Apple says iOS 8 on 47% of devices as adoption rate slows, tied with iOS 7 distribution

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

With 7 million reservations in China as of yesterday (pre-orders and retail shop / carrier salesyet to come), the iOS8 percentage is due for a massive bump in a fortnight's time, so why don't we just hang fire on any conclusion drawing till the waters still and the picture becomes clearer? Then there's another slew of 20-odd countries due for an iPhone 6 launch soon. Some pessimistic folks are just suckers for a fact-smackdown due to their unseemly haste.
    But Apple sold a million more phones on launch weekend this year than they did last year. The question would be if this is an apples to apples comparison. Last year was a completely new look and feel so I'm sure a lot of people updated right away because of that. And perhaps the amount of space required for OTA wasn't as big as iOS 8 is. Also it could be possible that people's experience with iOS 7 has made them more cautious about updating right away and they're going to wait for a 1. release that might be more stable and bug free.
  • Reply 82 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Complete horse-shit. I have 3 devices on iOS8 I use everyday and haven't had a SINGLE issue. If it was as bad as you say, then I think I would have encountered these massive issues you speak of, which makes iOS8 "suck balls" and "crappy to use". Maybe you have a borked install? Enough with the bullshit sensationalism. Yes, of course there's bugs. But its a million times more stable than iOS7 ever was at release. Funny how in all your adjectives you couldnt point to a single, specific issue, beyond the generic troll line of "LOL IT JUST WORKS". 

I have an iPad Air, and iO8 has made it so much better. Haven't had 1 crash, while I often had crashes with iOS7. Safari is a million times better. But yeah, don't update your iPad Air at all. That'll show em. 

You're a joke. 

And I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 5s that both have Safari issues with the latest OS.  Otherwise they seem fine.  For short periods clicking links seems to lock out, or I have to scroll up and down to enable clicking on links.  Otherwise they have been crash free.  I have TONS of apps. 

• Reply 83 of 117

Why do two different sites have on the same subject have two entirely different articles?

http://www.imore.com/apple-software-snafus-may-have-hurt-ios-8-adoption

Which one is correct?

• Reply 84 of 117
    aussiepaul wrote: »
    Adoption-gate

Adopt-A-Highway
  • Reply 85 of 117
    Ignorant comment from lkrupp to AdonisSMU aside...seems pretty clear that people are waiting, just like I am.

1. Buggy releases.
    2. 8.1 is apparently around the corner anyway.
    3. Can't use iCloud drive until Yosemite is out - never mind the reset bug.
    4. Critical apps (for many) such as 1Password version 5 do not work with Mavericks and therefore syncing is limited to only IOS devices.

I upgraded, found the above issues and reverted back to 7 while I still could. Imagine many others have similar reasons.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm not surprised it's slow because iOS 8 is buggy. 8.1 can't come soon enough. And 2GB RAM on new iPads can't come soon enough. I said in another thread and I'll say it again Apple needs to put a halt on new features for now and work on making iOS 8 better. I honestly don't care if there's an iOS 9 next year. Give us 8.5 that is a polished and mostly bug free version of iOS 8 and I'll be very happy.

Yes; a few too many soft restarts for my liking. I hope 8.1 arrives soon.
  • Reply 87 of 117
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why do two different sites have on the same subject have two entirely different articles?

http://www.imore.com/apple-software-snafus-may-have-hurt-ios-8-adoption

Which one is correct?

Negative headlines attract trolls and hence page views.
  • Reply 88 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Negative headlines attract trolls and hence page views.

But which one is correct, the article here or the one on imore.com?

Anyone know?

• Reply 89 of 117
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think the whole 8.0.1 update issue has caused a lot of people to hold out before upgrading. Maybe waiting until the Big 8.1 Update which has ApplePay and iCloud Drive support, etc.

If you don't have the space, Upgrade using your computer and iTunes, the file size will be smaller, and if that's still not enough, you can do a full backup to your computer including all your Apps. Don't backup to the cloud because it's slower. Backup, wipe your phone, Install the latest update and then Restore your phone. Now you didn't lose anything and have the latest update. I think the iOS 8 is a little larger overall, so you need a little free space.

