CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 21 of 502
    Apple should produce advertisements about Apple Pay vs. CurrentC how retailers want to data mine your information, and that if you value your privacy you'll shop at Apple Pay aware retailers.
  • Reply 22 of 502
    At its core, this isn't a war against Apple, it's a war against the credit card cartel; MC, Visa etc and the fees they charge merchants. I can't wait to see them start refusing plastic credit cards. Costco can get away with that, and perhaps Walmart, but not Best Buy or Sears.
  • Reply 23 of 502
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just shut up and go away.

What is your fucking problem? Logic irritates you?

• Reply 24 of 502
    ibeam wrote: »
    Remember that computers were going to create a paperless office? Thirty years of personal computing has killed more trees than any invention in the history of man. Ideally we should get both a digital copy of the receipt as well as a small piece of paper, rather than a full sheet 8.5 x 11 for each receipt you need to print out later. Not to mention the hassle of finding an AirPrint printer or emailing to your desktop and paying for the ink and paper.

Personal computers don't kill trees.

US Congress banning Hemp to be used for Textiles production, including Paper production [due to the Paper Logging joint relationship, DuPont and others] is the reason more trees have been used, via PRINTERS.
  • Reply 25 of 502
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Logic irritates you?

Post some and we’ll see. Or just stop posting entirely because you’ve yet to show you’re capable of a coherent thought.

• Reply 26 of 502
    plovellplovell Posts: 825member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gkroeger View Post

At its core, this isn't a war against Apple, it's a war against the credit card cartel; MC, Visa etc and the fees they charge merchants. I can't wait to see them start refusing plastic credit cards. Costco can get away with that, and perhaps Walmart, but not Best Buy or Sears.

Even Costco accepts American Express. 

But as soon as WalMart or BestBuy announce that they will no longer accept credit cards, but only debit cards, cash or CurrentC, then I'll start the popcorn. That will be fun to see.

• Reply 27 of 502
    Remember that computers were going to create a paperless office? Thirty years of personal computing has killed more trees than any invention in the history of man. Ideally we should get both a digital copy of the receipt as well as a small piece of paper, rather than a full sheet 8.5 x 11 for each receipt you need to print out later. Not to mention the hassle of finding an AirPrint printer or emailing to your desktop and paying for the ink and paper.

I paid $45 for a Canon printer in 2012. It supported AirPrint with a firmware update. Likewise, another one I bought this year for $60 supported it. I hardly think it's a hassle unless you're desperately clinging to your LaserJet 4L.

gkroeger wrote: »

They charge fees for a service. Not quite the same as drug lords.

This is something we can actually unite with Android users on, creepily. They're blocked out by this crap as well. If it weren't for the inevitable lawsuit I'd say Apple and Google should remove the CC app from their respective stores.

Honestly, Apple can probably still do it because it duplicates functionality built into iOS.
  • Reply 28 of 502
    Quote:

Post some and we’ll see. Or just stop posting entirely because you’ve yet to show you’re capable of a coherent thought.

Since you are so offended by my post about paper please, line by line, critique each point I have made and please include the reason that you find it so objectionable and inappropriate, rather than just that you consider it to be incoherent.

• Reply 29 of 502
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I paid $45 for a Canon printer in 2012. It supported AirPrint with a firmware update. Likewise, another one I bought this year for $60 supported it. I hardly think it's a hassle unless you're desperately clinging to your LaserJet 4L.

I have no printer at home. At the office we have some monstrosity network color printer/copier/emailer/collator/scanner/bindery thing

• Reply 30 of 502
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Since you are so offended by my post about paper please, line by line, critique each point I have made and please include the reason that you find it so objectionable and inappropriate, rather than just that you consider it to be incoherent.

Please don't feed the trolls.  Thanks.

• Reply 31 of 502
    At least we know where to shop from now on
  • Reply 32 of 502
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Rather than working with users' existing credit cards, the QR code will debit the user's checking account or a configured gift card or cards issued under the program.

Suddenly it all makes sense. This is all about avoiding credit card fees.
  • Reply 33 of 502
    thrang wrote: »
    Used at Walgreen's the other day, and today at Bloomingdales - worked great...

Now to get rid of the other nonsense for frequent shopper phone number, signing the display. Receipts should be stored digitally in the phone as well
    Sure it might be an easy place to store receipts but you'll just need to print them out later to get your taxes done.

There'll be an app for that!
  • Reply 34 of 502
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Sure it might be an easy place to store receipts but you'll just need to print them out later to get your taxes done.

How about:

Why in the hell would you need to print out receipts to do taxes?
  • Reply 35 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Suddenly it all makes sense. This is all about avoiding credit card fees.

Exactly. ?Pay has secured the lowest possible fees due to the virtual elimination of fraud. Our company accepts all credit cards from around the world through our website. We have customers in China, Korea, India, even Iran and Russia, paying with all sorts of credit cards but the fees are enormous because of no card present and from a foreign bank. Something like 8-9% in some cases.

• Reply 36 of 502
    chickchick Posts: 35member
    My emails expressing my opinion have gone off to both CVS and Rite Aid. No expletives but I let them know that they would no longer be patronized by me unless they allowed Apple Pay to be used in their stores. Let the marketplace determine which system prevails or if they will coexist.

Chick
  • Reply 37 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How about:

Why in the hell would you need to print out receipts to do taxes?

Because I have a CPA that wants it that way. What are you a 1040EZ?

• Reply 38 of 502
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    plovell wrote: »
    The killer for me is that these CurrentC folks want DIRECT ACCESS to my BANK ACCOUNT !!

You can't use a credit card. 

So, they want me to give them all my personal data, to have and to hold on systems with who-knows-what security, and also let them pull money directly from my bank !!

There's a good reason I never use a debit card in stores. Only at a bank ATM. It's the same reason that says that this direct-access plan is stupid.

This is a very obvious point, and I'll go one further...

Ever since the advent of "pay by phone", everyone tries absolutely everything they can do to discourage using credit cards. They want you to give them your checking info so that
    1) They can debit your account directly
    2) Put you on recurring billing
    3) Not question the charges.

There is absolutely ZERO protection from f**k-ups doing it this way. CurrentC, like PayPal also does this, they want access to your banking info and will use it exclusively even if you have credit cards.

The entire user-tracking bit is hilarously stupid. Apple does something GOOD here and the idiot companies cry like babies that their own solution doesn't get used. GEE THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WHEN YOU WERE ACCEPTING GOOGLE WALLET.

This wouldn't fly in Canada or Europe since we have NFC payment terminals everywhere... everywhere EXCEPT BestBuy and Target who have their own chip+pin payment terminals without it. And we have Interac Flash in Canada, which does exactly what CurrentC proposes, except using NFC, and offers protection http://www.interac.ca/index.php/en/interac-flash/interac-flash-for-consumers

Like the entire problem with getting Apple Pay adopted in Canada is simply the lack of will of Canadian banks. They are already charging high fees on transactions already they're not going to give that up so easily. You can use Apple Pay right now in Canada with your US-issued bank cards if you want to give it a whirl.
  • Reply 39 of 502
    Quote:

Please don't feel the trolls. Thanks.

• Reply 40 of 502

You don’t print out receipts to do taxes. It’s not that complicated a concept to grasp if you just read the posts.

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Please don't feed the trolls.  Thanks.

You meant to reply to me.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Please don't feel the trolls. Thanks.

Like this, see?