Apple invites fashion publications to Sept. 9 event, signaling likely 'iWatch' focus

Comments

• Reply 121 of 157
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I don't use hair gel (or a hair dryer or any product to style my hair). I get my hair cut short when it gets to a point that it requires brushing or some sort of nasty substance in it. I despise waiting time on something so frivolous.*

2) I have paid a tailor to remove belt loops from suits pants that I'll specifically not use a belt because I think it looks better. If I won't need a belt why should I wear one? I do use a belt with jeans but that's because they are more loosely fitting than my bespoke suits.

400 400 400

(I'm on the right¡)

* Not so much that it's frivolous but that it's frivolous for me whilst talking up time every day, or multie times a day, especially in the morning when time seems more precious.

Great three examples of how no belt when wearing jeans looks so good.

Oh- those aren't jeans? So why did you even post? Are you still trolling and I just keep falling for it?
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Ever wear a belt with a tux?  :no:

Since some are having trouble following:
    andysol wrote: »
    I always wondered why he never wore a belt too. Tucked in shirt to jeans looks so weird without one (unless you're a girl)/quote]
  • Reply 122 of 157
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Oh look, belt.

• Reply 123 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Great three examples of how no belt when wearing jeans looks so good.

Oh- those aren't jeans? So why did you even post? Are you still trolling and I just keep falling for it?
    I always wondered why he never wore a belt too. Tucked in shirt to jeans looks so weird without one (unless you're a girl)

I think you may have had a point had you answered my general pants question about them not falling off with 1) a comment about only jeans looking hideous on men without a belt, or 2) making a comment about hair gel and it doing something even j it's not needed.

But you failed until now to isolate your comment to state, "I believe only jeans look bad on men without a belt and think men's pants in general can be very attractive without a belt."

I even went the extra mile to say I do wear a belt with my jeans and clarified that I do so because they are worn more baggy than bespoke dress pants.
  • Reply 124 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Since that's not the comment I responded to, maybe others should try to keep their posts straight.

• Reply 125 of 157
    For any wrist device to succeed, it has to first and foremost BE jewelry. The consumer has to want to wear one without consideration of what it does. After all, even if one wears a watch, how often does one use it to tell time particularly when one has a smartphone that shows the time?? The watch has for years been simply jewelry first, function second. This is why people aspire to wear $30,000 Rolex watches and other brands. Even men's watches are first and foremost jewelry. This is why men buy several of them. If you had to consider function first, you would only have one worn out watch not several.

These attempts at wearables all fail because they are not jewelry first.

Apple may be the exception. It has many leaders from the fashion and design industry working at Apple. It would not surprise me to see Tim Cook introduce a woman, Angela Ahrendts, the former CEO of Burberry, who now is the senior vice president of retail and online stores at Apple, and have her introduce the iWatch, having tested the beta products herself. If she approves of the iWatch, then there is no doubt the iWatch is going to succeed.

If a smartwatch or wearable is going to succeed, it has to attract women first. And women will have to approve of men wearing it. If women aren't attracted to men wearing a smartwatch, then the smartwatch fails.

This is quite different an aspiration from any other smartwatch manufacturer. For them, the smartwatch or wearable has to be attractive to geeks first. Then greeks have to approve of other geeks wearing them.
  • Reply 126 of 157
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I think you may have had a point had you answered my general pants question about them not falling off with 1) a comment about only jeans looking hideous on men without a belt, or 2) making a comment about hair gel and it doing something even j it's not needed.

But you failed until now to isolate your comment to state, "I believe only jeans look bad on men without a belt and think men's pants in general can be very attractive without a belt."

I even went the extra mile to say I do wear a belt with my jeans and clarified that I do so because they are worn more baggy than bespoke dress pants.

Why would you even reply to me then originally if you agreed? I clearly was talking about jeans and jeans only- hence why I only mentioned jeans- and then further clarified it to males only. Jeans are pants- so maybe it is you who should have clarified. "I agree about jeans, but I prefer pants with no belt unless they hold your pants up".

You can't see how your original comment appeared to be contradicting my previous, and completely specific post?