Getting a iOS device that's only 16 Gig's in size is anyone's first Mistake!!! I have my iPad 3 at 64 Gig's and I think it's to small. Games can be larger on it. I know a few programs after I downloaded them, I had another file after it to download to better graphics and that takes up yet more space. you also want enough space for taking pictures and video's so you need room to move about. Why Apple is selling a 16 gig iPhone 6 and 6 ?!?! Then it jumps to 64 and then 128. I got the 128 Gig iPhone 6. I know I'll have it for 2 years, maybe 4 like my iPhone 4 and I want growing room. Apple should started with 32 gig's and tossed the worthless 16 gig. Abut all you can do on it is e-mail, twitter and web browsing and maybe a couple Apps.

My Dad is running iOS 8.0.2 on his iPhone 4S and it seems to be fine. He's not bitching about it. he has it on his iPad 2 also and that's also been fine. I don't think it's as slow as iOS7 on my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 90 of 117
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

For that reason I will never update the 4S of my wife.

Smart move, there comes a time when hardware, even when in good shape, is just too old and too far removed from the design intent of the latest software.

OTOH the 4s is a damn fine device, still the design I liked the most. I moved on for performance but with regret for the looks...

• Reply 91 of 117
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"I'm not surprised it's slow because iOS 8 is buggy."

?The OS or the apps not having kept up with the operating system changes? Most times when a device acts up it's the application software not the underlying operating system, in my experience. And with all those apps out there requiring some adjustment to the new operating system I'd expect performance issues with some of them.

Hence the slew of app updates we're all receiving.

• Reply 92 of 117
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Doesn't help that iOS 8 requires a big as$ storage space to install..

It also doesn't help that Apple isn't providing carriers with iPhone 6 devices. My opening weekend order from AT&T is scheduled for Oct 21 - Nov 11 delivery (NOTE: $200 trade in on iPhone 4 from AT&T), while Apple has been quoting 7-10 days for almost a week. So the cunundrum an iPhone 4 that won't upgrade to iOS 8 and a 3-5 week wait for a phone that comes with iOS 8, what's a body to do? I could cancel my order with AT&T and reorder with Apple and lose the $140+ by trading the iPhone 4 to Gazelle. I've written to upper management at both Apple and AT&T and expressed my displeasure with carrier partner supply especially since according to rumors out of China Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn is producing over 750,000 iPhone 6 units A DAY.
  • Reply 93 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by KennMSr View Post

I’ve written to upper management at both Apple and AT&T and expressed my displeasure with carrier partner supply… …750,000 iPhone 6 units A DAY.

They’re going to ignore your displeasure. They’re literally making as many devices as is physically possible. You should have preordered, period.

• Reply 94 of 117
    kevinneal wrote: »
    Might be easier said than done, but couldn't they develop a two stage update process for devices with limited capacity

Why not temporarily remove enough apps (without losing their data - by installing app placeholders) then do the upgrade and automatically restore from the cloud or just selectively restore from latest icloud iDevice backup after temporary deletion. I went to iTunes Music Match for that exact reason. I trashed my music folder (after everything had backed up to the cloud) ran the update and then let the music repopulate from the Music Match cloud.
  • Reply 95 of 117
    Moving forward, Apple has to figure out a way to swap older OS with 8.x/9/10 with out needing ~40% of their entry level (16GB) smartphone storage.

They should have some heuristics about the amt of free space a typical smartphone usually got and work with in those bounds. With content (photos/music/videos) explosion for everyday consumer usage, it may not be wise to expect the consumers to have their smartphone's 40% space free.

Now, you may suggest that apple have instructions on how to clean-up and get the device ready for update..Every time you have those pre-req manual steps involved rather than a simple OTA update, the adoption will be very slow and gradual and might not happen at all with a subset of tech-barriered-demographic.
  • Reply 96 of 117
    They’re going to ignore your displeasure. They’re literally making as many devices as is physically possible. You should have preordered, period.

