Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

Comments

• Reply 161 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Yet... we see no price, we see no availability, we see no app list, we don't see a lot of things.... yet.

At want point did we move this discussion from speculation to facts and only the facts?

Should have told the guys that wrote this article, about the speculative article regarding teens being tepid... and then we could have just done away with this speculative discussion and waited until this time next year to have FACTS on the table. But next year is not this year... yet. image

And yet... fact is you still have a 90 year old piece of mechanical nostalgia that does ONE thing and does it well. You just keep it tickin'.... cool! What a future.

You should really go back and read my original post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The one thing that really bothers me that doesn't bother me about my other gadgets is longevity. I expect to replace my phone and tablet. A watch... I just can't see it.

... but maybe Apple can convince people that they have to replace their watch every 2-3 years.

"... but maybe Apple can convince people that they have to replace their watch every 2-3 years."

So far I haven't seen anything that convinces me... but maybe there will be something in the future.

So far nothing, though... and nothing you or the other people have said convinces me either.

If Apple answers this upgrade question then I can see more of a future for the Apple watch.

• Reply 162 of 284

It's an inherently flawed idea.  People will not want to wear technology.  We are at the beginning of a backlash against being tracked, people knowing too much about us, technology making life less self-reliant.  "Low Tech" is the next "High Tech".  Watch for a huge resurgence in analogue.  You might laugh now, but it's coming.  

• Reply 163 of 284
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's an inherently flawed idea.  People will not want to wear technology.  We are at the beginning of a backlash against being tracked, people knowing too much about us, technology making life less self-reliant.  "Low Tech" is the next "High Tech".  Watch for a huge resurgence in analogue.  You might laugh now, but it's coming.  

I'm laughing because I see wearables as the next major era in computing.
  • Reply 164 of 284
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Most teens probably don't even know what a wrist watch is. The iPhone destroyed wearable watches and now Apple wants to bring them back? Bad move.
    And I agree with the other poster- who wants to wear trackable devices?
  • Reply 165 of 284
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Most teens probably don't even know what a wrist watch is.

Bullshit! Don't be stupid.
  • Reply 166 of 284
    intoshintosh Posts: 16member
    As if teens know anything. Teens are probably the dumbest age group. They will stop being tepid about something only if they see Justin Bieber with it.
  • Reply 167 of 284
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Teens don't care about fashion. Have you seen the way they dress?
    And burying their face in a phone screen is their way of saying "go away don't talk to me"
    And trying saying "horology" to a teen and see what reaction you get.

Caution: these people are the future.

Teens care about fashion. But their fashion is not your fashion. They probably consider you to be hopelessly boring in the way you dress.
  • Reply 168 of 284

Gene Munster did a survey... enough said

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post

I don't know about that. I'm a boomer, I own a Shuffle, iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone and iMac. I don't see that the Watch has anything to offer me. Unfortunately I think sales will be disappointing.

You do not sound typical then to me. Again, with just over 100 million potential customer between Boomer and X Gen (just in the US), I think they will do very well. Apple does not go into something like this half hearted. They spent at least 3 years and who knows how much R&D funds on this. Especially when we see what all the possibilities of such a device are.

• Reply 169 of 284
    msheredy wrote: »
    Teens are tepid because mommy and daddy are the ones footing the bill, lets be real here. Once they convince mommy and daddy that they deserve it for getting a 3.0 GPA tepid they will no longer be.

Actually, that used to work for myself when concerning my daughter. I told her that her job was to do well in school so that she could later afford the lifestyle we gave her now. As a reward for that hard work, we would buy the things she wanted. That included while at university as well. So she received a new top of the line MacBook Pro. For her last year, she got a Retina model. I've always believed that young people should understand that life is made up of rewards for doing well, and punishments for doing poorly. By punishment, I mean by not giving out the rewards.

After all, that's what life is.

