iCloud Drive allows OS X Yosemite users to store any type of file in the cloud

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple finally has Dropbox, unless you use Dropbox because you want to share files and folders with various individuals.

I think the 5GB attachments to email work perfectly for this scenario. Users not on 10.10 simply get a link.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

from inside apps. the MR community is up in arms about the lack of an iOS app, but the point of iOS is that its app-driven. apps can now browse iCD to find files. 

What the **** has the MR community NOT ever been up in arms about? Go to any article, and the comments are 95% negative. Even the editors compose most articles with a negative twist. Trolls is what keeps that place in business. Bend-Gate originated from there. If you go by that community, every decision Apple has made since its existence has been catastrophic. It's a cesspool of Apple hatred. 

• Reply 63 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    philboogie wrote: »
    After opening the ~/Library folder I added it to the sidebar, Cmd-Ctrl-T if I'm not mistaken (used to be Cmd-T but that creates a new Tab in the Finder nowadays)

As for iCD being on the startup disk, it stupid. No sim link or Fusion Drive is a solution for the masses. What is. The reason for not using sy links to the files in their original location itself? Kinda like an Aperture Referenced Lib?

Nice tip on ~Library :) Remember you can drag stuff there too but not off externals that dismount sadly. Well you can but they vanish on dismount and don't come back unlike to dock.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    It looks like Apple has copied (at least in my opinion) the worst feature of Dropbox. I became suspicious when I copied several gig to iCloud Disk, and it appeared to copy the files as quickly as copying them to a local folder. That's because that's exactly what it does. It also mimics Drop Box in that the default drag and drop action appears to be 'move' rather than 'copy', which I guess is consistent with the local folder issue. For me this is terrible. The only way I could use Dropbox was with the web interface, as that keeps it from copying all the contents to my local drive (which is where I don't want them since I took the time to put them on a different drive) . I guess I'll be using iCloud Drive the same way. Shame. I've really missed iDisk since that went away.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't get it, what exactly is so special about this. I have been able to upload any file type I choose in OneDrive and Google Drive plus share for a very long time now, what exactly is different here. iCloud is defiantly catching up in the feature department which is great but I still prefer OneDrive, especially for storing my movies and photos, I just love being able to stream whatever video file that I have stored either using the web interface or a video app. The web interface will also convert any media file into .mp4 on the fly as well. In iOS when I'm using cloud storage I have to first download a movie before I can play it unlike Android or BB 10.3 where you can stream videos directly as cloud storage is seen by apps as a local directory so no downloading necessary. So being able to use Onedrives web player to watch my stored movie collection on my iPad is a great alternative.

If I stream a film from iTunes on iOS, it starts playing within seconds.

• Reply 66 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You know what I was referring too. I don't rent or buy movies from iTunes, I still buy BluRay's and then rip and encode them myself. After that I upload them to either my Google Drive or OneDrive to watch across all of my devices. I don't mind using a streaming service like Netflix or Spotify but I have no interest in purchasing media that I can only use with one program, especially a program that isn't available on all of my devices. I use the iTunes store for purchasing apps on my iPad, that is the only exposure I have or want to that program.

• Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

You know what I was referring too. I don't rent or buy movies from iTunes, I still buy BluRay's and then rip and encode them myself. After that I upload them to either my Google Drive or OneDrive to watch across all of my devices. I don't mind using a streaming service like Netflix or Spotify but I have no interest in purchasing media that I can only use with one program, especially a program that isn't available on all of my devices. I use the iTunes store for purchasing apps on my iPad, that is the only exposure I have or want to that program.

Sure.

It's still a great feature of iTunes! Any tv show, film or music I buy from there, I can watch or listen to pretty well immediately without having to store anyway locally or in the cloud.

• Reply 68 of 94
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    gtreible wrote: »
    It looks like Apple has copied (at least in my opinion) the worst feature of Dropbox. I became suspicious when I copied several gig to iCloud Disk, and it appeared to copy the files as quickly as copying them to a local folder. That's because that's exactly what it does. It also mimics Drop Box in that the default drag and drop action appears to be 'move' rather than 'copy', which I guess is consistent with the local folder issue. For me this is terrible. The only way I could use Dropbox was with the web interface, as that keeps it from copying all the contents to my local drive (which is where I don't want them since I took the time to put them on a different drive) . I guess I'll be using iCloud Drive the same way. Shame. I've really missed iDisk since that went away.

I don't really understand your problem with iCloud or DB. How else could it work if it is synchronizing folders? It needs a directory to synchronize from/to, which has to exist somewhere on a physical drive. By default all the content that you want to include will be in that sync directory (unless you use symbolic links to sub-directories on other physical drives). So if you don't want that content on your boot drive then either don't put your sync directory there or use symbolic links.

And if you do leave your DB sync directory on your boot drive, and then copy files to it, how could you not expect them to end up there? DB does not have a default "drag and drop" action - that is a Finder function, and has always been "copy" between drives and "move" within a drive. And how does using the web interface change anything - it still syncs the files to the DB directories on your linked machines unless you specifically exclude them, in which case it is no longer a file synchronization service, just a manual backup.
  • Reply 69 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Sure.

It's still a great feature of iTunes! Any tv show, film or music I buy from there, I can watch or listen to pretty well immediately without having to store anyway locally or in the cloud.

Oh no doubt, it's just something that I prefer doing. That way I can share my media collection within my family.

