, will, add some sophisticated health monitoring functions not yet available on any available consumer wearable.

Now imagine if Apple were to add some of these health monitoring sensors not in the body of the iWatch, but in easily attachable bands. A diabetic would buy the band with blood glucose monitoring sensors, and pay a pretty penny for it, perhaps subsidized by insurance. A sports enthusiast/athlete will buy the sports band with sensors to monitor UV exposure, pulse rate, etc. With interchangeable bands, an iWatch owner could switch from a sports band to a more formal band for wearing the iWatch when going out in the evening. If the bands incorporate the batteries, then switching to another band gets you a full charge, and the switched out band gets set down on the included inductive charger.

Now how much would you pay?

In the fullness of time, all of the traditional watch makers are vulnerable. The utility of a watch as a timepiece has already been wholly disrupted by technology. Gone are the days when people check the time 100 times a day; smartphones with reminders and appointment calendars inform us of our time-based commitments, and these devices are looked at for a variety of purposes throughout the day, with the time ever present on screen. Smart watches will first supplant ordinary watches as a more functional fashion accessory. And with smart watch functionality soon becoming expected, luxury smart watches will come on the scene where they will displace those luxury watches whose functionality extends only to telling the time and a few other time-based functions. A technology ecosystem will be a critical part of the picture, and this is something none of the existing luxury watchmakers can bring to the market in any meaningful way compared with the technology giants currently moving into this space. Within 10 years, the notion of a luxury watch will be synonymous with luxury smart watch and the Rolexes of the world will be on the path to extinction.

Advice to the luxury watch makers: partner with tech giants, if they'll even have you.
    That idea of interchangeable wristbands with different functionality is a good one!
  • Reply 139 of 243
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMat View Post

snip

snip

Some key differences alright, like Switzerland is actually a democracy while the US isn't.

If Ive did say that, it makes me somewhat curious as to why exactly he thinks that.  Over the last ten years I would say I have spent more money in Switzerland than I have on Apple products.   I rarely wear a watch and doubt he or Apple could persuade me to wear one, or pay  Apple prices for one.

• Reply 140 of 243
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Good thing Apple doesn't make a knife. The Swiss would be in real trouble then. ????