Thats besides the point that you took a slightly off-topic post and made it totally off-topic.
  • Reply 127 of 157
    Why would you even reply to me then originally if you agreed? I clearly was talking about jeans and jeans only- hence why I only mentioned jeans- and then further clarified it to males only. Jeans are pants- so maybe it is you who should have clarified. "I agree about jeans, but I prefer pants with no belt unless they hold your pants up".

You can't see how your original comment appeared to be contradicting my previous, and completely specific post?

1) But I didn't agree you, I happen to use a belt with my jeans, but that's because my jeans are loose fitting so a belt is required for utility reasons. If you don't need a belt to hold up your jeans then why use one? You clearly stated it should be worn regardless of utility. I disagree.

2) You specially mentioned jeans because that is what is typically worn on stage at Apple events.

3) Now tell me, how do you feel about non-jean pants? I'm guessing your pro-belt stance isn't likely isolated to all male jean wearers.

edit: Here are a bunch of people wearing jeans that aren't wearing a belt.

400 400 400 400 400
  • Reply 128 of 157
    Just wanted to say, what has me most excited is that these crazy mock ups are just all over the place! Reminds me of 2007 before the iPhone they really had it under such tight wraps that it was an exciting surprise...these days we pretty much know what's coming but this time I'm def gonna watch the live presentation!
  • Reply 129 of 157
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I believe SpamSandwich was referring to this?

Holy shit people, hang on to your hats, this is going to be a wild ride.

12:42pm - 28 Aug 14

If you follow Ben Bajarin's twitter he too has hinted that Tuesday is going to be big, that Apple would announce things no one is talking about. Sounded like he's got some inside information from Apple that embargoed until after Tuesday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Yes, and he said he wrote everything (reviews?) already, just couldn't publish it.

When you think about it, of course it's big.  They built a goddamn f*cking land barge, for god's sakes.  When has Apple ever done that?  This is Tim breaking out of the carefully delineated boundaries that Steve had mapped out for Apple.  Not because it was a mistake then - how can you call all those blockbuster products a mistake?, But because it's time.  Can't keep relying on iPhone and its allied devices for growth.  I suppose Apple is so big now that it has strike out on a wide front, not just another rinky dink device that would yield incremental revenue growth.

I am thoroughly intrigued about what fabulous unexpected new thing is coming out on Tuesday.

Oh, and in all the excitement we've all completely forgot about IBM and the 200+ apps that they said they're working on.  Might we be allowed a glimpse of iOS8 and Yosemite in action for the enterprise?

• Reply 130 of 157

Apple creates ecosystems, not just products. I expect that we will see several current and new Apple partners from the fashion/sports/exercise/home products, retail (aka mobile payments, iBeacons) and possibly other sectors on stage Tuesday as Apple unveils its iWatch. Every product/service - clothes, sneakers, thermostats, loyalty cards, etc. they demonstrate will feature Healthkit- and/or mobile payments and/or iBeacons and/or Homekit-compliant technology and will work seamlessly with Apple products. The purpose of the temporary structure Apple is constructing outside Flint? How about fashion shows/product demos.

"You're more powerful than you think." ...takes on a whole new meaning!

• Reply 131 of 157
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Can anyone explain to me what an iWatch could do that an iPhone can't? I'm not being ironic - I actually don't know what the added value of a smart watch is.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

• Reply 132 of 157
    jerry602 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say, what has me most excited is that these crazy mock ups are just all over the place! Reminds me of 2007 before the iPhone they really had it under such tight wraps that it was an exciting surprise...these days we pretty much know what's coming but this time I'm def gonna watch the live presentation!

"Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device. So, three things: a widescreen iPod with touch controls; a revolutionary mobile phone; and a breakthrough Internet communications device. An iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator. An iPod, a phone … are you getting it? These are not three separate devices, this is one device, and we are calling it iPhone."

Anyone want to rewrite for an iWatch?
  • Reply 133 of 157
    I can't wait. Bring it!
  • Reply 134 of 157
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device. So, three things: a widescreen iPod with touch controls; a revolutionary mobile phone; and a breakthrough Internet communications device. An iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator. An iPod, a phone … are you getting it? These are not three separate devices, this is one device, and we are calling it iPhone."

