Apple expected to hold iPad & Retina iMac event on Oct. 16

Comments

• Reply 61 of 184
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Well, the best speaker was always Steve Jobs, so there's not much Apple can do about that.

The fingerprint issue will probably be resolved by keeping the iMac non-toucscreen, so that you don't need to put your fingerprints on it.

Indeed no touchscreen, please - what a ludicrous idea.

• Reply 62 of 184
    If the new iMac has 2 or more Thunderbolt 2 ports, I'm in!
  • Reply 63 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamh View Post

Two people quickly observed what I forgot, which is the secure enclave.  I suppose they could use an ARM coprocessor or they'd have to implement it another way.  Continuity is a great idea for payments but I don't know if it would address authenticating to the computer in the first place.  In any case, I think you successfully quashed my idea for a touch id on the desktop.

By the way, I would have put it on the Magic Trackpad for the desktops.  Yes, there would be a problem securing the path between the trackpad and the computer.

Authenticate to the Device... Again, why not proximity of an iPhone?  Instead of a Co-Processor, put an iBeacon in the macbookpro/air/mini/imac.  You walk up to the computer and your phone buzzes, 'ya wanna login to that sweet beastie doncha now?"  TouchID (something you have, something you are) and you're screen saver pops open.

you guys all think like the computer is the center of the world.  

Apple puts YOU at the center of the world.

• Reply 64 of 184
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Bring on the Retina iMac. I'm in the market for a new Mac, would love to make this my next one.

• Reply 65 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Authenticate to the Device... Again, why not proximity of an iPhone?  Instead of a Co-Processor, put an iBeacon in the macbookpro/air/mini/imac.  You walk up to the computer and your phone buzzes, 'ya wanna login to that sweet beastie doncha now?"  TouchID (something you have, something you are) and you're screen saver pops open.

The way AirDrop works should be sufficient enough. Maybe even dial up the signal strength requirement so that the device w/ Touch ID doing the authenticating needs to be within a few feet.

Bluetooth alone is capable of establishing this.

• Reply 66 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Where would you put the Touch ID?

Macbook Pro/Air - next to the trackpad would make sense.

iMac - mouse? trackpad? keyboard? chin?

Mac mini - mouse? trackpad? keyboard?

All you need is the ability to authenticate from Touch ID on your iPhone, and pass that along to the Mac. It can be done. Securely. All the processing is done on the iPhone...the wireless communication is just for establishing proximity, and sending a Yes or No.

• Reply 67 of 184
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

+travel costs for when you need to go to an Apple Store to replace it due to bending.

Quote:

And bending it for the other 20 minutes.

Oh please!  Enough already!

You've made your point...about twenty or thirty times, I think,

and by the numbers of phones bent "in the wild" as opposed to

intentional abuse, it isn't a valid point after all!

So...unless you are going to start labeling those posts as sarcasm,

kindly turn your considerable intellect to better uses.

(I would have labelled that, but it wasn't sarcastic ;-)          )

• Reply 68 of 184
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The latter won’t happen unless the former has H.265 support.

IT BETTER HAVE H.265 SUPPORT.

I’d also love for it to have an nVidia 9xx series chip so that I can get a 970 for my Mac Pro.

Which current dGPUs have H.265 decoders/encoders built-in?

Adding the A8 SoC onto a custom board should not be a problem. We already have AMD Opteron + ARM Seattle chips server motherboards being tested by OEMs.
  • Reply 69 of 184
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    Last year's iPad product refresh made the mistake of recycling the previous year's form factors and screen technology. As for the iPad Air, it is basically a stretched iPad Mini with Retina Display. This year, for the iPhone 6 models, at least, the iPhone 6 Plus isn't simply a stretched out iPhone, as its screen resolution also got a boost. If the design of the iPhone 6 Plus is a lesson learned from the mistake of the iPad Air, then we can assume that all three iPad sizes will come in three respective resolutions. Hopefully, also, this time around, they will also use the newer screen technologies found in both iPhone 6 models, enabling a brighter picture, darker blacks, more saturated colors, higher contrast levels, wider viewing angles, and a thinner form factor. Besides the finger print sensor and the A8 processor, we should also expect the M8 motion coprocessor with the barometer, all the new camera improvements, 2GB RAM (this has been leaked), AC wi-fi, NFC, and form factor tweaks.
  • Reply 70 of 184

