Apple invites fashion publications to Sept. 9 event, signaling likely 'iWatch' focus

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 157
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

(Couldn't find the clip from Nuns On the Run (1990), where I first heard it.

45 seconds from this film, completely unaltered, Google leaves it up.

15 seconds from I, Robot, for the purpose of a single line of dialogue, Google blocks me from even FINISHING the upload.

Can we pull a Spartacus on Google, please?

• Reply 142 of 157
    45 seconds from this film, completely unaltered, Google leaves it up.

15 seconds from I, Robot, for the purpose of a single line of dialogue, Google blocks me from even FINISHING the upload.

Can we pull a Spartacus on Google, please?

That is probably the media owners getting involved with what is published.
  • Reply 143 of 157
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is probably the media owners getting involved with what is published.

Sure is, but you’re saying that Austin Powers is a less meaningful piece of IP than–you know what, I get it now. Maybe I’ll flip the frame next time.

• Reply 144 of 157
    envirog wrote: »
    I can't wait. Bring it!

Yep. Bring it on!
  • Reply 145 of 157
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device. So, three things: a widescreen iPod with touch controls; a revolutionary mobile phone; and a breakthrough Internet communications device. An iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator. An iPod, a phone … are you getting it? These are not three separate devices, this is one device, and we are calling it iPhone."

Anyone want to rewrite for an iWatch?

I've been thinking of the same thing actually. I'll take a crack at it:

"Apple is all about making our lives simpler, so we can focus on the things that truly matter.* So today we're thrilled to be announcing some products that will do just that; they will have the ability to truly transform the way we live. So what can we do to simplify our lives? Well I think a good place to start is to focus on the things we carry with us every day. For some, the most important thing is probably a phone, but we already told you about those today. In addition to a phone, the things we usually carry with us are our wallet, our keys, and, sometimes, a watch. Well today were going to announce products that can replace all of these things, and much, much more. Today we're going to announce a replacement for your wallet, your keys, and your watch.. wallet, keys, watch.. are you getting it!?"

[SIZE=10px]*Edit: At least one study has shown that increased cognitive load can adversely affect our ability to empathize and connect with others. This seems to fit right in with Apple's MO of getting technology out of the way and simplifying our lives. I learned about this study this by looking into the fascinating work of one of Apple's new hires, Nancy Dougherty.[/SIZE]

'Introducing the new iKWall-e-Watch, sponsored by Pixar.'
  • Reply 146 of 157
    kab695 wrote: »
    What if the iWatch is a module that can be inserted into any wristband (like other watches) or maybe even a "wristband-case" that has the proper receptacle for this iWatch module.  Then, fashion could go crazy, lots of companies would jump in, and people would buy it for the fun of accessorizing it as much as function.
    Just a thought.

If the smart watch was a smart strap, then you could even wear it with your high-end watches.
  • Reply 147 of 157
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    How much does the 100 microWatts translate to? When you look at the Watt hours on the current lot of "smartwatches" I wonder if it would be enough to make it work. If it did, I would wonder if just carrying your iPhone on you would also have a positive effect throughout the day to help maintain a noticeably longer charge even if not even to prevent drain from normal use.

100 microwatts would be nowhere near enough. The batteries in the smartwatches range from ~1-1.5 watt-hours so if they are to get 8 hour battery life, the power draw would be just under 0.2 watts average. You'd need 2,000 of the 100 microwatts generators to get that power. This is fine for standard watches:

http://www.seiko-cleanenergy.com/watches/kinetic-1.html

"In 1986, SEIKO's engineers succeeded in producing an IC with energy consumption of only 0.9 micro-watts of power, which was just 3% of that needed in the first Quartz watch: the Astron. Today, Kinetic Direct Drive uses just 0.71 micro-watts."

There might be a way to produce more power. If they made a wheel the entire diameter of the watch for example with a weight round the rim, the movement of the wrist would rotate the wheel all the time but the weight would probably have to be too light to produce enough torque in order to avoid unbalancing the watch or making it feel heavy.

