Microsoft looks to distance itself from Windows 8, jumps to Windows 10

13468911

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 214
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

    Not going to happen in 2020, not going to happen this century.


     

    lol. Enjoy that delusion. I bet you’re still sore that we stopped using blinkenlights on that side of 2000.

     
    Touchscreens are… …absolutely unworkable for a wall-size screen.

     

    Actually, they’re just about the only thing workable. I’d love to see you drag a mouse across six feet of mousepad to cross an entire wall with your cursor.

     

    And desktop computing is not going away.


     

    I can’t understand the people who say this–and there are some. Are they so stupid to think that only phones and tablets are the future?

     

    You want to design a circuit on an iPad?  How about a building?  Edit a feature film?


     

    Seems like all that would be easier with a 27-42” touchscreen desktop.

  • Reply 102 of 214
    They already did the X in the name copying. Windows XP was announced shortly after the launch of OS X and im sure the naming isnt coincedence.
  • Reply 103 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    You think Microsoft wouldn’t update their own software to accompany a new OS?! 

     

     

    Roughly four years. I don’t see mouse+keyboard computers being sold by Apple by 2020.




    I don't know about that.  All the pros that rely on MBP and Mac Pros for use with FCPX, Photoshop, etc., will have a shit storm.

     

    EDIT: Besides, if they were going to do that, why go through all the trouble of bringing out a new Mac Pro, a possible rMBA next year, and maybe a Retina iMac next month?

  • Reply 104 of 214
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    From a 'corporate' point of view(that's what Im stuck with at work) -  increase boot time (windows is a dog to boot and shutdown), retina display type support (tired of these fuzzy screens, compared to my iphone, MBP etc). And don't allow McAfee to protect from the infinite antivirus etc (McAfee hogs/bogs the system).

    If a windows machine takes longer than 15 seconds to boot there is something wrong with it. What fuzzy screen, Windows can support high resolutions and the display from them is not fuzzy. McAfee is a third party, if you install their client tools, then you are the fool, not Microsoft
  • Reply 105 of 214
    Here is all I have to say about Windows:

    Windows 1.0 - yikes
    Windows 2.0 - slightly less yikes
    Windows 3.0
    Windows (W)orry (G)roups
    Windoze 95 well err.... lemme see really 97
    Windose 98
    Windows NT (Nice Try)
    Window (M)ore (E)xcuses
    Windows e(X)tra (P)roblems
    Windows (V)iruses (I)ntruders (S)pyware (T)rojans (A)dware
    Windows 7
    Windows 7 ate 9
    Windows 10 (1.0) full circle yuck
  • Reply 106 of 214
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

    I think he was pulling your leg; you ran with it.

    Judging by his later reply I don't think he knows what a live tile is

    I... don’t think so.
  • Reply 107 of 214
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

    I don't know about that.  All the pros that rely on MBP and Mac Pros for use with FCPX, Photoshop, etc., will have a shit storm.

     

    So? They whined when the applications were updated a few years ago. They got used to it. They’ll get used to this. Professionals whined when we went to the mouse from only a keyboard. They’ll get used to it. It won’t be done unless it’s better.

     

    EDIT: Besides, if they were going to do that, why go through all the trouble of bringing out a new Mac Pro, a possible rMBA next year, and maybe a Retina iMac next month? 


     

    I don’t think you understand. That all substantiates what I’ve said.

     

    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

    Judging by his later reply I don't think he knows what a live tile is

     

    I don’t think you know what an ad is.

  • Reply 108 of 214
    WinBOX One OSX360 Home
    WinBOX One OSX360 Professional
    WinBOX One OSX360 Home Premium
    WinBOX One OSX360 SUPER Professional 2015
    WinBOX One OSX360 Home Premium CLOUD
  • Reply 109 of 214
    jfanning wrote: »
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    From a 'corporate' point of view(that's what Im stuck with at work) -  increase boot time (windows is a dog to boot and shutdown), retina display type support (tired of these fuzzy screens, compared to my iphone, MBP etc). And don't allow McAfee to protect from the infinite antivirus etc (McAfee hogs/bogs the system).

