Samsung Galaxy Note 4 delivers poor graphics performance vs. Apple iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 221 of 244
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

but so far I've seen no evidence that among buyers of Android-based products that they'd rather shop any other OEM but Samsung.

Check the new post today on Samsung's plunging profits perhaps?

• Reply 222 of 244
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    Check the new post today on Samsung's plunging profits perhaps?

I'm aware, but I don't see where there is evidence of Android users moving from Samsung to another OEM using Android because they just found out about Samsung's lack of "self-respect." I think this has to do with other factors with their business model. I also expect that with the new iPhones 6 series that other OEMs will be taking a hit, too.
  • Reply 223 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm aware, but I don't see where there is evidence of Android users moving from Samsung to another OEM using Android because they just found out about Samsung's lack of "self-respect." I think this has to do with other factors with their business model. I also expect that with the new iPhones 6 series that other OEMs will be taking a hit, too.

Yes, I'm sure Apple's new "big" phones will have an impact on everyone, but Samsung is a tainted brand.  From the billion-dollar loss in the copycat lawsuit to the smarmy ads to the continued copying of Apple stuff despite said billion-dollar lawsuit loss (see Galaxy Alpha), the Samsung brand is a damaged brand.  If your company has no self-respect, how can it command the respect of its potential customers?  It can't.

• Reply 224 of 244
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Add to the discussion: what do YOU think is left for your beloved Samsung to explore and become profitable again?

MY beloved Samsung? I thought you paid more attention to my posts than that. I've never been a Samsung proponent, consistently dismissing them as copyists.

Here's how I look at it. There's two Android licensees that actually distinguish themselves from the pack: Motorola and Sony. Rather than add superfluous "me to" features Moto has gone the opposite direction and committed to basically stock Android, which of course allows for exceptionally fast updates pretty much on par with Google Nexus devices. Another smart move is only adding truly useful features to the stock experience with things like Moto Voice, Moto Migrate and Moto Actions among others, setting themselves apart from their competitors. Smarter still, those special Moto features aren't tied directly to the OS, but instead directly updated via Google Play. Improvements and bug fixes can be accomplished quickly, something that's problematic for other licensees.

Sony also keeps their Android skin simple, adding only what they feel adds to the user experience. tjhey too are able to offer OS updates faster than some others. Camera's are top-notch as would be expected and really nice built quality.

So why haven't Sony and Motorola seen the kind of success Samsung has? They simply aren't as effective at marketing. Apple and Samsung are at the top of their games when it comes to promotion, but perhaps Lenovo may have the chops and commitment to jump start the marketing side. .
  • Reply 225 of 244
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So why haven't Sony and Motorola seen the kind of success Samsung has? They simply aren't as effective at marketing. Apple and Samsung are at the top of their games when it comes to promotion, but perhaps Lenovo may have the chops and commitment to jump start the marketing side. .

The question is will any of Samsung's competitors be willing/able to take them on from a marketing budget standpoint?  We're talking about a company that spends billions on advertising.  How does anyone counter that?

Fortunately, as I argued above, Samsung is doing them all a favor by turning their brand into a bit of a joke (the non-stop advertising and overly-obvious celebrity placements/event gimmicks don't help).

• Reply 226 of 244
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    MY beloved Samsung? I thought you paid more attention to my posts than that. I've never been a Samsung proponent, consistently dismissing them as copyists.

Here's how I look at it. There's two Android licensees that actually distinguish themselves from the pack: Motorola and Sony. Rather than add superfluous "me to" features Moto has gone the opposite direction and committed to basically stock Android, which of course allows for exceptionally fast updates pretty much on par with Google Nexus devices. Another smart move is only adding truly useful features to the stock experience with things like Moto Voice, Moto Migrate and Moto Actions among others, setting themselves apart from their competitors. Smarter still, those special Moto features aren't tied directly to the OS, but instead directly updated via Google Play. Improvements and bug fixes can be accomplished quickly, something that's problematic for other licensees.

