iPhone 6, 6 Plus owners complain of easily scratched screens

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 215
    I got a clear case and screen protector for my 6 right away and I've had no problems. The case and screen protector were combined as one package for only $8.88 at

http://www.amazon.com/GreenTerraFirma®-No-Hassle-Warranty-Protector-resistant/dp/B00PLUYZEG/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1418311099&sr=1-1&keywords=clear iphone 6 plus case

As mentioned, the clear case gives a lip around the screen so it doesn't touch the table when it's set down. And it also protects the camera lens from touching anything, even though I got a very thin case... just .5mm.

The clear case also means my 6 is not so slippery!
  • Reply 202 of 215
    tks1tks1 Posts: 1member
    I have had my iPhone 6 Plus for just over a month and last night I noticed a scratch on the screen. No I don't have a screen protector. No, the phone has not been dropped. Yes, I am very careful with it. No, I don't know where the scratch came from. Yes, I am very unhappy about it as I carried an iPhone 4s for four (4) years also without a screen protector, dropped it many times and NOT ONE SCRATCH OR DENT on it!!!!

Sorry, I agree with the writer, the screen is not as good as the older versions!
  • Reply 203 of 215

I'm not taking any chances... picked up a plain, clear case that came with a great screen protector included free of charge. The whole thing was under $14 and so far I'm very impressed.

http://www.amazon.com/COMBO-Protector-No-hassle-protector-GreenTerraFirma/dp/B00PLUYZEG/ref=sr_1_15?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1421776310&sr=1-15&keywords=iphone+6+plus+protector+combohttp://www.amazon.com/COMBO-Protector-No-hassle-protector-GreenTerraFirma/dp/B00PLUYZEG/ref=sr_1_15?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1421776310&sr=1-15&keywords=iphone+6+plus+protector+combo

This may not be the case that everyone wants, but it certainly works for me. And the free screen protector is anti-glare and easy to put on...it's kind of stiff, so goes on without any air bubbles.

• Reply 204 of 215
    I had one of the first iPhones out, and yes I had scratches on it that didn't appear on any of my previous iPhones, however after applying a screen protector it has minimised these. I use a screen protector and a backing case, however the glass edges are crumbling around the phone. I have carried this around in my pocket however - but still I wouldn't expect this kind of damage from this "quality" of device.
  • Reply 205 of 215

Personally I always use a screen protector and a case.  that's the first thing i do when i get a new phone.  especially a nice one like the iPhone.  if you don't you're just asking for it.  my devices always turn out to be in mint condition even after heavy use.  i just peel off the screen protector and case, and it's good as new.  

-r

• Reply 206 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Unless...these scratches which just appeared have a paranormal explanation! image

Just check this app. It`s a Blarmy, Talking Alarm. It  will wake you up and tell you everything about weather, news, calendar events, reminders you need just to unlock your iPhone and press a button.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blarmy-talking-alarm-clock/id1031962733?ls=1&mt=8

• Reply 207 of 215
    got my new 6S on Monday, today is Thursday and I already have a very visible scratch. I just came from a 3 year old 4S and I never had a scratch, not one. This new glass is clearly far inferior, and I agree with the people that find this highly annoying. I don't need to get to into the science of the product, from my experience the glass is far inferior and scratches easily.

Maybe its harder to shatter? Perhaps, but it scratches super easily. The phone is the only item that goes into my pocket.
  • Reply 208 of 215
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton George View Post

I had one of the first iPhones out, and yes I had scratches on it that didn't appear on any of my previous iPhones, however after applying a screen protector it has minimised these. I use a screen protector and a backing case, however the glass edges are crumbling around the phone. I have carried this around in my pocket however - but still I wouldn't expect this kind of damage from this "quality" of device.

Take it back for a replacement. I received mine on release day and carry it all day long in a cargo pocket and it's perfect. Companies that make millions of units sometimes have a lemon sneak through, sounds like you got one.

