Facebook says 66% of Android phones it sees have iPhone 4 era specs from 2011 (or worse)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 169
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And the vast majority of its user base votes GOP.

And next you'll say they all drive pickup trucks... :D 

• Reply 102 of 169
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ivince wrote: »
    A typical Android user complaint about the latest iPhones is all about how they're basically 2012 spec phones. As it turns out ... most Android users are still stuck in 2011 so what does it all matter?

Haha. That's the first thing that came to mind when I read this article. All the "welcome to 2012" crap fandroids were spewing.

Here's a solution for the butt hurts:

GET A BETTER PHONE!
  • Reply 103 of 169

I don't use Facebook on my mobile devices. for that reason, I have uninstalled Facebook from all my mobile devices, including Galaxy S4, Nexus 7, and iPod touch.

• Reply 104 of 169

^

they should actually get an iPhone. There is no such thing as a better phone in the adenoid world.

Remember, adenoid is the bastard whelp of a bunch of bug eating google whores - heads crawling with lice - released for low life basement dwellers. Users not unlike the adenoid basement dwelling dorks that come to these forum to defend their "mom".

• Reply 105 of 169
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Proves that a lot of Android devices are junk or the more powerful Android users go on Google+.

http://sephko.tumblr.com/image/101275314843

• Reply 106 of 169
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ^
    they should actually get an iPhone.

That's what I meant ;)
  • Reply 107 of 169
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    formosa wrote: »
    And next you'll say they all drive pickup trucks... :D  

but don't they all use CB Radio rather than then new fangled phone gadgets?
  • Reply 108 of 169
    30% of Android phones (ie, 25% of all smartphones) now run KitKat. That's almost double the number of phones with any version of iOS. In other words, Android can afford to be fragmented.
  • Reply 109 of 169
    sog35 wrote: »
    So what happenned to all those Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note2, Note3, and Note4?

How can these numbers be correct if Samsung sold hundreds of millions of Galaxies?

Bottom line is they didn't. 

Quite.

Turns out, phablets aren't as popular as one or two people have been making out.
  • Reply 110 of 169
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    splif wrote: »
    Hurray! The same party that drove the car into the ditch & put us on a path of perpetual war is in charge again! What I find amazing is how many working people in this country vote against their own self interests. We already know how this going to play out. Blame everything on the President, hold kangaroo court-like investigations and hearings ad nauseum and not accomplish a damn thing for the people of this country just like the last 4 years. Constantly pound the drums of paranoia and constantly play the victim card. They will also take credit for policies they had absolutely nothing to do with.

political OT...

yes, and 20 TRILLION dollars in debt. or 20 million million dollars...

how are the republicans going to back-track on "no new taxes"... start collecting the ones already on the books?. by closing loophole they created?...

will be an interesting future, when the republicans realize that the US needed to pay its bills.

BTW, Canada has the same debt per capita, but they are maintaining it via the HST of 13% charged at the check-out on nearly everything.. grocerys no,..

how is the US giing to collect more tax when people literally believe that the US stands for freedom as in "free living without taxes" ... instead of the correct interpretation of freedom as in the first Amendment... that freedom requires TAXES.
  • Reply 111 of 169
    haar wrote: »
    splif wrote: »
    Hurray! The same party that drove the car into the ditch & put us on a path of perpetual war is in charge again! What I find amazing is how many working people in this country vote against their own self interests. We already know how this going to play out. Blame everything on the President, hold kangaroo court-like investigations and hearings ad nauseum and not accomplish a damn thing for the people of this country just like the last 4 years. Constantly pound the drums of paranoia and constantly play the victim card. They will also take credit for policies they had absolutely nothing to do with.

political OT...

yes, and 20 TRILLION dollars in debt. or 20 million million dollars...

how are the republicans going to back-track on "no new taxes"... start collecting the ones already on the books?. by closing loophole they created?...

will be an interesting future, when the republicans realize that the US needed to pay its bills.

BTW, Canada has the same debt per capita, but they are maintaining it via the HST of 13% charged at the check-out on nearly everything.. grocerys no,..

how is the US giing to collect more tax when people literally believe that the US stands for freedom as in "free living without taxes" ... instead of the correct interpretation of freedom as in the first Amendment... that freedom requires TAXES.

The problem doesn't lie with the public's willingness to pay taxes.

It lies with the mad desire of the Democrat party to spend far too much money on needless government, which has run up huge debt. The less government there is, the better.

Thankfully, the Republicans are making inroads, so less government spending should be forthcoming shortly.
  • Reply 112 of 169

If we’re going to lie to each other, can we at least do it in PoliticalOutsider and not here?

There really isn’t any room for argument in a lot of these fundamental issues in the first place, you know? The trick to realizing the truth is to tell yourself that you’re a worthless idiot and that everything you believe is wrong. Once you’ve beaten yourself down enough that you believe this, rebuild your view on the topic from the absolute bare logical minimum. Then, without bias, you can see what works and what doesn’t. Most of the time, there’s only one answer.

