Teens 'tepid' on Apple Watch as iPhone and iPad steal Android marketshare

Comments

• Reply 201 of 284
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't know what that is suppose to mean.
    • They'll lose millions of dollars on it?
    • It'll only sell for 3 years before being shitcanned?
    • They'll only make 100,000 of them?

Same story. Different time. The "E-Car" is the "I-Watch". Robert McNamerra is Tim Cook. And just like McNamerra, once the failure is over and the billions in losses tallied, Cook will leave Apple for a big position in our nation's government with his excellent managerial and leadership skills. And then Apple will come out with its Ford Mustang.
  • Reply 202 of 284
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Same story. Different time. The "E-Car" is the "I-Watch". Robert McNamerra is Tim Cook. And just like McNamerra, once the failure is over and the billions in losses tallied, Cook will leave Apple for a big position in our nation's government with his excellent managerial and leadership skills. And then Apple will come out with its Ford Mustang.

You definitely have taken the adage of history repeating itself literally.
  • Reply 203 of 284
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmm... interesting... because I felt that the iPhone broke with tradition so greatly that it almost bankrupted the leading seller and caused one large corporation to change its plan of what a phone should be.

The Apple Watch on the other hand seems to follow in the path of existing manufacturers, albeit with different features.

It follows the usual Apple path, best of all that came before, except better. Unless your telling me the Ipod and Iphone, Ipad were technological or even design breakthroughs? They obviously weren't.  It is ALWAYS the overall balanced design that wins the day for Apple.

• Reply 204 of 284
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Teens care about fashion. But their fashion is not your fashion. They probably consider you to be hopelessly boring in the way you dress.

I laugh, because come on, there's really nothing new left in fashion. Everything crazy, or mismatched as been tried already. I lived through the 1980s after all ;-).

So, right now young women wear Yoga pants instead of jeans.... Woopeedoo.. such Impressive fashion leap. If anything, teens are less adventurous than in the 1980s. I wore leggings with Doc Martens and shirts I stole from my boyfriend in the 1980s... All that with big hair and dark heavy eyeliner.  Yes, it was a very personal look...

Anyway, teens fashion change every 2-3 years so Apple is certainly not relying on them to be their first audience cause who know were they'd be at any given point. Who would think that wearing giant headphones and looking like a dork would be in, I put that right up with Jericurls and monster shoulder pads as a bad look.

• Reply 205 of 284
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Stop drinking and posting.
  • Reply 206 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

It follows the usual Apple path, best of all that came before, except better. Unless your telling me the Ipod and Iphone, Ipad were technological or even design breakthroughs? They obviously weren't.  It is ALWAYS the overall balanced design that wins the day for Apple.

So you are telling me that there were other phones like the iPhone before it came along?

• Reply 207 of 284
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

They obviously weren't.

Get your coffee before you post.

• Reply 208 of 284
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    So you are telling me that there were other phones like the iPhone before it came along?

I hate to interrupt but the first iPhone didn't really have all that much going for it, my Nokia 9500 Communicator wiped the floor with it in the feature and apps department. I mean I had a file manager that could connect to multiple FTP servers at once, I could even save documents directly to those FTP servers, it even had a notification system. What was new about the iPhone was the OS's UI which defiantly gave the mobile phone market a jolt in terms of how a mobile phone should look and operate. What they did was defiantly great but their wasn't a single feature or app that couldn't be found in other phones at the time, icons in a grid, my bitchin Ericson R380 and several of my Nokia phones prior to the iPhone had that and could even run even switch between and run apps in the background indefinitely if need be, something iOS still can't do today, well just a hand full of apps can but the ones I want like for instance my music creation stuff still can't have 3 apps playing sounds all at the same time which is something I desperately want to be able to do, you know,a beat machine, synth, melody, all being recorded by another app. No, in terms of raw features iOS was never really a front runner, I mean look how long it took Apple to incorporate their notifications. Now the way people use and the quality of those apps were/are defiantly on top, which is more important then just having the capability.

The iPhone changed our world with their new mobile OS and for that they should be commended and have been as Apple is the most powerful computer company in the world, for my personal needs though and for how I use a phone, the iPhone still has a long way to go before I would consider it to be the best or even own one myself.
  • Reply 209 of 284
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I hate to interrupt but the first iPhone didn't really have all that much going for it

What was new about the iPhone was the OS's UI which defiantly gave the mobile phone market a jolt in terms of how a mobile phone should look and operate.

