Samsung smartphone trade-in requests surge in wake of Apple's iPhone 6 announcements

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
The unveiling of Apple's iPhone 6 handsets has unsurprisingly fueled a flood of trade-in requests from previous-generation iPhone owners lured by the new devices' larger displays and bonus features. But they're not the only ones preparing to make the jump -- many owners of smartphones from Apple's chief rival Samsung are also eager to upgrade their experience.

Image via eCycle Best.

According to buyback service and AppleInsider partner Gazelle, trade-ins of Samsung devices were up threefold on a weekly basis immediately following Apple's Sept. 9 announcement, suggesting Apple's larger screen sizes may already be doing their part to court over Android switchers.

Samsung, of course, has offered jumbo-sized phones, including its Galaxy S and Galaxy Note series, for years, but 2014 marks the first time Apple will cater to the big smartphone trend.

Of course, previous-generation iPhone owners are also rapidly trading in their devices to buy Apple's latest and greatest. Following the reveal of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the iPhone 5 was the most popular item traded in at Gazelle, representing 47 percent of all legacy Apple smartphones.

Coming in next was last year's iPhone 5s, which accounted for 34 percent of all trade-ins, while the three-year-old iPhone 4S was 13 percent.

In comparison, a year ago, the iPhone 4S was the most-traded-in phone at 42 percent, while the iPhone 5 followed closely behind at 36 percent. The trends suggest that most users typically wait two years --?also the length of the average wireless contract -- before upgrading.

Overall, Gazelle saw its trade-ins increase 293 percent from the week prior thanks to Apple's iPhone 6 announcement, averaging 480 offers per minute. iPhone 5 trade-ins alone were up 346 percent, while iPhone 5s trade-ins grew 404 percent week over week.

Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus become available for preorder tonight at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3:01 a.m. Eastern. Users can lock in their cash trade-in offers from Gazelle now, and won't have to ship their current iPhone until after the new iPhone 6 arrives on Sept. 19. AI's Trade-In Payout Guide also lists several alternatives to Gazelle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    Samsung trade-ins rose threefold on a weekly basis since two days ago? Okay.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Grammar police: "But their not the only ones"
  • Reply 3 of 79

Now that's funny

• Reply 4 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Interesting, so I'd presume that at least for some size does matter?

ETA: Is there any way those 5s traders are avoiding taking a hit? I' bought early and my contract still has six months to run...

• Reply 5 of 79
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    brianfrick wrote: »

perhaps "appleinsider staff" includes mikey campbell. he says he wishes he could proofread his writing, but he says he can't. i'd guess that all of appleinsider staff "can't".
  • Reply 6 of 79

So last week there were 3 Samsung trade-ins and this week 9? or was it 10,000,000 and 90,000,000. Where are the numbers and not just "threefold" Playing the week over week or year over year percent increase game. Need to know were it started or ended.

Complete Fluff to advertise AppleInsider partner Gazelle

• Reply 8 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Of course, this could also mean that Samsung owners were waiting to see what Apple offered, and after having seen it, were disappointed, and are trading in their phones to buy new Samsung models which were also recently revealed.

That may not be a popular thought here, but it's certainly veey possible.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Count me in ! Day has arrived. Hala lua ya. I want to get rid of my LG and wife's Samsung to buy ihpone 6. Can't wait.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

"Of course, this could also mean that Samsung owners were waiting to see what Apple offered, and after having seen it, were disappointed, and are trading in their phones to buy new Samsung models which were also recently revealed. That may not be a popular thought here, but it's certainly veey possible."

I doubt that seriously.

1) Samsung announced new projects without pricing or release dates or availability.

2) Even if Samsung tries to ship, as reported on AI, Apple has tied up much of the international shipping for its massive iPhone 6 roll out.

I personally really liked the look of the Samsung Edge.... but that product is a mystery in terms of when it might actually become available for purchase.

Meanwhile the 6 is about to hit store shelves.

• Reply 11 of 79
    brianfrick wrote: »

They're us short for they are, so in this case the grammar is correct.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

or look at this. Now, they know that Apple indeed came out with larger screen iphone which in absent left to android and now they want to come to home. That seems right.

• Reply 13 of 79
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    512ke wrote: »
    "Of course, this could also mean that Samsung owners were waiting to see what Apple offered, and after having seen it, were disappointed, and are trading in their phones to buy new Samsung models which were also recently revealed. That may not be a popular thought here, but it's certainly veey possible."

I doubt that seriously.

1) Samsung announced new projects without pricing or release dates or availability.

2) Even if Samsung tries to ship, as reported on AI, Apple has tied up much of the international shipping for its massive iPhone 6 roll out.

I personally really liked the look of the Samsung Edge.... but that product is a mystery in terms of when it might actually become available for purchase.

Meanwhile the 6 is about to hit store shelves.

I just threw that out, and it's possible. Companies that accept iPhones had said that you could trade your phone now, but keep the phone until you received your new one. That was over a month ago. So it's certainly possible.

But I knew that there would be people here who wouldn't want to read that. You're the first. Congrats!
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Samsung trade-ins rose threefold on a weekly basis since two days ago? Okay

I agree. The Apple ship started to sink after the outdated iphone 6 reveal. What is happening actually is that samsung owners after seeing the mediocre keynote they are upgrading to Note 4 Edge which spots some actual innovations.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

"But I knew that there would be people here who wouldn't want to read that. You're the first. Congrats!"

Well my point was that it is a logical impossibility what you're suggesting.

It's nothing to do with my personal bias (although certain I have one lol).

It's more that even if someone wanted desperately to get their hands on the new Samsung stuff that was just announced, it would be literally impossible at this time.

Therefore to suggest that people are trading in their old Sammy phones for new unavailable Sammy gear is just not possible.

Sure, I'm pro Apple, but I'm also pro logic.  Peace :)

• Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Samsung trade-ins rose threefold on a weekly basis since two days ago? Okay.

Just a guess, but I think he meant "rose threefold on a weekly basis leading up to and past the sept 9th event."

• Reply 17 of 79

Yeah, they fixed it.

• Reply 18 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, this could also mean that Samsung owners were waiting to see what Apple offered, and after having seen it, were disappointed, and are trading in their phones to buy new Samsung models which were also recently revealed.

That may not be a popular thought here, but it's certainly veey possible.

With Samsung phones actual availability a month or more out (given "sometime in October...") Gazelle would have to be extending the same generous trade in window as they are for iPhone trade-ins and there's no certain knowledge even that would reach to when the new models may receivable. Are they? At least there's a date certain for the iPhones which is within even their standard 30 day price lock.

• Reply 19 of 79

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself,

do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it."

- Bruce Lee

• Reply 20 of 79
    A lot of these sites are offering way less than eBay / Craigslist, but definitely make it much easier. The only buyback site I have found with decent prices for broken or cracked screens is iCracked.com/Sell ; but it may be better to sell working ones back to the carrier depending on which device you have (i.e if you have an iPhone 4)