Microsoft looks to distance itself from Windows 8, jumps to Windows 10

Comments

• Reply 141 of 214
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And, I assume, Mark Wahlberg (The Artist Formerly Known as Marky Mark™)?

He's actually Catholic. :lol:

Oops! Typical American "assuming everybody with a German name is Jewish". Oh well!
  • Reply 142 of 214
    WinSoxs (you have to say it).
  • Reply 143 of 214
    Oops! Typical American "assuming everybody with a German name is Jewish". Oh well!

It was a good guess. I had to look it up.
  • Reply 144 of 214
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

As Paula Abdul would say "One step forward, two steps back"

Huh...I didn't think Paula Abdul could count that high.

• Reply 145 of 214
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    If the only thing Microsoft has to offer the terminally dull world of Windows computing is the use of the number "10" I can hardly wait to experience the load of uninspiring features that will pile up around the actual release. Windows PCs are about as exciting as toasters and Windows is about as exciting as a slice of white bread. Woo hoo, the thrill ride will never cease.
  • Reply 146 of 214
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hardware setup? 5200 RPM, 7200 RPM, or SSD? Amount of RAM?

Core i7-4770K,  16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. 

• Reply 147 of 214
    dewme wrote: »
    If the only thing Microsoft has to offer the terminally dull world of Windows computing is the use of the number "10" I can hardly wait to experience the load of uninspiring features that will pile up around the actual release. Windows PCs are about as exciting as toasters and Windows is about as exciting as a slice of white bread. Woo hoo, the thrill ride will never cease.

Oh, on the rare occasions I'm forced to use Windows, it's pretty exciting: "Will that vein in my forehead explode before I staple my eyes shut?"
  • Reply 148 of 214

This Continuum feature MS demoed for 2-in-1's actually looks cool, and nicely done.   I like how when you disconnect the keyboard, it automatically goes into multitouch mode and vice versa.  Imagine if OSX got multi-touch capability and could automatically go back and forth between touch and keyboard / mouse?  Watch the video;

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/continuum-microsoft-finally-makes-touch-and-mouse-make-sense-together/

Another great feature is Windows Universal Apps.  If I buy an app on one device, I can download that app, for free, on ANY other device.  So no paying for separately for apps on phone, tablet, or PC.  This is something Apple should implement - unify the iOS & Mac App Stores and have universal iOS & Mac apps.  Pay only once.

• Reply 149 of 214
    Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

512GB SSD. 

There you go.

• Reply 150 of 214

The best part of having switched is that I can now look at this abomination and laugh.

Before that, I'd have been in tears.

• Reply 151 of 214

Windows  9  10

• Reply 152 of 214

Looks sensible so far. I like that they are adding an expose-type feature, and there looks to be a fairly nice balance between traditional and new - again, so far.

Only thing is, the tile design of W8 worked incredibly well on tablets. I wonder how they are catering for tablets with this design.

• Reply 153 of 214
    Seriously, their pitch is basically "Well, here's some stuff you liked from Win7 mixed with some stuff you liked from Win8. But it's SO NEW & FRESH that we blazed right past the number 9!"
  • Reply 154 of 214
    Wasn't Windows 8 the beginning of a new generation of Windows?

Aside from being schizophrenic and, well, Windows, 8.1 is not much worse than Windows generally is by default. There's nothing "new generation" about it. Tons of arcane cruft is still hanging out in there, and the design of the actual underpinnings is pretty much still the same unintelligent nonsense with a slightly different GUI Velcroed on top. Without gutting the whole thing and killing backwards compatibility (and we've seen Metro isn't going to allow a new path to do that), it's still going to be the same damn generation: NT kernel with the same DOS trappings as always (reliance on drive letters, for example... don't even tell me that drive letters aren't required; I've already been there and experimented with not assigning drive letters, plus the damn OS itself still assigns them by default anyway... never use anything custom, and never go outside the defaults, in Windows, if you want to avoid trouble).
  • Reply 155 of 214
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    If Windows looked anything like her we'd all be using it.

Windows 7 of 9
    Upgrading is Futile!
  • Reply 156 of 214
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    darendino wrote: »
    That's bollocks for a start!

Windows, Windows 2, Windows 3, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME,Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1.

MS have no idea about order and numbering, they have released more than 10 versions and call their latest one Windows 10????

I hope a sarcastic news anchor introduces "and Microsoft have announced their 11th version of Windows, Windows 10..."

Send me the link when that happens :)
  • Reply 157 of 214
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Where in the world have you found a Windows machine that boots in less than five minutes?

The one I am using a the moment, it is not really any slower to boot than my 2014 MBP
  • Reply 158 of 214
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I don’t think you know what an ad is.

I do, but that image didn't contain any. The user had installed the Mint, and Trip Advisor applications and added their live tiles to their start menu
  • Reply 159 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Welome to the Microsoft Assembled Code Operating System version 10. If only there was an easier way to write that¡

This is one time when spelling it out clearly doesn't help! I thought it was pretty clever though.

• Reply 160 of 214

Looking at that picture it looks like they announced it in the broom cupboard

10633-2973-IMG_6277-620x465-l.png