Um, yeah, the OS is exactly what the iPhone had going for it.  It was the first mobile phone OS that didn't completely suck.

And that was much more than "all that much."  It completely revolutionized the entire industry.

• Reply 210 of 284
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I hate to interrupt but the first iPhone didn't really have all that much going for it, my Nokia 9500 Communicator wiped the floor with it in the feature and apps department. I mean I had a file manager that could connect to multiple FTP servers at once, I could even save documents directly to those FTP servers, it even had a notification system. What was new about the iPhone was the OS's UI which defiantly gave the mobile phone market a jolt in terms of how a mobile phone should look and operate. What they did was defiantly great but their wasn't a single feature or app that couldn't be found in other phones at the time, icons in a grid, my bitchin Ericson R380 and several of my Nokia phones prior to the iPhone had that and could even run ever app in the background indefinitely if need be, something iOS still can't do today, well just a hand full of apps can but the ones I want like for instance my music creation stuff, I can't have 3 playing sounds all at the same time which is something I desperately want to be able to do. No, in terms of raw features iOS was never really a front runner, I mean look how long it took Apple to incorporate something as simple as notifications.

The iPhone defiantly changed our world with their new mobile OS and for that they should be commended but for my personal needs and they way I use my phones, the iPhone still has a long way to go before I would consider it to be the best or even own one myself.

It's true apple isn't usually first with most things, features, etc. But eventually they usually nail most of it down in a way that is pretty great for lots of people.

Then there are people like me (and you I presume, but I do not want to speak for you) who like playing with everything and maybe want to (I'm randomly picking here) do something like rip a movie to a .mkv and watch on it my mobile device with multiple audio and subtitle tracks available.

I loved the first iphone, then I was sad when it could not play a video that was not specifically encoded in a manner approved fit to be played.

• Reply 211 of 284
    Quote:

I hate to interrupt but the first iPhone didn't really have all that much going for it, my Nokia 9500 Communicator wiped the floor with it in the feature and apps department. I mean I had a file manager that could connect to multiple FTP servers at once, I could even save documents directly to those FTP servers, it even had a notification system. What was new about the iPhone was the OS's UI which defiantly gave the mobile phone market a jolt in terms of how a mobile phone should look and operate. What they did was defiantly great but their wasn't a single feature or app that couldn't be found in other phones at the time, icons in a grid, my bitchin Ericson R380 and several of my Nokia phones prior to the iPhone had that and could even run even switch between and run apps in the background indefinitely if need be, something iOS still can't do today, well just a hand full of apps can but the ones I want like for instance my music creation stuff still can't have 3 apps playing sounds all at the same time which is something I desperately want to be able to do, you know,a beat machine, synth, melody, all being recorded by another app. No, in terms of raw features iOS was never really a front runner, I mean look how long it took Apple to incorporate their notifications. Now the way people use and the quality of those apps were/are defiantly on top, which is more important then just having the capability.

The iPhone changed our world with their new mobile OS and for that they should be commended and have been as Apple is the most powerful computer company in the world, for my personal needs though and for how I use a phone, the iPhone still has a long way to go before I would consider it to be the best or even own one myself.

That was exactly what I was saying. The iPhone had a unique perspective via its OS. So much so that, even lacking features that other phones had at that time, it wiped the floor with them. It changed the entire industry.

... and my original point being... that I don't see the Apple Watch having the same clout (or the same uniqueness).

• Reply 212 of 284
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    imagladry wrote: »
    If you%u2019re a teen and ever wore a watch, raise your hand?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

No one. Strange, teens are tepid on the new Apple Watch. Teens are tepid on all watches. Their generation has never put stuff on their wrist until the Fitbit.

And yet the teenage kids I work with have about 3 years worth of open air concert bracelets from Rock am Ring, Glastonberry, and Wacken on their wrists... wrapped around and through dog knows what else as a badge of honor, fashion and "cool".
    I wonder, though, if Apple stayed too close to the watch metaphor.

... but I guess this watch more closely resembles the Mac 128 than the latest iMac.

I really want to see 5-7 years down the road to see if the watch still resembles a watch as we have always known it.

I just wanna see what the released Apple Watch has for the "must have" app... something I'm absolutely positive hasn't been shown yet due to the "copyists" in the tech world... and Apple just not being ready yet.