Sony also keeps their Android skin simple, adding only what they feel adds to the user experience. tjhey too are able to offer OS updates faster than some others. Camera's are top-notch as would be expected and really nice built quality.

100% agree... and I'm embarrassed for the unnecessary snark and apologize for getting it wrong at the same time. :embarrass

Marketing: rather obvious, but I think Samsung has also turned a large number of Android users against themselves for a number of infractions within their own community, not least of which is false advertising and universally hated bloat on any platform.

What would happen if Samsung also went "stock" Android? You think they could still pull the numbers?
  • Reply 227 of 244
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Samsung has been profitable and I suspect they will continue to be profitable as well as the most profitable handset market, still coming in 2nd place. Not as profitable as Apple really shouldn't be a slam. However we feel about Samsung's tactics they have worked for so long that from a business standpoint I have to say that the other OEMs probably should have followed suit.

Followed suit in what way? You're not advocating copying are you?

Regardless of the answer, I'm reading elsewhere that Android users are not looking kindly on Samsung of late; many pointing to bloat and false advertising... but also because many Android fans are preferring Android Pure, meaning stock rather than skinned. Maybe the kids are growing up and don't want to be spending hours with Cyanogen and what have you, and would rather just have a decent well spec'ed, no frills Android phone?
  • Reply 228 of 244
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Regardless of the answer, I'm reading elsewhere that Android users are not looking kindly on Samsung of late; many pointing to bloat and false advertising... but also because many Android fans are preferring Android Pure, meaning stock rather than skinned. Maybe the kids are growing up and don't want to be spending hours with Cyanogen and what have you, and would rather just have a decent well spec'ed, no frills Android phone?

I'm not advocating copying or any other form of unethical behaviour, but I am saying that from a business standpoint their actions seem to have left their Android using competition in the dust. It's been many years and they've made a lot of money. Perhaps now people are finally turning away from Samsung for cheating — which I would like to see — but if the goal is to profit has their unethical behaviour therefore been a means to that end at this point in the game?
  • Reply 229 of 244
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    [QUOTE name="ThePixelDoc" url="/t/182670/samsung-galaxy-note-4-delivers-poor-graphics-performance-vs-apple-iphone-6-plus/200#post_2614262"]

Regardless of the answer, I'm reading elsewhere that Android users are not looking kindly on Samsung of late; many pointing to bloat and false advertising... but also because many Android fans are preferring Android Pure, meaning stock rather than skinned. Maybe the kids are growing up and don't want to be spending hours with Cyanogen and what have you, and would rather just have a decent well spec'ed, no frills Android phone?[/QUOTE]
    Yep, it's about time too, skinned versions of Android are just horrible, specifically Samsung's TouchWiz. Just God awefull crap, they pack so many half assed features into their phones that the system takes up 1GB+ of memory before you even open an app. In comparison, both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 10 only take up 340mb of system memory. Android isn't a memory hog as some here try to make you believe, it's these custom built, skinned monstrosities that make Android seem bloated. I will never buy another Android device unless it's a Nexus, Google Play Edition or an AOSP version that is close like what Nvidia uses in it's Shield series. The difference in performance, GUI smoothness, available memory and frankly look is night and day better. Especially now with Android 5, the UI is starting to look decent, the updated performance from ditching Darvik for Art is pretty incredible and the battery performance is 30 percent better, TouchWiz just destroys those improvements. The Note 4 would actually be a decent phone using the Qualcomm CPU and a vanilla build. I spend some time in Android forums and most seem to agree that Samusung phones and tablets are just not worth the headaches, the new Motorola is looking to be the phone of choice for a lot of them. Which I kind of get, it's built well, decent spec's at an affordable price. Samsung phones are also extremely cheap looking, they don"t even try to make them look premium. Samsung needs to dump TouchWiz, use vanilla Android 5, redesign their body' all the while using better materials and release their new 64Bit cips to even be considered. I hope Samsung releases a new firmware for the Note 4 turning on the 64bit aspect of Exynos 5433, I think the reason why the Note 4 has been lagging is because they couldn't wait for Android 5 do to the iPhone being released and crippled their first 64bit chip to just run 32bit code, but why, the memory controller is there to handle 64bit, all it needed was the 64bit version of Android which will be released this month. They should have waited instead of feeling the pressure from Apple. I mean what is the purpose of making a 64bit chip if your not even going to utilize it's full potential.
  • Reply 230 of 244
    @Relic, @SolipsismX - After skimming the comments on the [URL=http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/samsung-expects-a-60-drop-in-profits-this-quarter/]article on Ars about the expected 60% drop in profits[/URL] by Samsung, It most surely does appear that Android users want Android Pure (my name for it) more than they want whatever Samsung is selling. MotoX and Nexus would seem to be benefiting in the short term among Android users.