But as for the watch, most teens I've seen don't wear a watch. My daughter is now 23 and doesn't wear a watch, but admits that she might sometime in the future. What I see is that these days a smartphone is a necessity, but a watch is not. So what would a teen, or a parent rather do? Obviously a smartphone. But as people get older, and hopefully more sophisticated, their tastes change, or rather, I should say, evolve. My daughter was all in with goth when she was young, but now raises her eyebrow when I mention it.
  • Reply 170 of 284
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    melgross wrote: »
    Actually, that used to work for myself when concerning my daughter. I told her that her job was to do well in school so that she could later afford the lifestyle we gave her now. As a reward for that hard work, we would buy the things she wanted. That included while at university as well. So she received a new top of the line MacBook Pro. For her last year, she got a Retina model. I've always believed that young people should understand that life is made up of rewards for doing well, and punishments for doing poorly. By punishment, I mean by not giving out the rewards.

After all, that's what life is.

But as for the watch, most teens I've seen don't wear a watch. My daughter is now 23 and doesn't wear a watch, but admits that she might sometime in the future. What I see is that these days a smartphone is a necessity, but a watch is not. So what would a teen, or a parent rather do? Obviously a smartphone. But as people get older, and hopefully more sophisticated, their tastes change, or rather, I should say, evolve. My daughter was all in with goth when she was young, but now raises her eyebrow when I mention it.

Good parenting sir ... but Wow, don't know why, but I kept getting flash backs to the Californication ShowTime series throughout reading that ... :D
  • Reply 171 of 284
    All it takes is to make one appearance on a trendy teen girl show, like Project Runway or Michelle Phan (YT see her tech favs)... and boom!

A really quick Scroogle search turned up this:

Here's Where Teens Spend All Their Money (April 2013)

From 2 click-thru links on InStyle"

"Smokey Eyes Like Olivia Wilde" - make-up from Revlon - $25.-
    +
    "Lips like Selena Gomez" - lipstick by D&G, purchased at Nieman Marcus - $48.-

= $73.- before they even do their hair or put on clothes, shoes, and accessorize.

I'm only guessing here, but a girl between the age of 16 - 24 is probably walking out of the house with close to $350.- worth of merchandise and beauty products... before you even add an iPhone and a 1/30 cost of a cell contract or any other gadgets That's EVERY day! That "guesstimate" hits a grand easily in affluent neighborhoods and schools.

Besides... none of us have any idea what the final ?Watch is going to be priced at, what apps are going to be ready, nor what other name brand fashion houses have created to be available at launch to create the 'media buzz" beyond just the techie sites (which will invariably rip it to shreds!).

See the link above at BusinessWeek: if Coach (girls) or Nike (guys) decides to make some cool wrist bands for the ?Watch... again... boom!... the kids with disposable income will be there to buy it all up.

Note: amazing but true, some of you in the US need to just drive by a High School in or around a wealthy or even middle class neighborhood and check out the parking lot. The expensive cars belong to the students or their families, not the teachers. They very well might have a high price total than a mid-size business' parking lot of the same size. Tip o' the hat to @Kibitzer

How many of you fellow geezers really remember what it was like to be in HS and the need to belong to a clique. Even if you didn't call it that, you were in one. Remember the pressure every once in awhile, or the little jibes if your hair wasn't the right way, your shoes were the wrong brand, or your shirt was the wrong pattern or color. No matter how much you really wanted to like and have your own style, you were subtly coerced to "conform".

This has been going on for decades if not 100's of years within that age group and across cultures. I don't ever expect it to change, and that's why in advertising and marketing, the teen demographic is so very important to study, understand, and push to to get your products at least noticed, if not sold to.

Nike didn't become the sports shoe leader overnight by making great shows or beating Converse or Keds on the courts when they came out. They nailed it though marketing to the "cool" kids as a new fashion statement. Actual playing and quality cred came later.

I'm not saying that Apple is throwing all of their efforts at teens... but they will not be forgotten when it comes to the marketing, that's guaranteed.

Last thought: no Apple product is without it's controversy, especially when it comes to kids and how they use and/or abuse their Apple stuff and tick off parents and teachers. *IF* teens pick up on the ?Watch and at first only use it to send little "love notes" and "heartbeats"... not far behind will be the call for regulations after scandals regarding cheating on tests and in class digital mobbing. Many schools will try.. and probably succeed in forcing students to take of their watches in class.