I only quoted Foxconn production rates because that's all that's been leaked, that I'm aware of ,Pegatron numbers are unknown but just since introduction on September 16th Foxconn has shipped an additional 16.5M iPhones. Considering they were building phones well before intro the date, even if they started building Sept 1 they would have had more than 11M units available for opening day and enough to meet the demand of first weekend sales of 10M. I wasn't buying until I could actually touch a unit already has 5S so didn't need to upgrade just considered an iPhone 6 was a better investment for Apple Pay than my 5S and an Apple Watch.
  • Reply 97 of 117
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

I wonder how many approach it like I do - I always wait a couple of months (sometimes longer) after the new release before upgrading, just to let things get solid.  This is case whether iOS or MacOS X, but also for other products.  I also am very careful with older devices to wait and see what performance is based on customer feedback - so I might not update my iPad Mini (1st gen) for awhile.  So there is no delay on my side yet, as I had not intention of upgrading until after 8.1 is out (and it was shown to be solid).  I don't have the time at this point in life to be dealing with unnecessary problems, if waiting a bit prevents that from happening.

• Reply 98 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundkeman View Post

I never had any issues with IOS 7, came with 5S. IOS 8.0.2 on the other hand I have at least 6 soft reboots, phone goes to apple logo for a few seconds then returns to home screen, and had to do 2 hard resets, hold home and power button until I get apple logo. I did OTA update.

My experience with a 5s was the exact opposite. From iOS 7.0 through 7.0.3, the phone would randomly restart every few days and a large number of my apps would crash regularly. Safari was particularly problematic. 7.0.4 was the first version of iOS 7 that did not crash or restart all the time, and it came out in mid-November.

Ever since updating to iOS 8 on the first day it came out, I have not had a single restart and the app crashes have been limited to a handful of apps that already had problems even with iOS 7.1.2. The random bugs I've seen pop up have occurred with the Bluetooth connection, although iOS 8 actually solved a Bluetooth problem that started with iOS 7.1. Nothing persistent, just dropped audio streams that randomly occur when changing programs or tracks, or when switching over to the phone function. I tried deleting the Bluetooth profile with both my phone and car, and paired the devices over again. No issues so far, but it did take multiple attempts before I could get the devices to pair again.

I do all of my iOS updates using a wired connection to iTunes, and go the extra step of wiping the phone and restoring to factory settings before installing a major interval update. Seems that with iOS 8 in particular, an outsized number of issues have been occurring on devices that used OTA updates.

• Reply 99 of 117
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kennmsr wrote: »
    It also doesn't help that Apple isn't providing carriers with iPhone 6 devices. My opening weekend order from AT&T is scheduled for Oct 21 - Nov 11 delivery (NOTE: $200 trade in on iPhone 4 from AT&T), while Apple has been quoting 7-10 days for almost a week. So the cunundrum an iPhone 4 that won't upgrade to iOS 8 and a 3-5 week wait for a phone that comes with iOS 8, what's a body to do? I could cancel my order with AT&T and reorder with Apple and lose the $140+ by trading the iPhone 4 to Gazelle. I've written to upper management at both Apple and AT&T and expressed my displeasure with carrier partner supply especially since according to rumors out of China Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn is producing over 750,000 iPhone 6 units A DAY.

Perhaps it's AT&T. I preordered my 6 from Verizon on 9/13. It was quoted to be delivered on 10/14. I recd it on 9/30.
  • Reply 100 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercifull View Post

Still a fantastic achievement. That's hundreds of millions of iPhone on the latest version of iOS. I'm sure the space issue is the main cause for the stalling. I was happy to use my computer to update but my girlfriend "can't be bothered" and because there's no visual change really over iOS7 I doubt she will update until at least 8.1.

Apple need to phase out 16GB on the flagship models and only keep 16GB for the iPhone5S/C. The iPhone6 should have started at 32GB as should the new iPad Air2 when it is announced.

I think a lot of this is overreliance on the OTA updates. In order to do the OTA update, the device needs to create a full backup of the current OS and a full image of the new OS after unpacking and uncompressing the installation file. These are fail safes that at least give you a chance to restart and roll back your device if something goes wrong during the installation. That's why it requires ~6 GB of free space to update to iOS 8 using OTA installation. If you eliminate any of the fail safe steps, it would take less space, but also increase the chances of bricking the device if the update process goes south.

Yeah, using a wired connection to iTunes seems retrograde. But, IMO it's also the most reliable and trouble free method. By offloading the OS download and unbundling, it reduces the storage requirement by more than 4 GB.

To me, the real space issue with iOS 8 is that the OS itself requires at least 740 MB more space than iOS 7.1.2. That's a sizable step up in girth and IMO a much more serious consideration than the temporary storage space needed to install the OS.