Apple expected to hold iPad & Retina iMac event on Oct. 16

Comments

• Reply 101 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if the new iMac will have Beats speakers?

No, the iMac needs better speakers.

Edit: HP all in ones already have Beats speakers

Not for much longer. :p

• Reply 102 of 184
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ouch! :)

• Reply 103 of 184

Honestly Apple is rarely the first out of the gate with something that bleeding edge. 5K and TB 1.3?

It just opens them up to too many possible bugs and glitches which is what users seem to flock to Apple to avoid.

As far as target display, that would be nice, but I was more talking about the new iMac hopefully also being a platform for an updated Apple monitor for the NMP.  It just sucks that there really is no matching display for their 'flagship' computing product. Such as the ACD with the old Mac Pro.

I'm sure I am not the only one 'making do' with a mere HD display until Apple releases a new UHD or 4k monitor. Or I settle for an Asus or LG.

At least the LG has TB2.

• Reply 104 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Indeed no touchscreen, please - what a ludicrous idea.

I knew you lacked the ability to think positively, but I had no idea you also lacked imagination and respect for the views of others.

Saying "I can't think of a way that touchscreen would enhance my experience" would be fine. It puts the focus on your preferences. Calling it "ludicrous" is a direct insult to those who are able to appreciate the value of adding another way to interact with the device and perform tactile operations that are simply not possible AT ALL with mouse/trackpad.

An apology whenever it's convenient for you will be cheerfully accepted.

• Reply 105 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Indeed no touchscreen, please - what a ludicrous idea.

I knew you lacked the ability to think positively, but I had no idea you also lacked imagination and respect for the views of others.

Saying "I can't think of a way that touchscreen would enhance my experience" would be fine. It puts the focus on your preferences. Calling it "ludicrous" is a direct insult to those who are able to appreciate the value of adding another way to interact with the device and perform tactile operations that are simply not possible AT ALL with mouse/trackpad.

An apology whenever it's convenient for you will be cheerfully accepted.

I'm getting slightly drunk, so I’ll give you his rightful non-apology on his behalf.

I'm quite sure that Steve Jobs would have happily described a touchscreen Mac as ludicrous, and so should you.

I look forward to receiving acknowledgment of the foolishness emanating from your heart in due course.

• Reply 106 of 184
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The iPod had a 50% decline year over year since 2013. They've dropped the Classic now. The iPad outsells it by about 5:1. What's the use case for a big iPod that negates the use of an iPad Mini? In portable use cases, the phone has replaced the iPod so it's for scenarios where you'd be in a fixed location for gaming, reading, browsing, social media etc so why would you choose a 5.5" display over a 7.9" display?

If they update the iPod line at all, it makes sense to move to the same styling as the iPhone but I could see them just dropping the line entirely to promote the Watch and Beats. If it's not this year, it will be soon. Due to the added cost of the 5.5" display, I don't expect that size in the iPod.

The Shuffle hasn't been updated for 4 years.

The Nano hasn't been updated for 2 years.

The iPod Touch hasn't been updated for 2 years. It was just a price cut last year.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/27/ipod-declining-category/

They mentioned controlling music from the Watch so that's a new music player category but the Watch is not going to sell in large numbers either. Beats will likely be the main focus for music along with the associated services.

It is crazy but you seem to be right. Apple will kill off the iPod.

Shame. As the iPod does make sense in the new Continuity paradigm.

The current iPod touch is still Apple's finest design in the sub 5 inch category.

It would sell like hotcakes if they ...

1. (finally) update the camera

2. (finally) update the chip

3. add the M chip

4. add touch ID

5. add ? pay (like the ? watch)

With Wifi getting ubiquitous, an iPod (touch) is a smart choice. And continuity is going to bring the iPod - like the ? watch - to a whole new level.

Seriously, I cannot see why Apple would not want to continue their iPod legacy. Especially with their renewed interest in the music industry (beats acquisition). It doesn't make sense to me. I am sorry Tim Cook, I beg to differ. The iPod is NOT a declining business with Continuity around the corner. Well, on the contrary ...

