Apple expected to hold iPad & Retina iMac event on Oct. 16

Comments

• Reply 121 of 184
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Though sometimes if you go in and out of a book the MyBooks view will be white and not dark.

I noticed this too. If you tap on the "aA" button in the top right there is a new setting "Auto-Night Theme" which makes it use the dark view if you are reading in the wee small hours. But I'm not sure if it's using the clock to tell or the ambient light sensor. 

• Reply 122 of 184
    A 5K thunderbolt display seems plausible, if they update the iMac. I'm sure Apple would rather sell their own branded display rather than someone else's on their store (Sharp) for the pro users.
  • Reply 123 of 184
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I find it strange that people don't see a future for the iPod while the iPad is actually like an iPod, only bigger (and updated with the latest technology). The smart money is actually on the iPod if it would benefit from the same technology as the iPhone. Here's hoping that Continuity and the beats acquisition throw a lifeline for the iPod Legacy.

yes, but wouldnt an Ipod that has all the same features as the 6+ (for example) be nearly the same exact price as an iphone (minus just the GSM chip)?

And if so, wouldnt they need to charge an exorbitant price for it (since it cant be subsidized by a contract)?

• Reply 124 of 184
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm quite sure that Steve Jobs would have happily described a touchscreen Mac as ludicrous, and so should you.

I look forward to receiving acknowledgment of the foolishness emanating from your heart in due course.

Please stop fucking talking for Steve Jobs, and dragging hum out of his grave whenever it suits your agenda. You don't have a fucking clue what Steve Jobs would say about anything in 2014. Stop pretending you do, as a fact, and insulting the intelligence of everyone on this board. 

One thing anyone can be sure of is what Steve would have thought of someone like you who has taken every opportunity to cheerlead, prop up, and validate every manufactured "fiasco" (ie. "bendgate") in order to smear Apple and Tim Cook. So please, spare us your sanctimonious bullshit, and stop speaking for Steve, or pretending you have more insight about him than those that worked with him intimately for decades. It's frankly, disgusting. 

• Reply 125 of 184
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Please stop fucking talking for Steve Jobs, and dragging hum out of his grave whenever it suits your agenda. 

You raise a good point here. Also, it's worth noting that Steve Jobs actually changed his mind on numerous things over the years (I'm not cynical about this either - I think he literally did change his view based on change of circumstances and new evidence); so the whole idea of talking about what he would or would not endorse today is, as you say, pretty ludicrous.

In regard to iMac, I'm looking forward to seeing a new model (despite having just bought a new one!) - but I'm hoping for a change to the form factor.

On the question of a touch screen iMac; there's nothing inherently anti-Apple about this idea, but I think the key point is that it just doesn't make sense right now. That is, it doesn't make sense unless you have iOS on the machine (does it make much sense for Yosemite? I'd say the answer is an emphatic "no"). You would also need to consider a change in form factor to make this workable in a comfortable way.

But yes, certainly, the idea itself isn't unwarranted.

Either way, new iMacs = me happy. ;-)

• Reply 126 of 184
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm quite sure that Steve Jobs would have happily described a touchscreen Mac as ludicrous, and so should you.

I look forward to receiving acknowledgment of the foolishness emanating from your heart in due course.

Please stop fucking talking for Steve Jobs, and dragging hum out of his grave whenever it suits your agenda. You don't have a fucking clue what Steve Jobs would say about anything in 2014. Stop pretending you do, as a fact, and insulting the intelligence of everyone on this board. 

One thing anyone can be sure of is what Steve would have thought of someone like you- a troll who has taken every opportunity to cheerlead, prop up, and validate every manufactured "fiasco" (ie. "bendgate") in order to smear Apple and Tim Cook. So please, spare us your sanctimonious bullshit, and stop speaking for Steve, or pretending you have more insight about him than those that worked with him intimately for decades. It's frankly, disgusting. 

Calm down.
  • Reply 127 of 184
    ingsoc wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »
    Please stop fucking talking for Steve Jobs, and dragging hum out of his grave whenever it suits your agenda. 
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>

You raise a good point here. Also, it's worth noting that Steve Jobs actually changed his mind on numerous things over the years (I'm not cynical about this either - I think he literally did change his view based on change of circumstances and new evidence); so the whole idea of talking about what he would or would not endorse today is, as you say, pretty ludicrous.

In regard to iMac, I'm looking forward to seeing a new model (despite having just bought a new one!) - but I'm hoping for a change to the form factor.

On the question of a touch screen iMac; there's nothing inherently anti-Apple about this idea, but I think the key point is that it just doesn't make sense right now. That is, it doesn't make sense unless you have iOS on the machine (does it make much sense for Yosemite? I'd say the answer is an emphatic "no"). You would also need to consider a change in form factor to make this workable in a comfortable way.

But yes, certainly, the idea itself isn't unwarranted.

Either way, new iMacs = me happy. ;-)

Precisely.

