Samsung suffered a 73.9% drop in Q3 mobile profits while Apple's rose 11.3 percent

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140

This was predictable.

It's pretty much the beginning of the end of Samsung. Their best days are behind them.

• Reply 22 of 140
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pooch wrote: »
    for those who would gloat ... apple will be in the same position one day. not if, but when. just sayin'.

That means it shouldn't be noted when a company is losing ground? Plus, it's meaningless to make a comment about nothing lasting forever. There is no argument there. You might as well just answer everything with, "In about 5 billion years the Sun will be gone and life on this planet will be dead."
  • Reply 23 of 140
    This was predictable.

It's pretty much the beginning of the end of Samsung. Their best days are behind them.

The most interesting part is that this occurred before there were even rumours of a 4.5" plus iPhone. Now that they exist I expect Samsung and other OEMs to see an even faster drop in the following quarters.
  • Reply 24 of 140
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yet another dragon slayed by Apple.

Should we pop the champagne now or wait until this filthy beast stops breathing?
  • Reply 25 of 140
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    dimmok wrote: »
    Say it again...."Samsung is now earning about one third of Apple's profits while still shipping over twice as many phones"

The problem is that Fandroids will also quote this because they equate more phones sold to more market share which is always better according to simpleton math.
  • Reply 26 of 140
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Poor Samsung. They got suckered by Google and led to believe that POS AKA Android would be a success. Should have stuck to chips, TVs and Fridges Sammy. Just think you could be riding high as Apple's partner.
  • Reply 27 of 140
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That means it shouldn't be noted when a company is losing ground? Plus, it's meaningless to make a comment about nothing lasting forever. There is no argument there. You might as well just answer everything with, "In about 5 billion years the Sun will be gone and life on this planet will be dead."

Apple really are building a space ship, that building is a double bluff.
  • Reply 28 of 140
    Poor Samsung. They got suckered by Google and led to believe that POS AKA Android would be a success. Should have stuck to chips, TVs and Fridges Sammy. Just think you could be riding high as Apple's partner.

They have made and are still making a lot of money using Android. I don't expect them to stop being the dominant Android OEM anytime soon. They also didn't stop making chips and are still making millions of chips per quarter for Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 140
    wigby wrote: »
    The problem is that Fandroids will also quote this because they equate more phones sold to more market share which is always better according to simpleton math.

Of course. Market share is accepted by all major banks. I used it to pay my Verizon bill today.
  • Reply 30 of 140
    I am sure Gatorguy will reveal to us all that Samsung is deliberately losing money, it's to show others how to do it properly ... or something along those lines ... he confuses me at time... :D
  • Reply 31 of 140

True. And Google will likely convince itself that it's winning even more with the likes of the bottom-feeding, shameless, copyists such as Xiaomi since the aggregate numbers will be larger.

Remember their 'billion' (or whatever the ridiculous number was) activations?
  • Reply 32 of 140
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Apple is doomed. /s

Sammy can't copy Apple's profits.
  • Reply 33 of 140

Prior to Android... Samsung was using Windows Mobile and their own proprietary OS.

If Android hadn't come along... do you think either of those two other choices would have been a better decision?

And while Samsung isn't an Apple "partner" per se... they do make a lot of money providing hardware components to Apple and others.
  • Reply 34 of 140
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

for those who would gloat ... apple will be in the same position one day. not if, but when. just sayin'.

Completely and utterly wrong.

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

He's saying it because nothing lasts forever, as marvelous as Apple's accomplishments are

That’s right. Except when something stops lasting, Apple replaces it with something new that will. Macintosh for Apple ][. iPhone for iPod. iPad for laptops.

• Reply 35 of 140
    And with a little effort we can help turn that 60% drop to 100%.
  • Reply 36 of 140

and that's how you do thermonuclear

• Reply 37 of 140
    And with a little effort we can help turn that 60% drop to 100%.
    110%, they owe Apple and MS a lot of money still.
  • Reply 38 of 140

• Reply 39 of 140
    solipsismx wrote: »
    They have made and are still making a lot of money using Android. I don't expect them to stop being the dominant Android OEM anytime soon. They also didn't stop making chips and are still making millions of chips per quarter for Apple.

I know i am just doing a Duane Eddy ...rebel rousing :) Of course these things cannot end overnight nor does Tim burn bridges too soon. However, I am pretty sure the Apple / Samsung chip relationship isn't what it could have been and will only become weaker ASAP as far as Apple is concerned.

I have a feeling that there will come a time when the money they make from Android is offset by what they are no longer making as a Apple's premiere chip supplier. Plus with such dramatic drops in profit their Android division is surely going to comer under fire internally. Possibly budget cuts. Without all that slush money for the media their false successes won't be touted as much and so on. It is s low and agonizing slide I think. There will be others eager to step in as the iPhone rival company too. Not least of which is the sleeping giant Microsoft.

On the other hand Samsung could double down, spend more and try harder ... but i think that would accelerate their problems.
  • Reply 40 of 140
    sog35 wrote: »
    What part of profits dropping 75% dont you understand?

With out huge profits the mobile division Marketing budget and R&D budget will be cut big time. They will be losing even more profits then.

So that means they haven't made any profits up until this point? That means they can't possibly make any profit in the future? That means another Android-based OEM will become the dominate player for this current quarter? Finally, that means Samsung isn't currently making chips for Apple?

That is everything in my comment. Now please explain to me which part(s) are not accurate that would lead to you being so sure I don't understand the term "a drop in profits," which is not the same as going from a net profit to a net loss.