According to the NT Times this is the core "iWatch" team:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/technology/can-apple-build-a-cool-and-convenient-iwatch.html?_r=0
    The people who created the watch have been described by Apple employees as an “all-star team.” Apple’s top designers and engineers who worked on its iPhone, iPad and Macs are all part of it, several Apple employees said.

And important Apple executives have been closely supervising the product, employees say. Among them are Jeff Williams, Apple’s senior vice president of operations, and Jonathan Ive, Apple’s head of design. Other key players include Kevin Lynch, formerly chief technology officer of Adobe, who has been supervising the watch’s software; Jay Blahnik, a fitness consultant who worked on Nike’s FuelBand device; and Michael O’Reilly, a former chief medical officer of the Masimo Corporation, a company based in Irvine, Calif., that makes devices for monitoring patients.

Sounds like the main executives driving the project are Jeff Williams and Jony Ive. Interesting that Kevin Lynch is overseeing the software. And I don't see Bob Mansfield listed. I wonder if he's still doing work for Apple or officially retired?
  • Reply 135 of 157
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

• Piezoelectric quartz crystal (self-charging mechanism for weeks or months of battery life)

The crystal in a quartz watch regulates the time, it doesn't charge the watch. You know that little button battery that you get changed at the Mall every 5 years? That's the power source.

Kinetic generators are the answer to better battery life:

http://inhabitat.com/mit-unveils-tiny-kinetic-generator-that-produces-100-times-more-power-from-small-vibrations/

• Reply 136 of 157
    hentaiboy wrote: »

How much does the 100 microWatts translate to? When you look at the Watt hours on the current lot of "smartwatches" I wonder if it would be enough to make it work. If it did, I would wonder if just carrying your iPhone on you would also have a positive effect throughout the day to help maintain a noticeably longer charge even if not even to prevent drain from normal use.
  • Reply 137 of 157
    tundraboy wrote: »
    When you think about it, of course it's big.  They built a goddamn f*cking land barge, for god's sakes.  When has Apple ever done that?  This is Tim breaking out of the carefully delineated boundaries that Steve had mapped out for Apple.  Not because it was a mistake then - how can you call all those blockbuster products a mistake?, But because it's time.  Can't keep relying on iPhone and its allied devices for growth.  I suppose Apple is so big now that it has strike out on a wide front, not just another rinky dink device that would yield incremental revenue growth.

I am thoroughly intrigued about what fabulous unexpected new thing is coming out on Tuesday.

Oh, and in all the excitement we've all completely forgot about IBM and the 200+ apps that they said they're working on.  Might we be allowed a glimpse of iOS8 and Yosemite in action for the enterprise?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 138 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've been thinking of the same thing actually. I'll take a crack at it:

"Apple is all about making our lives simpler, so we can focus on the things that truly matter.* So today we're thrilled to be announcing some products that will do just that; they will have the ability to truly transform the way we live. So what can we do to simplify our lives? Well I think a good place to start is to focus on the things we carry with us every day. For some, the most important thing is probably a phone, but we already told you about those today. In addition to a phone, the things we usually carry with us are our wallet, our keys, and, sometimes, a watch. Well today were going to announce products that can replace all of these things, and much, much more. Today we're going to announce a replacement for your wallet, your keys, and your watch.. wallet, keys, watch.. are you getting it!?"

*Edit: At least one study has shown that increased cognitive load can adversely affect our ability to empathize and connect with others. This seems to fit right in with Apple's MO of getting technology out of the way and simplifying our lives. I learned about this study this by looking into the fascinating work of one of Apple's new hires, Nancy Dougherty.

• Reply 139 of 157

What if the iWatch is a module that can be inserted into any wristband (like other watches) or maybe even a "wristband-case" that has the proper receptacle for this iWatch module.  Then, fashion could go crazy, lots of companies would jump in, and people would buy it for the fun of accessorizing it as much as function.

Just a thought.

• Reply 140 of 157
    Today we're going to announce a replacement for your wallet, your keys, and your watch.. wallet, keys, watch.. are you getting it!?"[/COLOR]

[VIDEO]
    ?start=36[/VIDEO]

(Couldn't find the clip from Nuns On the Run (1990), where I first heard it.