Regardless... my argument hasn't been that the Apple Watch is FOR teens.. All I've said is that there very well "could be" something there for them to like, once a favorite celeb, teen fashion guru, or favorite media outlet says, "this is IT! You have to have this... it is sooooo cooool <3 <3!!!!"... or whatever they're using for slang these days.

NOTE: Karlie Kloss ?Watch picture 37k likes! Now think what happens if Coco Rocha starts wearing one... or even Jennifer Lawrence? Speaking of JLaw: what if her unfortunate accident leads to iDevices, iCloud and Macs being completely locked down if you want to secure them with the pairing of an ?Watch. Maybe not in v1... but what about v2 or 3? What if parents want to track their younger kids whereabouts without giving them an iPhone?<- yes I know GPS will be needed!

There's still a lot of things that need clarification with the ?Watch... and even more things that will be changed I'm sure shortly after release. Copy/Paste and an App Store for example. Where have we seen that happen before?

^^^^ Seems "cool and hearts" are still a thing... I'm not as old as I or you think I am... :smokey:
  • Reply 213 of 284
    techlover wrote: »
    It's true apple isn't usually first with most things, features, etc. But eventually they usually nail most of it down in a way that is pretty great for lots of people.

Then there are people like me (and you I presume, but I do not want to speak for you) who like playing with everything and maybe want to (I'm randomly picking here) do something like rip a movie to a .mkv and watch on it my mobile device with multiple audio and subtitle tracks available.

I loved the first iphone, then I was sad when it could not play a video that was not specifically encoded in a manner approved fit to be played.

Your right for most the iPhone is the perfect phone, easy to use, fast, attractive (though I think iOS it's beginning to look a little on the cartoony side), lots of great apps, good support, etc. I will also give credit where credit is do, Apple took a bunch a good ideas and packaged them all into one great one and as such changed the mobile phone landscape forever.

My personal needs unfortunately will probably never be met by Apple's mobile gadgets, unfortunate yes, but there are many other great products on the market that do. My new BlackBerry Passport arrived on Tuesday and it's incredible, BB OS 10.3 is hands down one of the best mobile OS I have ever used, man this thing is fast. I will of course still use the iPad for the foreseeable future as their are some really fantastic apps that I have become depended on. However before I buy a new one it will need to have 2GB+ memory, which I'm sure Apple will deliver in their next iteration.
  • Reply 214 of 284
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Your right for most the iPhone is the perfect phone, easy to use, fast, attractive (though I think iOS it's beginning to look a little on the cartoony side), lots of great apps, good support, etc. I will also give credit where credit is do, Apple took a bunch a good ideas and packaged them all into one great one and as such changed the mobile phone landscape forever.

My personal needs unfortunately will probably never be met by Apple's mobile gadgets, unfortunate yes, but there are many other great products on the market that do. My new BlackBerry Passport arrived on Tuesday and it's incredible, BB OS 10.3 is hands down one of the best mobile OS I have ever used, man this thing is fast. I will of course still use the iPad for the foreseeable future as their are some really fantastic apps that I have become depended on. However before I buy a new one it will need to have 2GB+ memory, which I'm sure Apple will deliver in their next iteration.

Dear god.  A blackberry passport?  I wouldn't give one of those to a friend with cancer....  er.... wait, let me rephrase that :)

Awful, terrible and horrible attempts at humor aside, I am curious why a passport?  Have you been a BB fan before?  Is it really as good as you are saying or are you exaggerating?

Seriously, I was oddly compelled by it.  I have not played with one yet, but I plan on handling one soon.  Maybe this weekend I can make it to a phone store.

• Reply 215 of 284
    [QUOTE name="TechLover" url="/t/182700/teens-tepid-on-apple-watch-as-iphone-and-ipad-steal-android-marketshare/200#post_2616223"]

Dear god.  A blackberry passport?  I wouldn't give one of those to a friend with cancer....  er.... wait, let me rephrase that :)

Awful, terrible and horrible attempts at humor aside, I am curious why a passport?  Have you been a BB fan before?  Is it really as good as you are saying or are you exaggerating?