• Reply 107 of 184
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope 8.1 fixes the UI glitches present in 8.0.2. I noticed in the iBooks app the MyBooks tab has a dark theme but the rest of the tabs are white. Though sometimes if you go in and out of a book the MyBooks view will be white and not dark. Very weird. It does make me wonder if Apple is messing with a dark mode option ala Yosemite. I think it's a good idea though not sure what impact that would have on battery life since Apple isn't using OLED displays. But for now it needs to be removed as it's totally out of place in the iBooks app.
  • Reply 108 of 184
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm quite sure that Steve Jobs would have happily described a touchscreen Mac as ludicrous, and so should you.

A touchscreen Jonathan, however...

• Reply 109 of 184
    Quote:

A touchscreen Jonathan, however...

Why so reasonable?

Several years ago when Jobs made that remark, he was no doubt correct. But it may well be that now it is much easier and more economical to introduce touchscreen into Macs. But it's still never going to be more than a niche thing, particularly on a desktop. 

I think that if Apple were to bring in touchscreen, they would, I hope, get the focus right. So on a Mac, the focus would be on optimising for mouse/trackpad input with very simple touch options, as opposed to an iPad, where the focus is on optimising the interface for touch. And therefore, were there to be any amalgamation of OS X and iOS, there would still need to be separate interfaces designed for each platform, even if they were made Universal ala iOS.

Stating the obvious, perhaps, but having seen a demo of Office for Surface, where the desktop interface was mindlessly transposed onto the tablet, not obvious to everyone.

• Reply 110 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Anyway, a 5.5 video player and all-purpose computer should not, you're right, be placed in the declining iPod category. It more belongs in the iPad category, and then it has to compete with the mini, which Apple is not afraid to try, IMO. May the best use-case win.

Anything below 5 inch is an iPod.

Anything above 5 inch is an iPad.

I agree, a 5.5 inch iPad nano does make sense.

• Reply 111 of 184
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mr o wrote: »

It is crazy but you seem to be right. Apple will kill off the iPod.

Shame. As the iPod does make sense in the new Continuity paradigm.

The current iPod touch is still Apple's finest design in the sub 5 inch category.
    It would sell like hotcakes if they ...
    1. (finally) update the camera
    2. (finally) update the chip
    3. add the M chip
    4. add touch ID
    5. add ? pay (like the ? watch)

With Wifi getting ubiquitous, an iPod (touch) is a smart choice. And continuity is going to bring the iPod - like the ? watch - to a whole new level.

Seriously, I cannot see why Apple would not want to continue their iPod legacy. Especially with their renewed interest in the music industry (beats acquisition). It doesn't make sense to me. I am sorry Tim Cook, I beg to differ. The iPod is NOT a declining business with Continuity around the corner. Well, on the contrary ...

Where does Tim Cook say they're killing off all the iPods? I only heard him say sales were declining, but was there any breakdown on which models? Don't think so.
  • Reply 112 of 184
    azzaazza Posts: 1member

I'm very keen to buy a new iMac (my MBP is blowing up several times a day) but I'm confused about whether I should wait for the retina display iMac or just go with a top end current version. 

As I mainly do web development and a small amount of graphic work, would there be any advantage for me getting a retina iMac?

• Reply 113 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Quote:

Anyway, a 5.5 video player and all-purpose computer should not, you're right, be placed in the declining iPod category. It more belongs in the iPad category, and then it has to compete with the mini, which Apple is not afraid to try, IMO. May the best use-case win.

Anything below 5 inch is an iPod.

Anything above 5 inch is an iPad.

I agree, a 5.5 inch iPad nano does make sense.

No.

Anything below 9.7" is an iPhone, iPod or iPad mini. Anything 9.7" or more is an iPad.

• Reply 114 of 184
    Quote:

Where does Tim Cook say they're killing off all the iPods? I only heard him say sales were declining, but was there any breakdown on which models? Don't think so.

I hope you'e right.

The iPod is indeed a declining business as it is still using a chip and a camera from yesteryear. Its decline has been manufactured.

