iPhone 6, 6 Plus owners complain of easily scratched screens

Comments

• Reply 101 of 215
    I've had my iPhone 6 since late September. I dedicate my right from pants pocket to the phone as I have since the 3. I do sport an Apple leather case, but love the feel of the glass, so no protector. It's all about taking care of precision electronic tool and not treating it like a flip phone from 15 years ago. I'm sure that good ol' Samsung fans the flames of any Apple discontent they can find.
  • Reply 102 of 215

Hey everyone. OP from the Apple forums checking in.

Honestly, this blew up way more than I ever expected. Here's a bit of my story for a better understanding.

Through the first few days, my 6 plus was fine. I, like any reasonable Apple fan, was as gentle and careful with the new device, but let me say now that I did not use a case or screen protector early on. Like some of you here, I usually carry my phone without these things because I've never had any problems.

My phone was always by itself in the pocket as I wanted to make absolutely sure nothing would scratch it (even though keys shouldn't, but whatever). After some time, I began to see hairline scratches in the four corners of the device and could not figure out how exactly it could happen.

Although I don't believe there could be any sand in my pockets, I recognize that that's the most likely culprit. 

The thing that really gets me about this whole situation is that my other phones never had this issue and I used them in the same way as I use the 6+. I hope people get everything resolved because for some, it takes away from the experience of the phone, which I've found to be utterly fantastic despite the scratched screen.

• Reply 103 of 215
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Yeah, it's not the glass; it's the inferior design of the body, compared to the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 104 of 215
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

I've had my iPhone 6 since late September. I dedicate my right from pants pocket to the phone as I have since the 3. I do sport an Apple leather case, but love the feel of the glass, so no protector. It's all about taking care of precision electronic tool and not treating it like a flip phone from 15 years ago. I'm sure that good ol' Samsung fans the flames of any Apple discontent they can find.

Fan or initiate, that is the question...

(and I would include google in there as well. They are at least as slimy as samsung)

• Reply 105 of 215
    I had a layer of tempered glass put on my 6 plus. Works excellently!
  • Reply 106 of 215
    I didn't get a scratch but the screen started separating from the case causing a gap which sand got in, Apple replaced it with a refurb. Unfortunately the front camera is off centre slightly but doesn't affect the picture.
  • Reply 107 of 215
    jakeu26 wrote: »
    Although I don't believe there could be any sand in my pockets, I recognize that that's the most likely culprit.

As long as you don't have sugar in your pockets like Tim Cook. :lol:

Tasteless joke, I know, I know, but I couldn't help myself. ;)
  • Reply 108 of 215
    jakeu26 wrote: »
    The thing that really gets me about this whole situation is that my other phones never had this issue and I used them in the same way as I use the 6+.

The only thing different from previous versions is how the glass is no longer protected by an edge of metal. This could make the sand grind along it since there is barrier in your pocket where the metal would usually be feeling the pressure?
  • Reply 109 of 215

I owned ever generation of the iPhone since 2007. I have only used a screen protector for the first model but ditched them after later versions. The only scratch I've ever gotten was on the 3G & the latest one. (The 3G was accidentally put in the same pocket as my keys a few times...my fault).

I purchased my 6+ on launch day. Treated it just as I did all my previous models. In less than a week I began to notice hairline scratches in the screen corners and a few around the home button. Later, scratches began to appear around the earpiece. I purchase Apple Care for all of my products so I contacted support about the issue. Of course they played dumb and stated there were no known issues with the new screen (even though the thread on the support site had about 10 pages at the time). Now it's obvious that there is a manufacturing issue here. And you trolls can STFU because I take great care of my electronics and this is the first iPhone that I've ever had a scratch problem with (except the one I scratched with the keys). Again, I've owned every iPhone model and never used a POS screen protector or case (after the first model).  Apple needs to own up to this. I still have the event number for my call to support so I will attempt to get my screen (or phone) replaced soon. Thank you AI for bringing this to light.

• Reply 110 of 215
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,401member
    Maybe blue jeans with the little good for nothing mini pocket in a pocket with it's rivets is the culprit. The 6 is a tighter fit so you never know.