• Reply 70 of 94
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

In my opinion, iCloud is halfway there.  To get all the way, iCloud needs to offer the ability easily to share any document via a link.

• Reply 71 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    512ke wrote: »
    In my opinion, iCloud is halfway there.  To get all the way, iCloud needs to offer the ability easily to share any document via a link.

Mail Drop offers that. In fact, as [@]PhilBoogie[/@] notes, in some ways it now trumps Dropbox, Sugar Sync, et al. because it doesn't take up your allotted iCloud Drive space.

For example, I'll be able to send people the iOS 9 beta (which I assume will be about ?1.5 GiB) over Mail Drop next year with a simple link without having to setup a new folder in Dropbox, add the IPSW, share the folder with those that will need that IPSW, and then get back with them to see if they DLed it so I can then delete the IPSW or the shared folder to regain that space.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

For some reason after upgrading I got a drive alright, but all my files are in a root folder and not in any app folder, has this happened to anyone else?

• Reply 73 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Mail Drop offers that. In fact, as @PhilBoogie notes, in some ways it now trumps Dropbox, Sugar Sync, et al. because it doesn't take up your allotted iCloud Drive space.

For example, I'll be able to send people the iOS 9 beta (which I assume will be about ?1.5 GiB) over Mail Drop next year with a simple link without having to setup a new folder in Dropbox, add the IPSW, share the folder with those that will need that IPSW, and then get back with them to see if they DLed it so I can then delete the IPSW or the shared folder to regain that space.

Just to be clear - in Dropbox you can share individual files - you don't need to create a separate folder and share that.

• Reply 74 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Just to be clear - in Dropbox you can share individual files - you don't need to create a separate folder and share that.

Sure, but it uses your storage space. My understanding of Mail Drop is that you can send a file up to 5 GiB to someone and never worry about it again. If that's how it works that a convenience to which I look forward.
  • Reply 75 of 94

Sure, but it uses your storage space. My understanding of Mail Drop is that you can send a file up to 5 GiB to someone and never worry about it again. If that's how it works that a convenience to which I look forward.

That will certainly useful, especially for anyone who doesn't otherwise need to pay for large amounts of storage. I have 1 TB, so files even up to a few GB are just in the noise.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

For some reason after upgrading I got a drive alright, but all my files are in a root folder and not in any app folder, has this happened to anyone else?

Further debugging my problematic iCloud drive scenario, I also have an issue from switching to and from it from the side bar. That is when I go from another sidebar item to iCloud drive sometimes all my files show up instead, or the previous item on the sidebar shows up, airdrop for example.. When I do a find there, it reverts to All My Files. And even stranger I can do a show in enclosing folder for a file, a pages file say, then I can see all files for Pages and the Pages path on top but there's no iCloud drive as the enclosing drive under that as a path...

Really strange behaviour, is anyone getting this? 

• Reply 77 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Remember you can drag stuff there too but not off externals that dismount sadly. Well you can but they vanish on dismount and don't come back unlike to dock.

Yup, that sucks. I'm just glad the auto-mount feature is back in 10.10 is the Sidebar icons points to something on a different Mac. I really missed that in 10.9

gtreible wrote: »

Fully agree. There's really no point in putting the iCD mirror on your bootdrive mandatorily. They could've build a DB which points to the files it needs to sync over. Those that are off line will sync once they are online again. It really is pisspoor design, the referenced library in Aperture is the same thing and that does work.

I don't really understand your problem with iCloud or DB. How else could it work if it is synchronizing folders? It needs a directory to synchronize from/to, which has to exist somewhere on a physical drive. By default all the content that you want to include will be in that sync directory (unless you use symbolic links to sub-directories on other physical drives). So if you don't want that content on your boot drive then either don't put your sync directory there or use symbolic links.

No, this is pisspoor design. There really is no need for it to put it on the bootdrive. And they will change this, as people who buy the same amount of iCD storage as their bootdrive is can't make use of iCD as the bootdrive always has less free space due to the installed OS.

One thing to keep in mind though is the 30 day retention time. Still, it's way longer than the crap my fellow (3) Dutchmen created with WeTransfer.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    philboogie wrote: »

No, this is pisspoor design. There really is no need for it to put it on the bootdrive. And they will change this, as people who buy the same amount of iCD storage as their bootdrive is can't make use of iCD as the bootdrive always has less free space due to the installed OS.

In the case of iCloud I don't disagree that forcing the sync folder to be on the boot drive seems like an unfortunate restriction, but my comments were more directed at the other poster's various misunderstandings of how a sync folder works and his confusion of the distinction between copy and move.
  • Reply 79 of 94

I guess 'synchronization' is the fallacy in my thinking.  I have used utilities in the past that were designed to keep two folders in synchronization, so I can appreciate the concept, but my need for that is extremely limited and I certainly wouldn't want to do that with an entire drive at the expense of duplicating everything on it locally.  My use of a cloud drive is as a place to store away little bits and pieces like pictures and PDFs and and text I might find useful for some project.  I have no plans to edit much of this stuff and if I wanted it on my local drive I would have put it there.  This is the way iDisk (an incredibly useful feature) used to work.  I just don't see where synchronization is useful on an entire drive full of files (assuming backup is a different issue)

• Reply 80 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

It's exactly that. I've been using it for a while in the beta form and it works like a dream. The end user if not using Yosemite simply got an link to download. Now Yosemite is out those users' mail simply adds the attachment back in no muss no fuss. Seamless to say the least. The file also auto expires freeing the space ... in 30 days I believe.