Note: I still have a Nexus 7 tablet here that I charge every once in awhile to see what's new from Google. I bought it specifically because I'm more interested in Google's advances than a skin. It's also why I build my own PCs if I ever need them, because I also want a "pure" Windows experience. I despise bloatware with a passion, and hate trying to clean it up on OEM boxes... or phones***.

*** To be fair, I've only "touched" about a half dozen Android phones, most being from Samsung, where my eyes started to ache immediately due to that horrid TouchWiz ejaculate spunked all over the place. Didn't what to "touch" it any longer than I had to, and in a couple of cases just handed it back to the owner and walked them through the settings. Yes, the interface reminded me of the seedier side of Times Square in the 80's... where it was best to observe, don't touch anything, and regardless, wash your hands after the excursion. Although I must say Times Square was a mind-blowing experience and I'm glad I was able to experience it before it became [S]dignified[/S] "Disney-fied". :D
  • Reply 231 of 244
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hope ya get some great shots. Any chance of posting a sample her if ya do?
    :

Unfortunately it seems some clouds with a vaguely reddish tinge may be the most I can get.

Update, there are a few breaks slowly moving across the sky, with a bit of luck and patience I may get some shots.

• Reply 232 of 244
    hill60 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems some clouds with a vaguely reddish tinge may be the most I can get.

Update, there are a few breaks slowly moving across the sky, with a bit of luck and patience I may get some shots.

Still looks pretty good to me, even if it isn't a full 'Blood red Moon".

Art Director in me telling you to remember your Rule of Thirds and "long light, short shadows".... sorry! ;)
  • Reply 233 of 244
    [@]Relic[/@] - My Dawg! If the prices on these new[URL=http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/10/lenovo-unveils-a-tablet-with-a-projector-and-the-thinnest-yoga-laptop-yet/] Lenovo Yoga 2 tablets (Ars)[/URL] are correct... Samsung is in for a world of future hurt! They even include a Pico Projecter... which I don't know how to react to... LOL or RU kidding me?

[QUOTE]As well as these flagship devices, Lenovo announced a quartet of Yoga Tablet 2 tablets. These tablets all have the same basic specs: a 1920×1200 screen, 4 core Atom processor at up to 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, dual band 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, 8MP rear and 1.6MP front cameras—with two different screen sizes (8 and 10.1 inches), and two different operating system choices: Windows 8.1 or Android 4.4. The 10.1-inch systems also have optional 3G/4G. [B]The Android versions will cost €229 and €299[/B], available immediately; [B]the Windows ones will cost €249 and €399[/B] and are available later this month. The 10-inch Windows version includes a Bluetooth keyboard; this will be available as an option for the 10-inch Android version. Battery life is claimed to be up to 15 hours for the Windows versions, and up to 18 hours for the Android ones.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 234 of 244
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@Relic - My Dawg! If the prices on these new Lenovo Yoga 2 tablets (Ars) are correct... Samsung is in for a world of future hurt! They even include a Pico Projecter... which I don't know how to react to... LOL or RU kidding me?

I just love to say the word Pico, Pico, Pico, aaahhhh so cute. Anyway, yes, one model will have a mini projector built into it's base, crazy right.