Sand in your pocket? I could understand Cheeto dust in a iPhone users pocket, but to get sand in there you'd have to go outdoors. Is that even possible?
  • Reply 111 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeu26 View Post

Hey everyone. OP from the Apple forums checking in.

Honestly, this blew up way more than I ever expected. Here's a bit of my story for a better understanding.

Through the first few days, my 6 plus was fine. I, like any reasonable Apple fan, was as gentle and careful with the new device, but let me say now that I did not use a case or screen protector early on. Like some of you here, I usually carry my phone without these things because I've never had any problems.

My phone was always by itself in the pocket as I wanted to make absolutely sure nothing would scratch it (even though keys shouldn't, but whatever). After some time, I began to see hairline scratches in the four corners of the device and could not figure out how exactly it could happen.

The thing that really gets me about this whole situation is that my other phones never had this issue and I used them in the same way as I use the 6+. I hope people get everything resolved because for some, it takes away from the experience of the phone, which I've found to be utterly fantastic despite the scratched screen.

Guessing the screen is more flush to the sides than before, but even that doesn't explain everything. Being slightly bigger means there's likely to be actually more pressures on the end so whatever's on the bottom, like sand, would overflow to the sides and up on the more exposed corners. Repeated insertions and movement with the slightly higher pressure would grind the corners and push sand up the body of the phone (not falling back because of the tighter fit).  Someone with a looser fit and someone putting their phones in a bag, a purse and some types of cases wouldn't have this issue.

Apple is basically using the same glass tech as everyone and other phones are just as exposed, os I'm guessing it is not just an apple issue.

I put my phone in my purse and never had any issues, and believe me, my purse is not clean of grit ;-); but the phone is quite loose.

• Reply 112 of 215
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    You keep your 14 month baby in the pocket of your tight jeans with your 6 Plus?

I guess your baby is called Houdini.
    Have something better to say than a elementary comment?
  • Reply 113 of 215
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    krawall wrote: »
    Strange. I had a lot of hairline scratches on my 5s but seems my 6+ surface is as pristine as when I bought it. No screen protector and taking care of it but not excessively. Wonder if there are bad batches of glass around.

Not very likely, in fact more likely the inverse of the number of 'bad habits'. :D
  • Reply 114 of 215
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not the glass; it's the inferior design of the body, compared to the iPhone 5.
    There's people who love classic cars for a reason, but most love modern design
  • Reply 115 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

There's people who love classic cars for a reason, but most love modern design

So why then did Apple go backwards with it's case design of the iPhone 6?

Nothing more modern than 'form following function'. Lot of function lost with the newer case design.

• Reply 116 of 215
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Um, doesn't iPhone use the exact same Gorilla Glass that EVERY OTHER SMARTPHONE IN THE MARKET USES?

One phone ain't gonna scratch more than another one when all pretty much using the same kinds of displays.

Solution: screen protector, and/or, caution.

^This^ is where I'm at: unless Corning is screwing with their stocks to Apple, at which point Apple needs to crack the whip and take a big bite out of them. But I sort of doubt that, it would be routine to QC the glass deliveries. As Ronnie has revealed: Trust: but verify!

• Reply 117 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Sorry, that was stainless steel, not chrome. The point remains that it would get scratched no matter you did. Dust inside the case would scratch it.

Nope, polished aluminum,

And, my daughter has one (that she carried daily for years till she got the iPhone a couple years ago) that has almost no scratches (was always in a case.) So... no there as well, scratching up the back wasn't inevitable.

• Reply 118 of 215
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

That's a Corning marketing strategy.  Selling it's newest Gorilla 4 to Apple.

• Reply 119 of 215
    No scratches on my 6...but it's slipped out of a pocket twice now...and the screen has cracked each time.

This after dozens of identical drops survived by my 4.

For the protector-phobic: my Skinomi is perfect. Full-body skin, and no one who's handled it has noticed it's there.

I WILL replace the screen...and get a case.
  • Reply 120 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider has seen the issue first hand from a user who carries their phone

Does this person have multiple personality disorder? If not, then "a" singular person is never referred to in the plural such as in "their". That's slang and poor grammar. A singular person is a he or a she. 

Professional articles from published writers should know this rule.