Seriously, I was oddly compelled by it.  I have not played with one yet, but I plan on handling one soon.  Maybe this weekend I can make it to a phone store.
    [/QUOTE]

It was the Porsche Design P'9882 that got me interested in BlackBerry again, specifically the OS. Then of course there is the mechanical keyboard, love phones that have one. The Passport isn't for everyone, it's a work phone, those who use their phones mostly as entertainment devices should defiantly look else where, that however doesn't mean you still couldn't watch a movie or play a game, just know that most things aren't formatted for a 1:1 aspect ratio. That being said as a business and work phone this thing is pretty wonderful and defiantly makes others look like a toys in comparison. Now before you jump all over me for that comment you need to see the way this thing handles; email (messaging in general), spreadsheets, documents, file management and my favorite part, the terminal. I can actually for the first time comfortably code using a phone. I was even able to start compiling a program through the terminal in the background, surf a little, come back as if I never left and start testing the application. The system is very stable, even while running many apps in the background, including using the file manager to transfer a file from one computer to the other. Displaying a movie via Miracast is a real treat, every mobile OS can only do so by tying up the entire system to that single task, BB OS 10.3 treats it as separate entity, meaning I can continue using the device why watching a movie. The notification system is bar none the best I have seen as of yet on mobile device. I'm still compiling a list of apps that work the best on it but so far everything I want to run on it works very well. Also really like that it has a Mini SD card slot, I bought a 128GB card specifically for it. All in all it's worth a look, defiantly different than what's currently on the market and it's the first device in a very long time that truly is a work phone.
  • Reply 216 of 284
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ^ post

BIG thanks for all your posts on the BB Passport and its new OS10. Without you I (we) really wouldn't be getting much info on the phone, nor the platform. Now I'm sure there aren't many people wanting to run terminal commands or compile an app on a smartphone it is indeed quite an accomplishment from BB. That said, I myself am more interested how apps look as the screen is square and I presume 3rd party apps aren't. But I'll look it up right now and will post back.

Best to you Relic.

edit:

I like the looks of it!

So, 4k is on its way(?)

Well, the article doesn't agree there:
    Here’s a breakdown of this very capable camera:
    • 13MP Auto-Focus
    • Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
    • 5-element f2.0 lens
    • Back Side Illumination
    • LED Flash
    • 1080p HD video recording at 60fps
    • 6DOF video stabilization
    • 5x digital zoom
    • Continuous & touch to focus, image stabilisation

Overall 4K shooting is totally useless. But as table stakes it’s great that BlackBerry is planning for the support. It shows they are market aware and working to keep their devices competitive against contenders like the larger iPhone and Note 4 slated for later this year.
    What do you think – Does 4K video recording add value to the already impressive device?

Screendumps, forget that, can't find any, maybe the passport cannot save a screen from an app. So, only photos then:

Here are a few screenshots:
    http://crackberry.com/check-out-bevy-blackberry-passport-os-103-screenshots
  • Reply 217 of 284
    philboogie wrote: »

BIG thanks for all your posts on the BB Passport and its new OS10. Without you I (we) really wouldn't be getting much info on the phone, nor the platform. Now I'm sure there aren't many people wanting to run terminal commands or compile an app on a smartphone it is indeed quite an accomplishment from BB. That said, I myself am more interested how apps look as the screen is square and I presume 3rd party apps aren't. But I'll look it up right now and will post back.

Best to you Relic.

edit:

I like the looks of it!

So, 4k is on its way(?)

Well, the article doesn't agree there:
    Screendumps, forget that, can't find any, maybe the passport cannot save a screen from an app. So, only photos then:

Here are a few screenshots:
    http://crackberry.com/check-out-bevy-blackberry-passport-os-103-screenshots

I haven't tested the camera extensively yet so I don't know about 4K filming but nor do I think I'm really interested in using the BB for such things. 1080P suits me just fine for the time being and for capturing video my Nokia 1020 still does the job perfectly as it takes beautiful shots, details are sharp and colors are vibrant, I have yet to feel that I needed anything more.

Most apps look just fine, especially the top 100 that everyone uses, you know, Instagram, Twitter, FaceBook, Kingsoft Office (which is now my favorite office app), VLC, EverNote (though I prefer OneNote), FlipBoard, Pinterest, etc. What a person will love doing on the Passport is typing emails and documents, just an absolute treat.