• Reply 235 of 244
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not advocating copying or any other form of unethical behaviour, but I am saying that from a business standpoint their actions seem to have left their Android using competition in the dust. It's been many years and they've made a lot of money. Perhaps now people are finally turning away from Samsung for cheating — which I would like to see — but if the goal is to profit has their unethical behaviour therefore been a means to that end at this point in the game?

While some might think this Burger King promotion was a series of simple mistakes it still seems terribly apropo considering Samsung copyist claims. LOL!
    http://tinyurl.com/n6bl57h
  • Reply 236 of 244
    @Relic, @SolipsismX - After skimming the comments on the article on Ars about the expected 60% drop in profits by Samsung, It most surely does appear that Android users want Android Pure (my name for it) more than they want whatever Samsung is selling. MotoX and Nexus would seem to be benefiting in the short term among Android users.

Note: I still have a Nexus 7 tablet here that I charge every once in awhile to see what's new from Google. I bought it specifically because I'm more interested in Google's advances than a skin. It's also why I build my own PCs if I ever need them, because I also want a "pure" Windows experience. I despise bloatware with a passion, and hate trying to clean it up on OEM boxes... or phones***.

*** To be fair, I've only "touched" about a half dozen Android phones, most being from Samsung, where my eyes started to ache immediately due to that horrid TouchWiz ejaculate spunked all over the place. Didn't what to "touch" it any longer than I had to, and in a couple of cases just handed it back to the owner and walked them through the settings. Yes, the interface reminded me of the seedier side of Times Square in the 80's... where it was best to observe, don't touch anything, and regardless, wash your hands after the excursion. Although I must say Times Square was a mind-blowing experience and I'm glad I was able to experience it before it became dignified "Disney-fied". :D

Best comment in the Ars article thread?

"Samsung just hasn't been the same since Steve Jobs died."
  • Reply 237 of 244
    Quote:

Still looks pretty good to me, even if it isn't a full 'Blood red Moon".

Art Director in me telling you to remember your Rule of Thirds and "long light, short shadows".... sorry! image

That is the best from about 50 photo's, it was taken at full eclipse, to give some idea of how little light there was you can see stars in the picture, most of the rest had double images due to movement of the shutter.

I could have cropped for one third rule but wanted an uncomfortable emptiness.

• Reply 238 of 244
    hill60 wrote: »

That is the best from about 50 photo's, it was taken at full eclipse, to give some idea of how little light there was you can see stars in the picture, most of the rest had double images due to movement of the shutter.

I'm guessing you didn't have a tripod, ladder, ledge, whatever at hand to take a longer exposure... so the one picture is very nice indeed!
    I could have cropped for one third rule but wanted an uncomfortable emptiness.

Rules are meant to be broken if you can justify and answer "why": you just did... and you're right! It does create an unnerving emptiness and pardon me for not noticing that in the first place. Been training the young folk too much, who don't often know "the common rules", have an answer to "why", and when it's OK and even advisable to ignore them in the name of individual style and artistic expression.
  • Reply 239 of 244
    Quote:

I'm guessing you didn't have a tripod, ladder, ledge, whatever at hand to take a longer exposure... so the one picture is very nice indeed!

Rules are meant to be broken if you can justify and answer "why": you just did... and you're right! It does create an unnerving emptiness and pardon me for not noticing that in the first place. Been training the young folk too much, who don't often know "the common rules", have an answer to "why", and when it's OK and even advisable to ignore them in the name of individual style and artistic expression.

It was on a tripod, the exposure was several seconds the shutter and maximum zoom made for a lot of multiple exposures caused by shutter movement.

• Reply 240 of 244
    ifan really bias and cheat.
    http://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx30&os=Android&api=gl&D=Samsung Galaxy S5 (Adreno%20420%2C%20SM-G901)

with qualcomm s805 using 28nm knockout 20nm ip6 .

and you can see with QHD, onscreen and offscreen have low score with the same cpu. if ip6 run QHD. maybe 5f/s.