Last part ...

Yes I can imagine ... that silent tapping will be very useful, given the standard method of testing folks in the USA is multiple choice papers so I can well see ... 1 tap means the answer is A, two taps B and so on ... :D
  • Reply 172 of 284
    How well does iOS 8 work on the 4S... or how about the 4 or the 3GS?

You can't tell me that 4 years down the road there won't be better processors and better storage capacity that can handle a more complex OS and applications.

I understand people being convinced to upgrade laptops, tablets, phones... but watches at $350 to thousands of $$$ a pop. I'm not convinced.

We have to stop thinking that this is a watch. Yes, it tells time, but it's a computer. It's just about as powerful as the first iPhone, to be sure. It's also more independent than most other smart watches, of the phone its paired with. That will likely continue to evolve.

If you spend $350 on this, there is no reason why you would need to get another ever year, or every other year. So while newer features and hardware will come out, so what? Do we always have to get the latest right away? So three and even four years would be a decent run for one of these. If Apple did offer an upgrade to the hardware for a price that's in line with the cost of the cases, then that would be a dream, but don't expect it for the $350 model, as it wouldn't pay.

Surely, I would want that for a gold model, particularly if it were north of the minimum $1,200 I see mentioned. Heck, if you buy a high end watch for several thousand dollars, it will cost to have it cleaned and adjusted every couple of years too, and I can tell you that it can cost a fair buck to get that done.
  • Reply 173 of 284
    How well does iOS 8 work on the 4S... or how about the 4 or the 3GS?

You can't tell me that 4 years down the road there won't be better processors and better storage capacity that can handle a more complex OS and applications.

I understand people being convinced to upgrade laptops, tablets, phones... but watches at $350 to thousands of $$$ a pop. I'm not convinced.

Whilst my iPhone 5 was getting a free new battery courtesy of Apple, I had to go back to my 4s and it seemed to work just fine with iOS 8 to be honest, I was quite surprised.
  • Reply 174 of 284

I guess the main thing that we can say now about the ?Watch is... they should've never called it a watch in the first place... because telling time is probably the last thing that people will be using it for.

There is a certain irony to that isn't there? Perhaps Apple should have gone more Star Trek with the nomenclature.
  • Reply 175 of 284
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Bullshit! Don't be stupid.

I'm not but you're being belligerent. Many teens have no idea what a CD is for that matter. Would they know what a corset is too? It's not that difficult to comprehend actually if you'd think outside the box you've built.
  • Reply 176 of 284
    I'm not but you're being belligerent. Many teens have no idea what a CD is for that matter. It's not that difficult to comprehend actually if you'd think outside the box you've built.

To be clear, you're saying that you could poll random people on the street today between the ages of 13 and 19 years old that would have no idea what a wrist watch is if you said the term and them to point one out in a group of pictures or if you showed them a picture and asked them to say one of the various, common terms that refer to a watch. That's fucking ridiculous! :no:
  • Reply 177 of 284

I really dislike it when people make definitive statements as you have, about something which you can't possibly know. It would be much better if you put a "I think" or "I believe" in front of it to show that it is after all, just your feeling about what is going to happen.
  • Reply 178 of 284
    Most teens probably don't even know what a wrist watch is. The iPhone destroyed wearable watches and now Apple wants to bring them back? Bad move.
    And I agree with the other poster- who wants to wear trackable devices?

Or carry them in your pocket, on on your belt. I suppose you have no cell phone at all, because all of them can be tracked. If you have a car, I suppose you are also afraid of EasyPass as well.
  • Reply 179 of 284
    Good parenting sir ... but Wow, don't know why, but I kept getting flash backs to the Californication ShowTime series throughout reading that ... :D

I've always wanted to see that, but didn't get Showtime until FIOS, just HBO. But now that I've got both, I still haven't had time to see it.????
  • Reply 180 of 284
    If you%u2019re a teen and ever wore a watch, raise your hand?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

No one. Strange, teens are tepid on the new Apple Watch. Teens are tepid on all watches. Their generation has never put stuff on their wrist until the Fitbit.