As you can see from the picture below, most phones with a 16:9 aspect ratio would have to be used horizontally to see the same thing as the Passport but you will also loose a lot of work space.

blackberry-passport-iphone-6-3.png

Multitasking is a breath of fresh air, as tiles are live in the overview you will see a movie being played, transfer bar moving when copying files to a networked server or computer and the terminal app will show the progress of one my apps being compiled on a remote computer, now this is real multitasking, none of that pausing of apps crap. The battery is still decent even while using 6 apps in the background, I get a good 8 hours of battery when using the Passport like a tablet, that's pretty good. Multitasking wise the Passport delivers beautifully, with it's 3GB of memory to help make this run as smoothly as possible. The real treat comes when surfing, as a stress test I opened 6 forums, clicked reply, typed a few paragraphs into each one, minimized the browser, typed up an email real quick and then went back to the browser to find all 6 forums still in their same state, no refresh, fantastic, just what the doctor ordered. Not to mention the browser has Flash, yes, yes Flash is dead, unfortunately someone forgot to tell people as I keep coming across sites that use it, so this is a welcomed feature regardless of the feelings around here for it.

IMG_20140930_093209-580-100.jpg

The Passport is a lovely machine, with it's extremely powerful OS, lots of memory, tons of storage, 164GB with the added SD Card, decent enough CPU especially when the OS is optimized for it, fantastic resolution, yea, it's turning out to be the perfect addition to my collect. Again though, I don't think it's the phone for those seeking for a multimedia powerhouse, specifically games but if working is your game I strongly suggest the Passport over any phone currently of the market today. I just love multitasking on this thing.

[video]

[video]
  • Reply 218 of 284
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    I laugh, because come on, there's really nothing new left in fashion. Everything crazy, or mismatched as been tried already. I lived through the 1980s after all ;-).

So, right now young women wear Yoga pants instead of jeans.... Woopeedoo.. such Impressive fashion leap. If anything, teens are less adventurous than in the 1980s. I wore leggings with Doc Martens and shirts I stole from my boyfriend in the 1980s... All that with big hair and dark heavy eyeliner.  Yes, it was a very personal look...

Anyway, teens fashion change every 2-3 years so Apple is certainly not relying on them to be their first audience cause who know were they'd be at any given point. Who would think that wearing giant headphones and looking like a dork would be in, I put that right up with Jericurls and monster shoulder pads as a bad look.

I guess if you don't follow fashion, you might think that. Same thing if you don't know many teenagers. Or young twenty something's.
  • Reply 219 of 284

That’s right; the new trend is skin-tight spats. So tight that shadows are created which highlight a glans penis or vulva, as relevant.

... Right? Maybe I’m looking at the wrong childrens’ crotches.

• Reply 220 of 284
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Dear god.  A blackberry passport?  I wouldn't give one of those to a friend with cancer....  er.... wait, let me rephrase that image

It was the Porsche Design P'9882 that got me interested in BlackBerry again, specifically the OS. Then of course there is the mechanical keyboard, love phones that have one. The Passport isn't for everyone, it's a work phone, those who use their phones mostly as entertainment devices should defiantly look else where, that however doesn't mean you still couldn't watch a movie or play a game, just know that most things aren't formatted for a 1:1 aspect ratio. That being said as a business and work phone this thing is pretty wonderful and defiantly makes others look like a toys in comparison. Now before you jump all over me for that comment you need to see the way this thing handles; email (messaging in general), spreadsheets, documents, file management and my favorite part, the terminal. I can actually for the first time comfortably code using a phone. I was even able to start compiling a program through the terminal in the background, surf a little, come back as if I never left and start testing the application. The system is very stable, even while running many apps in the background, including using the file manager to transfer a file from one computer to the other. Displaying a movie via Miracast is a real treat, every mobile OS can only do so by tying up the entire system to that single task, BB OS 10.3 treats it as separate entity, meaning I can continue using the device why watching a movie. The notification system is bar none the best I have seen as of yet on mobile device. I'm still compiling a list of apps that work the best on it but so far everything I want to run on it works very well. Also really like that it has a Mini SD card slot, I bought a 128GB card specifically for it. All in all it's worth a look, defiantly different than what's currently on the market and it's the first device in a very long time that truly is a work phone.

That is a nice write up, thank you I appreciate your opinions.

It seems like BB is on to something with the passport.  I hope they sell enough of them that they make a 2.0 version.  I like the idea of the keyboard using touch to do something like scroll on the screen.

I hope you continue to enjoy it.