iCloud Drive allows OS X Yosemite users to store any type of file in the cloud

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's exactly that. I've been using it for a while in the beta form and it works like a dream. The end user if not using Yosemite simply got an link to download. Now Yosemite is out those users' mail simply adds the attachment back in no muss no fuss. Seamless to say the least. The file also auto expires freeing the space ... in 30 days I believe.

I wonder how secure the link is. Meaning, how complex is the link that it would be unlikely for hackers to download content you think you're sending to a private individual. Would I want to send private data with this method? Should Apple implement a passcode option?
  • Reply 82 of 94
    I for one am not going to be trapped by migrating my most recent device (a 2013 iMac) to iCloud Drive.
    Because I will lose compatibility with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and one appleTV.
    Why can't Apple just provide small incremental updates to older systems, in order to *not* *further* *fragment* *the* *Apple* *Ecosystem* ?
  • Reply 83 of 94
    Why can't Apple just provide small incremental updates to older systems, in order to *not* *further* *fragment* *the* *Apple* *Ecosystem* ?

You mean how MS allows for decades of backwards compatibility to prevent fragmentation?
  • Reply 84 of 94

Well, what good is it to have an iCloud Drive on one device, while it'll take years before all my other iDevices will be replaced with new ones so they can take advantage of this feature? I am not that rich to renew my entire iDevice park at the whim of a new software feature that provides no backward compatibility whatsoever with older devices. Pfff.

These days Apple seems to focus more on switchers and new customers that on people who actually have many devices which *could* be part of the ecosystem.

• Reply 85 of 94
    Well, what good is it to have an iCloud Drive on one device, while it'll take years before all my other iDevices will be replaced with new ones so they can take advantage of this feature?

1) It doesn't do you any good, but you're wanting Apple to forego advancing the state-of-the-art to support products you've chosen to up update since 2010 or earlier. That's your decision and no company serving a world market should base their decisions on your specific buying habits (or lack thereof).

2) What does the Apple TV have to do with this?
  • Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, but it uses your storage space. My understanding of Mail Drop is that you can send a file up to 5 GiB to someone and never worry about it again. If that's how it works that a convenience to which I look forward.

One thing to keep in mind though is the 30 day retention time. Still, it's way longer than the crap my fellow (3) Dutchmen created with WeTransfer.

If Mail Drop works for large file transfer the way Soli describes, that would be very convenient if it is just transfer, not sharing that is desired. I was just going to suggest WeTransfer though. I've been very happy with the free service. I am curious to know why you think it is crap. (I don't have a problem with the short retention time).

PS: I was born in Holland, so I can say if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much! ;) 

• Reply 87 of 94

1) True enough, my particular situation probably is of little interest, but actually, many Apple users (in particular the ones that own several iDevices) are in the same situation. They may only benefit from the new advances when the time comes that they have to replace their older iDevices.

2) point well taken. For the time being, at least, the appleTV doesn't make use of the iCloud Drive

• Reply 88 of 94
    1) True enough, my particular situation probably is of little interest, but actually, many Apple users (in particular the ones that own several iDevices) are in the same situation. They may only benefit from the new advances when the time comes that they have to replace their older iDevices.

My experience from these forums is that what we here want isn't want the the majority wants. My laundry list of desires (that I also think would be either very easy for Apple to implement and/or profitable) is long, growing, and only occasionally gets reduced. Such is life.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

2) point well taken. For the time being, at least, the appleTV doesn't make use of the iCloud Drive

Which is why I don't use an Apple TV, all of my movies are stored on the cloud. It's fine though, there's nothing that the Apple TV has that I want, I use an HP ChromeBox that currently satisfies all of my needs in terms of a TV entertainment system.

• Reply 90 of 94
    If you're gonna spend that much, I think you'd be better off getting a copy of office 365.

Same storage, but for up to five people (along with 5 copies of office and 100 Skype minutes a month). So basically 5 terabytes in total, full office, some Skype time for about 70-80 if you buy just the product key off of Amazon.

Then again, YMMV.

As far as I know, Dropbox and MS are about as deeply infested with NSAIDS tools as eachother, so there's no benefit in that regard for going with one over the other, either.
    I must test it out, my concern is if it also uses a watched folder on a start up drive and duplicates all files to be uploaded there first.

It may be using both is the answer, each has its own strengths. Apple's iCD certainly has its own strong points and of course nothing can or ever will compete with it for the family shared Apple eco system per se, but for off line storage form pros and sharing Drop Box seems to offer more assuming, as I say, it doesn't impact the boot volume storage as does AiCD..

Asked and answered by Soli
  • Reply 91 of 94
    iCloud Drive on iOS is slap into face to iOS users. laughably implementation of Dropbox.
    Browsing only with third party tool, no direct storage from iOS, no save from web or mail for files, no management. :no:
  • Reply 92 of 94
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Not using iCloud unless they add the following:

- browser filetype viewer
    - set expiration data and password for sharing link to files
    - sharing files with a team
    - choose how your team can share files and what happens when you remove them from an team
    - th ability to exclude folder(s) from syncing to save storage
  • Reply 93 of 94
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lastmiracle View Post

Does anyone know what's happening to Photostream? Is it still the same as before where Apple would store 1000 photos for free or for 30 days, then new photos overwrite old ones?

I am so confused now with photos automatically show up everywhere on my devices. Do pictures from different devices show up in collections simultaneously across all devices? (And are these considered Photostream?)

That's why I shut that off ages ago: got sick of the duplication and confusion. I get photos transferred when I sync and that's sufficient for me anyway. Granted I shoot more with dSLRs and other digitals than my phone, YMMV.

• Reply 94 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    BTW I was surprised to see my data going up to an Amazon server not Apple!

AWS was (and still is) also used for Photo Streams, the old way. It syncs your photos streams over even without having Aperture open. Anyway, I'm going to pull the plug on doing it the old way and have just enabled the iCloud Photo Sharing beta feature. This will break my iTunes syncing, but that's ok. Any modified photos I can upload by exporting them from Aperture and upload them to https://beta.icloud.com/#photos

Another thing, iCD max files size is 15GB, possibly why your upload of Aperture.library went pear-shaped.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201104

Unfortunately there is no direct way to handle PDFs in iCloud Drive with iOS8.

Huh? Simply copy them to the Pages folder.

PS: I was born in Holland, so I can say if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much! ;)  

Ha! Goedemorgen in dat geval.