• Reply 209 of 215
    If you go to http://corninggorillaglass .com/ you can see all devices that use gorilla glass. Apple is not one of them. You can therefore assume it is not using gorilla glass. That is probably why my screen on my new iPhone 6 Plus broke so easily for a single drop at a lot less than the 1 meter test height that gorilla glass is designed for. You have to wonder what Apple test results are like or even if they are readily available, especially when they are making a good turnover to fix them. It is $199 quote to repair a broken screen here in Sydney Australia. Why put all that money towards fixing the fragile thing with the risk of it breaking again. May be better to put that money towards a new Samsung Galaxy phone that does use Gorilla Glass instead.
  • Reply 210 of 215
    So, I always tend to use phone protection on my iPhone~
  • Reply 211 of 215
    I use a matt screen protector on all my phones. I can't stand the glare and I don't want to worry about where I can put my car keys, small change, etc. When time comes to sell I take the screen protector off and sell a phone that looks like it's fresh out of the box so I get an extra $100 for it ;)  
  • Reply 212 of 215
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    626 replies on a product that has sold tens and tens of millions?
    OH MY GOD WHAT A DEBACLE!! TIME TO SPAM EVERY BLOG AND NEWS SITE WITH SENSATIONAL HEADLINES!
  • Reply 213 of 215
    iPhone 6 flawed screen possibly due to lack of Corning Gorilla glass. Apple did not release any report declaring the iPhone 6 is using Corning Gorilla glass. Corning may not have had time to implement their screens before the release date of the iPhone 6 since Apple had an agreement with GTAT (refer to http://www.businessinsider.com/the-real-reason-apple-sapphire-supplier-gtat-went -bankrupt-2014-11). There does seem to be a difference with the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 screens. The cost of repairing the screen of an iPhone 5 is more expensive than the iPhone 6 through Apple Support (refer to https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/ ). Now, the iPhone 5 doesn't have a larger screen nor does the display have more advanced features than the iPhone 6. This suggests that the iPhone 6 screen has a significantly cheaper screen, which is more vulnerable to scratches. The iPhone 6 screen issue may be too expensive for Apple to declare it as a problem and issue free repairs.
  • Reply 214 of 215
    SKSK Posts: 2member
    A growing number of iPhone 6 owners are complaining that their recently-purchased handsets are exhibiting slight surface scratching not seen with previous models, with some alleging flaws in material and design.
    Surface scratches seen on iPhone 6.
    Multiple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus users have taken to Apple's Support Communities forum to report issues with the handset's display cover glass, which they claim is more prone to scratching than previous iPhone models. The thread, now at over 103,000 views and 626 replies, started on Sep. 23 with user jake.underwood26 saying his iPhone 6 Plus exhibited visible scratching near the display's corners after "extremely" good care. Apple's latest iPhone generation went on sale four days earlier on Sep. 19. Many other forum posters followed with similar responses, saying they too found scratches after less than one week of normal use. Some compared the iPhone 6 to past iPhone models, noting previous generations were not as prone to surface scratches even after years of use. The exact material used to shield the iPhone 6 display has not been officially revealed, though some believe it to be Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 branded alkali-aluminosilicate glass. Instead, Apple touts the use of "strengthened Ion-X" glass, an ion-impregnated material purportedly harder than normal covers. AppleInsider has seen the issue first hand from a user who carries their phone in a microfiber satchel. In this case, as seen in the photo above, it appears as though the glass was perhaps raked against a hard, flat surface or etched with small debris, perhaps during polishing. The miniature trenches are deep enough to be felt with a thumbnail and can be seen when the display is turned off. There are any number of reasons as to why Apple's iPhone 6 is seemingly more prone to screen scratches. For one, the latest generation iPhone is the first to use a curved display glass with no bezel "lip" to protect against scrapes. Previous iPhones like the most recent iPhone 5s used flat pieces of glass surrounded by a thermoplastic peripheral material housed in a harder polymer wrap. This structure helped for shock protection, deflecting encounters with foreign objects and would keep the screen protected if laid down on its face. For the iPhone 6, Apple carried over the shock resistant thermoplastic material, but now has it sandwiched between the display assembly and phone body. The hard plastic side wall was also deleted in favor of a cover that curves toward the rounded aluminum chassis. While great for finger feel and gesture control, a curved edge design necessarily leaves the cover glass exposed to contact with hard surfaces. Apple has not officially responded to user reports, though some owners have found success in taking their scratched iPhone in to an Apple Store for replacement. There is apparently no repair protocol entered into Apple's system, however, as other forum members did not receive the same service. AppleInsider has reached out to Apple regarding the issue and will update this story when a reply is received.
    With new oDLC (Diamond-like Carbon) technology, the scratch glass is no longer an issue. Take a look video clips.