    If a windows machine takes longer than 15 seconds to boot there is something wrong with it. What fuzzy screen, Windows can support high resolutions and the display from them is not fuzzy. McAfee is a third party, if you install their client tools, then you are the fool, not Microsoft

    Where in the world have you found a Windows machine that boots in less than five minutes?
  • Reply 110 of 214

    The slide looks like some sanity has returned. I've thankfully never had to use Windows 8 because all the PCs at work still run (or have been downgraded to) Windows 7 and most larger companies using Windows seem to have done the same.

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

     

    Does this remind anyone else of Word 2.0 jumping to Word 6.0 because WordPerfect was at 6.0?


     

    Actually, I thought the version numbering had more to do with matching up with the Mac version, and unifying the file formats for both platforms (and gimping the Mac version of Word just in time for the Windows95 launch).

  • Reply 111 of 214
    Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

    WinBOX One

  • Reply 112 of 214
    I'm guessing not. Because that would break backward compatability with a heap of stuff, probably including MS Office.

    You think Microsoft wouldn’t update their own software to accompany a new OS?! 
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">What makes you so sure that OS XI will be out in four years, if at all?</span>

    Roughly four years. I don’t see mouse+keyboard computers being sold by Apple by 2020.

    You're probably right.

    I guess it'll be Magic Trackpad and keyboard.
  • Reply 113 of 214

    The Japanese aren’t going to be happy knowing that Windows 8’s successor comes out a year from now.

     

    They’re only halfway through installing Windows 8.1!

  • Reply 114 of 214
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

     

     

    Actually, I thought the version numbering had more to do with matching up with the Mac version, and unifying the file formats for both platforms (and gimping the Mac version of Word just in time for the Windows95 launch).


    Yeah, there are a number of reasons cited, but I think the WordPerfect angle is pretty convenient, WP was still at least as good as word until Word 6.0 came out.

     

    Those were the days, huh? Lotus 1-2-3. ofmg

  • Reply 115 of 214
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post





    Where in the world have you found a Windows machine that boots in less than five minutes?



    The one I'm using currently. 

  • Reply 116 of 214
    Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

    The one I'm using currently. 

     

    Not even my Mac Pro is usable in five minutes after booting.

     

    That’s not even counting the FORCED SLEEP AND WAKE I have to do to get the OS to recognize my Radeon 4870. It boots to 640x480 every single time. Sleep and wake and it magically realizes it should be outputting 2560x1440.

     

    I bet that we won’t even be able to hack together a driver for it at all in Windows 10… Great.

  • Reply 117 of 214
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Not even my Mac Pro is usable in five minutes after booting.

     

    That’s not even counting the FORCED SLEEP AND WAKE I have to do to get the OS to recognize my Radeon 4870. It boots to 640x480 every single time. Sleep and wake and it magically realizes it should be outputting 2560x1440.

     

    I bet that we won’t even be able to hack together a driver for it at all in Windows 10… Great.


     

    LOL.. I just tested my win8 box.  Cold boot to logged in in 32 seconds - that's bios, windows startup, and actually at the desktop.

     

    You have issues.

  • Reply 118 of 214
    Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

    Cold boot to logged in in 32 seconds - that's bios, windows startup, and actually at the desktop.


     

    Hardware setup? 5200 RPM, 7200 RPM, or SSD? Amount of RAM?

     



    You have issues. 


     

    None of which are in any way relevant to the argument at hand. Try again.

  • Reply 119 of 214
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,330member
    This looks like a horrendous mashup of Win 7 8, with the start menu combining both styles.

    Microsoft has learned absolutely nothing. Skipping a version number won't help. Also, it look early as hell. Shipping late 2015? Wow.
  • Reply 120 of 214

    Oh, and MSFT is opening a "flagship" store in Manhattan. Perfect.

Sign In or Register to comment.