Apple expected to hold iPad & Retina iMac event on Oct. 16

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 184
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Every time TS accuses someone of not reading a kitten dies.  He really has it in for those kittens.

Screw cats; reading’s great.*As seen on a poster at your local inner city high school*

• Reply 182 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Every time TS accuses someone of not reading a kitten dies.  He really has it in for those kittens.

Screw cats; reading’s great.*As seen on a poster at your local inner city high school*

I would come up with some witty, catty reply, but I can't think of one.

• Reply 183 of 184
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I would come up with some witty, catty reply, but I can't think of one.

I've always liked those you mama so fat jokes.

Yo mama so fat she left the house in high heels and when she came back she had on flip flops.

Yo mama so fat she sat on an iPhone and turned it into an iPad

Yo mama so fat she went to KFC to get a bucket of chicken they asked her what size and she said the one on the roof

Yo momma so fat she sued xbox 360 for guessing her weight

yo mama so fat that she dont need the internet she's already world wide

Yo mama so fat that when I ran out of gas trying to drive around her.

yo mama so fat that she gave draclua diabeties

Your mama so fat, when she twerk, she became a wrecking ball.

Yo mama so fat shes on both sides of the family

Yo mama so fat, everytime she walks she does the harlem shake

Yo Momma so fat, I bumped into her and said "Sorry, my mistake." And she said "Did you just say steak?!"

Yo Mama So Fat she has mass whether the Higgs Boson exists or not.

Yo mama so fat when she sat on a dollar bill she squeezed a booger out of George Washingtons nose

Yo mama so fat all she wanted for christmas is to see her feet

Yo mama so fat she went to Mcdonalds tripped over Burger King and landed on Wendy's!

Yo mama so fat that when she fell down the stairs, I wasn't laughing but the stairs were cracking up.

Yo mama so fat she has two watches one for each time zone she's in.

Yo mamas so fat when she stepped on the scale, the doctor said "Holy Crap, That's My Phone Number"

yo mama so greasy and fat she uses bacon as a bandaid

Yo mama so fat she ate a whole Pizza....Hut.

Yo mama so fat I use her as a queen size matress and she doesn't even know it

Yo momma so fat Burger King hired her because she eats cows and shits hamburgers.

Yo mama so fat that even Dora couldn't explore her

Yo Mama so fat, that she gets free WiFi. Because she's already world wide

Yo mama so fat, she's "Large, Single, and ready to Pringle."

Your Mama so fat that when she wore a blue dress everybody thought that the "sky was fallin"

Yo momma so fat Joran van der Sloot couldn't make her body disappear.

yo Mama so fat her job with Hostess is why they went out of business
  • Reply 184 of 184
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

And I disagree. There's no liability whatsoever to adding an additional way to interact with the computer. Nothing prevents you from continuing to use the mouse or keyboard if you prefer them. For cases where it's easier to just touch the screen, you'd have that option. Obviously there's room for touch to do much more, but that doesn't mean it's "wrong" to simply provide another way to do what you can already do now. There is no downside.

You are right that nothing prevents you from using other input methods, but that's not my argument here. I'm coming at this from Apple's perspective - from the perspective of a product designer. 

Apple take a minimalist approach to design. When they add a major new feature (like a touch screen), they think carefully about the end user; they consider how to maximise the value of that new addition. As Apple themselves often say, they are generally in the business of removing features or ideas rather than adding them.

Again, I feel the need to come back to the example of the iPhone. Perhaps I should compare an iPhone to one of those old-fashioned feature phones that had lots of buttons. Look at what Apple did there; they didn't just carelessly throw a touch screen on an existing form factor - they changed the form factor itself so that it was sympathetic to touch control

The form factor changed, the OS interface changed. These changes were made so that touch would be genuinely useful, and so that it would be the core of the experience.

Yes, you could just add touch to an iMac (for example) - but you aren't solving any problems by doing this. At least, you aren't solving problems for the majority of users - and that's the key point that we keep missing here I think.

What you end up doing is driving up the price of the product and confusing many users simply so that a few very specific use cases can be satisfied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

?! You QUOTED the examples I cited directly above where you wrote this question!

I also explained why I don't think they are terribly valid examples - they are valid for your very specific set of professional tasks, but that's a bit of a red herring in the context of a consumer product.

Quote:

Here's another, really, really, basic one. Below is a list of items for sale on Craigslist. Your eyes zero in on the one you want to open. What's quicker, more natural and easier: reaching for the mouse and clicking on the link, or just touching it on the screen with your finger?

Now obviously using the mouse is not a hardship and that use on its own may not justify the cost and effort required to implement touch tech, but it illustrates a more general point: that selecting is more naturally accomplished without the need for an intermediate tool.

If touch capability were common, you'd see web and app developers start making their product interfaces easier to poke around. I have no doubt that we'd see reasons for touch that you and I haven't thought of, as developers find ways to make their products easier to understand and operate. If nothing else, it would be a great step towards making web site and app interfaces more similar across mobile and desktop devices.

In the above example - that's very, very debatable. I've used interfaces like this, and they are cumbersome at best. The mouse is much more precise for those kinds of selections/actions, I think.

To put it another way, I don't think a use case like that is enough to justify adding touch to the existing product as-is.

I feel like we are conflating issues here though. If you are arguing for touch control in general, then I agree with you. In many cases, it is more natural than a mouse. As I said earlier, I have a Surface with Windows 8.1 and it works really well as a kind of hybrid system (that is, using touch and keyboard primarily and then using mouse on occasion).

What's interesting is that I use the mouse both for precision work, and also for legacy UI - a bit like the example you mentioned above! :-)

I use touch control for touch UI - for areas of the OS that are touch-friendly, where it makes sense.

Quote:

Even if nothing new ever developed, which is unimaginable, simply being able to flip through photos, web pages and files with swipes, select and scroll with touches, touch-and-hold for a loupe, and zoom with pinches would, for me, be enough reason to have it.

That's fine, but to bring this full-circle...I wouldn't want to do these things on the existing form factor. I'd have to pull my iMac very close to me (to the edge of the desk) and then the screen would be perpendicular to my body, so my arm would be raised the whole time. Again, this may be comfortable for you...but I guarantee, it's probably very awkward for most users (and others in this thread have reflected that). Ergonomically, it's not good product design for a consumer product. Apple are unlikely to follow this approach.

However, let me just re-emphasise that I really wouldn't mind Apple's version of a bigger Surface for the desktop, where I can angle the screen down appropriately and where the interface is natively touch-friendly. I'm a believer in touch control and I think it can (and has been) a game changer for many people.

But I also know the difference between Apple and Samsung, in the sense that Samsung are more likely to do what you're suggesting here - that is, to just throw the feature onto an existing product without considering a deep integration.

I think Apple are likely to consider that deep integration. So, apart from the fact that I wouldn't want the product you are suggesting, I think it's unlikely anyway for the reasons I've outlined.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

The new Acer Aspire R7 is just one example of how form factor can change to accommodate touch functionality properly (whether or not you choose to use a stylus).