They will probably use the 3D proximity sensors developed by PrimeSense (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PrimeSense) in the next generation model (after the one they will announce later this month) and the iPhone 6S. In fact, this follows a pattern of Apple incorpating acquired technologies in the "S" models of iPhones. The 4S introduced Siri and the 5S introduced Authentech's fingerprint sensor (Touch ID). Each of these companies were acquired for around $400 million.
  • Reply 71 of 184
    Anyone notice that your Apple TV now "rings" through the TV speakers when your iPhone rings in this latest iOS update?
  • Reply 72 of 184
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    peteralt wrote: »
    Last year's iPad product refresh made the mistake of recycling the previous year's form factors and screen technology. As for the iPad Air, it is basically a stretched iPad Mini with Retina Display. This year, for the iPhone 6 models, at least, the iPhone 6 Plus isn't simply a stretched out iPhone, as its screen resolution also got a boost. If the design of the iPhone 6 Plus is a lesson learned from the mistake of the iPad Air, then we can assume that all three iPad sizes will come in three respective resolutions. Hopefully, also, this time around, they will also use the newer screen technologies found in both iPhone 6 models, enabling a brighter picture, darker blacks, more saturated colors, higher contrast levels, wider viewing angles, and a thinner form factor. Besides the finger print sensor and the A8 processor, we should also expect the M8 motion coprocessor with the barometer, all the new camera improvements, 2GB RAM (this has been leaked), AC wi-fi, NFC, and form factor tweaks.
    All three iPads? What's the third?
  • Reply 73 of 184
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If the only update to iPads is Touch ID and A8 then I'll probably sit this one out. Not much of an improvement over the Air. I hope they have some surprises up their sleeve, like better displays (similar to what they use on iPhones), iPad specific software improvements etc. if the updates are minor I think iPad will suffer, especially now with the iPhone 6 in the mix.

not much of an improvement from what? if i have an older iPad, these are great improvements. but over last year's model? i don't think anybody in their right mind expects normal consumers to upgrade their iPads annually. iterative improvement is the name of the game. 

• Reply 74 of 184
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It's interesting that they now put the iPad and iMac together in an event, with the iPhone separate. Their phone is something people upgrade nearly every year, but their computer or tablet is something they only upgrade every few years. In terms of form factor you'd think the iPhone and iPad belong together, but in other aspects the iPad best fits with the Mac.

• Reply 75 of 184
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Hopefully they release Yosemite when ready. Not on that day. Apples release schedules shouldn't be tied to hardware. Specifically unrelated hardware.

I really hope they do release Yosemite on that day. The Golden Master has shipped. If no major problems, then it should be good to go.

• Reply 76 of 184
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I really hope they do release Yosemite on that day. The Golden Master has shipped. If no major problems, then it should be good to go.

A candidate for GM has shipped.
  • Reply 77 of 184
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    applegreen wrote: »

Where would you put the Touch ID?

Macbook Pro/Air - next to the trackpad would make sense.
    iMac - mouse? trackpad? keyboard? chin?
    Mac mini - mouse? trackpad? keyboard?

I'd put it underneath the "F" or "J" key since they are the natural resting positions for touch typists. However, not everyone wants to start logging in by actually typing something - more often than not, the mouse would be the first input device used (to launch a program)...so maybe top Center of the Magic Mouse would be a good spot.
  • Reply 78 of 184
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Not suggesting there is a chance for any of this but here is my wish list:
    1. 5K iMac
    2. 5K 27" Monitor
    3. New Apple TV
    4. iPad Pro 12"
    5. I liked the idea of using the touch id on all Mac models...
    6. MacPro Update

I would also like to see 4k movies on iTunes

Hey! And how about full cellular voice capabilities on all LTE iPad models - for those who think that 5.5" is still too small? /s
    It would also help to prevent people from stuffing them in a pocket!
  • Reply 79 of 184

I'll be upgrading my iPad 3 - like everyone else, hopefully with TouchID and  2Gb memory and A8s chip!

While I'd like to see 5k iMac's and monitors, I wouldn't get one for another year or so.

I would get an upgraded Time Capsule (Ideally with 5+ Tb storage and of course the new updated "ac" wii-fi)

An updated AppleTV (hopefully with much improved interface and remote along with improved search and all channel listings for live TV.   An ability to use it as a DVR (back to a Mac HD or the Cloud would be good, as would a slingbox type feature to project it all anywhere, anytime.)

• Reply 80 of 184
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's interesting that they now put the iPad and iMac together in an event, with the iPhone separate. Their phone is something people upgrade nearly every year, but their computer or tablet is something they only upgrade every few years. In terms of form factor you'd think the iPhone and iPad belong together, but in other aspects the iPad best fits with the Mac.

Actually, most normal, everyday users upgrade their iPhone every 2 years, when their contract is over,  some even wait 3 years.  I still many iPhone 4S in use.