Apple says iOS 8 on 47% of devices as adoption rate slows, tied with iOS 7 distribution

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I honestly don't care if there's an iOS 9 next year. Give us 8.5 that is a polished and mostly bug free version of iOS 8 and I'll be very happy.

I don't know what the cause of the upgrade slowdown is, whether it's bugs, upgrade disk space requirements, more unsupported models than last year, or just media FUD. But the above (an 8.5 release next year) wouldn't hurt.

• Reply 102 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I only quoted Foxconn production rates because that's all that's been leaked, that I'm aware of ,Pegatron numbers are unknown but just since introduction on September 16th Foxconn has shipped an additional 16.5M iPhones. Considering they were building phones well before intro the date, even if they started building Sept 1 they would have had more than 11M units available for opening day and enough to meet the demand of first weekend sales of 10M. I wasn't buying until I could actually touch a unit already has 5S so didn't need to upgrade just considered an iPhone 6 was a better investment for Apple Pay than my 5S and an Apple Watch.

When we look back on the 6 transition, I expect the big clusterf@ck (or maybe just the cherry on top) will turn out to be the sheer bafflement induced by their pooch-screwing product-allotment seance.

• Reply 103 of 117
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    danite wrote: »
    If one can only count to three, one seems like several in a row.
    accept that Apple has bluetooth and wifi issues and healthkit issues with 8.0 and 8.0.1 just made everyones wifi and lte stop working on their phones altogether. In 8.0.2 there are stll issues with wifi connectivity and bluetooth.
  • Reply 104 of 117

As I thought, you posted false information as fact on appleinsider.com on iOS7 vs iOS8 install rates.  iOS7 was on 52% of devices after only a week after release in 2013.  

http://chitika.com/insights/2013/ios-7-adoption

Do your research please before posting something as fact.

(And how the hell do I  change my name to "Current iPhone 6+ Owner"?)

• Reply 105 of 117
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    As I thought, you posted false information as fact on appleinsider.com on iOS7 vs iOS8 install rates.  iOS7 was on 52% of devices after only a week after release in 2013.  

http://chitika.com/insights/2013/ios-7-adoption

Do your research please before posting something as fact.

Two different sources. apple looks at App Store visits while Chitika looks at web impressions.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ^ post

1) Do you have a link where is says that chitika.com posts facts?

2) You can't change your username
  • Reply 107 of 117
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Two different sources. apple looks at App Store visits while Chitika looks at web impressions.

Indeed, resulting in both metrics to be incomplete.
  • Reply 108 of 117

Okay fair enough; but here's an article quoting Apple's App Store numbers:  http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/05/ios-7-adoption-official-apple/

It references that the numbers for October are 10% below what they are reporting for December.  And for December the number from Apple was 74%.  That means for October 2013 the number would have been 64%.  Now from my understanding 47% != 64% and that shows that this site is reporting bogus / false information as fact!

• Reply 109 of 117
    Okay fair enough; but here's an article quoting Apple's App Store numbers:  http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/05/ios-7-adoption-official-apple/

It references that the numbers for October are 10% below what they are reporting for December.  And for December the number from Apple was 74%.  That means for October 2013 the number would have been 64%.  Now from my understanding 47% != 64% and that shows that this site is reporting bogus / false information as fact!

Sigh. You do realize October has 31 days.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    jungmark wrote: »

Sigh. You do realize October has 31 days.

Nope. Only 23 left.
  • Reply 111 of 117
    Nope. Only 23 left.

October still has 31 days regardless of how many days are left.

Still, I'm not sure they'll reach 64% by the end of the month.
  • Reply 112 of 117
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

I think a lot of this is overreliance on the OTA updates. In order to do the OTA update, the device needs to create a full backup of the current OS and a full image of the new OS after unpacking and uncompressing the installation file. These are fail safes that at least give you a chance to restart and roll back your device if something goes wrong during the installation. That's why it requires ~6 GB of free space to update to iOS 8 using OTA installation. If you eliminate any of the fail safe steps, it would take less space, but also increase the chances of bricking the device if the update process goes south.

Yeah, using a wired connection to iTunes seems retrograde. But, IMO it's also the most reliable and trouble free method. By offloading the OS download and unbundling, it reduces the storage requirement by more than 4 GB.

To me, the real space issue with iOS 8 is that the OS itself requires at least 740 MB more space than iOS 7.1.2. That's a sizable step up in girth and IMO a much more serious consideration than the temporary storage space needed to install the OS.

Yes, a wired update and there is NO capacity issue beyond the actual size difference of the two software, the thing just get's swapped off an inert device etc. OTA means the thing is live and operating right up until it restarts and that's going to mandate the extra space for TWO operating systems...

• Reply 113 of 117
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I'm telling you my experience, not everyone's. iOS8 currently is not as good as it could have been and a disappointing release from Apple. It freezes on on my iPhone 6+. Ios7 never did that on my iPhone 5. Neither did ios6. And I'm not comparing it to early releases of 6 or 7. I'm comparing it to the last one.

I guess I should waste two hours of my life restoring.

Hopefully, iOS8.1 will improve things, especially safari.
  • Reply 114 of 117
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I'm telling you my experience, not everyone's. iOS8 currently is not as good as it could have been and a disappointing release from Apple. It freezes on on my iPhone 6+. Ios7 never did that on my iPhone 5. Neither did ios6. And I'm not comparing it to early releases of 6 or 7. I'm comparing it to the last one.

I guess I should waste two hours of my life restoring.

Hopefully, iOS8.1 will improve things, especially safari.

iOS 8 only crashed once on my iphone6 so your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

My gf is furious about iOS8, and my boss updated yesterday against his own opinion, and right now is complaining about sluggishness. As for me, I'm experiencing very unpredictable behaviour on my iPad Air. I believe iOS 8 is not among the best releases from Apple, through the observations I can make from my limited perspective, but then again I expect updates to solve things fast, so I'm not very concerned.

Also, Xcode is very irritating in the new release, but some colleagues disagree with me on this, so it might just me being an old coder set in my ways :D

• Reply 116 of 117
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

My gf is furious about iOS8, and my boss updated yesterday against his own opinion, and right now is complaining about sluggishness. As for me, I'm experiencing very unpredictable behaviour on my iPad Air. I believe iOS 8 is not among the best releases from Apple, through the observations I can make from my limited perspective, but then again I expect updates to solve things fast, so I'm not very concerned.

Also, Xcode is very irritating in the new release, but some colleagues disagree with me on this, so it might just me being an old coder set in my ways :D

The operating system or some apps that may not be completely compatible with the new iOS version? Trouble I have with any system upgrade just about always is linked to application software incompatibility and that's the developers challenge. A good reason to wait until favorite software releases "iOS x, OS latest" compatible versions.

• Reply 117 of 117
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Mobile Safari on iOS 8.0.2 crashes several times a day on my iPhone 6, usually playing a video or trying to render a webpage with embedded video.