Apple's A8X powers iPad Air 2 graphics faster than Google's Nexus 9 with Nvidia Denver Tegra K1

Comments

• Reply 161 of 181
    Dang [@]Relic[/@] is there any gadget that you don't get you hands on?

I mean not that I'm jealous or anything. Nope, not at all. Not jealous at all. Not even one bit :)
  • Reply 162 of 181
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Dang @Relic is there any gadget that you don't get you hands on?

I mean not that I'm jealous or anything. Nope, not at all. Not jealous at all. Not even one bit image

I do buy an inordinate amount of gadgets don't I, the funny thing about it is I don't even mention half the stuff I get. I try to only discuss them when they have something to do with the thread. What can I say, I like things that beep.

• Reply 163 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] I can dig it. I wouldn't mind if you talked about them all but some folks might.

I remember when I asked about your bb passport in a thread that had run it's course by page 5 and we still had a complaint about derailing the thread.

Anyway I like your in depth information. I'll admit that I sometimes need to do research just to get up to speed on some of the stuff you say. Some stuff you say is simply beyond my level of intelligence, which is awesome.
  • Reply 164 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] hey I sent you a pm. Not sure if I did it right. I should have asked first, but did you get it?
  • Reply 165 of 181
    Quote:

@Relic hey I sent you a pm. Not sure if I did it right. I should have asked first, but did you get it?

No TechLover, I didn't, that's strange, can you resend it, I'll make sure to reply in a most haste period of time.

• Reply 166 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] I'm a complete moron, but I think I got it this time.
  • Reply 167 of 181
    Quote:

@Relic I'm a complete moron, but I think I got it this time.

Yeah I'm still learning what the right button of the mouse does.

• Reply 168 of 181
    techlover wrote: »
    [@]Relic[/@] I can dig it. I wouldn't mind if you talked about them all but some folks might.

I remember when I asked about your bb passport in a thread that had run it's course by page 5 and we still had a complaint about derailing the thread.

Anyway I like your in depth information. I'll admit that I sometimes need to do research just to get up to speed on some of the stuff you say. Some stuff you say is simply beyond my level of intelligence, which is awesome.

This thread is about the A8X.

Please stay on topic.
  • Reply 169 of 181

This thread is about the A8X.

Please stay on topic.

Hahahaha. Well done.
  • Reply 170 of 181
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,575member

Have you actually seen Lollypop? 
    In a surprise the first phone to get the Lollipop OS update isn't a Nexus. It's the Moto X "pure edition" owners, some of them beginning to get prompts for it today.
  • Reply 171 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In a surprise the first phone to get the Lollipop OS update isn't a Nexus. It's the Moto X "pure edition" owners, some of them beginning to get prompts for it today.

It is defiantly a little strange, especially when my Nexus 5 has been rocking the "L" Preview since June. I know most of you dislike Android but this version is defiantly good, the new look, speed, battery improvements, low memory footprint, which is actually very low when compared to say a phone with TouchWiz, heck even iOS. My Nexus 9 only shows 340mb being used by the system upon a fresh reboot, that's pretty fantastic if you ask me, a phone with only 512mb could easily run it. In fact I have an HTC Desire Z that's still unopened, I got 4 years ago at a work Christmas gift exchange. It only has 512mb of RAM, just might be worth installing Android 5 on it, especially that it has a keyboard, who knows, might be the perfect phone for chatting and emails. What do you guys think, should I open it and try when the new ROM is released..

• Reply 172 of 181
    relic wrote: »
    It is defiantly a little strange, especially when my Nexus 5 has been rocking the "L" Preview since June. I know most of you dislike Android but this version is defiantly good, the new look, speed, battery improvements, low memory footprint, which is actually very low when compared to say a phone with TouchWiz, heck even iOS. My Nexus 9 only shows 340mb being used by the system upon a fresh reboot, that's pretty fantastic if you ask me, a phone with only 512mb could easily run it. In fact I have an HTC Desire Z that's still unopened, I got 4 years ago at a work Christmas gift exchange. It only has 512mb of RAM, just might be worth installing Android 5 on it, especially that it has a keyboard, who knows, might be the perfect phone for chatting and emails. What do you guys think, should I open it and try when the new ROM is released..

I know I would like know if a 4 year old HTC with 512mb ram will run lollipop. I can't believe that the footprint of the os is that small.

Pardon my ignorance but I'd totally be down with knowing how you do it. I've never tried such a thing.
  • Reply 173 of 181
    Quote:

I know I would like know if a 4 year old HTC with 512mb ram will run lollipop. I can't believe that the footprint of the os is that small.

Pardon my ignorance but I'd totally be down with knowing how you do it. I've never tried such a thing.

