Apple invites fashion publications to Sept. 9 event, signaling likely 'iWatch' focus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

I would like to see solar charging on the iWatch, just like my Citizen Watch. 

It could also have movement charging like on Seiko watches.

This way, it will charge itself.

I've got a Citizen watch with Eco-Drive.  I've had it for a few years and never needed a battery.  To be honest, this whole time I thought it used movement to charge, but it uses light.  It would be sweet if Apple's device did something similar to allow for a decent battery life between charges.  Really glad to see this fashion story pop up, which means an iWatch reveal is almost a given.  Can't wait.

• Reply 22 of 157

As long as they don’t write about Tim’s, Phil’s, and Jony’s attire, that’s fine with me.

• Reply 23 of 157
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The change from 30-pin to Lightning connector makes even more sense now, because it would be hard to make a fashionable watch with a large connector on it.

• Reply 24 of 157
    dacloo wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't? I'm not being ironic - I actually don't know what the added value of a smart watch is.

It can do things without the need to take it out f your pocket/purse/backpack ... It's just there, and it just works!

Receive and reply to notifications, monitor/report on activities and health data, securely buy things, find things (surf), give you directions/location information, receive and make phone calls, receive iBeacon alerts, respond to Siri commands, make a style/fashion statement ... Oh, and tell you the time!

The iWatch is an iPhone (or iPad) accessory -- it enhances the user experience for some activities -- just as earphones enhance the iPhone listening experience!

Other that that, I can't think of anything! :D
  • Reply 25 of 157
    dacloo wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't? I'm not being ironic - I actually don't know what the added value of a smart watch is.

It can do things without the need to take it out f your pocket/purse/backpack ... It's just there, and it just works!

Receive and reply to notifications, monitor/report on activities and health data, securely buy things, find things (surf), give you directions/location information, receive and make phone calls, receive iBeacon alerts, respond to Siri commands, make a style/fashion statement ... Oh, and tell you the time!

The iWatch is an iPhone (or iPad) accessory -- it enhances the user experience for some activities -- just as earphones enhance the iPhone listening experience!

Other that that, I can't think of anything! :D

BTW, I love the mockup:

I can visualize different widths, colors, textures, styles to appeal to women and men, alike.

Can't you just picture a textured gold lamé band with a clear display ... guess I'll leave that to the Apple fashionistas!

The incorporation of the band could solve any battery capacity issues.
  • Reply 26 of 157
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Games?

• Reply 27 of 157
    ascii wrote: »
    Games?

LOL. I want video editing first!
  • Reply 28 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    BTW, I love the mockup:

I can visualize different widths, colors, textures, styles to appeal to women and men, alike.

I see that as a complete fail in functionality. Wrists aren't perfectly round so what you have is a display that will be rotating on your arm every time you move. You also have to rotate it to use the Home Button so you're not using a single finger but multiple fingers and extra effort to properly click it. Since it's a solid object in a sphere it has to be put on by sliding over your hand which means it could fall off like those gaudy bracelets some people where. Finally, can you see a blue-collar worker, business person, or athlete wearing that? I can't.
  • Reply 29 of 157

Can't you just picture a textured gold lamé band with a clear display ... guess I'll leave that to the Apple fashionistas!

This is an important point. Batteries nowadays—at least Apples built-in batteries—are just squishy bags. You could pull the band apart enough to put it on (flexible display?) and still have a large battery taking up most of the volume. Hell, it could have a bigger battery than the phone!

ETA: I said a while back, about these "smartphone accessory" smartwatches: What if instead of that, the watch was the phone and the actual phone was just a dumb terminal for when you need a bigger display? I thought I was kidding, but maybe that's not so silly after all.
  • Reply 30 of 157
    solipsismx wrote: »
    BTW, I love the mockup:

I see that as a complete fail in functionality. Wrists aren't perfectly round so what you have is a display that will be rotating on your arm every time you move. You also have to rotate it to use the Home Button so you're not using a single finger but multiple fingers and extra effort to properly click it. Since it's a solid object in a sphere it has to be put on by sliding over your hand which means it could fall off like those gaudy bracelets some people where. Finally, can you see a blue-collar worker, business person, or athlete wearing that? I can't.

Ahh ...

I assume that there will be a way for the individual to squeeze the band to fit the wrist comfortably and stay in place. Several ways to do this -- the worst being a snake bracelet.

I also think that it will be worn with the face on the inside. This protects the display, allows discreet glances at the display and facilitates raising the iWatch to your ear/mouth for private phone calls or private Siri orders.

Or, they could just include some Velcro tape in the box.

Different textures/looks for blue-collar -- if they want to target that audience ... Business person -- definitely ... You get the likes of Kobe, Shaq, Sir Charles, Serena ... Game, Set and Match!
  • Reply 31 of 157
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'll be so glad when the real iWatch is finally released, because then I wont ever have to see any of these horrible mockups anymore.

To be fair some of the mockups I've seen aren't too bad. There are some that are shit but some, like the picture above aren't too bad.
  • Reply 32 of 157
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Clearly, you are not athletic.

A watch can be worn in situations where a smartphone would be awkward, and I'm not talking about running. Soccer, tennis, swimming, yoga, surfing, basketball, etc.