The maximum you can get from solar is about 1kW per square metre. A watch like the 360 has a surface area of 0.00125m^2 so maximum 1.25W of power with 100% efficiency. Transparent solar glass has an efficiency of about 6% but could go to 20%. There are solar panels that make it near 20% already and this would be 0.25W at peak.

The best thing to do is try to cut the power draw down and this will happen with successive models. There will be no motive to improve performance in successive models as they perform very limited functions.
  • Reply 148 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When thinking about the event tomorrow I'm reminded of this quote from Jony Ive in an interview with the London Times:

[QUOTE]We are at the beginning of a remarkable time, when a remarkable number of products will be developed. When you think about technology and what it has enabled us to do so far, and what it will enable us to do in future, we’re not even close to any kind of limit. It’s still so, so new.”[/QUOTE]

John Scully told Bloomberg that he thinks tomorrow's event will be a "creative leap" for Apple. I agree and can't wait to see what's announced. :smokey:
  • Reply 149 of 157
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'm now wondering who from the fashion industry is going to show up. Fashion week in NYC started on September 4th, and runs until the 11th.
  • Reply 150 of 157
    rogifan wrote: »
    When thinking about the event tomorrow I'm reminded of this quote from Jony Ive in an interview with the London Times:
    John Scully told Bloomberg that he thinks tomorrow's event will be a "creative leap" for Apple. I agree and can't wait to see what's announced. :smokey:

John Sculley? LOL! These guys will say anything to get their name in the news.
  • Reply 151 of 157
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    1) But I didn't agree you, I happen to use a belt with my jeans, but that's because my jeans are loose fitting so a belt is required for utility reasons. If you don't need a belt to hold up your jeans then why use one? You clearly stated it should be worn regardless of utility. I disagree.

3) Now tell me, how do you feel about non-jean pants? I'm guessing your pro-belt stance isn't likely isolated to all male jean wearers.

1] that was the purpose of my hair gel comment. You're likining a belt as strictly a utility device (like batman). I'm saying it's for fashion. In fact, if your jeans don't fit, get some that do. Scrunched up waist with a belt would look bad as well.

3] I agree with you about non-jean pants. Wholeheartedly. That's why I isolated out jeans. Gosling's fashion is spot on IMO. That guy is on point.

Steve's attire is terrible. Lol. The fashion writers were correct in criticizing it. But he was a freakin' techie- so what'd he care?

That said, I'm glad Steve wore it- as terrible as it was, it was an iconic look.

Ok- so can we squash this? Something about arguing clothes fashion in a tech page makes me feel weird. :\
  • Reply 152 of 157
    dacloo wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't? I'm not being ironic - I actually don't know what the added value of a smart watch is.

That's why..... You should Watch the event.
  • Reply 153 of 157
    ^^^ I have news for you... Fashion is tech now. Tech is fashion. Otherwise, there would be no Apple versus (insert competitor) debate.
  • Reply 154 of 157
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ^^^ I have news for you... Fashion is tech now. Tech is fashion. Otherwise, there would be no Apple versus (insert competitor) debate.

That's why I italicized the word clothes

Clearly I'm having a problem properly communicating. I'll just go back to the drawing board
  • Reply 155 of 157
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Because an iWatch is always worn on the arm unlike an iPhone, it can do somethings the iPhone can't do as well:
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">1. Aways-On Clock</span>

2. Body Temperature
    3. Heart Rate
    4. EKG
    5. Blood sugar measurement
    6. Blood Oxygenation measurement
    7. Sleep Oxygenation measurement
    8. Steps and distance moved
    9. Exercise activity
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Think about the Nike Fuel Band on Steroids monitoring your state of health while also telling the time.</span>

And it will do so while also looking like fashion jewelry.  With several models, Apple seeks to sell you several of them.

Then if you're wearing one of those you should wind up looking like Captain America and not Steve Wozniak?
  • Reply 156 of 157
    Looks like apple is going to try and make a whole new accessories market for their iWatch. Think bands, skins, or covers..