I find it strange that people don't see a future for the iPod while the iPad is actually like an iPod, only bigger (and updated with the latest technology). The smart money is actually on the iPod if it would benefit from the same technology as the iPhone. Here's hoping that Continuity and the beats acquisition throw a lifeline for the iPod Legacy.

• Reply 115 of 184
    Quote:

No.

Anything below 9.7" is an iPhone, iPod or iPad mini. Anything 9.7" or more is an iPad.

Actually, anything is going to be an iPhone with Continuity. Even your 15" Macbook Pro.

I think Swift and Continuity are Apple's biggest breakthrough innovations of 2014. It signals a paradigm shift. It's HUGE, even more so than the 6+

• Reply 116 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

Better be a frickin update to the Mac Mini!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

Mac Mini??? Please??? :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also would like to see new Mac Minis at the event!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinbak View Post

What about Mac Mini?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGenius91 View Post

I'm looking for a new Mac Mini

APPLE! HEY APPLE! Yeah, Im talking to YOU! What the F**K, Apple?! Seriously! How hard is it to replace the ridiculous 4000-series graphics system in the Mac mini with something current?! A freakin' INTERN can handle it! I don't CARE what wonderful plans you have to make it less useful "sometime in 2015!" Just update the chips in the current design and let us get to work NOW! You're bloody balmy in the bean if you think we're gonna pay full pop for two-year-old guts (or that we're gonna buy ANY desktop computer with Intel 4000 graphics).

This is SO far past the point of any reasonable explanation that it's becoming a parody of itself. Fer the sake of sanity, just GET ON WITH IT!!!

Sent to Apple via the Feedback page. Posted here for no damn good reason whatsoever except maybe hoping for some validation of my frustration.

• Reply 117 of 184
    cashxx wrote: »
    Better be a frickin update to the Mac Mini!
    trubador wrote: »
    Mac Mini??? Please??? :-D
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/182659/apple-expected-to-hold-ipad-retina-imac-event-on-oct-16/40#post_2612496"]

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I also would like to see new Mac Minis at the event!</span>
    reinbak wrote: »
    What about Mac Mini?

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I'm looking for a new Mac Mini</span>

APPLE! HEY APPLE! Yeah, Im talking to YOU! What the F**K, Apple?! Seriously! How hard is it to replace the ridiculous 4000-series graphics system in the Mac mini with something current?! A freakin' INTERN can handle it! I don't CARE what wonderful plans you have to make it less useful "sometime in 2015!" Just update the chips in the current design and let us get to work NOW! You're bloody balmy in the bean if you think we're gonna pay full pop for two-year-old guts (or that we're gonna buy ANY desktop computer with Intel 4000 graphics).

This is SO far past the point of any reasonable explanation that it's becoming a parody of itself. Fer the sake of sanity, just GET ON WITH IT!!!

Sent to Apple via the Feedback page. Posted here for no damn good reason whatsoever except maybe hoping for some validation of my frustration.

Calm down.

I'm sure Apple would love to fulfil your wishes concerning the Mac mini.

They can't afford it.
  • Reply 118 of 184

They can't afford it.

It’s a rainy, overcast evening. Tim Cook sits at the dinner table with Jony Ive, a single light above them, pouring over papers. Phil Schiller sleepily walk in wearing footy pajamas.

“Tim?”

“Yes, Phil?”

“Can we have a new Mac Mini this year?”

Tim gives a significant look to Jony, who chokes back tears as he replies

“I’m sorry, Phil. There’s just not enough aluminium in the budget this year…”

• Reply 119 of 184
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Not for much longer. :p

The HP will just make a deal with another manufacture, not a big deal. I was never impressed with the external audio for most of the devices that had supposedly premium speakers installed. Just a gimick, nothing more.
  • Reply 120 of 184
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Was thinking the same thing (about the beats burn) - except I don't think the iMac needs better speakers. Some nice Apple-branded external speakers that didn't look disgusting (as 99% of them do) that some how attached the macmight be nice though, though the attach part seems far-fetched.

Or perhaps a sound-bar in the chin, though its probably too damn thin to sound good