Apple says iOS 8 on 47% of devices as adoption rate slows, tied with iOS 7 distribution

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    One can only speak for oneself; all those uncorroborated 3rd party anecdotes of my relatives, colleagues and partners count for little scientific fact, especially when jailbreakers or ex-jailbreakers are factored in to the discussion.

The upgrade from 7.1.2 to 8.0.0 on my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 took quite a while on account of the early-adopters-hammering-server issues, about 2 hours, but thereafter 8.0.2 was a matter of less than half an hour. 8.0.1 had been pulled by the time I requested an update (within an hour of its release), which was impressively fast reaction given the issues it was causing. I also thought the speed of rolling out 8.0.2 was a good come-back by Apple given all the usual media bilge that accompanies their new hardware/software releases.

The developers of my favourite apps were also on the ball, either warning not to upgrade until all issues were resolved, or themselves holding off their upgrades until they had ironed out the bugs and incompatibilities.

The result of all this is that I'm enjoying a glitch-free and pleasurable experience with my devices, which are far from the most current at over 2 years old. My favourite experience by far is with Notification Centre. I've really gone overboard with weather, sports, transportation timetable, note-taking and news apps, but they all look so colourful, beautiful and yet functional that I'm sticking with them all until I get bored, or over-cluttered, or both! I mean, all from the lock screen! Some apps will rarely be fully opened from now on, especially when out and about.

Email, Tweet and SMS management are all now sleeker what with the new quick reply/mark/trash gestures from Notification Centre and from the apps themselves, and sharing to various locations is expanding day by day as 3rd party app upgrades take advantage of the new features. Developers may not like it, but my devices now tell me which apps have been using my location in the background every time I wake them up. For the record I have not disabled Location Services for any one of these apps to date, as they are the ones that I personally set to do so.

There are literally hundreds of new things to try out, so forgive me for sounding like a kid in a candy store, or an Apple Fanboy in the Walled Orchard. I'm running around like a dog in the park that's been tied down all day and suddenly has its leash taken off - the sights, the sounds, the smells, run Fido run :-)

If you're still waiting around to upgrade, you don't know what you're freaking missing!
  • Reply 62 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

There are literally hundreds of new things to try out, so forgive me for sounding like a kid in a candy store, or an Apple Fanboy in the Walled Orchard. I'm running around like a dog in the park that's been tied down all day and suddenly has its leash taken off - the sights, the sounds, the smells, run Fido run :-)

I'm still finding things that iOS 8 can do, and as long as app developers use more and more of the potential of the OS, it will keep getting better. 

Once ApplePay and Homekit come on-line, then iOS 8 will really shine!

• Reply 63 of 117
    Indeed, most my friends have not updated because of storage requirements!!

I upgraded via my Mac, but most people don't fancy connecting it to their computer
  • Reply 64 of 117
    Still a fantastic achievement. That's hundreds of millions of iPhone on the latest version of iOS. I'm sure the space issue is the main cause for the stalling. I was happy to use my computer to update but my girlfriend "can't be bothered" and because there's no visual change really over iOS7 I doubt she will update until at least 8.1.

Apple need to phase out 16GB on the flagship models and only keep 16GB for the iPhone5S/C. The iPhone6 should have started at 32GB as should the new iPad Air2 when it is announced.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Deflection? I'm sorry, is half of all iOS device on the newest update barely 2 weeks after release supposed to be BAD? Really? It's a damn impressive ratio. 

Release of new iPads this month, plus iPhone 6/6+ launching in new markets (China) should significantly increase this percentage too. 

a change of only one percent over the past two weeks

So 46% of devices had it before it was released?

FYI I didn't say it was bad or good but what does Android's adoption rate have to do with either. The need to incessantly mention Android in every thread is sad and pathetic.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    I can't believe how buggy iOS 8 came up to be :( I hope they release 8.1 soon :)
  • Reply 67 of 117
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'd tend to question what Apple's numbers really say. [B]The percentage of iOS6 users actually went up from 5% to 6% in the past couple of weeks??[/B] No, I suspect the way Apple tabulates their numbers isn't telling the actual OS version adoption story.
  • Reply 68 of 117
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    scartart wrote: »
    Unfortunately Apple still feels it is fine to sell the iPhone 5c with 8GB of storage!
    Don't get me started on that. Offering 8GB storage in 2014 is just embarrassing. That's the bean counters at work. They're probably the same ones who decided to go 16 > 64 rather than 32 > 64 because the former would keep ASPs higher.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Reasons the adoption has slowed because 8.0.1 scared people with issues plus due to memory requirement, 16GB iphones don't handle well installing 8.0 in whatever left memory space with all apps,photos occupying space.
  • Reply 70 of 117
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'd tend to question what Apple's numbers really say. The percentage of iOS6 users actually went up from 5% to 6% in the past couple of weeks?? No, I suspect the way Apple tabulates their numbers isn't telling the actual OS version adoption story.

Yeah I don't get that. It seems very odd that iOS 6 numbers would increase.
  • Reply 71 of 117

It *IS* fine. My younger sister  needs a smartphone to check email and call people and send SMS. She doesn't play games, she won't use apps, she listens to music on her MBP and watches movies on the AppleTV.
    8GB is more than enough for her use.

Except when she gets a new software update that requires 6 of the 8 GB to update. Of course it can be done via iTunes but that kind of defeats the purpose of OTA, no?
  • Reply 72 of 117
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Except when she gets a new software update that requires 6 of the 8 GB to update. Of course it can be done via iTunes but that kind of defeats the purpose of OTA, no?

