Google Wallet usage surges after much-hyped Apple Pay launch - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 220
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, worse. A layman doesn’t have a clue about that, though.

So Google Android users are cheap copycats too.  

• Reply 62 of 220
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joerecovering View Post

My experience at our local Verizon dealer was different. Customer was my wife.

Customer: "I am interested in your new iPhone"

Clerk: "Have you looked at this Samsung or Motorola phone over here. They have more features, longer battery and they are in stock."

Customer: "No I would like the iPhone"

Clerk: "Just have a look at this other phone over here. I use it and love it." Pulls out a Samsung phone from his pocket.

Customer: "Please can you direct me to the iPhone"

Clerk: Acting frustrated says "sure it is over there" and just points.

Yeah, and that covers another aspect of device choice: kickbacks to the reseller and the resulting pressure tactics used by salespeople to convince customers who don't really have a strong preference or level of knowledge.  Again leading to customers who don't really know about their phone's features.

• Reply 63 of 220
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Smartphones killed dumbphones, so what makes you think the inverse would be true?

My original thought was: if you gave the low-end phone buyers enough monetary incentive (i.e. a big rebate on choosing a dumb phone), would they choose it over the free low-end Android smart phones?  Given that, from what I've seen, cost is the main factor in many low-end phone buying decisions (and that those people generally only use features which were available on dumb phones).

• Reply 64 of 220
    “GUYS GUYS OUR MORTAL ENEMIES ARE SUCCEEDING. QUICK, USE A FEATURE ON OUR PHONES WE’VE NEVER USED BEFORE”
    “Why are they our mortal enemies, again?”
    “BECAUSE THEY NO LIKE US NO MORE”

Honestly, I bet it’s increasing in use due to the media spreading knowledge of its existence wider thanks to the NFC ban at some stores. Thanks again, Apple, for making Android users aware that their phones can actually do something!

Naw, these are just the Android users who think they bought an iPhone and still don't know the difference.
  • Reply 65 of 220
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    auxio wrote: »
    My original thought was: if you gave the low-end phone buyers enough monetary incentive (i.e. a big rebate on choosing a dumb phone), would they choose it over the free low-end Android smart phones?  Given that, from what I've seen, cost is the main factor in many low-end phone buying decisions (and that those people generally only use features which were available on dumb phones).

Disagree. IMO everyone thinks they need a smartphone now and very few would settle for a plain 'ol phone. That ship sailed. I've got a former son-in-law and his mother, both on welfare. Still they insisted they had to have mobile phones, opting for free iPhones last year from one of the major carriers. You know, because they had an image to maintain. ;)
  • Reply 66 of 220
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chadbag wrote: »
    A lot of people probably don't care as long as it does texts, phone calls, camera, maybe browser and calendar.  Conceivably you could come out with new Android-less feature phones that are modern looking in design,  that do the above and sell a bunch to people "upgrading" when their contract is up.

Of course they care because they gave up their dumbphones in the first place.
  • Reply 67 of 220
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Of course they care because they gave up their dumbphones in the first place.

Maybe because the alleged "smart phone" they replaced it with was the only choice?  

• Reply 68 of 220

Maybe because the alleged "smart phone" they replaced it with was the only choice?  

Every hear of 'supply and demand'? The demand went from feature phones to smartphones, thus manufacturers stop making but only a few models of feature phones.
  • Reply 69 of 220
    Quote:

Every hear of 'supply and demand'? The demand went from feature phones to smartphones, thus manufacturers stop making but only a few models of feature phones.

Yes, the masses of feature phone users were demanding low end Android based feature phone replacements...

You have yet to refute the notion that a well designed, modern feature phone with camera, phone, text, browser, maybe calendar would not do well.

• Reply 70 of 220
    Yes, the masses of feature phone users were demanding low end Android based feature phone replacements...

You have yet to refute the notion that a well designed, modern feature phone with camera, phone, text, browser, maybe calendar would not do well.

Those existed already and nobody bought them.
  • Reply 71 of 220

LOL.

and using what OS?
  • Reply 72 of 220
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

... Google Wallet transactions have grown by 50 percent in recent months.

Monkey see, monkey do.

• Reply 73 of 220
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

LOL.

and using what OS?

Why LOL?  The majority of Android "smart" phones could easily be replaced by such a beast and the users wouldn't care a bit.  The majority of Android phones are not "smart phones" but are feature phone replacements that run Android.  The users install no apps, just texting, calling, camera, maybe browsing and a few other built-in features.

Does it matter?  A feature phone stresses its features, not the OS.

• Reply 74 of 220
    Quote:

Those existed already and nobody bought them.

Really?  Show me one.

• Reply 75 of 220

Really?  Show me one.

Negative. If you haven't been paying attention to the industry for the last few years, and going to act as if you did, then I am not going to do it for you. There have been many attempts to make feature phones just shy of smartphones and all have failed. No company is going back to something that failed repeatedly.
  • Reply 76 of 220
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

If Apple did that, it would not have worked as you have to go with a open standard that was already in place (NFC). Otherwise, you'd be asking every retailer to pay for a separate POS attachment for every POS they have. The cost would be way too big and retailers would not support it.

This is why I'm so happy Apple finally got on board with NFC and did it right. The adoption of NFC payments are the future. I love using NFC payments at every chance I get.

All Google has to do now is making a kick-ass biometric phone and take the user's financial information off the damn cloud.

• Reply 77 of 220
    Quote:

Negative. If you haven't been paying attention to the industry for the last few years, and going to act as if you did, then I am not going to do it for you. There have been many attempts to make feature phones just shy of smartphones and all have failed. No company is going back to something that failed repeatedly.

I've been paying attention to the industry, and I cannot recall one.  So, please show me one.   A modern design feature phone level phone that is not a want-to-be smart phone.

All the manufacturers jumped ship to Android for the feature phone level phones, thinking they could fool people into thinking they now have a smart phone.

• Reply 78 of 220
    jmncljmncl Posts: 42member

Love it, the malware can't be far behind then. Android NFC was already known to be insecure.

• Reply 79 of 220
    Why LOL?  The majority of Android "smart" phones could easily be replaced by such a beast and the users wouldn't care a bit.  The majority of Android phones are not "smart phones" but are feature phone replacements that run Android.  The users install no apps, just texting, calling, camera, maybe browsing and a few other built-in features.

Does it matter?  A feature phone stresses its features, not the OS.

Why LOL? Because it's gotta have an OS and who is going to spend time and resources creating and maintaining one that's 'old school" with limited usefulness?
  • Reply 80 of 220
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

looks like you will be selling some swampland.

Apple owns TouchID.  Samdung, HTC, LG have all tried to copy it but have failed.  Swipe fingerprint scanners suck and are incredibly flaky.

What's about iris scanner that Samsung once mentioned? I can't stand laughing if a fandroid at POS keeps staring at the phone until the payment go through..."Sorry, please look straight at the phone screen, again"...lol