It just takes a little research and knowing the right websites. When it comes to Android phones there is a no better place than XDA. Android phones are notorious for having short lives when it comes to updates, XDA provides an outlet where you could keep pretty much every phone on the market updated to the newest and greatest versions for at least 5 years. If you go here, you will see a list of available ROMS and tools to help flash the HTC that I mentioned earlier. A big misconception on flashing is that it's not easy to do and requires someone who is very knowledgeable, not true at all, at least not anymore, most have one button flashing utilities making it extremely easy and once their flashed updates come via OTA like any original factory installed ROM. In fact in most cases I prefer custom ROMs to the factory, especially if the phone is a Samsung as TouchWiz is God awful crap. Anyway keeping an old phone like the HTC Desire Z could be advantageous, especially for those on a budget, in my case I get to play around with a solid phone that has a keyboard.

• Reply 174 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] Good stuff, thank you for the info. I need to get into this, never realized just how mature and easy this all is. Looks like people like you have done all of the heavy lifting already to make it dead simple for folks like me.

Maybe I'll pick up a decent cheap used phone and start messing around with it just to get comfortable.

Thanks again dude. Give me a few weeks to get my shit in order, I'll no doubt have some questions for you.
  • Reply 175 of 181
    Quote:

@Relic Good stuff, thank you for the info. I need to get into this, never realized just how mature and easy this all is. Looks like people like you have done all of the heavy lifting already to make it dead simple for folks like me.

Maybe I'll pick up a decent cheap used phone and start messing around with it just to get comfortable.

Thanks again dude. Give me a few weeks to get my shit in order, I'll no doubt have some questions for you.

I'm a dudette, not a dude, your welcome and it's fun to do.

• Reply 176 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] :)

Sorry it's a bad habit of mine.
  • Reply 177 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] :)

Sorry it's a bad habit of mine.

No problemo, just pulling your chain. I'm really enjoying my Nexus 9, it's a developers wet dream. I got Linaro booting up in CLI, Linaro is an open source project aimed at creating tools, Linux Kernels and GCC binaries that are designed specifically for ARMv8. I'm compiling everything from scratch to maximize performance and compatibility, there won't be a single library that isn't being utilized, the same with any applications I install, including CLI tools. This is all new territory for me, dealing with a 64Bit ARM chip, one thing is obvious though, I'm going to have to build my own Linux Distro from scratch as there are no plug'n play options available yet for the Nexus 9. Which is fine, I've done it many times, did it with my Nexus 10 before Ubuntu became available. I won't use a package manager quite yet as like I said I want everything to be compiled first, though I guess I could use Arch Linux's, PackMan or Gentoo Linux's,Portage, which offer compiling from source but that would mean unnecessary bloat due to a bunch of libraries to get them working. Low memory foot print is the name of the game, like Apollo 13, where the astronauts only had 32 amps to power everything for re-entry, I only have 256mb, well that's my personal limit. Why such a limit, virtual machine, my Linux Distro for the Nexus 9 will basically be a virtual machine server, need to render something, I'll start up a VM Linux image specifically for that task, same goes for encoding, LAMP server, NAS server, cluster node, or whatever else I need. So much fun.
  • Reply 178 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] 256mb is not much. Then again you said lollipop was under 400 or so.

Even if you get the re-entry computer up and running, without enough memory you won't be able to get the parachutes to open. And you can forget about needing the parachutes if the heat shield isn't intact. The last thing you need is a main bus B undervolt... wait what am I taking about again?

I love that movie.

Sounds like you are making progress. No kidding about uncharted territory, I'm in way over my head here but enjoy the updates.
  • Reply 179 of 181
    [@]Relic[/@] 256mb is not much. Then again you said lollipop was under 400 or so.

Even if you get the re-entry computer up and running, without enough memory you won't be able to get the parachutes to open. And you can forget about needing the parachutes if the heat shield isn't intact. The last thing you need is a main bus B undervolt... wait what am I taking about again?

I love that movie.

Sounds like you are making progress. No kidding about uncharted territory, I'm in way over my head here but enjoy the updates.

I'm definitely in new territory, especially creating a viable ARM 64bit Linux platform to start creating my projects. I love it, I haven't had this much fun since I got my first SGI machine. I remember a while back, a dear friend of mine bought an Power Macintosh 8600, basically it was a rejuvenated 840 AV, and boy was it was loaded, 300 Mhz, 1GB RAM, 4GB HD, 4MB VRAM upgrade, a drool worthy machine for the time. He was a semi-professional video artist who filmed weddings, stock footage, low end commercials (local car dealership stuff), Anyway he was king of the hill with his new toy. Ss you know, like the 840 AV, the 8600 had built in AV inputs and outputs. Boy did he rave how great it was, rubbed my nose in it every chance he got, especially after I bought a SGI O2 instead. Yeah I bought a SGI O2, it was a hard decision but at the end of the day I wanted a Unix machine and the O2 wasn't super expensive. It contained a MiPS RM7000 (which I later upgraded to a R10000/400 which boosted the machine 10 fold), I think it was 350Mhz, 1GB RAM, 2x 4GB HD, along with a bitchin video card, it had a dedicated accelerator for video effects called ICE.

