CVS joins Rite Aid in blocking Apple Pay in "CurrentC" plan to collect more customer data

Comments

• Reply 61 of 502
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    1. Go To CVS. FILL a shopping cart full of stuff
    2. After cashier rings up your $200-$500 tab, whip out your iphone...
    3. Upon learning they WONT accept NFC, refuse to provide another credit card
    4. "OK, no problem. Cancel this order, Im just going to go over to Walgreens"
  • Reply 62 of 502
    A comprehensive list of Merchant Customer Exchange members:
    • 7Eleven
    • Acme Fresh Market
    • Alon
    • Bahama Breeze
    • Banana Republic
    • Baskin Robbins
    • Bed Bath & Beyond
    • Best Buy
    • Buy Buy Baby
    • The Capital Grille
    • Christmas Tree Shops
    • Chilis
    • Circle K
    • Conoco
    • CVS/pharmacy
    • Dick's Sporting Goods
    • Dillards
    • Dunkin Donuts
    • Eddie V's Prime Seafood
    • ExxonMobile
    • Face Values
    • Gap
    • GetGo from Giant Eagle
    • Giant Eagle
    • HMS Host
    • Hobby Lobby
    • HyVee
    • Kmart
    • Kohl's
    • Kum n Go
    • Longhorn Steakhouse
    • Lowe's
    • Maggiano's Little Italy
    • Meijer
    • Michaels
    • My Goods Market
    • Old Navy
    • Olive Garden
    • Philips66
    • PriceRite
    • Publix
    • QuikTrip
    • RaceTrac
    • RiteAid
    • Sam's Club
    • Sears
    • Seasons Fresh Grill
    • Sheetz
    • Shell
    • ShopRite
    • Southwest Airlines
    • Sunoco
    • Target
    • Walmart
    • Wawa
    • Wendy's
    • Yardhouse

Any merchants that accept ApplePay or NFC will retain me as a customer. Companies that actively prohibit the use of NFC will not see another dollar from me:

Best Buy
    CVS/pharmacy
    RiteAid
    Walmart

Perhaps I am wrong. These companies do have a stellar record in information security:
    • Sears Holding Company/K-Mart reported malicious software targeting their Point of Sale systems that compromised customers' credit card information on 10 October 2014
    • CVS/Caremark reported that "CVS Caremark is in the process of notifying the affected members that due to a programming error, letters intended for fewer than 350 plan members were sent to incorrect addresses" on 30 July 2014
    • Rite Aid Pharmacy reported that someone stole a" stack of expired prescription records from a Rite Aid pharmacy in Milton, the company announced Wednesday" on 30 July 2014
    • Lowe's reported that that one of their third party vendors backed up information related to these current and former employees to an unsecure computer server that was accessible from the Internet on 19 May 2014
    • Sears reported that the Secret Service is investigating Sears Holdings Corporation as a target of a similar security breach that hit Target and Neiman Marcus toward the end of 2013 on 28 February 2014
    • Michaels Stores Inc. communicated with customers as to the possibility of a security breach regarding customers payment cards on 25 January 2014
    • Wal-Mart reported that two men fraudulently obtained $400,000 by placing skimming devices at gas pumps at Wal-Mart stores on 29 July 2013
    • Gap, Banana Republic reported that a customer received a package from Banana Republic that contained documents with employee Social Security numbers, tax forms, resignation letters, legal notices, doctors' notes, and performance reviews on 16 July 2013
    • Kmart, Sears reported that a thief accessed $6,000 in cash and an unencrypted backup disk with a day's worth of customer information on 23 April 2013
    • Rite Aid Corporation a customer reported using RiteAid's mobile app to check a prescription noticed that he was able to access the names, addresses, and prescription records of other customers on 27 September 2012
    • Chili's reported that a dishonest employee was arrested for using a skimming device to steal customer credit card numbers at Chili's on 29 August 2012
    • Rite Aid Corporation reported that misplacement of paper documents resulted in the exposure of health and/or other personal information on 12 January 2012
  • Reply 63 of 502
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ask your boss to pay you less. You’re not doing a good enough job trolling here.

You were doing it here for free as a moderator but AI realized you weren't worth it.

• Reply 64 of 502
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    russell wrote: »
    Did you buy your phone because it fits your lifestyle or did you buy your phone so you can fit your lifestyle around it? 

I bought my iPhone to improve my quality of life. To an extent, that involves changing my lifestyle. If a store wants to get in the way of that, I'll avoid shopping there.

It would be insane to claim the iPhone hasn't changed the collective lifestyle of the many (maybe even most) of the people alive today.
  • Reply 65 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Bullshit. I'm not going to scan my W2, 1099, bank interest, capital gains, property tax bills and a million other expenses. That would take forever because I don't generally receive them in a secure digital format in the first place. I can't believe there are so many inexperienced people posting idiotic advice on tax preparation.

Not idiotic. Get with the times.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/222221

And don't tell me you can't figure out how to solve the "take forever because" problem:

http://www.docufree.com/solutions/scanning-storage-retrieval/

There are others, just search for "document scanning services" in your area.

Or you can dismiss this as "inexperienced people posting idiotic advice on tax preparation" and go back to telling us how we "don't use logic" or some other troll nonsense.

• Reply 66 of 502
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    [. . .]

<q>A series of retailers are opposed to the success of Apple Pay because the new system keeps user's transactions private and doesn't collect or track their purchasing history, providing the store with little more than the funds to cover the sale</q>

However, a series of retailers are opposed to the success of Apple Pay because the new system keeps user's transactions private and doesn't collect or track their purchasing history, providing the store with little more than the funds to cover the sale.