Yes, you then spend the rest of your life living in fear of the people in charge who are so self-deluded that they have to erect multiple layers of double standards and other mental delusions to pretend that what is wrong is right, but at least you know the truth. That’s all that matters to me, anyway. And hey, you can work toward it now. Maybe fix the problems.

• Reply 113 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

the problem is that you think having old specs is a bad thing - it isn't. I would be very happy with a phone made in 2011 as long as it's capable of browsing, facebooking, texting, and capturing. Not everyone needs the latest features.

and I'm still using a iPhone 4s (2011) and iPad 2 .    Granted both are at 8.1  And that is the issue...  Most Android users have no easy way to update their OS, and Google doesn't care.  

And Apple sweats the fact to support a device software wise for at least 2 years (more like 4).  Google and the Android Cabal.... not so much.

• Reply 114 of 169
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    Hardly breaking news.
    Most of the big Android market share is made of crappy phones. Several Android phones RELEASED in 2014 in real world usage are worst than iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 115 of 169
    jungmark wrote: »
    Proves that a lot of Android devices are junk or the more powerful Android users go on Google+.
    Hardly the latter

rob55 wrote: »
    People actually use Google+?
    Sometimes you are literally forced to use it, by Google.
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised by this number because other analytics indicate that most Android-based devices are simply not used like a real smartphone, until you get into the high-end range.
    Do you think facebook is the way to use a device like a real smartphone ?
  • Reply 116 of 169
    coolfactor wrote: »
    But the owners of these phones also don't care. They just want cheap because they know they can replace with another cheap phone if they have problems. They see the tech world through entirely different lenses than we do. Cheap junk is "good enough" for them.
    Still a lot of them keep complaining about Facebook being crappy. They don't realize it's their hardware to limit what developers could do ....
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So does the iPhone 5c that Apple still sells, so what is the point?

If you really think iPhone 5C to be at the same level of that crappy Android phones you have very poor knowledge about smartphones .... or you are just trolling the forum.

euphonious wrote: »
    I score every time Dilger spews another Android slur piece onto the internet. Sadly it doesn't make up for choking on the verbal dysentery that he shoves down our throats on a regular basis.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dilger's posts are a disease on this website. He also lacks basic intellectual hygiene, given the various sock puppet accounts he posts from in support of them.

Fandroid typical butthurt ?
  • Reply 117 of 169
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Bottom line:
    Android = fragmentation
    Shipped not Sold
    Market share = ghost number
    Web traffic = real number
    Conclusion:
    Android = POS.

I've been saying this forever. Google Analytics doesn't differentiate between iOS device, but it does by Android device, and when you drill down on the numbers, it's often disappointing that the average device people use is not a high end device.

As for Liberal/Conservative tones. The average "Linux" fan tends to be Liberal, and those are the guys buying devices to jailbreak them. But the people making business decisions to port software to Android from iOS or not are probably playing it conservative (eg who wants to LOSE money on Android.) Hence the conundrum of the people who own the best Android devices are much more likely the same people pirating the software.

Where we are in terms of device capability is that Apple makes the most capable device, Samsung follows suit and makes the most "potentially" capable Android device (Galaxy S series) but the average device being sold is still worse than a 3 year old iPhone. The Tablet market is worse. Apple is hands down making the best devices, and nobody is producing anything that matches them in performance. Porting an iPad application to any of these other tablets is certainly a loss-making decision. It's not like you can just run an Android phone application on the tablet, they all have different GPU types.

When you run the Android Emulator images provided by Intel, almost nothing out there works on it. Oh you can download ARM compiled binaries, but there's no translator for them. It's any wonder why Android performance is unpredictable, either you're native-compiling it and going "oh it works great" on your test machine, or you're letting it be translated by Dalvik and have a blind assumption (eg OpenGL ES texture types) that don't work on the underlying GPU become the CPU's responsibility.

Like what I'd like to see from Android benchmarks is actually benchmarking the CPU and GPU based on wrong assumptions like uncompressed textures vs Mali and PowerVR (which is something that happens when developers use Unity.)
  • Reply 118 of 169
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Where does Facebook say these are new phones?? You're claiming Facebook was only interested in NEW phones, so how new? 6 months new, 30 days new? That doesn't even make sense. :no:

You apparently don't know many teenage Facebook users. At least that what I'll blame that silly statement on.

One only has to walk into a store to see these best selling, low end phones that define the Android experience for the majority of it's users.
  • Reply 119 of 169
    techlover wrote: »
    It's yet another hit piece by DED that is working as intended by bringing out the worst in the folks and getting the sycophants foaming at the mouth.

I'm beginning to realize that around here it's far more important to hate everything non-apple than it is to simply like apple.

If you don't let the hate flow through you, then you are evidently doing it wrong at AI.

Nah, more like correcting reports involving Android "market share", that don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Done by presenting an alternative, refreshing viewpoint that is closer to reality.
  • Reply 120 of 169
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So does the iPhone 5c that Apple still sells, so what is the point?

The 5c is at the level of an iPhone 5 not the 4 which this article is about.

Apart from cellular radios giving compatibility to Chinese networks and memory configurations, the 5c and 5 are identical.