Touchscreen Macs would be ludicrous, as Steve Jobs would no doubt have described it.
  • Reply 128 of 184
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Precisely.

Touchscreen Macs would be ludicrous, as Steve Jobs would no doubt have described it.

That's not what I said; I wasn't rejecting the idea of a touch screen Mac. I believe you are drawing a rather long bow there. :-)
  • Reply 129 of 184
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    canukstorm wrote: »

I don't think so.  I was under the impression that the TouchID secure enclave was "baked" onto the A7 / A8 SoC.  If that's the case, you won't see Macs with TouchID until they (if they) adopt Apple's custom ARM chips.

Right. Isn't that the whole point of Handoff?
  • Reply 130 of 184
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

yes, but wouldnt an Ipod that has all the same features as the 6+ (for example) be nearly the same exact price as an iphone (minus just the GSM chip)?

And if so, wouldnt they need to charge an exorbitant price for it (since it cant be subsidized by a contract)?

Well, the iPad mini is considerably cheaper than an unsubsidized iPhone.

The iPod should have at least the same technology/features as the iPad. 

• Reply 131 of 184
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

It takes a special kind of tool to repeat the "Steve Jobs would have" line, right after you've been taken to task for it, and after it's been explained to you why it's a disgusting, dishonest, and fruitless tactic. You didn't understand or appreciate a damned word of my post, did you? You're quite the specimen. With "fans" like you who take every opportunity to kick the company in the teeth, Apple doesn't need enemies. 

• Reply 132 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

It takes a special kind of tool to repeat the "Steve Jobs would have" line, right after you've been taken to task for it, and after it's been explained to you why it's a disgusting, dishonest, and fruitless tactic. You didn't understand or appreciate a damned word of my post, did you? You're quite the specimen. With "fans" like you who take every opportunity to kick the company in the teeth, Apple doesn't need enemies. 

Calm down.

• Reply 133 of 184
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    As far as I can tell, Dalrymple hasn't "Nope"d this date yet. It does seem odd to do it on a Thursday, though. Although I suppose they could be trying to shake themselves out of a pattern.

As for the discussion on the idea of a touchscreen iMac, it really doesn't make much sense. It's a really bad ergonomic design. I'm not an expert, but the best position for working seems to be looking straight ahead, with hands on the desk in front. Using a touch interface where the screen is best positioned is uncomfortable and would lead to potential strain injuries in the arms. Moving the screen to the best position for a touch interface leads to a hunched posture which is bad for the neck and shoulders. (Try typing for any appreciable length of time with your iPad flat, or even slightly raised by the smart cover, on the desk in front of you.)

Touchscreen computers have their uses, obviously, but prolonged desktop usage isn't one of them. At least not until someone comes up with a better design than we currently have.
  • Reply 134 of 184
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

As far as I can tell, Dalrymple hasn't "Nope"d this date yet. It does seem odd to do it on a Thursday, though. Although I suppose they could be trying to shake themselves out of a pattern.

As for the discussion on the idea of a touchscreen iMac, it really doesn't make much sense. It's a really bad ergonomic design. I'm not an expert, but the best position for working seems to be looking straight ahead, with hands on the desk in front. Using a touch interface where the screen is best positioned is uncomfortable and would lead to potential strain injuries in the arms. Moving the screen to the best position for a touch interface leads to a hunched posture which is bad for the neck and shoulders. (Try typing for any appreciable length of time with your iPad flat, or even slightly raised by the smart cover, on the desk in front of you.)

Touchscreen computers have their uses, obviously, but prolonged desktop usage isn't one of them. At least not until someone comes up with a better design than we currently have.

Touchscreen makes no sense, but quantum dot display would be awesome.

• Reply 135 of 184

Got the hint, Slurpy?

As several have pointed out here, touchscreen Macs=ludicrous, and however much you hate it, Jobs would have echoed that sentiment.

Don't worry; it's okay to be wrong.

• Reply 136 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

touchscreen Macs=ludicrous

You’ll want to review my sentiment. It’s a subtle change that disagrees with your thoughts.

• Reply 137 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

touchscreen Macs=ludicrous

You’ll want to review my sentiment. It’s a subtle change that disagrees with your thoughts.

Sure; I like your idea, but the application of touchscreen to the current paradigm is what is referred to at the moment by touchscreen. Ie, what Microsoft have done and other Windows laptops incorporating it.

• Reply 138 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Sure; I like your idea, but the application of touchscreen to the current paradigm is what is referred to at the moment by touchscreen. Ie, what Microsoft have done and other Windows laptops incorporating it.

Since when does Apple just create a new copy of something that already exists?

• Reply 139 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since when does Apple just create a new copy of something that already exists?

Well, quite. But were they to introduce touchscreen to the kind of work that is currently done on a desktop or laptop, it would effectively be a new kind of computer, not a Mac as we know it, Spock.

• Reply 140 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I kinda wish Apple would release a MacBook with a touchscreen. Not because I think it's be a particularly good product, but just to shut you two up.