[. . .]

But some of its partners are blocking already Apple Pay in the hope that users will set up new accounts to continue shopping with them.

no time to proofread the "article" ... plenty of time to write it twice though ... and must get it out as fast as effing possible.
  • Reply 67 of 502
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

It would be insane to claim the iPhone hasn't changed the collective lifestyle of the many (maybe even most) of the people alive today.

Talk about myopic. (most people alive today) LOL Really?

• Reply 68 of 502
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't understand why there is so much damn bickering in this thread.

Is there anybody here who actually supports what CVS and Rite-Aid is doing?

Is there anybody here who actually supports the harvesting of personal data by shady and untrustworthy companies?

Then what's the problem?

• Reply 69 of 502

What part of that do you have a problem with?

The part where you’re completely fine with the contradiction and are blaming Apple, et. al. for it when alternatives exist.

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

You were doing it here for free as a moderator but AI realized you weren't worth it.

Your post having what to do with anything?

• Reply 70 of 502
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    ibeam wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with you? I have not criticized Apple whatsoever. I merely stated I need printed receipts and that I'm am an environmentalist trying not to kill trees. What part of that do you have a problem with?

You did no such thing. See your original post (emphasis mine):
    Sure it might be an easy place to store receipts but you'll just need to print them out later to get your taxes done.

I don't need to do anything. I already have a system in place that lets me save thousands on taxes while avoiding trouble with the IRS, and as a bonus I don't have to kill any trees. (Or, at least any more than I absolutely have to to deal with government bullshit)
  • Reply 71 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There are others, just search for "document scanning services" in your area.

Sure it *CAN* be done, however I collect all my paperwork all year long and hand deliver it to my accountant who has an office right around the corner. Nothing could be more hassle free.

• Reply 72 of 502
    Quote:

What the hell is wrong with you? I have not criticized Apple whatsoever. I merely stated I need printed receipts and that I'm am an environmentalist trying not to kill trees. What part of that do you have a problem with?

I'm actually an anti-environmentalist and I have no problem with killing and murdering trees.

I bought a new printer a while ago, a huge Brother laser printer that prints out a ridiculous number of pages per minute, and I am constantly printing things out from my iPad and other computers that I have just for the hell of it.

• Reply 73 of 502

Here’s what I sent to CVS Customer “[Dis]Service”:

I’m not sure why your company wants to offend its customers, but the choice to disallow NFC payments such as Google Wallet and Apple Pay is probably something that MBA and marketing students will be using as case examples of stupidity for decades to come. Business 101: When a customer wants to buy what you have, sell it to them. Make them want to come back and buy it again from YOU, not a competitor.

Customers that want to use these mobile payments are smart, have higher incomes and the willingness to spend it, and are also technologically knowledgeable. Sounds like the kind of customers you want to attract rather than annoy and disenfranchise.

Perhaps you should also remind yourself about what customer “service” means, but not to worry as I’m sure you’ll have fewer customers to worry about offending if your company keeps this policy in place for long. The customers you have left will turn you into another Kmart.

I’ll be taking my money and rewarding other merchants from now on so they can prosper, not you.

• Reply 74 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The part where you’re completely fine with the contradiction and are blaming Apple, et. al. for it when alternatives exist.

You are completely full of shit. 

• Reply 75 of 502
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

The best part about Apple Pay is that you don't have to pull up and app beforehand.  Tap and touch and go.  

Anything more is too much trouble and will fail in comparison.  Customers will make the choice and they will choose Apple Pay.

• Reply 76 of 502
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm actually an anti-environmentalist and I have no problem with killing and murdering trees.

I bought a new printer a while ago, a huge Brother laser printer that prints out a ridiculous number of pages per minute, and I am constantly printing things out from my iPad and other computers that I have just for the hell of it.

I usually don't print because my ink cartridges tend to be empty lol. Though this Canon I have has been better than most, the cartridges actually last a long time. I should get a laser printer though.

Sure it *CAN* be done, however I collect all my paperwork all year long and hand deliver it to my accountant who has an office right around the corner. Nothing could be more hassle free.

Storing a year's worth of reciepts is hassle free? What? :\

And having to drive there? And go where people might have Ebola?
    Talk about myopic. (most people alive today) LOL Really?

Well, considering how just about everyone now has a device in their pocket that allows them to access the entirety of collected human knowledge with just a few taps, I would say yes, the iPhone has changed people's lives forever. Even if they don't use an iPhone.
  • Reply 77 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

The best part about Apple Pay is that you don't have to pull up and app beforehand.  Tap and touch and go.  

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have my AMEX loaded in, but still having issues with my BoA card. I called twice, still have bad info in the billing address.

• Reply 78 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I usually don't print because my ink cartridges tend to be empty lol. Though this Canon I have has been better than most, the cartridges actually last a long time. I should get a laser printer though.

I had gone through so many of those crappy color printers that cost around $100, with their stupid expensive cartridges that don't last long at all.

That's exactly why I decided to spend a little more this time and get a big laser printer. It will far outlast any of those other crappy printers that I owned before, not to mention that the quality is great. I don't need color. I just need great quality black & white.

• Reply 79 of 502
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I bought my iPhone to improve my quality of life. To an extent, that involves changing my lifestyle. If a store wants to get in the way of that, I'll avoid shopping there.

People probably said the same thing when color TVs came out, but are you sure you want to center your life around a $199 cell phone with a 2 year contract?

• Reply 80 of 502
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Storing a year's worth of reciepts is hassle free? What? image

Are you kidding me? That is how it is done in the US. I'm not sure where you live but if you want to save money on taxes you must itemize which requires proof of expenses.