iCloud Drive allows OS X Yosemite users to store any type of file in the cloud

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It is not a chore to do this with Dropbox. You put a file in a folder. Then you share the link with whoever and tell them they have X days to retrieve it. Use Hazel to watch that "folder" and delete any files after X days. Pretty simple.

that involves installing third-party programs (that I've never heard of) and configuration. the new mail drop feature does it w/o needing to do that.

• Reply 42 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Soli, Does drop box have this same watched folder on your boot drive that ultimately limits the file size to that of available space on your boot drive. Apple's iCloud Drive would be a nice solution if this watched folder could be relocated. As it is my available space is so small on a new Mac Pro's SSD as to be useless. Also, does Drop Box upload only when activity is low like Apple iCD? I know it has sharing which is nice and Apple doesn't.

i use symlinks for my dropbox folders to pull in content from outside the dropbox folder. it's like a folder shortcut, keeps your content wherever it is but makes DB think it's local to it. perhaps it will work for iCD as well.

ln -s /path/to/desired-folder ~/Dropbox/desired-folder

Another easy way to do this with Terminal is type the “ln -s” part, then from Finder drag the folder/file that you want into the Terminal window, then drag the Dropbox folder, and hit return.

http://lifehacker.com/5154698/sync-files-and-folders-outside-your-my-dropbox-folder

• Reply 43 of 94
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

i use symlinks for my dropbox folders to pull in content from outside the dropbox folder. it's like a folder shortcut, keeps your content wherever it is but makes DB think it's local to it. perhaps it will work for iCD as well.

Another easy way to do this with Terminal is type the “ln -s” part, then from Finder drag the folder/file that you want into the Terminal window, then drag the Dropbox folder, and hit return.

http://lifehacker.com/5154698/sync-files-and-folders-outside-your-my-dropbox-folder

Using the Terminal? What is that? I have never heard of it. Looks hard. Oh my! Hey, when is Apple going to release Photos? I can't edit my photos with their limiting applications. Wait, I can purchase Third Party apps. 

Admitting you haven't heard of Hazel may indicate you are a little to deep in the kool-aid bowl.

Throw in TextExpander and three keystrokes handles your performed email with the shared link. 

• Reply 44 of 94
    Hey look, iDisk!
  • Reply 45 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Can iCloud Drive be used to make a Time Machine backup? I'd like to backup a cloud copy of my external HD.

Not tried that but if it did work remember you'd be creating the data in a folder on the boot drive as well as uploading to the iCD.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Great info thanks. So no actual duplication of any files locally as with iCD.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    The features in iCloud Drive are starting to return features we at NeXT used daily and could not go without. I look forward to it matching what we had [we had a lot of extended capabilities internally built-into NeXTSTEP/Openstep never released to the public].
  • Reply 48 of 94
    muppetry wrote: »

Note, however, that you can create symbolic links (not aliases) to any directories on any drive on your system and place that link in your Dropbox directory (avoiding directories that include the DB directory in their heirarchy of course). DB will then include the contents of those directories as if they were in the DB directory.

Good to know, thanks.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The features in iCloud Drive are starting to return features we at NeXT used daily and could not go without. I look forward to it matching what we had [we had a lot of extended capabilities internally built-into NeXTSTEP/Openstep never released to the public].

I can't believe th sophisticated software NeXT released, or used internally, is similar to iCD. The stupidity of having a folder, or sparse disk image like iDisk, has to be on the startup volume, mandatory. Sure, a sim link is the workaround but I don't think that is what Apple had in mind, especially not after hiding the Library from users.

Must be awkward to max out a Mac Pro with a 1TB SSD and then find out that you're unable to get a 1TB iCD subscription due to a lack of storage space as OSX takes up a couple of GB's.

No, if this all is true, and it sure looks that way, Apple completely screwed up here.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This is the NSA's dream.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    So what's the difference between iCloud Drive and iDisk from 3 years ago?
  • Reply 52 of 94
    philboogie wrote: »
    I can't believe th sophisticated software NeXT released, or used internally, is similar to iCD. The stupidity of having a folder, or sparse disk image like iDisk, has to be on the startup volume, mandatory. Sure, a sim link is the workaround but I don't think that is what Apple had in mind, especially not after hiding the Library from users.

Must be awkward to max out a Mac Pro with a 1TB SSD and then find out that you're unable to get a 1TB iCD subscription due to a lack of storage space as OSX takes up a couple of GB's.

No, if this all is true, and it sure looks that way, Apple completely screwed up here.