Anyway he teased me about the SGI, saying it was clunky and wasn't worth the price I paid for it To further humiliate me, he showed how easy it was to import video, edit, add simple effects like fading and credits, etc. using Adobe Premiere 4.2. So after his demonstration, I told him to bring over his external HD drive that contained a copy of the wedding video he shot and had to edit because of a deadline. So I loaded it up to my little SGI O2, fired up Adobe Premiere 4.2, yep the same version was available on Irix at the time. I got up from my chair and told him to sit down and start editing his video. The first thing he noticed was how much faster the UI was but what really got him was when he started to add effects, a simple transition, a slide, for instance, it did it in real-time (this is 1997). Encoding the video to a DVD Mpeg 2 is a synch, click start, continue editing, with zero lag. SGI workstations are not the fastest but they do multitasking like no other system out there, well okay, a Sun Workstation as well and defiantly the new mac Pro’s, but again this 1997. Unix man, nothing else compares. Continuing; while running Premier, I fired up Media Illusions from Avid, it’s kind of like Adobe After Effects. I showed him how to add a 3D bubble effect using footage from the wedding, where the couple kiss, I made a bubble enter the room, engulf the couple while their kissing, and then the bubble got bigger until it filled the entire screen, just showing the couple kissing, nothing hard but very impressive to watch none then less. I also showed him Discreet Frost, another commercial product for TV production, real time effects. Now a lot of this software had a lot of zeros behind their cost, I acquired them from a computer club. Computer clubs were popular at the time, we traded software, hacked, program etc. Great learning experience and yes I used pirated software, but I never used them for profit, only for playing around and learning, especially software pertaining to the O2, my God were they expensive. Yeah, I know, no excuse, I don’t do it anymore and I most defiantly pay for all of my software, I was a young stupid hacker.

So he defiantly stopped calling my O2 crap and he actually started to come around to my apartment a lot more to use the O2, probably 4 times a week. The O2 was able to handle two incoming video signals at a time, so you could input an analog video camera source and video player at the same time while encoding the incoming sources in real time. Don’t get me wrong, he used the Mac and it was really good editing, and I was even jealous because I wanted one too. When it came to crunch time, he liked using the O2 for encoding and adding some effects that weren't available on the 8600. Look I had like 15 grand worth of commercial televise production software, so yeah, any video guru would drool over what I had installed. You could also use multiple applications at once, encode multiple video clips at a time and the system would still chug away as if nothing was running. That’s why people bought them at the time. I also had two 20” SGI Monitors, which he liked. Now we can do the same stuff on a MacBook Pro with ease or if you need real power buy a Mac Pro. For the time guys, the things the SGI could do just wasn't available on other platforms.

The O2 served me well during the time I had it, wasn't my favorite SGI machine, not by a long shot. That honor still goes to the Tezro, which I still own and use periodically. I use it mostly as a stress reliever as every time I use it, a smile appears across my face. So I’ll keep it forever or as long as it still functions.

Oh my gosh, why did I go through all of that, flashback man, got to lay off of the acid, wow. Oh yeah, I remember why, memory, the Mac and SGI only had 1GB and I they were able to do wondrous things. 256MB is plenty, trust me, I've written Linux distro's that ran from a floppy disk and used 2mb of RAM. I once wrote a distro to run off of a Iomega PocketZip, which was a 40mb Zip Drive that fit inside a PCMCIA reader, which I used inside my Japan only Sony PictureBook, with a Transmeta 933Mhz, the America version was only 866Mhz and 600Mhz for the cheapest model. It came with Windows 2000 but I installed Debian on it, faster, not much though as the Transmeta was slow. Geesh Relic, shutup already. Heheheh, bye!
  • Reply 180 of 181
    pedlingpedling Posts: 12member
    The Nvidia Shield tablet runs on Real OpenGL drivers and Nexus 9 runs on OpenGL ES, thats why some Gaming titles only runS Nvidia Shield tablet and Console..

A Dude asking about Trine2 for Non-Nvidia device and gets this Answer from the game developer Frozen Byte:

"Tegra has OpenGL support while Android normally offers just OpenGL ES. Also, it wasn't exactly easy to get T2 running on Tegra. Something that has only about 65 % of Tegra's GPU performance would either take a lot more optimizing (or more likely re-writing) effort or have considerable tuned down looks. It is very doubtful we'd ever get enough sales to cover the cost of porting.

It is quite possible that at some point we'll create OpenGL ES version of our renderer and release T2 for any Android device. Phones and tablets are getting faster at pretty good rate."

An IOS request for trine2...
    Q: "What about iOS version? iPad Air 2 can deliver pretty much same performance as K1(or even higher). And it has Metal.

A: "Well, development time wise Metal is even worse than OpenGL ES. And GPU in iPad (whatever version) is inferior compared to Tegra. So no, we aren't going to do an iOS version unless someone writes us a blank check for development cost healthy profit :D .

-JLarja"

Nvidia Shield tablet and Console is the only ARM device that can run OpenGL 4.5 graphics, like a PC, that why some Titles ported from PC/Playstation will only work on Nvidia Shield products...