• Reply 33 of 157

Jony Ives will deliver an iWatch design that is simple, elegant, and timeless - no, not something that cannot tell the time ( ?? ?? ?? ).

Apple will develop a unique iWatch software solution unlike anything they have done before, that will be intuitive and functional.

If Apple does introduce the iWatch, Apple will have an iWatch SDK ready to go; and will have already developed a library of iWatch apps.

I believe that Apple will develop a round iWatch that will look something like this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/14024755/iWatch

• ac985010fbd7c6f4e678869f9c1db505.jpg

•  

Belm Designs, known for it’s cutting-edge design was asked to participate in a design contest featuring future products from some of today’s tech-giants. After reading the design brief we were totally up to the challenge.

The industry buzz right now is a wearable smart device that’s capable of entertainment, communication and utilitarian tasks.  We went right to work on what we thought might be a note worthy design that came straight from a tech giant’s own design team.

We toyed with different shapes and even based a few on current offerings on the market today. We found that when it comes to a watch or in this case a “Smart Watch”, a traditional circular shape was most favorable. Most people are quite comfortable with the shape and it still exudes class and style.

To keep things simple, the watchband was created from a stretchable rubber-nylon mix with micro perforations for maximum breathability yet strong and lightweight. The traditional clasp was replaced in lieu of a “Mag-Twist Lock” type clasp for easy removal.

The watch is constructed with a uni-body design. The body is pressed from a single titanium disk into shape and CNC milled to perfection. The face of the device is powered by a circular touchscreen with retina display to handle all your HD viewing needs. The device is also equipped with 4G and blue tooth communication and powered by a dual core microprocessor for multitasking operations. Product finishing is complete with chamfered edge treatments and a mix of titanium and chrome accents.

video-undefined-1E4D0AA600000578-380_638x360.jpg

• 1ba5a885671998fca7637cc9dad9541d.jpg

•  

•  

• 049e57c783b73a17cb05b66ad88ce368.jpg

•  

•  

• a5a730ad5071d9dc1f3d1c9ca0817f31.jpg

•  

•  

• dbb12d69c0b044031634d3ef33be46a2.jpg

•  

•  

• e0e9d8860576d23435e9cc32d23e0767.jpg

•  

•  

• 0f2ef841833acf4144b47270aef68c49.jpg

•  

•  

71a1cce343ef53eeaff6d720869a998d.jpg

•  

• 252e2dcf03257d124a430f50d218e2b7.jpg

•  

•  

• e9ea8950b2e87629fe5077affe8c2f64.jpg

•  

•  

• 87c7f1d4640f0f7eeae5acc96b6f81f4.jpg

•  

•  

• 589aba3eeb0cd871e588f4fa67568665.jpg

•  

•  

• 6e5d5f2244aa8ae253b0783b780171d2.jpg

•  

•  

• dbe4702b1e158879d57175bfd3f1ba5e.jpg

•  

•  

• 319a0b892ba55cd6b8b73ed7709dd979.jpg

article-2642662-1E4CE94F00000578-828_634x390.jpg

And the video...

• Reply 34 of 157
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The change from 30-pin to Lightning connector makes even more sense now, because it would be hard to make a fashionable watch with a large connector on it.

There won't be any visible connectors on the iWatch at all.

• Reply 35 of 157

@InteliusQ You owned cheese grater Mac Pro didn't you? As someone with hairy wrists that concept, as pretty as it is, terrifies me!

Speaking of which, I am starting to get stage fright by proxy for Tuesday. With all the talk about Apple getting into fashion, I am getting flashbacks to that horrendous Samsung Unboxed event when they thought they could put on a 1950s style musical and get away with it. What experience does Apple really have with fashion, really? They have excellent design sense and elegant high tech is always in fashion but now they are about to get into an area they have never been in before. That worries me. It is like Apple opening up a fast food franchise or Apple making an automobile. It may sound like a good idea at first but will it really be a success? Apple once sold socks. Does anyone remember that? I suspect that Apple is thankful that no one does.

• Reply 36 of 157
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Haha- I always wondered why he never wore a belt too. Tucked in shirt to jeans looks so weird without one (unless you're a girl)

Also never understand people with brown shoes and black belt or vice versa. We won't even get into socks and sandals. :D

This event is getting me freaking pumped!
  • Reply 37 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    Haha- I always wondered why he never wore a belt too. Tucked in shirt to jeans looks so weird without one (unless you're a girl)

Why do you need a belt if your pants aren't falling down?
  • Reply 38 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

• ac985010fbd7c6f4e678869f9c1db505.jpg

With Apple likely, wanting the iWatch to appeal to a variety of people, I doubt something like this would be it.

I honestly don't think women would like anything that looked remotely like that, and the watch face itself is far too large. By the way no one will be watching movies on the thing.

• Reply 39 of 157
    For the love of Mike—

When some spammer dumps a gigabyte of crap on the page, don't quote the whole damn thing!
  • Reply 40 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

For the love of Mike—

When some spammer dumps a gigabyte of crap on the page, don't quote the whole damn thing!

I edited my post. Sorry my initial post was made on my iPhone with AI's terrible iPhone App.