Well, in her case, she's got a MBP that she is kind-of welded to, so this OTA issue is only a very unimportant issue :D

• Reply 73 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If you pretend to be an idiot long enough...

Thanks for agreeing that mentioning something irrelevant is idiotic.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    Usually I wait for a couple of months before doing an op sys update for things to shake out abit, but this time I updated shortly after 8 came out. With my iPad 2 this seemed to be a mistake! While it has a lot of features most of which I don't utilize, it has S L O W E D my iPad way down, and at this point I wish I could go back to the old release. If Apple knew this was going to effect the performance of this device this much they should have put it in I with the ipad1 category as not suitable for the upgrade. One of the many reasons I like apple products and invest the money in them is device longevity, and this upgrade has counteracted that. It is not due to space which I have plenty of on the device, it is due to overtaxing processing capabilities...
  • Reply 75 of 117
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Complete horse-shit. I have 3 devices on iOS8 I use everyday and haven't had a SINGLE issue. If it was as bad as you say, then I think I would have encountered these massive issues you speak of, which makes iOS8 "suck balls" and "crappy to use". Maybe you have a borked install? Enough with the bullshit sensationalism. Yes, of course there's bugs. But its a million times more stable than iOS7 ever was at release. 

Sorry but I've got Bluetooth and bizarre screen rotation problems on my iPhone 6.  And confirmed rotation problems on two 5Ss that worked fine on 7.1.2.

I've had more Safari crashes in the two weeks I've had my iPhone 6 than I had on my 3GS, 5, and 5S combined.  Especially playing videos.

I've seen two iPads (one a new Air, the other a 4th Gen) that have horrible performance after the iOS 8 upgrade.  Functionally unusable.

And a friend got froggy and installed iOS 8.0.1 as soon as it was released, which of course had the well documented effect of killing his cellular radios until 8.0.2 corrected the problem.

I've loved the Apple experience since my first Blackbook, but you would have to be living in a fantasy world to believe the "it just works" mantra after this sorry excuse for an iOS release.  Be abusive all you want if that's what it takes to make you feel like a 'big man', but there is way too much smoke for there not to be an iOS 8 fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And with 8.0.2 my camera and FaceTime on my 5S are taking photos and video upside down. Come on Apple, get it together...

I've seen this myself on an 5S, and was able to replicate the problem last night on another friend's 5S (who wasn't yet aware of the issue).

On my 6, approx. 30% of the time it seems like Safari stops reading data from the sensors and just plain refuses to rotate.  When I switch to Messages, it rotates all day long.  Back to Safari, no rotation at all.

Quote:

If you're still waiting around to upgrade, you don't know what you're freaking missing!

If you have an iPad, you are missing a pretty massive performance degradation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah I don't get that. It seems very odd that iOS 6 numbers would increase.

I'm guessing that represents hand-me-down iPhones from people who bought a 6 or 6 Plus and gave their old iPhones to friends or family members.

• Reply 76 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Well all those buggy releases in a row. Its no wonder people arent upgrading.

If one can only count to three, one seems like several in a row.

• Reply 77 of 117
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'd tend to question what Apple's numbers really say. The percentage of iOS6 users actually went up from 5% to 6% in the past couple of weeks?? No, I suspect the way Apple tabulates their numbers isn't telling the actual OS version adoption story.

I think these are the numbers for iOS users accessing the App Store. Not the install base, per se.

(it would help if AI used both graphs, like 9to5 does)
  • Reply 78 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B

Quote:

If you have an iPad, you are missing a pretty massive performance degradation.

In my earlier  post I'm talking of my personal experience on a 64Gb iPad 3 and 64Gb iPhone 5...

Then again, I'm an ex-commercial Pilot, a Telecoms and IT engineer and musician to boot, so I guess I love what I'm doing around my devices and enjoy tuning/optimising them and pre-planning upgrades accordingly. My iPad's chock-Laden with heavy duty apps like iWork, iLife (iMovie, GarageBand, iPhoto), MusicStudio, Auria, NanoStudio, Ampkit, Amplitubes Orange, Hendrix and SampleTank, X-Plane Airliner and too many others to mention.

I have noticed rotation/orientation issues on the iPad 3, but the apps that I've noticed this in have not been updated for iOS 8 yet. Like I said in my earlier post, it's early days yet and hundreds of features to check out and test, but I'm not just LIKING what I see so far (as I did in iOS7) I'm actually LOVING it.

• Reply 79 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think these are the numbers for iOS users accessing the App Store. Not the install base, per se.

(it would help if AI used both graphs, like 9to5 does)

With 7 million reservations in China as of yesterday (pre-orders and retail shop / carrier sales yet to come), the iOS8 percentage is due for a massive bump in a fortnight's time, so why don't we just hang fire on any conclusion drawing till the waters still and the picture becomes clearer? Then there's another slew of 20-odd countries due for an iPhone 6 launch soon. Some pessimistic folks are just suckers for a fact-smackdown due to their unseemly haste.

• Reply 80 of 117
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    With 7 million reservations in China as of yesterday (pre-orders and retail shop / carrier salesyet to come), the iOS8 percentage is due for a massive bump in a fortnight's time, so why don't we just hang fire on any conclusion drawing till the waters still and the picture becomes clearer? Then there's another slew of 20-odd countries due for an iPhone 6 launch soon. Some pessimistic folks are just suckers for a fact-smackdown due to their unseemly haste.

I get that, but was actually referring to [@]Gatorguy[/@]'s point on the topic of increased iOS6 users.