I'm still trying to find the data in the ~/Library. I looked in Users ? ~ ? Library ? Application Support ? CloudDocs but I can't see any stuff I manually place on iCD show up there. The weird thing is sorting by date added doesn't help either! You'd think that would immediately reveal the location of a file being added to the ~/Library. By the way that reminds me ... a bug in 10.10 is if you alter the sort type in ~/Library, 9 times out of ten it crashes the Finder's ability to show the ~/Library and you have to reopen with the option key again in Go menu.

You mention a sim link work around ... care to elaborate on this? That's why I'm trying to locate the data.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm still trying to find the data in the ~/Library. I looked in Users ? ~ ? Library ? Application Support ? CloudDocs but I can't see any stuff I manually place on iCD show up there.

~/Library/Mobile Documents, right/option-click, Open in New Tab.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why do you think it's supposed to be different here? 

dropbox-like functionality is, as Jobs told Dropbox's founder, a feature, not a product.

Well that they took the time to post a story about iCloud being able to handle every file type. I didn't understand why this was news worthy.

• Reply 55 of 94
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple finally has Dropbox, unless you use Dropbox because you want to share files and folders with various individuals.

Who says it has to be either/or?

• Reply 56 of 94
    solipsismx wrote: »
    ~/Library/Mobile Documents, right/option-click, Open in New Tab.

~/Library/Application Support/iCloud Docs

I doubt there is a way to fool this with symbolic links to get it off the boot drive, do you?
  • Reply 57 of 94
    I'm still trying to find the data in the ~/Library. I looked in Users ? ~ ? Library ? Application Support ? CloudDocs but I can't see any stuff I manually place on iCD show up there. The weird thing is sorting by date added doesn't help either! You'd think that would immediately reveal the location of a file being added to the ~/Library. By the way that reminds me ... a bug in 10.10 is if you alter the sort type in ~/Library, 9 times out of ten it crashes the Finder's ability to show the ~/Library and you have to reopen with the option key again in Go menu.

You mention a sim link work around ... care to elaborate on this? That's why I'm trying to locate the data.

EDIT:

Yep you are right. The files are renamed and in mine are in the f folder

• Reply 58 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    steveh wrote: »

Who says it has to be either/or?

At this point, you have no choice in sharing an iCloud folder with another individual.

~/Library/Application Support/iCloud Docs

I doubt there is a way to fool this with symbolic links to get it off the boot drive, do you?

I'm not sure how to interpret your comment.

As for fooling the symbolic links, things with Apple have a way of breaking if you try to get too clever with their core components. One (presumably) safe solution would be to make your boot drive the larger, external drive, or if your current boot drive is an SSD you could also create a Fusion Drive in Terminal with ease (but will require you reinstall your system). These obviously require the external drive be present, which is probably a reason not to use it, as well as speed if it's something like USB 2.0.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    solipsismx wrote: »
    At this point, you have no choice in sharing an iCloud folder with another individual.
    I'm not sure how to interpret your comment.

As for fooling the symbolic links, things with Apple have a way of breaking if you try to get too clever with their core components. One (presumably) safe solution would be to make your boot drive the larger, external drive, or if your current boot drive is an SSD you could also create a Fusion Drive in Terminal with ease (but will require you reinstall your system). These obviously require the external drive be present, which is probably a reason not to use it, as well as speed if it's something like USB 2.0.

Sorry I wasn't clear, the link was where I found some data. The path you gave just opens the iCloud again, same as Finder left side, not the hidden data in the ~/Library

Yes I'd love a larger internal SSD for my new Mac Pro ... alas still waiting for such a thing.

Booting to an external isn't an option really. The speed loss would be too much of a miss.

Meanwhile ... I discovered another thing about iCD. As you upload from one Mac, iCD is not only uploading to the cloud it is also downloading to all Macs's ~/Libraries you have on the same Apple ID. I am still testing these may be previews only ...
  • Reply 60 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    By the way that reminds me ... a bug in 10.10 is if you alter the sort type in ~/Library, 9 times out of ten it crashes the Finder's ability to show the ~/Library and you have to reopen with the option key again in Go menu.

After opening the ~/Library folder I added it to the sidebar, Cmd-Ctrl-T if I'm not mistaken (used to be Cmd-T but that creates a new Tab in the Finder nowadays)

As for iCD being on the startup disk, it stupid. No sim link or Fusion Drive is a solution for the masses. What is. The reason for not using sy links to the files in their original location itself? Kinda like an Aperture Referenced Lib?